Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 25, 2014 2:36 AM

Jan 2009
Kineta said:

j0x said:
i like to see Xinil program a script to search for duplicate news story
We have this as well, it's the search function.

thats not exactly automated process

Kineta said:

j0x said:
and there is just too much red tape, i will not be surprise if this is the reason why news moderators quit so early
What gives you this impression?

I don't really understand what you're trying to get at as your suggestions are almost parallel to the current set-up – aside from eliminating the position all together.

i get that impression because the news moderators are quitting early like symbv so the job is too much work

and yes im suggesting to remove the news moderator position and let users submit news freely or with little restrictions and formalities (this is what i mean about decreasing red tape i mean even this has too much regulations http://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=news), much of the news is being shown on dedicated anime news site like AnimeNewsNetwork anyway
Nov 25, 2014 2:37 AM
Nov 2008
welp, can't read japanese, there goes me. weeeee. i really wanted to be a mod for a month and just fob off my duties.
no-thanksNov 25, 2014 2:42 AM
Nov 25, 2014 2:42 AM

Apr 2012
Zelot said:
Good luck to all who apply :) Hope to see some new faces on the front page~
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Nov 25, 2014 3:09 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
dity said:
welp, can't read japanese, there goes me. weeeee. i really wanted to be a mod for a month and just fob off my duties.

In all seriousness though, just to note: You don't have to be able to read Japanese to apply. Just in case anyone else had the same impression.

j0x said:
i get that impression because the news moderators are quitting early like symbv so the job is too much work
symbv was a news moderator for approximately a year or so, if I remember correctly. A year is actually not an abnormally short length of time. Look at how quickly our forum moderator team downsized in six months, for example – and I don't think you're going to suggest we shouldn't have forum mods, right?

All moderator positions are volunteer positions in an online community. Most people leave because they have other, more important commitments in real life that take time out of their schedules and they can't find the time to help out any longer.

To note, our News Team also has some of our oldest staff members: Snow and Naru are coming up on their 4 year anniversaries very soon.

j0x said:
and yes im suggesting to remove the news moderator position and let users submit news freely or with little restrictions and formalities (this is what i mean about decreasing red tape i mean even this has too much regulations http://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=news), much of the news is being shown on dedicated anime news site like AnimeNewsNetwork anyway
By this logic, we should eliminate the Anime/Manga DBs and Moderators because AniDB and MU are sites already dedicated to collecting this information. We can remove the forum, too, since AnimeSuki already exists. Just because ANN is a site dedicated to news doesn't mean that MAL can't have its own news as well. It's not like our news is a copy/paste of theirs either.

I understand that you're trying to help, j0x, and I appreciate suggestions for improvement. However, I think Subpyro's post already explained why this is a bad idea.
Nov 25, 2014 3:25 AM

Jan 2011
gl dudes
Nov 25, 2014 3:36 AM

Jan 2009
@Kineta

heh i rest my case then

and good luck to the applicants
Nov 25, 2014 4:01 AM

Jul 2010
If I just had more time, meh.Well, goodluck to people who apply, and hopefully there are some of them who won't drop position after month because they became bored with it or w/e.
Nov 25, 2014 5:17 AM

Mar 2013
Kineta said:
j0x said:
then just assign forum moderators to approve a thread before it will be shown in public
The forum moderators already have more than enough to do.

I'm not the maintainer of the staff or anything so I probably shouldn't try to sound smart here, but I believe there's more to why the news board is not meant to be taken care of by forum moderators other than their workload already being big enough. As said in my previous post, the news board is a section on Mal that tends to keep the quality of the news relatively high. For that, user qualities and specialities are necessary that are different to those of a forum moderator.

While knowing the Japanese language is not a necessity for every news moderator (some are required), taking time to check the validity of the user news submitions is a must. Furthermore, there are different guidelines set to be followed, which distinct the two teams more than it might seem. While forum mods can be seen as those that enforce the guidelines in connection to user relations and activity, news mods could better be compared to the database mods. They take care of statistics and facts, as well as list them later on. Next to that, they are up to date with every necessary external news, while forum mods can be limited to the Mal's current forums only. In that aspect, news mods could be seen as a fusion of technical and community mods, while database mods are mainly technical (PMs and database sub-forum excluded) and forum mods are community-focused.

Including all that and more, if we want to keep that quality and validity bar high when it comes to the news and its respective board, separate moderating team is needed.
Nov 25, 2014 6:14 AM
Mar 2014
This team seems a little understaffed, so I'm relieved to hear about this. I'd definitely apply if I could. Good luck to everyone involved!
Nov 25, 2014 6:22 AM

Nov 2012
Hmmmm....sounds lovely, but school has me backed up, unfortunately. Would like to apply, though Q-Q

Ugh, real lives.
"Hey, assbutt!"—Castiel, Supernatural

"Do you ever have a problem where you just don't know how to reply to an argument-- not because you don't know the answer, but you just don't where to begin? Like, the foundation of knowledge you'd need to impart to this person before you could even begin to drag them out of their sinkhole of ignorance would cost thousands of dollars, if it were coming from a University?" -MAL in a nutshell.
Nov 25, 2014 7:48 AM
Jan 2013
Minna, wish you all the best.
Nov 25, 2014 8:50 AM

Nov 2007
Good luck. Let's see who can work well with me and the rest of still existing news team.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 25, 2014 9:04 AM

Feb 2010
Good luck to those who apply.
Nov 25, 2014 9:59 AM

Jan 2012
goodluck to people who have extra free time.

Nov 25, 2014 12:09 PM
Aug 2013
Just applied. If anyone else is intrested try it out and just give yourself a new expreience.
Nov 25, 2014 12:37 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Good luck to everyone who applies.

For those who question why news mods are needed, see what Subpyro said. A very good explanation.
Nov 25, 2014 8:21 PM

Nov 2011
I didn't realize users could submit news until I read this thread. It's nice to learn something new.

Good luck to the applicants.

Edit: For Kineta~

TripleSRankNov 25, 2014 8:31 PM
Nov 25, 2014 8:40 PM

Apr 2014
I would undoubtedly apply, but I'm just not sure if I could shave some extra time for it --- what with college and all. Good luck to those applying though.
Nov 26, 2014 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
Aww over 17 T_T
Anyway, good luck applicants !
Nov 26, 2014 5:43 PM

Apr 2014
GL to all :)
Nov 26, 2014 8:45 PM

Mar 2013
sevenPocky said:
Aww over 17 T_T

Although 17 years of age does seem like a reasonable mark, don't let it bother you too much. Honestly, if you fit the other criteria listed, one should still apply. It is simply there to prevent possible applications that hold no effort in their creation from being sent in, which is usually done by the age group below 17. Moreover, to fit the other criteria listed, a user indeed is usually at least 17.

However, if you feel like your English and/or Japanese is/are top-notch, you are active, dedicated, frequent various external news websites (preferably multiple of them), as well as find a spark in formatting and delivering the news content in the forum board, you should feel no restriction from applying. If you believe you've got what it takes to be a good news moderator, go and write that.

A word of advice, there are more or less no limits of what points you can touch in your application. One does not have to strictly keep to the ones listed in the OP alone, but share whatever they find necessary alongside them. So, if one (or two) of the criteria points listed is off, make sure to explain why everything else covers the part, still making you the optimal choice. The only thing is that being on-topic is preferred... unless there are cats. There can never be too much cats.
SubbedNov 26, 2014 8:49 PM
Nov 26, 2014 9:19 PM

Feb 2014
I got a lot of free time, maybe I'll try. Wish me luck.

Nov 26, 2014 11:13 PM

May 2012
This one is a tough position in my opinion- waiting for the latest news and publishing it at a relevant time, and obviously validating them? It's tough work- good luck for the candidates!
Nov 26, 2014 11:40 PM

Jun 2014
I'm shooting. I have a passion for this anyways and its my career choice.
Nov 27, 2014 1:51 AM
Mar 2014
I've done the same job for a huge gaming community about a year ago, it's a really stressful and time consuming thing to do, which sadly often doesn't get as much attention as it deserves, so kudos to anyone willing to sacrifice their spare time for bringing us high quality news articles. Good luck to all you applicants. :)
Nov 27, 2014 10:49 AM

Apr 2009
Goodluck minna!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2014 11:30 AM

Mar 2011
Good luck to everyone!
Nov 27, 2014 2:58 PM

Jun 2008
Good luck everyone!
Nov 27, 2014 3:37 PM

Nov 2007
Kineta said:
Anyone who cannot follow these simple instructions will owe Kineta a kitty gif.

As this position is absolutely not for me I'm only here to offer a kitty gif to Kineta-sama <3
Nov 27, 2014 11:47 PM

Aug 2014
And may the odds be ever in your favor 👍
Nov 29, 2014 8:53 PM
Oct 2014
I-I'll join! I'm in it to win it! Please accept me! ^^
Nov 29, 2014 9:01 PM

Dec 2012
Good luck to those who apply! Break a leg.
RothNov 29, 2014 9:06 PM
Nov 30, 2014 5:10 AM
Nov 2014
Wow, I've never known a forum to request specified moderators. That's interesting. Good luck to everyone who applies.
見 ぬ が 花
Reality can't compete with imagination.
秋茄子は嫁に食わすな。
Don't let yourself be taken advantage of.

This isn't divine judgement, it's the work of a childish killer playing at divine retribution. That's all.

Nov 30, 2014 6:34 AM

Mar 2011
Luna_ said:
@j0x: This system actually already exists. Every user can submit a news story here. The news moderators are reviewing these news submissions and then approving or denying them. You can find this "submit news" link
- in the news board instead of the "create new topic" link
- in the news overview (Industry --> News) at the top of the page
- in the news discussion rules

Hopefully some people that didn't know about this get now motivated to help the news team by submitting more news :)

Also, good luck to everyone who is applying to the news moderator position!

Thanks for the reminder and the spirited debate!
*will have had been motivated*
Nov 30, 2014 10:53 AM

May 2013
Kineta said:
Anyone who cannot follow these simple instructions will owe Kineta a kitty gif.

Kitty gif?? Where?
Nov 30, 2014 4:04 PM
Jun 2013
I understand all the rules and I was in past a moderator and I'm owner of one small forum :)
Dec 2, 2014 9:16 AM

Sep 2014
Wow I'm just the right age 17 I love posting news and I have everyday free but I can't read Japanese and just suck at doing all the stuff that is needed here well either way goodluck to the people who are applying.
Dec 2, 2014 3:33 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Carefree859 said:
Wow I'm just the right age 17 I love posting news and I have everyday free but I can't read Japanese and just suck at doing all the stuff that is needed here well either way goodluck to the people who are applying.
Kineta said:
just to note: You don't have to be able to read Japanese to apply. Just in case anyone else had the same impression.

Don't let something like some japanese stop you

plus google sometimes let's you translate pages anyway
Dec 2, 2014 6:19 PM

Nov 2013
JOAOAA said:
Carefree859 said:
Kineta said:
just to note: You don't have to be able to read Japanese to apply. Just in case anyone else had the same impression.

Don't let something like some japanese stop you

plus google sometimes let's you translate pages anyway

Well, if he already does not have the intention to go for it, and think he sucks at it, I don't really see why he would try to go for it.

Indeed, good luck to everyone who wish to apply. My knowledge of anime related news and websites is somewhat limited, though I assume I could take the time to look into that. I assume I could be good at proofreading and validating posts, but this is the extent of my current skills.
Dec 2, 2014 7:29 PM

Jul 2014
Sent in my application.

Stopped by to thank anyone who may read it and also to offer kudos to the current news team for grinding away despite being short-staffed. I know how that goes. Here's hoping I'm chosen to help lend a hand!

Good luck to all the fellow candidates. :)

[b]“To be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.” - Hamlet [/b]
Dec 5, 2014 9:47 PM
Jun 2014
if gonna like to saying good grammar..?
Roseanne Maceda
Dec 9, 2014 1:12 AM

Nov 2014
Sent my Application!
Just realized; IM LATE!!!!! DAMN

I ♥Sig by me I ♥ Vist my page :) I
Dec 9, 2014 11:42 AM
Aug 2013
When's the announcement for the new staff excited :)
Dec 9, 2014 6:30 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I've been busy in Santa's Workshop, so this message is a little late, but...

Applications are Closed.

Everyone who sent me an application should have received a PM in response. If you did not receive a reply from me, please PM immediately.

Applicants who successfully pass the first round will undergo a second testing round, so non-applicants can expect the announcement in a few weeks time (considering holidays as well).

Also, a big thank you for all the kitty gifs :) It really brightened my day to see them posted here and they will wind up on my profile soon~
Dec 10, 2014 12:03 PM
Aug 2013
Does the PM say "Thanks for your application"?
Or was there a new PM?
Dec 10, 2014 12:58 PM

Mar 2013
pokeguy123 said:
Or was there a new PM?

The PM was supposed to stand as a confirmation of receiving the application, nothing more. Therefore, yeah, a message containing "Thanks for your application" sounds like the intended thing.
Dec 10, 2014 11:24 PM
Aug 2013
Subpyro said:
pokeguy123 said:
Or was there a new PM?

The PM was supposed to stand as a confirmation of receiving the application, nothing more. Therefore, yeah, a message containing "Thanks for your application" sounds like the intended thing.

Ok Thanks
Dec 11, 2014 9:23 AM

Jul 2014
Kineta said:
I've been busy in Santa's Workshop, so this message is a little late, but...

Applications are Closed.

Everyone who sent me an application should have received a PM in response. If you did not receive a reply from me, please PM immediately.

Applicants who successfully pass the first round will undergo a second testing round, so non-applicants can expect the announcement in a few weeks time (considering holidays as well).

Also, a big thank you for all the kitty gifs :) It really brightened my day to see them posted here and they will wind up on my profile soon~

Just curious, but what's the time window then for people knowing whether or not they've made it to the second round?

[b]“To be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.” - Hamlet [/b]
Dec 18, 2014 9:40 PM

Mar 2011
Ollin_Soriyu said:
Sent my Application!
Just realized; IM LATE!!!!! DAMN

D=
Dec 18, 2014 9:47 PM

Mar 2012
I sent in my application to become a kitty gif.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

422 by Hayukoo »»
5 hours ago

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 8:10 PM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

204 by Dekom »»
Yesterday, 10:52 AM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.