Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 27, 2014 5:35 PM

Feb 2012
Emi's performance was INSANELY good! Aiza's performance was incredible too. I'm sorta doubting if Arima can top those two in his current condition.

Ryouta really is something! I Lol'd when he said how cute Emi was in front of his school crush, Kaori. Lol

Please let next episode be Arima's turn to play and not too much on flashbacks.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Nov 27, 2014 5:57 PM

Dec 2013
Arima's so going to fuck up his performance in the next episode
Nov 27, 2014 6:11 PM

Jul 2012
Powerful episode. Emi's performance was the one that stood out between the two. In Emi's performance, the red/yellow/autumn symbollism was a great added touch, which sold the performance.

The animation of their fingers moving on the keyboard is fricking amazing. Nodame Cantabile should have had this much detail too. I also really like how they put in two backstories/motivation stories into this episode and it felt so natural.

I'm looking forward to next week. Another performance episode eeee

btw Mini Kousei is adorable!
MayukaNov 27, 2014 6:17 PM
Nov 27, 2014 6:23 PM

Sep 2011
Both performances were really good. Welp, Friend A-kun is screwed! Sure, we already knew that, it just got confirmed now.
Nov 27, 2014 6:30 PM

Aug 2014
Very enthralling episode. I liked both performances, but it's kinda clear Emi was better than Takeshi this time. No wonder, though, since for the first time she has an inspiration. Takeshi's probably the first genuinely funny character thus far, so big ups on that.

Something tells me Arima's going to screw up next time. Little Kousei is just... too cute.

5/5.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Nov 27, 2014 7:23 PM

Jul 2014
Omg, another beautiful episode!
Nov 27, 2014 7:37 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.
Great performances by Aiza and Igawa.
LOL at Aiza being easily praised by Arima.
Cannot wait for Kousei to perform.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 27, 2014 7:41 PM
Jul 2018
Emi looked pretty in her red dress.

Little Emi's nervousness toward to Kousei's piano play was funny.
Nov 27, 2014 7:42 PM

Feb 2008
Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 4, an incredibly hard piece to play, still haven't managed to nail it down to this day. Loved the episode, cant wait for next week's episode and to see how Arima does.
Nov 27, 2014 8:05 PM

Dec 2013
Wow. That was amazing! The use of colors, portrayal of emotion, the music, the mood, atmosphere, dialogue.. It all came together in such a beautiful way, truly the best episode so far but still a ways to go!

Emi was outstanding, honestly I would prefer if she won this competition. I don't see Arima being able to pull it off this time, it's still early in the series.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Nov 27, 2014 8:09 PM

Jul 2013
[B]EMI = BEST GIRL IN SERIES CONFIRMED[/B]
The best anime is the Road to El Dorado
Nov 27, 2014 8:37 PM

Aug 2014
After watching Emi and Takeshi performance which were both great I am pumped for the next episode to see how Kousei perform and maybe outperform them.
Nov 27, 2014 8:41 PM

Oct 2013
I really like the performances especially Emi's. I can't wait for Kousei to play. Will he outperform them or will he screw it up. Although from the looks of the preview, it looks like he is still going to battle his "can't hear myself playing the piano" thingy.
Nov 27, 2014 8:41 PM

Oct 2013
I really like the performances especially Emi's. I can't wait for Kousei to play. Will he outperform them or will he screw it up. Although from the looks of the preview, it looks like he is still going to battle his "can't hear myself playing the piano" thingy.
Nov 27, 2014 8:47 PM

May 2009
I'll bet Kousei's going to screw it up
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Nov 27, 2014 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
PrinceTY said:
The only moment I lol-ed is when they tried over dramatised the reaction of Aiza's teacher and Arima before Emi plunged straight into the fast descending runs of Winter Wind. I mean, you're like a piano instructor, you should have known the piece. Everyone knows Winter Wind. Why are you all acting so surprised? Hah.

Because shonen ("It's over nine thousand"-effect, you know).

rsc-pl said:
And I don't think that performances are the best aspect of this anime.
The whole atmosphere, that thoughts and dialogues are essence of show! Classical music is just a distant background for great storyline and characters development.

This guy gets it.

Nice episode, it was so beautifully done !
Earlier, I said Shigatsu wasn't strictly about the music itself, but about characters development of people who play the music. This episode convinced me that it's not the wrong path.
And it's absolutely not a flaw, it's quite the contrary actually. I sincerely think one of the meaning behind this show is that music is nothing without people, people who compose it, people who play it, people who listen to it.
Sure, you can try to prove you're a musician in a several way :

- By doing a lot of name-dropping and using a lot of musical terms. But is this music ? Certainly not, it's important but this is knowledge, at best.

- You can read a score. But is this music ? I don't think so. A score is a score, a paper with a lot drawings, it's important but this is not the music.

What Shigatsu is trying to say is that, eventually, the music is you, you are the music.
So, as a consequence, Shigatsu is about people, because people are the music.

If we think that way, then, this episode was simply great.
Nov 27, 2014 9:05 PM

Jul 2012
-Skyleo- said:
rsc-pl said:
And I don't think that performances are the best aspect of this anime.
The whole atmosphere, that thoughts and dialogues are essence of show! Classical music is just a distant background for great storyline and characters development.

This guy gets it.

Nice episode, it was so beautifully done !
Earlier, I said Shigatsu wasn't strictly about the music itself, but about characters development of people who play the music. This episode convinced me that it's not the wrong path.
And it's absolutely not a flaw, it's quite the contrary actually. I sincerely think one of the meaning behind this show is that music is nothing without people, people who compose it, people who play it, people who listen to it.
Sure, you can try to prove you're a musician in a several way :

- By doing a lot of name-dropping and using a lot of musical terms. But is this music ? Certainly not, it's important but this is knowledge, at best.

- You can read a score. But is this music ? I don't think so. A score is a score, a paper with a lot drawings, it's important but this is not the music.

What Shigatsu is trying to say is that, eventually, the music is you, you are the music.
So, as a consequence, Shigatsu is about people, because people are the music.

If we think that way, then, this episode was simply great.

+1
Nov 27, 2014 9:14 PM

Aug 2007
Great ep! Everything flowed really well. The performances their whole backstory of what Arima did to them even seeing their true intentions while they were playing. A little sad Kousei isn't playing now but it should make the next one a good one!

Sent with Mal Updater
Nov 27, 2014 9:52 PM

Jan 2009
Such a good episode. The performances, the OST, flow of the episode and the pace seems nice, too.

This episode made me like Emi so much, much more.
Nov 27, 2014 10:17 PM
Jul 2014
pacuuuuu3 said:

Of course he's going to

Like some child genius that hasn't practiced for 2 years that's gonna come back suddenly and stomp everyone
Nov 27, 2014 10:19 PM

Feb 2014
HeavensFall said:
pacuuuuu3 said:

Of course he's going to

Like some child genius that hasn't practiced for 2 years that's gonna come back suddenly and stomp everyone

That's not the main issue, but his problem (trauma, whatever you want it to be) that imposes him to get uneasy about his own playing.
Nov 27, 2014 10:33 PM

May 2010
The animation was so well done during Emi's performance.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 27, 2014 10:52 PM

Jan 2013
Now I'm rooting for EmixKousei :>
Nov 27, 2014 11:00 PM

Feb 2014
As always, this anime never ceases to amaze me. The performances are really nice, can't wait to see what Kousei has to bring to the table.
:)
Nov 28, 2014 12:02 AM

Sep 2010
And of course we still don't get to hear Arima play.. Sigh.
Nov 28, 2014 12:58 AM

Jan 2013
Once again it was great.
Both performances were pretty good and transmitted well the feelings, do they record piano performances or do they go search for it?
Nov 28, 2014 1:04 AM

May 2013
Let it ring.

All I can say is, Kousei better be dominating those two because their performance was really great. I have faith in him that he'll show those two who's the number one pianist. Don't disappoint me please!
Nov 28, 2014 1:06 AM
Jan 2014
Silver4000 said:
Once again it was great.
Both performances were pretty good and transmitted well the feelings, do they record piano performances or do they go search for it?

It's probably recorded. The animated hands you see in this anime are traced over versions of the actual hands that played the music.
Nov 28, 2014 1:18 AM

Oct 2007
The most amazingest thing that has ever amazing in the history of amazingness etc.

At least this one had Saori Hayami in her natural element in all fairness though. The way this show does it's dialogue so overly dramatically only to burst into random moments of slapstick comedy and Natsuki Hanae's continued poor performance of the Kousei character though continue to make this come across as very amateurish. It's such an on the nose show and not really in a good way most of the time.

Still not sure why people are so ridiculously psyched and losing their minds about like every episode of this so far though. Not sure what it is with people but it continues to feel really over the top. There really must be some effect that A-1 has on MAL that makes them just go head over heels. Do people honestly believe the things they are saying or is it just hype nonsense doing the talking as it often seems with a lot of stuff.
PeacingOutNov 28, 2014 1:24 AM
Nov 28, 2014 1:23 AM

Nov 2011
Don't know why i'm expecting Kousei to fail hard and i've been waiting for it to happen for the last 2 eps, have to wait 7 more days.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 28, 2014 1:31 AM
Jan 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:
The most amazingest thing that has ever amazing in the history of amazingness etc.

At least this one had Saori Hayami in her natural element in all fairness though. The way this show does it's dialogue so overly dramatically only to burst into random moments of slapstick comedy and Natsuki Hanae's continued poor performance of the Kousei character though continue to make this come across as very amateurish. It's such an on the nose show and not really in a good way most of the time.

Still not sure why people are so ridiculously psyched and losing their minds about like every episode of this so far though. Not sure what it is with people but it continues to feel really over the top. There really must be some effect that A-1 has on MAL that makes them just go head over heels. Do people honestly believe the things they are saying or is it just hype nonsense doing the talking as it often seems with a lot of stuff.

Because it's THAT good. It's nothing to do with A1 pictures or MAL or whatever. Just admit you have the taste of a pleb and fail to recognise good anime when you see it.
Nov 28, 2014 1:42 AM

Oct 2007
PrinceTY said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Because it's THAT good. It's nothing to do with A1 pictures or MAL or whatever. Just admit you have the taste of a pleb and fail to recognise good anime when you see it.

I think it's good enough for what it is but I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not losing my shit over it or anything exactly. I don't automatically find a show a masterpiece just because it's flashy when it wants to be and has some form of melodrama to it's proceedings. Perhaps if it felt a little more realistic in the kinds of issues it chooses to depict it might make the difference but for me pretty much no episode has been worth much more than a 3 or a 4 vote on that poll up there. It'd be nice if the characters showed a bit more growth rather than just raw emotion all the time but having read the manga I know that's just how it is with this story.
PeacingOutNov 28, 2014 1:47 AM
Nov 28, 2014 1:55 AM
Dec 2013
Good to see both of them play. Finally Arima's turn next. Awesome episode, feelings are getting really intense.
Nov 28, 2014 3:27 AM
Jun 2014
What a great ep! ^3^
So far, I'm enjoying this whole piano competition more than the actual romance story to the anime itself.
I'm just honestly not feeling this whole KouseixKaori thing.
Perhaps it's still a little too early in the anime?

Overall, I really love the performances of Takeshi and Emi. I hope they can become good friends with Kousei after this ~ they are enjoyable characters.
Can't wait to see Kousei's recital next! I hope he wins!
He's up against some amazing competition. Good luck Kousei >< ~
Nov 28, 2014 4:11 AM

Jul 2010
What Emi enters the competition to reject Kosei? Pathetic.
yeo
Nov 28, 2014 4:14 AM
Mar 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:

... Or they just love what they're seeing for what it is and you should just stop being ridiculous and trash talking the show every episode at every single chance you got. We get it, you don't like it as much as everyone else. You don't think the show is that great and doesn't deserve all the praise. That's all fine and dandy. But just admit it's a matter of taste instead of keeping on spewing offensive stuff about the studio, the production company and the MAL community. It's unwelcome, really.

Seriously, this is one of those shows where I can truly feel the love and care the creators are pouring into it and that makes it very endearing to me. I think lots of its fans feel the same way. But apparently we're just losing our minds and were just bought into the hype and Aniplex-A1 is evil for making the show pretty and all that.

No need to reply to me, btw, Kaioshin-sama. I've read your posts more than enough to know how useless it is to actually try to respond to you. I just can't stand it anymore this time and have to let some of it out of my system.
Nov 28, 2014 5:42 AM

May 2013
Smudy said:
I'm out of words.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Nov 28, 2014 6:04 AM

Sep 2014
Brilliant episode. Takeshi and Emi certainly are great rivals for Arima.
I knew that this episode would end with their playing and not Arima's. Well, we'll see him playing next week. But I think he'll probably have a lot of trouble.
Nov 28, 2014 6:30 AM

Sep 2009
So emi look up to kousei before he turns into a machine, and takeshi looks up to the machine kousei...hence their playing style.
Nov 28, 2014 8:46 AM

May 2014
I don't even.... just YES. SO MUCH YES.

I don't even know how this can do bad after this episode. This episode and the episode with Kousei and Kaori's performance were the best so far. And the next episode promises so much. Emi's piano playing was bloody fantastic , just sayin'.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Nov 28, 2014 9:36 AM
Aug 2013
That atmosphere was so tense
Beutfifull playing :) I hope Arima starts up a spectacular show
Nov 28, 2014 10:33 AM

Oct 2007
--Ryuuen-- said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

... Or they just love what they're seeing for what it is and you should just stop being ridiculous and trash talking the show every episode at every single chance you got. We get it, you don't like it as much as everyone else. You don't think the show is that great and doesn't deserve all the praise. That's all fine and dandy. But just admit it's a matter of taste instead of keeping on spewing offensive stuff about the studio, the production company and the MAL community. It's unwelcome, really.

Seriously, this is one of those shows where I can truly feel the love and care the creators are pouring into it and that makes it very endearing to me. I think lots of its fans feel the same way. But apparently we're just losing our minds and were just bought into the hype and Aniplex-A1 is evil for making the show pretty and all that.

No need to reply to me, btw, Kaioshin-sama. I've read your posts more than enough to know how useless it is to actually try to respond to you. I just can't stand it anymore this time and have to let some of it out of my system.

You seem like an actual reasonable rational person on MAL so let me just put it this, I think we both no in the long run that that's never good enough. You either have to be all in frothing at the mouth over the top fanboy about something or you're a hater. It's a joke and that's how I choose to approach it.

A-1 also doesn't give two shits about anything more than making money and stroking it's corporate ego with the occasional half baked style over substance project like this (they couldn't even be bothered to cast a better seiyuu as the MC who also certainly would have helped matters a lot) or not play up the whole hero worship of certain cast members thing at every turn compared to the manga (not to mention how it plays every scene as overwrought dramatically as possible just in case the hype crowd might not pick up on something and fail to get their hype thing going for a minute or two) so no I can't say I feel the love flowing into this show so much as they're just doing their little adaptation and surprisingly decently when they feel like it if artificially enough for a change and doing so in a way they think will make them some bank. If people can't see through to that then well they're more gullible than I thought. I'd sooner just stick to the manga in any case, cause then I don't have to listen to Natsuki Hanae (who is clearly only here cause Aniplex is trying to push him hard as their next big lead actor even though he's clearly nowhere near ready for the lead roles they're giving him) struggle to emote his way through simple lines and dialogue while everyone else handles things naturally and like they know what they're doing.
PeacingOutNov 28, 2014 10:40 AM
Nov 28, 2014 11:20 AM

Oct 2009
I'm speechless O_O
Nov 28, 2014 11:43 AM

Nov 2013
I am absolutely in love with this anime!!! <3 It is just so BEAUTIFUL and pretty and awesome! Can`t wait for the next episode,in fact.. I NEED IT NOW~ :)))
This is where I`d put my signature...If i had one.
Nov 28, 2014 11:53 AM

Jan 2008
Am I the only person here who thinks that Hayama Saori is horribly miscast as Emi? Her peaceful, steady and bland-in-a-way voice doesn't fit that fiery young woman that Emi is (at least for now). I mean, Sayama might fit her if only she add a little "fire" to her performance, otherwise she's kinda... eeeeh, nope.
Nov 28, 2014 12:14 PM

Oct 2007
Ciara said:
Am I the only person here who thinks that Hayama Saori is horribly miscast as Emi? Her peaceful, steady and bland-in-a-way voice doesn't fit that fiery young woman that Emi is (at least for now). I mean, Sayama might fit her if only she add a little "fire" to her performance, otherwise she's kinda... eeeeh, nope.

To me that's one of the things A-1 actually did entirely right with this project so far. She seems plenty fired up and fit for that sort of role if you ask me, just she's an actually talented voice actor that realizes not every scene or instance needs to be as up in your grill with trying to impress the viewer somehow as possible so she plays the role as it's actually meant to be played based on the manga. April is Your Lie is actually supposed to be a lot more low key in terms of tone than A-1 has made it out to be with it's adaptation so maybe that's the disconnect. If anything the horrible miscast is Arima Kousei by quite a long shot. Guy can't find the range between flat as a board and cringe inducing overacting and ham-fisted delivery to save his life making the character come across as a whole lot more pathetic than the manga version. Perhaps this is a deliberate choice though since they really seem to be trying to play up the female cast members with this adaptation and make Kousei look more like kind of just a generic hapless harem lead to be pushed around in slapstick comedy scenes. In any case somebody involved really doesn't understand the character all that well be it Hanae or the project director, but at least Hayami clearly does.
PeacingOutNov 28, 2014 12:18 PM
Nov 28, 2014 12:36 PM

Jan 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:

To me that's one of the things A-1 actually did entirely right with this project so far. She seems plenty fired up and fit for that sort of role if you ask me, just she's an actually talented voice actor that realizes not every scene or instance needs to be as up in your grill with trying to impress the viewer somehow as possible so she plays the role as it's actually meant to be played based on the manga. April is Your Lie is actually supposed to be a lot more low key in terms of tone than A-1 has made it out to be with it's adaptation so maybe that's the disconnect.

I see. I didn't read the manga so I can't say much on that matter, but from what I saw in episodes 7 an 8 (or rather heard), Emi's voice didn't really click for me. I'm all for seiyuus doing their best to not get closed in one or two character archetypes, yet I can't shake the feeling that Hayama is just too soft-spoken for her. Actually it's not really matter of performance, it's just the timbre that doesn't sit well with me.

Kousei doesn't bother me, to be honest. His long monologues ARE cheesy and deep as Mariana Trench so that flat delivery actually fits them in a crazy way.
Nov 28, 2014 1:39 PM

Oct 2007
Ciara said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

To me that's one of the things A-1 actually did entirely right with this project so far. She seems plenty fired up and fit for that sort of role if you ask me, just she's an actually talented voice actor that realizes not every scene or instance needs to be as up in your grill with trying to impress the viewer somehow as possible so she plays the role as it's actually meant to be played based on the manga. April is Your Lie is actually supposed to be a lot more low key in terms of tone than A-1 has made it out to be with it's adaptation so maybe that's the disconnect.

I see. I didn't read the manga so I can't say much on that matter, but from what I saw in episodes 7 an 8 (or rather heard), Emi's voice didn't really click for me. I'm all for seiyuus doing their best to not get closed in one or two character archetypes, yet I can't shake the feeling that Hayama is just too soft-spoken for her. Actually it's not really matter of performance, it's just the timbre that doesn't sit well with me.

Kousei doesn't bother me, to be honest. His long monologues ARE cheesy and deep as Mariana Trench so that flat delivery actually fits them in a crazy way.

I've always found Saori Hayami's natural voice to be of the soft spoken but with a hint of subtle power and forcefulness behind it that makes it seem like you wouldn't want to ever cross one of her characters. Yes at face value she's very soft spoken, but very somehow at the same time very commanding in a way that gives her characters a certain presence and IMO undeniable at the same time more often than not. The best way I can describe it is the quality of her voice and intonation is very refined and regal, which to me fits this character perfectly.

I can sort of see why most people wouldn't hear that though since it's not something really obvious and straight up and it took a scene of her just going ballistic in that other show she's in this season to really get people to see in her what I feel I have for a couple years now. Personally I like it when a seiyuu is able to be both low key and natural yet have a certain aura and charisma to them at the same time. It's not something that's easy to do and not something that we get out of a lot of todays brand of seiyuu who really like to ham it up a lot of the time, yet she does it pretty consistently. I have a feeling I'll probably be alone on this though since the general rule is everything I think is good and done right most people think the opposite and vice versa.

Also I should say when I was reading the manga Saori Hayami's voice was actually exactly what I had in mind for an adaptation and pretty much the main thing I was looking forward to in all of this since I knew A-1 would kind of bungle it for me in the long run anyway like they always seem to. Pretty much the moment I saw the character though I was like, "Hey it's Saori Hayami" so yeah.
PeacingOutNov 28, 2014 1:45 PM
Nov 28, 2014 2:43 PM

Nov 2010
So, all of a sudden, every musician in the hall is a sound-color synaesthete. The writers' ambitions are getting more over-the-top by the episode.
Nov 28, 2014 3:49 PM
Apr 2008
Kelvets said:
So, all of a sudden, every musician in the hall is a sound-color synaesthete. The writers' ambitions are getting more over-the-top by the episode.

Agreed. Though typically the winter wind always seems to do best with audiences because it's really only an etude at second glance. it's the grand finale of the chopin etude cycle.

i couldn't really tell which piece i liked more, the torrent was great as well. the pianist who sampled both obviously knows what he's doing which is to say both were really just great.

i wonder how arima is gonna do because traditionally the wrong note which i think he's going to play is considered one of the easier ones. but it's the first round anyway from my understanding?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.