Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]
Oct 7, 2015 12:53 PM

Apr 2013
The feels train arrived two episodes before it's over dammit ;_;
Oct 8, 2015 8:54 PM

Dec 2013
kinda saw this coming but, damn, Its still really sad. This would be a wonderful device for terminally ill people.
Love and Peace!!!
Oct 10, 2015 5:25 AM

Jul 2013
Well, I guessed Yuuki was dying but never thought it would be of AIDS from an infected blood transfusion. That's sad. It's like watching Angels in America all over again minus Al Pacino. Awww.

It's a clever idea to use the full dive equipment so they aren't in pain though, plus they can have a virtual life. I bet a lot of real life people would like to try that.

So I guess she has 3 months left to live and Asuna is gonna get her to school somehow, a virtual one or real one though? I don't know.
Oct 20, 2015 2:25 AM

Jun 2012
Straight in the feels. . .

Oct 21, 2015 2:05 PM

Oct 2014
Knew it would be something like that. That last conversation in Alfeim this episode was pretty sad. I imagine next episode will be slightly more upbeat and then the final episode will be an absolute tear fest.
Oct 27, 2015 10:45 AM

Apr 2015
I was more scared than sad because I predicted the whole story almost from the start (-_-).
Well, I was probably like Kirito (who also guessed it) or Reki Kawahara in a sense though.
Good episode nonetheless^^
(except for the illness of choice though)
KorNkOct 27, 2015 10:51 AM
Nov 5, 2015 11:47 AM

Jul 2009
So sad, she is dying =/
Nov 15, 2015 8:35 AM

Dec 2013
* Currently preparing myself for the FEELZ*
Nov 26, 2015 3:58 PM

Sep 2013
I knew theyre going to die. It was kinda obvious to me.
Dec 30, 2015 2:39 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty good episode. The second half of sao was pretty dull but it seems it will get a strong ending.
Jan 21, 2016 1:42 PM

Feb 2015
Amazing episode. Full of emotions and sadness, made me cry tears joy and sorrow ..
I knew i loved SAO all the way.
Feb 7, 2016 10:09 PM
Feb 2016
Coming from a young man who has lived with HIV for five years since I was 19. I couldn't be more emotional watching this. Having worked in an HIV clinic after I was diagnosed I couldn't help but cry from gratitude of not having a med resistant strain like she and so many others do. I'm so grateful for this plot line. It may be sad and unfair ultimately; but it isn't spoken of enough. This is honestly the first time I've seen HIV/AIDS even brought up in an anime, let alone a good anime such as this. I'll forever be grateful for this breathtakingly beautiful character and her story~
#feelssoprofound
Feb 24, 2016 11:48 AM
Feb 2016
I think these episodes with Asuna have been cool but, I wanna see more Kirito :/
Mar 5, 2016 7:38 PM

Sep 2014
I think I'm missing something. Why are they best friends already? I thought they only knew each other for a day? Why are they so close on that brother&brother/sister&sister level?

Also you have to have some kind of disease for wanting to go to school. LOL
May 2, 2016 8:13 PM

Dec 2009
Oh god that whole episode was a feels bomb.

So she has AIDS. God not Yuuki.... shes like best girl by miles.
So much better than ALO arc. The dynamic between Asuna who can't live her life because of choices and Yuuki who can't because of circumstance is amazing.
May 20, 2016 7:02 PM

Apr 2016
Aww... Poor girl...
Remember back in episode 21, when Yuuki exited the game in tears after Asuna brought up the fact that Yuuki called her sister? Well now that we know why... Poor Yuuki. Not only does she have AIDS, but she also lost her sister to the same disease a while back. The fact that she was able to continue putting up such a smile and adorkably bubbly persona, must've been hard for her. It was still beautiful of her to do that regardless. Well, I hope the lot of you brought some tissues for the finale.
Jun 4, 2016 3:12 AM

Mar 2016
Just finished watching this.

Damn.

Cliched tropes, anvilicious emotional blackmail...

...I say, "So what?"

Cliches, if executed properly, are still valid. Emotions are always with us, even if the day-to-day grind buries them deeper than they probably should be, so sometimes it might take getting an anvil dropped on your soul to budge you.

So what?

I'll admit it: I'm a guy, and I bawled like a baby throughout the Asuna/Yuuki arc. More and more as it came to its inevitable, heartbreaking end. Show me someone who wouldn't cry at this, and I'll show you: a liar, or a sociopath, or a wannaba macho jerk too afraid to admit his own emotions. Or some combination of all three.

To the point above, years and years ago (more than I care to admit), I had my own "Yuuki." He was a boy named David, who joined our Boy Scout Troop. David was born with a congenital heart defect, and, due to oxygen deprivation during his birthing, was mildly retarded. I know that that's not the PC term nowadays, but I use the term kindly, for I am speaking of a dear friend. I like to think David was just "slow," as he could "get" anything you or I could, you just had to work with him some; it just took him a little longer to get there.

What impressed us most about David is that he didn't seem to know the meaning of the word "quit." The toughest concepts would elude him, but you could see him working it through until, like sunshine through a cloud, a big ol' smile would blossom across his face as he "got it." Once he got something, he'd practice it over and over until it stuck.

And if his defective heart slowed his physical body down some, well, then, he'd stop and rest up just a little bit before getting back up and pushing onward. Hiking. Swimming. Rock climbing. Canoeing. David wasn't going to be deterred from any of it.

As Senior Patrol Leader for our Troop, I got to work with David more than the other boys, and came to understand just how precious and remarkable and fragile people could be. And I came to deeply appreciate my own blessings of health and well-being, and to also come to have a deep and abiding respect for those who, due to circumstances beyond their control, have to work that much harder to have the richness of life that the rest of us take for granted.

Well, you probably know where this is going. Sometime in his 14th year of life, David's bad heart began giving out, and he didn't make it to his 15th birthday. I attended his funeral, of course; everyone in our Troop did, as well as dozens of kids from school. I was asked by his father, and was honored, to be a pall bearer for the diminutive coffin holding the mortal remains of this singular friend, taken all too soon from his life and ours.

The David/Yuuki resonance slammed me right to the depths of my soul, and I destroyed a box of tissues without regret throughout this whole story arc (like others, I spotted it coming, but didn't care; I'm not afraid to feel, or to even dig up old emotions and memories for some fresh air).

If the writer's yanked/tugged/ripped on my heartstrings with ruthless abandon, I can't blame them; after all, I gave them my heart to play with. The old adage, "Be careful who you give your heart to," is undoubtedly still good advice. Maybe I should've listened better.

But then again...so what?
I am the one you warned me of.
Dec 14, 2016 9:03 AM

Mar 2013
I cried up after seeing Yuuki like that in the hospital and how she and her family suffered :(

Wasn't expecting this. Good episode from SAO.

Also, are all members of Sleeping Knights terminally ill? Because the way Yuuki spoke about her sister and the three that left the guild, it felt like so :(
I wonder who's the other member besides her that has only so much of time left :((
Dec 30, 2016 3:32 PM

Aug 2011
Fai said:
THE FEEEEEEELS T_T

I feel like using farscape catchphrase for SAO2 again and again now....

Season of Death, Y'all....

One villain that is impossible to beat, no matter your strength and will always catch every single one of us eventually...

No matter how much strength you have no matter your life, no matter your friends, no matter your goals - you eventually face death.

All you can do is try to live the way so you won't regret even a minute. But what do you do when death starts ringing the doorbell a good few decades too early?

No wonder something as silly as name on the wall was so important.

Because its the proof that she existed. That they existed. That they did something before their lives ended prematurely.

Beautifully said,
Jan 14, 2017 5:32 AM

Dec 2010
What a good story, I'm glad it's become a part of SAO.
MeritasJan 14, 2017 5:35 AM
Jan 20, 2017 4:41 PM

Jul 2014
"Tonight, on a very special SAO..."
Jan 24, 2017 9:59 PM

May 2013
Ahh. I figured she was dying or something, but didn't think some of the others were too D':

The names on the wall is kind of like the wall for heroes that were KIA :(
Feb 14, 2017 7:41 AM

Apr 2013
Wow, talk about a fu***d up fate. One question though, did her family die of AIDS too? Because i'm wondering how on earth all of them are dead by this time. The fact that Sleeping Knights is a terminal illness support group really took me by surprise though in hindsight it actually makes a lot of sense.
my only complain for this arc, at the moment and excluding that utterly pointless Kirito faux last-stand, is that the development feels way too rushed. i mean they only got to know each other about 2-3 days ago, the writer really could have made Asuna adventure with them a bit more (at least two weeks), enough so that when they broke communications after clearing the Boss, Asuna's reaction would have come across as more genuine. Then again this is SAO, so i really shouldn't expect anything more. tbh i'm still shocked that we actually got an arc like this!
Mar 19, 2017 11:20 PM

Dec 2016
I feel really sad for Yuuki, but I am glad she met a great friend like Asuna.
Jun 21, 2017 7:15 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
A lot of feelings this episode

Jul 8, 2017 11:53 AM

Nov 2016
Quite sad episode.

I was already wondering why they make a big deal out of the fact that they're gonna be busy with their lifes.

Not believing in a tragic end here, so I wonder what kind of miracle/asspull may happen.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 27, 2017 5:31 PM

Dec 2015
I didn't expect this to end with an AIDS transfusion story. Wow. Poor girl!
Aug 18, 2017 5:51 PM

Apr 2009
She got AIDS from blood transfusion? WTF Japan! What happened to stringent blood testing?
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 15, 2018 4:34 AM

May 2016
Man that was definitely thw saddest episode of SAO series, I hope she can find peace before she dies.
Feb 17, 2018 10:50 AM

Sep 2012
tofei said:
She got AIDS from blood transfusion? WTF Japan! What happened to stringent blood testing?

yea seriously, that kind of screw up is death sentence worthy, i mean who is at fault should get death sentence
Apr 17, 2018 12:37 AM
Feb 2018
I already assumed that the sleeping knights were people with terminal diseases.

The episode was sad but it felt forced to me.
Oct 3, 2018 4:45 AM

Feb 2018
i knew something was up with the sleeping knights!!
and i knew something was up with yuuki especially the foreshadowing with them wanting to leave there names on a monument..its almost like your going somewhere else
or your marking your own tombstone
no one stops playing mmos...

lol yea i didnt expect that end scene with asuna and yuuki in the vr world to hit me so hard ;_;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2019 6:40 PM
Dec 2017
Let's pretend that I didn't cried this episode😭😭😭
Jul 12, 2019 1:30 PM

Feb 2014
I kind of figured they were terminally ill patients, but didn't think they would give them an actual illness, let alone AIDS. I was expecting the usual "girl with a weak body" cliche that's done to death.

I would have liked to see a bit more of actual interactions between Yuuki and Asuna. Apparently they've spent so much time with each other and gotten so close that Yuuki always talks about her IRL, but we've hardly seen any of it beyond the couple of quests they've done together, so it's hard to care much about their relationship or buy any of the drama. But this was still pretty sad nonetheless.
Aug 16, 2019 1:48 PM
Apr 2016
Awwh, Yuuki, she can't be saved, that's unfortunate. Poor Asuna, having to go through all this.
Sep 11, 2019 1:31 PM

Aug 2017
Yuuki is going to die, noooo.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 2, 2020 3:33 PM

Mar 2013
Oh no best girl....
Jun 22, 2020 3:06 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I'm really glad Asuna is having a whole arc focus on her at last. Heartbreaking reveal about Yuuki in this episode.
Jul 31, 2020 1:02 AM
Aug 2017
Why am crying pls no
Nov 20, 2020 10:00 PM

Aug 2019
This was a really sad episode. I really loved Yuuki and the rest of the Sleeping Knights and it's absolutely heartbreaking to here not much time is left for them. The soundtracks are really freaking good this arc. I nearly cried a couple times. Sort of scared to keep going but lets do it. Praying for a happy ending.
Apr 13, 2021 11:33 AM

Dec 2018
Damn, SAO actually made me shed tears. I saw this coming a mile away but still, it worked. I am guessing at the end of the arc Asuna is going to become passionate about living and having a dream just like Yuuki.
Jun 25, 2021 3:21 PM
Jun 2021
Damn I was not expecting SAO to be a tear jerker. Really sad episode especially because I actually love Yuuki's character.
Oct 30, 2022 11:51 AM

Mar 2019
So everyone in that guild is in the same situation as Yuuki?

I feel even worse for her because of her parents and sister dying one after another. Touching episode.
Alex_TheForestOct 30, 2022 11:54 AM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 3, 2023 5:49 PM

Feb 2022
AIDS is a tough topic, no "good" way or "right time" to bring it up. I lost family to that messed-up disease, so I have a perspective many others' might not. I've always respected how anime writers approach difficult topics respectfully and tastefully, and this is no exception. They had huge stones for even attempting it, and deserve credit for doing it as well as they did.
Jul 25, 2023 3:55 PM

Aug 2019
maybe she is just a tomboy? the doctor said yuuki-kun and at least the subs used "she".
and why would a doctor tell government secrets and info about their patients to a random girl?
and weve seen yuuki for what three eps and now we are told she is dying? are they expecting us to be attatched to the character already?

also episode name stolen from terraria 1.4 update
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2023 8:29 AM

Nov 2023
WHAT! I feel bad for Yuuki gahhdamn man,,...
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Karoshi- - Dec 20, 2014

618 by MinaseNagi »»
Apr 17, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

958 by maki_evergarden »»
Mar 17, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 25, 2014

289 by erixqh »»
Feb 22, 12:26 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2014

762 by minu11 »»
Jan 26, 5:10 AM

» While you're watching Season 2

Bijou146 - Jan 14

23 by katnissmaezie »»
Jan 24, 11:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.