Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 14, 2009 10:55 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm starting to think that Texhnolyze is more than a little underrated on this site. These first 5 episodes have been nearly perfect. The show continues to intersperse Kazuho and Ichise's point of view, so obviously the two of them are of equal importance to the story. It's also suggested that Ran may have used her powers to save Ichise but, again, I thought all she could do was tell the immediate future.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 11, 2010 8:59 PM
Dec 2009
i agree, these irst five episodes have been awesome, im really getting attached to the story
i think ran did help ichise at the end, so that one guy has a texhnolyzed arm too
i wonder whats the deal between shinjis people and organo
Feb 27, 2010 12:03 AM
Dec 2008
It's.......trippy.

This is one spun-out Anime that definently won't appeal to everyone. The reason I started watching it was due to it being made by the same people that did Shigurui which I am a massive fan of.

I'm at ep 5 so there is lots I am to find out.

Tell me, what other 1st episode of an Anime goes for over 10 minutes before the first words are uttered?
Nov 3, 2010 7:18 AM

May 2009
Feb 9, 2011 8:00 PM

Apr 2009
javalu882005 said:

He even killed that pimp with that much bullets when one shot would have done the job, what's he raging about? And he seem to be gathering info about the politics of the town, I'm curious to what his intentions really is. He could be an agent from the surface but he openly announced he came from the surface world to anybody who asked.

I'm relieved and happy that I was right, in thinking that Ichise spared the female doctor's life last episode.

Ran guiding Ichise back to the street level with flowers no less is kinda sweet of her. : )
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 26, 2011 10:10 AM

Feb 2009
The colors in this series seriously depicts the nature of this show, different tones of black and grey, there's no warm colors here.

I wonder what are the intentions of that old dude from the surface. He seemed like a good guy, and then this happened... It probably has something to do with is past (obviously)

Anyway, my interest keeps picking up.
VeethornOct 26, 2011 10:16 AM
Dec 20, 2011 1:36 PM

Feb 2010
Veethorn said:
The colors in this series seriously depicts the nature of this show, different tones of black and grey, there's no warm colors here.

Well, there were right there at the end when Ran found Ichise passed out. But otherwise, it is a lot of neutral and dark colors. Way different than anything I've ever watched before.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Jan 14, 2012 5:18 PM

Nov 2011
This episode was hard to watch. Its the first time I thought to give up on the series. I too didn't understand why SPOILER ALERT Kazuho killed that prostitute. Was it a mercy killing? Did Ran guide Ichise out of the sewer? How could she do that? What I can't understand is why Ichise fought back after getting his arm cut off. Wasn't that enough? Why did he reject that bowl of food that woman gave him before he got texhnolyzed? Why did he run away from the doctor before his texhnolyzed limbs got covered? Why did his arm get cut off in the first place?
Jan 17, 2012 5:22 PM

Nov 2011
Meritas said:
At first I though this episode is pointless. But then again this anime has great soundtrack. In the worst moment great theme sounded and I actually felt good about this episode. Still, Ichisse is annoying the crap out of me. I can't understand nothing of his actions so I really hope we'll get nice explanation for everything he's doing. Ran's intentions are full of mystery either, for me.

I'm listening to the man of men soundtrack on youtube now, I've listened to the music but music only music soundtrack as well. I find Ran mysterious too, she's my favorite character.
Feb 20, 2012 5:59 AM

Apr 2009
I loved that deepy soundtrack towards the end there.

Anyways, what a smart little cookie Ran is! <3
I hope we see some bubbly action between Ran and Mr. Robo-guy-whose-name-I-think-is-Ichise.
Jun 2, 2012 11:28 PM

Aug 2010
Not sure why he killed that prostitute. Like pit_bull mentioned, it could have been a mercy kill.
Jul 25, 2012 4:34 PM

Jul 2012
Homolust said:
Not sure why he killed that prostitute. Like pit_bull mentioned, it could have been a mercy kill.

That's the only explanation I can come up with as well, I think he believes she would never be free of that city and that life, death would be the only real release. A decent and tranquil death was all that he could offer.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Dec 3, 2012 4:17 AM

Jun 2010
Ran obliviously sees something in Ichise's future that interests her. I didn't expect her to be so caring though (ie, stroking his air). Her eyes make me think she's a little benevolent. Although maybe she's just watching the future all the time, as well as the present.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2013 3:01 AM

May 2012
Does anyone know a site which has episode 5-22 available for streaming/download (in Europe)?
Feb 6, 2013 4:20 PM

Jan 2012
Why the hell did he kill the sex slave? I have no idea what is he thinking.

Mar 5, 2013 6:59 AM

Oct 2012
I'm thinking mercy kill

Mar 14, 2013 11:53 AM

Sep 2008
he got info out of her and killed her to take care of a 'loose end'. Happens all the time in the movies
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 1, 2013 4:17 AM

Aug 2007
I find myself drawn towards Kazuho the most so far.
I really want to know his motives and why he would visit a place like Lux.
I'd like to think that he was giving the prostitute a mercy killing, because he genially seemed to care for her and mean it when he said, "You really are beautiful."

Jun 2, 2013 1:57 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Don't have much to say about this anime so far.
Jun 11, 2013 8:50 PM

Dec 2012
Several observations

1. Stairs are Ichise's worst enemy. Seriously, I dunno what they're a symbol for yet, but they're important.
2. I like the mustache guy. Holy fuck, dat kill was unexpected
3. This show is really fucking good
4. these characters have quite the penchant for odd mouth noises
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jul 9, 2013 12:10 AM

Apr 2013
Wow, I'm digging this series. I love the atmosphere, the mystery, the voice acting, everything.

Also, Ran <3 She's really the only bright light in this otherwise bleak anime.
Powerful eyebrows.
Aug 29, 2013 5:04 AM
May 2012
I feel sorry for Ichise but what the fuck is he doing? and Ran is sweet her eyes are beautiful and the ending song I can't skip it it's awesome.
Sep 26, 2013 2:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This is a seriously underrated here in MAL. Goes to show that I should rarely judge anime after their score here. This series is excellently well put together and has an intriguing story set in a bewildering setting. Just perfect.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 6, 2013 1:49 PM

Nov 2009
He really needs to learn how to use his arm and his leg . . . I really don't get why he is so rabid though.
Mar 9, 2014 1:08 PM

Jun 2011
Angelic_Fortune said:
I'm thinking mercy kill

Hmm can't be sure of that yet, it seems like he straggled her, and it's not really the easiest way to die. It would've been easier to put a hole in her head.

When I am watching this, 20minutes passed by so fast, the atmosphere is really well done, it sucks me in.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 15, 2014 8:04 AM

May 2012
Impressive episode, with some really nice development, so let's see what's next!
Apr 26, 2014 2:42 AM
Nov 2013
So much about Ichise' motives to be revealed.
I'm really digging the serenity of this anime in juxtaposition with the nature of man...
"I am bender please insert girder." - Ichise
Jan 2, 2015 10:37 AM

Aug 2014
It was sad to see how Ichise struggled with his new texhnolyzed limbs and how shit his life was even after getting his new limbs. They have done such a great job of portraying how depressing and harsh humanity can be all within this dark grey city. I wonder if everyone has trouble adjusting to texhnolyzed limbs or if its the fact that his are the special new kind that the doctor gave him which are harder to adjust to. It was cool to see just how driven Ichise is to live because he seemed like he was just gonna give up on life down in those dark sewers but then he saw that flower and he followed it desperately to the surface. In this episode it also showed that the older man with the mustache and hat is a pretty swell-guy on the inside.

Jan 18, 2015 3:29 AM

May 2011
Awesome portrayal of his struggle in full view, "Loiter". "A man can be destroyed but not defeated." The sheer desire which drives Ichise to survive is astounding, to the point it is beyond human capabilities. That also includes his occasional outbursts - although thus far they have prove to be repercussive for him. I hope the anime turns his strengths into something of a trump card for him further on in the series.

Again Yoshii is not a protagonist of this series - something which has bothered me for quite some time. Will his story be just a side to the entire of events? Or just to be passed on to someone else (like Shinji)? His cynicism is choking me, which includes the events towards the end.

(The Old Man and the Sea references throughout the episode though.) 5/5
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Feb 13, 2015 2:52 AM
Jul 2014
This is really interesting!
Feb 26, 2015 12:50 AM

Jul 2013
This anime is seriously interesting. Although I find Ichise's lack of words and heavy breathing really annoying. All we hear through half of the episode is 'grroooah, graa... aaa..argh'. I prefered the quiet atmosphere plus music from the first episode. Hope it will change.
Apr 11, 2015 7:42 PM

Nov 2013
ichise's constant grunt noises are starting to get a lil much
"He's a player??? THE ONLY THING HE BE PLAYIN IS A HENTAI DATING SIM THAT FAKER"
May 29, 2015 3:28 PM

Jan 2014
Great episode,the atmosphere is impressive.
Jun 2, 2015 3:57 AM
Dec 2014
holy fuck this is good
Jun 8, 2015 7:27 AM
Nov 2014
Good episode, Ichise's struggle to walk in his new limbs was hard to watch. I guess Ran saved him at the end by breaking the metal or something ?
Jul 12, 2015 10:35 AM

Nov 2014
I'm getting so tired of listening to Ichise's yelling and heavy breathing. And he's such a stupid brute. Watching him try to break his new limbs really irritated me.
Jul 28, 2015 2:33 AM

Feb 2015
Ichise seems to have no goal whatsoever. He just wonders around aimlessly trying to survive. I didn't like the mustache guy before but he turned out to be very interesting. He doesn't believe in half measures apparently. I wonder if he and Ichise will meet up.
Aug 15, 2015 4:09 PM

Dec 2010
I really hate these episodes consisting of Ichise's suffering.

Ran helping Ichise was indeed sweet though.
Nov 4, 2015 6:51 PM

Jul 2012
pit_bull said:
This episode was hard to watch. Its the first time I thought to give up on the series. I too didn't understand why SPOILER ALERT Kazuho killed that prostitute. Was it a mercy killing? Did Ran guide Ichise out of the sewer? How could she do that? What I can't understand is why Ichise fought back after getting his arm cut off. Wasn't that enough? Why did he reject that bowl of food that woman gave him before he got texhnolyzed? Why did he run away from the doctor before his texhnolyzed limbs got covered? Why did his arm get cut off in the first place?

Answers to your questions within the spoiler button.
PocketChocolateNov 4, 2015 6:54 PM
Dec 8, 2015 10:47 AM

Jan 2013
RediceRyan said:
Great episode.
Don't have much to say about this anime so far.

It's how I feel aswell, I'm just going along with the show.
Feb 1, 2016 7:23 PM

Jun 2013
Other than getting some pimpin' new Texhnolyzed installed, Ichise can't seem to get a break. Still, it's nice that Ran seemed to have helped him out quite a bit.
臭い-
Jul 6, 2016 9:03 PM

Apr 2014
The guy just killed 2 people in cold blood. Damn
themanualreader@proton.me
Aug 29, 2016 1:46 PM

May 2010
You know I sympathized with the main character in the first 2 episodes, but he's beyond stupid. I don't even get him- no I don't care if I get him or not. He's helpless and he refuses to accept help. Annoying.
Wth they threw him into a sewer. Okay good idc. They could throw him into a volcano and I wouldn't care a bit. He would survive anyway. Got "will to live" but no will to "do anything of worth".

Yoshii makes a better MC. Tho I'm not that into him either. At least he got something.
Feb 8, 2017 8:03 PM
Nov 2016
Why are people so confused about this ep, especially when it's one of the more straightforward ones?
Ichise wants to be human, even if it means destroying his prosthetic limbs. Really simple.
Ram followed him, went to one of the entrances of the sewer, and simply dropped flowers to guide Ichise.
Yoshii killed the woman out of mercy, most likely.
You just have to pay attention a little.
Mar 13, 2017 11:42 PM

Mar 2012
show has really good story and background, but a boring main character...I'm not sure if I can sit and watch 22 episodes of him throwing punches at everyone he sees, it's starting to get.....boring...hopefully some character development soon...I won't last that much longer

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 25, 2017 8:14 AM

Nov 2016
At least he had the decency to give her the D and some sweet talk before killing her, in his eyes it was better for her to die, than living a life with such a messed up body and not getting some love at all.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 2, 2017 7:55 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
boi, Ichinose's grunting sure is getting annoying.
Beside that tho, its pretty interesting so far...but yeah, the gruntings.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 14, 2018 8:25 AM

Mar 2012
The "mercy" kill was bullshit. He doesn't have the right to kill someone just because he feels it's better than if that person kept living the way the were. She even wanted to be free and fix her life but instead of helping her he robs her of any possibility of that happening. That's fucking terrible.
Aug 29, 2018 12:43 AM
Jul 2018
This episode was simply INCREDIBLE
Jan 23, 2019 6:22 PM

May 2013
CrimsonBagel said:

"Why did Kazuho kill the prostitute? Was it mercy killing?"
A lot of people say it was a mercy kill, and, probably so. However, by this point, nobody really knows his motives. Perhaps he killed her because she wanted a life on the surface, outside of Lux, but perhaps there's nothing there that isn't as bad as it is in Lux, thus no escape for her, hence a probable mercy kill.

Good point, though i thought the opposite. Maybe there is a better world up there, but no one seems willing to even go look. Everyone seems comfortable in their suffering, and so make up excuses for not even trying to make their lives better. Their lack of desire to even look for a better place shows that they also lack the will to make things better where they are now. If she had maybe asked him to take her with him to the surface, maybe that "will to survive" that's being so obsessed over in Ichise, could have been recognized in her, but since it wasn't, mercy kill. Same conclusion, but different reaaoning :)
The violence with which he killed her boyfriend seemed intentionally contrasted with the quietness of the death he gave her. Maybe some advance technology drug to kill her in her sleep.
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - May 6, 2009

174 by chow141 »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 14, 2009

66 by Sanak_ »»
Apr 4, 4:08 AM

» If you connected with any of these characters, why?

sheaswee - Feb 7

14 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 31, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

loghneckbeard - Apr 28, 2010

53 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zepwich - Dec 9, 2009

63 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.