Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 22, 2014 10:02 PM

Jul 2014
ahhh, Christmas is almost upon us
For a while now, i had aspired to start drawing on the computer but i have no clue how to get started. Can anyone give me any advice as to what tools I should purchase and what programs i should get. I don't really have a set budget atm, but i'd prefer not to spend too much (of my parent's) money.
Nov 22, 2014 10:58 PM
Mar 2013
Why don't I start you off with some free options? Right now, Adobe is giving away Photoshop CS2 for free! It basically has everything you need to start off, with some quirks here and there (being the older model that it is, you can't use the newer downloadable brushes and it's interface just screams 2002, haha!) All you need to do is create a adobe account and you're set to go.

Another option for free software would be a pirated copy of Paint Tool Sai. It's great and I've been using it for a long time. If you insist on buying it, it isn't that expensive either. Here's the site to buy it off. I think it runs for about $55 CAD?

As for tablets, the one I use is a Bamboo Fun - Pen and Touch which has been pretty good so far. I purchased it for around $199 CAD before tax. It comes with Photoshop Elements 8.0 I think it was, and it's just like photoshop but without various features (since the original Photoshop CS6 costs $700 ! it's crazy) By itself, PSE goes for about $50. I think you should definitely go onto the Wacom website and browse the different tablets they have. Then go on youtube for reviews and tutorials to see which one suites your needs the most.

I hope this helped, good luck!
Nov 22, 2014 11:02 PM

Sep 2014
For drawing I would suggest Adobe Illustrator. It is a bit pricey but is great for what you want to do.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Nov 24, 2014 2:24 AM

Oct 2012
Seconding Paint Tool Sai, very simple to use and really nice overall. I'd also recommend just a Bamboo pen tablet if you're looking for something that's cheap and lasts long. I got mine for I think around $60-70 and I've had it for five years with no problems.

Nov 24, 2014 2:26 AM

May 2014
Most people use Graphic/Pen Tablets. Majority of them use the programs Photoshop and Pain Tool Sai but ithey're pretty difficult to use with just a PC mouse or a laptop's mousepad (unless you really have skillful hands). Graphic/Pen Tablets are kind of needed for this type of art.

More topics from this board

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - 6 hours ago

2 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» I used a basic AI video enchancer to upscale really old anime

tsukareru - Nov 25, 2023

27 by tsukareru »»
3 hours ago

» Created my first amv yesterday. Check it out, enjoy, and provide feedback if you'd like!

painiwakura - Mar 24

2 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 6:02 PM

» Impact of Anime on India's Youth & Its effects on Family Dynamics- A Survey

Anituber69 - Apr 10

2 by Anituber69 »»
Apr 14, 11:57 PM

» Anime hoodies - New brand

abambata - Apr 13

2 by abambata »»
Apr 14, 3:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.