Forum Settings
Forums

'Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!' 2015 Rankings Revealed

New
Nov 21, 2014 7:29 PM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
Here are the Top 10 Light Novel rankings collected by the "Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!" (This Light Novel is Amazing!) annual magazine.

Light Novels
*1. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru (Oregairu)
*2. Sword Art Online (SAO)
*3. No Game No Life (NGNL)
*4. Toaru Majutsu no Index (Index)
*5. Koukyuu Rakuen Kyoujou - Harem League Baseball
*6. Zetsushinkai no Solaris
*7. Escape Speed
*8. Toaru Hikuushi no Seiyaku
*9. Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai
10. Tenkyou no Alderamin

Female Characters
*1. Yukino Yukinoshita (Oregairu)
*2. Misaka Mikoto (Index)
*3. Yui Yuigahama (Oregairu)
*4. Asuna Yuuki (SAO)
*5. Othinus (Index)
*6. Index (Index)
*7. Shino Asada (SAO)
*8. Komachi Hikigaya (Oregairu)
*9. Misaki Shokuhou (Index)
10. Shiro (NGNL)

Male Characters
*1. Hachiman Hikigaya (Oregairu)
*2. Touma Kamijou (Index)
*3. Kazuto Kirigaya (Kirito) (SAO)
*4. Accelerator (Index)
*5. Tatsuya Shiba (Mahouka Koukou)
*6. Sora (NGNL)
*7. Rentarou Satomi (Black Bullet)
*8. Bell Cranel (DanMachi)
*9. Saika Totsuka (Oregairu)
10. Sorouku Ikuta (Tenkyou no Alderamin)

Combined Characters
*1. Hachiman Hikigaya (Oregairu)
*2. Touma Kamijou (Index)
*3. Yukino Yukinoshita (Oregairu)
*4. Misaka Mikoto (Index)
*5. Kazuto Kirigaya (SAO)
*6. Yui Yuigahama (Oregairu)
*7. Asuna Yuuki (SAO)
*8. Accelerator (Index)
*9. Tatsuya Shiba (Mahouka Koukou)
10. Othinus (Index)

Light Novel Artists
*1. Ponkan 8 (Oregairu)
*2. Haimura Kiyotaka (Index)
*3. abec (SAO)
*4. Buriki (Haganai, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko)
*5. Ukai Saki (Black Bullet)
*6. Kantoku (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)
*7. Miho Takeoka (Bungaku Shoujo, Hikaru)
*8. Yuu Kamiya (NGNL)
*9. Yasuda Suzuhito (Durarara!!)
10. Tsunako (Date A Live)

New Works
*1. Koukyuu Rakuen Kyuujou: Harem League Baseball
*2. Zetsushinkai no Solaris
*3. Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai.
*4. Kiniro Quartet!
*5. Danshi Koukousei de Urekko Light Novel Sakka wo Shiteiru keredo, Toshishita no Classmate de Seiyuu no Onnanoko ni Kubi wo Shimerareteiru.
*6. Higashi Ikebukuro Stray Cats
*7. Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
*8. Majo wa Tsuki Izuru Tokoro ni Nemuru
*9. Steam Heaven Freaks
10. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

Source: Otakomu
cyruzOct 13, 2019 12:25 AM

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 21, 2014 7:31 PM

Sep 2011
Due to my actions of accidentally deleting the thread, the thread has been re-posted. I didn't take a look when a spambot spammed in here and deleted the thread fully without looking at the title which I should've done. I apologize for any confusion that may have caused anyone.
TyrelNov 21, 2014 7:35 PM
Nov 21, 2014 7:33 PM

Mar 2013
Oregairu all the way
Nov 21, 2014 7:36 PM

Dec 2013
NGNL :3
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Nov 21, 2014 7:39 PM
Mar 2012
No Mushoku Tensei?! *flips all tables in immediate surrounding and runs out of building*

Just kidding, wasn't expecting it to rank anyways. Because it would knock out the top 5 in every list. Just kidding

Eris, Roxy, and Sylphy are still best waifus.
Nov 21, 2014 7:46 PM

Nov 2011
Like I said before, grats to Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Well deserved. Now I really can't wait for season 2.
Nov 21, 2014 8:04 PM

Aug 2008
Snow said:
Here are the Top 10 Light Novel rankings collected by the "Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!" (This Light Novel is Amazing!) annual magazine.

Light Novels
*1. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru (Oregairu)
*2. Sword Art Online (SAO)
*3. No Game No Life (NGNL)
*4. Toaru Majutsu no Index (Index)

Not a LN readers but love Oregairu and NGNL anime. Have also seen Majutsu and SAO. Accelerator and Misaka are great characters.

I'm surprise to see that Mahouka is not in top ten consider that it sell well but as everyone knows,selling well=/=quality.
Again,didn't read the LN but the anime is crap and awful. Consider the LN didn't make it to top ten,I guess the LN is not that good either.

Congratulation to Oregairu. Among all the anime that is from LN adaptions,Oregairu is definitely one of the best I ever seen which is no surprise as it's original source itself is also great.
ZapredonNov 21, 2014 8:09 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 21, 2014 8:25 PM
Mar 2012
Zapredon said:
I'm surprise to see that Mahouka is not in top ten consider that it sell well but as everyone knows,selling well=/=quality.
Again,didn't read the LN but the anime is crap and awful. Consider the LN didn't make it to top ten,I guess the LN is not that good either.

Mahouka ranked 13th this year, and calling it not that good out of the hundreds of light novels out there, I think that's too much of an exaggeration.
Nov 21, 2014 8:32 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
NGNL ranked up a good deal from last year. 10 to 3 is a nice rise.

I see some new titles in the ranking. 5 out of 10 has no translations yet. Hope Baka-Tsuki picks them up.

Ah, no Miyuki in the female characters list this time. But her Onii-sama leveled up from 8 to 5 now.
I was actually expecting Tatsuya to be in top 3. Eh, he will probably make it there next year.

Nov 21, 2014 8:36 PM

Jul 2010
Super happy for OregaIru.
Nov 21, 2014 8:41 PM

May 2010
Can someone explain what the "Combined Characters" means?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 21, 2014 8:52 PM
Mar 2012
Confucius said:
Can someone explain what the "Combined Characters" means?

The combined males and females rather than their separate gender categories.
Nov 21, 2014 9:13 PM

Aug 2008
LastChapter said:
Zapredon said:

Mahouka ranked 13th this year, and calling it not that good out of the hundreds of light novels out there, I think that's too much of an exaggeration.

I mean not as good as people said or all the hype is about due to novel sales. There are other LN out there I haven't heard of and didn't sell as well as Mahouka but still rank higher than Mahouka.

Since Mahouka sold well,it means it has huge amount of readers compare to other LN l but despite having huge readership, it still didn't get enough vote to make it to top ten. This speaks a lot about it's quality. So in a sense,Mahouka is not that good in term of quality. I can not help but think Mahouka ranking is because of quantity not quality.
ZapredonNov 21, 2014 9:32 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 21, 2014 9:21 PM
May 2012
They should animate those who aren't animated, yet.
Nov 21, 2014 9:26 PM

May 2013
If I am a LN writer, then I'll choose Tsunako as an artist. She's too good and again, I'm glad that she's on the list!
The world shall know the truth soon.
Nov 21, 2014 9:43 PM
Mar 2012
Zapredon said:
I mean not as good as people said or all the hype is about due to novel sales. There are other LN out there I haven't heard of and didn't sell as well as Mahouka but still rank higher than Mahouka.

Since Mahouka sold well,it means it has huge amount of readers compare to other LN l but despite having huge readership, it still didn't get enough vote to make it to top ten. This speaks a lot about it's quality. So in a sense,Mahouka is not that good in term of quality. I can not help but think Mahouka ranking is because of quantity not quality.

The novel rankings aren't just based on popularity votes. I won't get in too much detail, but voters are selected in different categorizes, HP ranks (normal voters), monitors (elites), etc. Mahouka ranked 5th for HP rank, 7th for monitors, collab though put it at 13th. They also try and get lesser known series on the list so that they would get more recognition.
Nov 21, 2014 9:47 PM

Aug 2008
LastChapter said:
Zapredon said:

The novel rankings aren't just based on popularity votes. I won't get in too much detail, but voters are selected in different categorizes, HP ranks (normal voters), monitors (elites), etc. Mahouka ranked 5th for HP rank, 7th for monitors, collab though put it at 13th. They also try and get lesser known series on the list so that they would get more recognition.

Still doesn't change anything on what I said. Just a method of different voting but in the end,still about voters and polls.

I check other years ranking and Mahouka also didn't make it to top ten list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kono_Light_Novel_ga_Sugoi!#2010.E2.80.932014_2

They also try and get lesser known series on the list so that they would get more recognition.

Are you trying to tell me that there are conspiracy where less known LN is put in top ten list even though it didn't get enough vote for the purpose of publicity? Doesn't that mean this ranking are all fraud in the first place?
ZapredonNov 21, 2014 9:56 PM

Nov 21, 2014 10:00 PM
Mar 2012
Zapredon said:
LastChapter said:

Still doesn't change anything on what I said. Just a method of different voting but in the end,still about voters and polls.

I still don't see why Mahouka needs to be in the top 10 to live up to its sales and hype. You have rank #5 Koukyuu Rakuen Kyoujou - Harem League Baseball which I'm sure not many people know of and have much less sales than Mahouka. You're definitely underestimating the ranks and purpose in the poll, any series landing in the top 60 is really good and pretty much guarantees a continuation of that series unless it ended already. This is not a ranking of purely sales or popularity, else SAO would be first place by a landslide, but a slightly rigged system to bring more awareness in the light novel community.
Nov 21, 2014 10:03 PM

Aug 2008
LastChapter said:
Zapredon said:

I still don't see why Mahouka needs to be in the top 10 to live up to its sales and hype. You have rank #5 Koukyuu Rakuen Kyoujou - Harem League Baseball which I'm sure not many people know of and have much less sales than Mahouka. You're definitely underestimating the ranks and purpose in the poll, any series landing in the top 60 is really good and pretty much guarantees a continuation of that series unless it ended already. This is not a ranking of purely sales or popularity, else SAO would be first place by a landslide, but a slightly rigged system to bring more awareness in the light novel community.

I am aware this is not ranking base on sales or popularity.What I mean is that despite having huge readership,only small percentage of people reading Mahouka vote for Mahouka while other LN despite having small readership,huge percentage of the reader still vote for that LN perhaps due to it's quality. Just because something sell bad doesn't mean it's bad in quality . You would expect lots of people would vote for Mahouka to make it to top 10 since it has huge readership but this doesn't happen. If this ranking contain rigged system,it means this ranking are FRAUD in the first place.
ZapredonNov 21, 2014 10:15 PM

Nov 21, 2014 10:17 PM
Mar 2012
Zapredon said:
I am aware this is not ranking base on sales or popularity.What I mean is that despite having huge readership,only small percentage of people reading Mahouka vote for Mahouka while other LN despite having small readership,huge percentage of the reader still vote for that LN perhaps due to it's quality. Just because something sell bad doesn't mean it's bad . I would like proof/citation from you that this ranking contain rigged system because if it does,it means this ranking are FRAUD in the first place.

I'm not saying it's rigged in a cheating way, but it's formatted in a way where less known series get more leeway. Best example of a system that is not purely based on one concept is MAL's rating system. And it's not a small percentage of people that voted for Mahouka, a majority of the voters did. If it were based on popularity votes, Mahouka is #5 for normal voters. For how this certain poll is formatted, it's ranked 13 out of hundreds among hundreds of series. You can even look at the score distribution of the top 30 yourself:

And I just noticed your sig too, I'm not going to put any more effort in arguing further.
Nov 21, 2014 10:18 PM

Oct 2013
This is the year of Oregairu. :3
Nov 21, 2014 10:23 PM

Apr 2013
So it's a deleting mistake? You shoudl be able to find a copy of the thread even after deleting it either in the server cache or in the server 's periodic save imo...
Well, whatever, the thread is still in my browser cache... So I guess I'll copy back the full conversation I had there then, if you don't mind it.

Should be it. So, if anyone else feels like he want to come in this thread to enjoy looking down on stuff, feel free to read what may happens before doing so. May want to be sure of what you're intending to look down at isn't actually good, right.

Zapredon said:

I am aware this is not ranking base on sales or popularity.What I mean is that despite having huge readership,only small percentage of people reading Mahouka vote for Mahouka while other LN despite having small readership,huge percentage of the reader still vote for that LN perhaps due to it's quality. Just because something sell bad doesn't mean it's bad in quality . You would expect lots of people would vote for Mahouka to make it to top 10 since it has huge readership but this doesn't happen. If this ranking contain rigged system,it means this ranking are FRAUD in the first place.

Why are you calling a poll working properly with rules explained from the start a fraud? it's not rigged, it's working as intended. It's because of those rules that this poll actually holds values compared to most of other polls of this sort.
ZefyrisNov 22, 2014 5:28 AM
Nov 21, 2014 10:32 PM

Aug 2008
LastChapter said:

I'm not saying it's rigged in a cheating way, but it's formatted in a way where less known series get more leeway. Best example of a system that is not purely based on one concept is MAL's rating system. And it's not a small percentage of people that voted for Mahouka, a majority of the voters did. If it were based on popularity votes, Mahouka is #5 for normal voters. For how this certain poll is formatted, it's ranked 13 out of hundreds among hundreds of series. You can even look at the score distribution of the top 30 yourself:

And I just noticed your sig too, I'm not going to put any more effort in arguing further.

So even if majority does vote for Mahouka, it still doesn't make it to top ten? It shows that there are other factors that make it doesn't rank top ten whatever it is. If it ranked 7th among monitor,then shouldn't it still be in top ten? What are the other factor that cause it didn't make it to top ten?From quality point of view perhaps?

According to wikipedia,the ranking is base on poll.

The guide book publishes a list of the top ten most popular light novels and their characters according to readers polled on the Internet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kono_Light_Novel_ga_Sugoi!

Zefyris said:

Why are you calling a poll working properly with rules explained from the start a fraud? it's not rigged, it's working as intended. It's because of those rules that this poll actually holds values compared to most of other polls of this sort.

Can tell me the detail of the rules? I think wiki doesn't explain it.

Or is the ranking is similar to MAL?
ZapredonNov 21, 2014 10:48 PM

Nov 21, 2014 10:47 PM
Mar 2012
Zapredon said:
So even if majority does vote for Mahouka, it still doesn't make it to top ten? It shows that there are other factors that make it doesn't rank top ten whatever it is. From quality point of view perhaps?

According to wikipedia,the ranking is base on poll. It doesn't says anything that it formatted in a way where less known series get more leeway.

The guide book publishes a list of the top ten most popular light novels and their characters according to readers polled on the Internet

And you're saying that you're trusting an open source website such as Wikipedia, which tends to have a higher rate of inaccuracy on foreign subjects as this poll. Let's take the English Wikipedia page for the LN series DanMachi then. I'm not even going to nitpick the inconsistencies and instead focus on the character names. Someone obviously copy/pasted the Japanese names to Google Translate and formed a name in English that may make sense without even consulting the official romanizations. Anyone also with a basic knowledge of Japanese would also know ベル (beru) doesn't translate to Vel, it's Bell. The other spellings are tricky, so I give them credit for not being too inaccurate, but if they cared enough, the editor/s could easily dig further for the official spellings of the name.

Now back on topic. Whatever Zefyris wrote above pretty much explained what you need to know with a general overview.
Nov 21, 2014 10:56 PM

Aug 2008
LastChapter said:
Zapredon said:
So even if majority does vote for Mahouka, it still doesn't make it to top ten? It shows that there are other factors that make it doesn't rank top ten whatever it is. From quality point of view perhaps?

According to wikipedia,the ranking is base on poll. It doesn't says anything that it formatted in a way where less known series get more leeway.

And you're saying that you're trusting an open source website such as Wikipedia, which tends to have a higher rate of inaccuracy on foreign subjects as this poll. Let's take the English Wikipedia page for the LN series DanMachi then. I'm not even going to nitpick the inconsistencies and instead focus on the character names. Someone obviously copy/pasted the Japanese names to Google Translate and formed a name in English that may make sense without even consulting the official romanizations. Anyone also with a basic knowledge of Japanese would also know ベル (beru) doesn't translate to Vel, it's Bell. The other spellings are tricky, so I give them credit for not being too inaccurate, but if they cared enough, the editor/s could easily dig further for the official spellings of the name.

Now back on topic. Whatever Zefyris wrote above pretty much explained what you need to know with a general overview.

Consider that there are no English source of the rules,so of course I will have to rely on wikipedia. Beside,MAL is English forum and you can't expect everyone to know Japanese.

I'm still looking for someone to explain the rules in English here. I still don't understand why Mahouka which is ranked 5th in HP and 7th in Monitor didn't make it to top ten. Any other factors you didn't tell me?And what is this leeway for lesser known LN you talking about? Zefyris didn't explain the rules at all.
ZapredonNov 21, 2014 10:59 PM

Nov 21, 2014 11:00 PM
Mar 2012
Zapredon said:
I'm still looking for someone to explain the rules in English here. I still don't understand why Mahouka which is ranked 5th in HP and 7th in Monitor didn't make it to top ten. Any other factors you didn't tell me?And what is this leeway for lesser known LN you talking about?

Zefyris said:
Not convinced? Then let me inform you about how the LN poll of the kono light nove wa sugoi works. While the other poll in this magazine are only popularity based, the LN poll has 3 categories of voters adding their vote. One is your normal readers, one is the monitors which are readers reading a lot of LN selected specially for this, and the last one is... People from the LN industry.
For years, people from the industry have been pushing less known titles in those rankings, trying to promote quality titles ignored by the masses, with somewhat significant successes.
And when the ranking are announced, while you have the sum of everything, you also get in the magazine how much each title received by each group of voters.
As such, some peoples like me see konorano rankings as an opportunity to find less known but quality titles published during this year by looking at which title were the most supported by collaborators.
Nov 21, 2014 11:06 PM

Aug 2008
LastChapter said:
Zapredon said:
I'm still looking for someone to explain the rules in English here. I still don't understand why Mahouka which is ranked 5th in HP and 7th in Monitor didn't make it to top ten. Any other factors you didn't tell me?And what is this leeway for lesser known LN you talking about?

Zefyris said:
Not convinced? Then let me inform you about how the LN poll of the kono light nove wa sugoi works. While the other poll in this magazine are only popularity based, the LN poll has 3 categories of voters adding their vote. One is your normal readers, one is the monitors which are readers reading a lot of LN selected specially for this, and the last one is... People from the LN industry.
For years, people from the industry have been pushing less known titles in those rankings, trying to promote quality titles ignored by the masses, with somewhat significant successes.
And when the ranking are announced, while you have the sum of everything, you also get in the magazine how much each title received by each group of voters.
As such, some peoples like me see konorano rankings as an opportunity to find less known but quality titles published during this year by looking at which title were the most supported by collaborators.

Thanks. It's in the spoiler tag.

From what I see,looks like this ranking is not really what I would consider as legitimate top ten best LN or whatever it is since there are also agenda to put less known LN into the list to promote it. So what makes Mahouka didn't make it to top ten is because other less known LN take it's spots? Mahouka popularity cause it's ranking to drop? Stupid reason to be honest.Still,how does Oregairu,SAO,NGNL,and Index make it there? I thought they are well known enough. Overall,the list in OP not really a legitimate top ten LN for sure.
ZapredonNov 21, 2014 11:14 PM

Nov 21, 2014 11:14 PM
Mar 2012
Zapredon said:

From what I see,looks like this ranking is not really what I would consider as legitimate top ten best LN or whatever it is since there are also agenda to put less known LN into the list to promote it. So what makes Mahouka didn't make it to top ten is because other less LN take it's spots? Mahouka popularity cause it's ranking to drop? Stupid reason to be honest.Still,how does Oregairu,SAO,NGNL,and Index make it there? I thought they are well known enough. Overall,the list in OP not really a legitimate top ten LN for sure.

Remember that this poll is not a popularity poll. It's legitimate because the voters know of its ranking methods beforehand. If you want ranks based on sales or popularity, there are definitely lots of those. What makes Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi unique is that it is able to bring in popular and lesser known series together in one ranking system. It's not to show which series are the best, but bring awareness to series that deserve it. As for the top 4, they're just too popular to drop to any lower ranks lol.
Nov 21, 2014 11:21 PM

Jul 2013
Zapredon said:

From what I see,looks like this ranking is not really what I would consider as legitimate top ten best LN or whatever it is since there are also agenda to put less known LN into the list to promote it. So what makes Mahouka didn't make it to top ten is because other less LN take it's spots? Mahouka popularity cause it's ranking to drop? Stupid reason to be honest.Still,how does Oregairu,SAO,NGNL,and Index make it there? I thought they are well known enough. Overall,the list in OP not really a legitimate top ten LN for sure.

I'm not sure what you mean by legitimate top 10. Do you mean in terms of popularity only? Because otherwise top 10 list are always gonna be subjective.

It isn't too hard too to see the top 10 lists for each category of voters as the votes for each series are listed by voter type as well as the overall sum:

LastChapter said:

Here are the top 10 by each voter category:

Top 10 in term of HP rank (Normal Voters): AKA Popularity?

1. Oregairu (136.41)
2. Index (98.15)
3. SAO (53.54)
4. NGNL (29.85)
5. Mahouka (25.03)
6. Black Bullet (21.33)
7. Danmachi (20.51)
8. Haganai (15.18)
9. Kiniro Quartet (13.44)
10. Baka Test (12.41)

Collab top 10: AKA Industry Critics?

1. Harem Baseball (131.15)
2. Deep Sea Solaris (111.48)
3. NGNL (106.56)
4. Oregairu (103.28)
5. Escape Speed (95.08)
6. A certain pilot (93.44)
6. This love, that future (93.44)
8. Aldermin (81.97)
9. Kiniro Quartet (80.33)
10. Saenai Kanojo (78.69)

Top 10 for monitor: AKA Somewhat mix of both (sort of)?

1. SAO (98.06)
2. Durarara!! (52.43)
3. Baka Test (49.51)
4. Oregairu (45.63)
5. Kagepro (44.66)
6. Hidan no Aria (43.69)
7. Mahouka (40.78)
7. Kino no Tabi (40.78)
9. NGNL (36.89)
10. Index (33.98)

You can see where Mahouka lost points on. Its readers didn't vote for it. Compare it to series like Index which currently has lower sales per new volume but its readers LOVE the series so much that they voted 4 times as much for it compared it Mahouka.

Were any of these lists what you meant by legitimate?
OHandSNov 21, 2014 11:32 PM
Nov 21, 2014 11:25 PM

Aug 2008
LastChapter said:
Zapredon said:

Remember that this poll is not a popularity poll. It's legitimate because the voters know of its ranking methods beforehand. If you want ranks based on sales or popularity, there are definitely lots of those. What makes Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi unique is that it is able to bring in popular and lesser known series together in one ranking system. It's not to show which series are the best, but bring awareness to series that deserve it. As for the top 4, they're just too popular to drop to any lower ranks lol.

I know it's legitimate,but calling it ranking just doesn't feel right since there's also agenda to push less known novel into the list. But yeah,I understand what you saying here. Maybe top ten most underrated LN to introduce the lesser known LN will be better but I guess if you lump them together with other well known LN,it will generate more attention and thus,more sell and more $$$.

OHandS said:

I'm not sure what you mean by legitimate top 10. Do you mean in terms of popularity only? Because otherwise top 10 list are always gonna be subjective.

In term of how majority feel about certain series where no agenda to promote the lesser known LN. Thanks for the translation. Monitor=elite viewer?

Yes,Oregairu still ranked number one.

OHandS said:

You can see where Mahouka lost points on. Its readers didn't vote for it. Compare it to series like Index which currently has lower sales per new volume but its readers LOVE the series so much that they voted 4 times as much for it compared it Mahouka.

Thanks again. You are really helpful. WOW! Index sure has huge percentage of readers voting for it compare to Mahouka. Good for it. Not a huge fans of Index anime but Misaka and Accelerator are great characters. Any announcement for new season?

Is Hidan no Aria good? I dropped the anime in very early episode. YES! Durara did well in Monitor ranking.
ZapredonNov 21, 2014 11:46 PM

Nov 21, 2014 11:45 PM

Jul 2013
Zapredon said:

In term of how majority feel about certain series where no agenda to promote the lesser known LN. Thanks for the translation. Monitor=elite viewer?

Yes,Oregairu still ranked number one.

Well, the normal voters poll should be the one you're looking for.

I suppose the Monitor is kinda like an elite viewer but one can't help notice the blatant bias that they have for some series. 98 points for SAO with the next highest being Drrr!! with 52? What utter BS; anime exposure can only amount to so much.

But of course Oregairu would place first in the poll. It truly deserved it after what it did with its characters this year.

Thanks again. You are really helpful. WOW! Index sure has huge percentage of readers voting for it compare to Mahouka. Good for it. Not a huge fans of Index anime but Misaka and Accelerator are awesome. Any announcement for new season?

Pigs will fly before we get an announcement for Season 3.

Is Hidan no Aria good? I dropped the anime in very early episode.

Its somehow managed to keep a stable readership about half the size Index's current readership. It must be doing something right. Though I have no idea; zero interest in the series.
OHandSNov 21, 2014 11:48 PM
Nov 22, 2014 12:55 AM

Dec 2011
Zapredon said:
Maybe top ten most underrated LN to introduce the lesser known LN will be better but I guess if you lump them together with other well known LN,it will generate more attention and thus,more sell and more $$$.

Not really, as all categories are voting amongst all light novels. It's just that some of those categories are familiar with more light novels than others. Noone was (supposed to be) voting on a series because it isn't popular enough.

Zapredon said:
WOW! Index sure has huge percentage of readers voting for it compare to Mahouka. Good for it.

While this is true, Kiniro Quartet is the real big one in this respect. I don't think it's ever even got on the rankings? It certainly hasn't ever sold >10k. All the others on that top 10 have something at least over 30k.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 22, 2014 2:28 AM

Sep 2013
why izayoi from mondaiji doesnt in rank lol i think he is more badass than satomi rentaro from black bullet -_-
Nov 22, 2014 2:45 AM

May 2013
Durarara isn't in the rankings anymore *sigh* Hopefully the new anime boosts the rankings next year >w<
Nov 22, 2014 3:04 AM

Dec 2011
Gare said:
why izayoi from mondaiji doesnt in rank lol i think he is more badass than satomi rentaro from black bullet -_-

He's 11th.

Yeri-chan said:
Durarara isn't in the rankings anymore *sigh*

It's 17th.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 22, 2014 4:36 AM

Jan 2013
Huh wait. where are the walls of text at? I was sure someone got rl mad at me for looking down on some random trash novel. Must've been my imagination~
Nov 22, 2014 5:00 AM

Jul 2013
^
Well. Let me remind you how you got your ass handed to you on a platter... :)

Zefyris said:

So, if anyone else feels like he want to come in this thread to enjoy looking down on stuff, feel free to read what may happens before doing so. May want to be sure of what you're intending to look down at isn't actually good, right.

Ring any bells?
Nov 22, 2014 5:07 AM
May 2013
OHandS said:
Zapredon said:

It isn't too hard too to see the top 10 lists for each category of voters as the votes for each series are listed by voter type as well as the overall sum:

LastChapter said:

Here are the top 10 by each voter category:

Top 10 in term of HP rank (Normal Voters): AKA Popularity?

1. Oregairu (136.41)
2. Index (98.15)
3. SAO (53.54)
4. NGNL (29.85)
5. Mahouka (25.03)
6. Black Bullet (21.33)
7. Danmachi (20.51)
8. Haganai (15.18)
9. Kiniro Quartet (13.44)
10. Baka Test (12.41)

Collab top 10: AKA Industry Critics?

1. Harem Baseball (131.15)
2. Deep Sea Solaris (111.48)
3. NGNL (106.56)
4. Oregairu (103.28)
5. Escape Speed (95.08)
6. A certain pilot (93.44)
6. This love, that future (93.44)
8. Aldermin (81.97)
9. Kiniro Quartet (80.33)
10. Saenai Kanojo (78.69)

Top 10 for monitor: AKA Somewhat mix of both (sort of)?

1. SAO (98.06)
2. Durarara!! (52.43)
3. Baka Test (49.51)
4. Oregairu (45.63)
5. Kagepro (44.66)
6. Hidan no Aria (43.69)
7. Mahouka (40.78)
7. Kino no Tabi (40.78)
9. NGNL (36.89)
10. Index (33.98)

Can someone explain to me why a title would have 0 monitor points? There seem to be quite a few with 0. And yikes there is such a wide range in HP points, do they minimize the impact of that somehow? Like making the HP points worth less or something?
Nov 22, 2014 5:08 AM

Apr 2013
TheNaturalPerm said:
Huh wait. where are the walls of text at? I was sure someone got rl mad at me for looking down on some random trash novel. Must've been my imagination~

what are you talking about? Your answer is above, in spoiler tags. Must be hard to support being so ridiculous, you're now trying to escape reality by not seeing what is right under your nose? ;o

But man, this is really sad that people like you are not sanctioned for your pitiful behavior. You're clearly ignoring completely the rules of this forum with most of the post you make, and obviously mostly to troll other and get angered answers (attention whore, much?). And the moderation team completely looks away from what your lot does, only deleting the post when someone talk back to you and that the situation is getting too noisy.
And this is happening right under the nose of the staff, directly in the news thread, again and again, by the same group.All your lot should have been forbidden of posting in news threads since a very long time. The fact that people can still see you doing the same thing incites more person to do the same, since they know that they won't get any sanction for it. I would rather ignore that kind of troll and just let the moderation kick your butt once and for all, but alas...
Whatever, if they don't move then it can't be helped.

From what I see,looks like this ranking is not really what I would consider as legitimate top ten best LN or whatever it is since there are also agenda to put less known LN into the list to promote it. So what makes Mahouka didn't make it to top ten is because other less known LN take it's spots? Mahouka popularity cause it's ranking to drop? Stupid reason to be honest.Still,how does Oregairu,SAO,NGNL,and Index make it there? I thought they are well known enough. Overall,the list in OP not really a legitimate top ten LN for sure.

That's not how you should take it. This is made so that the three category can bring in the top titles that they heavily support, and that a title supported by several groups will win the poll. Mahouka is the 5th most supported by one third of the voting population. As such, why should it go into the global top 10? Look at index for example. It wasn't supported at all by the collaborator, yet didn't have any problem to rank in the top ten.
Also, if you understood my post as "collaborators votes for a title because it's less popular" then I didn't explain it properly. Critics and people from the industry simply will vote more for what they believe is "quality" than the other group. Which is why the kono rano pools results for best LN are more than just a popularity poll, and far more interesting to consult as well.

Hahalollawl said:
Can someone explain to me why a title would have 0 monitor points? There seem to be quite a few with 0.

BEcause there was a huge list of titles eligible, and you nly get the top 60 overall. Obviously, monitor who read more than hp are more susceptible to vote for a title not well known than the hp group. As such, it's only natural than part of their votes is unavailable in the result displayed. On the contrary, popular titles that were massively voted by hp for example still managed to rank in. If they received no vote from monitors, then obviously the votes are 0 in the end. What's important for the ranking is the sum of them. If a title has 0 votes in one of the sub categories, it mean that no voter from that category liked that title, plain, and simple.

Hahalollawl said:

There seem to be quite a few with 0. And yikes there is such a wide range in HP points, do they minimize the impact of that somehow? Like making the HP points worth less or something?

Since a few years already, the votes are weighted, yes. It's only logical when you think about it. If you want each group to be able to compete in their support and not have one group larger in number getting all the top spot, then if you have different sized group you need to weight them accordingly. There is obviously far less collaborators than HP voters for example. As such, one collaborator's vote weight far more. As the result of this, each side can effectively bring their favorites into the top of the global ranking.
ZefyrisNov 22, 2014 5:31 AM
Nov 22, 2014 6:44 AM

Sep 2013
I was wondering where the hell the thread went yesterday XD

"Seirei tsukai no blade dance" deserves to be here but can you do? :(
Nov 22, 2014 7:34 AM

Nov 2008
would very much like to read this LN
Nov 22, 2014 7:38 AM

Apr 2013
Mr_Gutts said:

I was actually surprised to see that one ranking so high. I was heavily disappointed by the first titleToaru Hikuushi no Tsuioku, so much that I have yet to read ~Koiuta which was written next, even though I own all the volumes as well. While the author writes well, that's about the only good thing I could praise ~Tsuioku about.
Maybe I should give it a try after all. I'm a bit afraid of having something as disappointing as Tsuioku again though...
Nov 22, 2014 8:11 AM

Jul 2014
Wow Oregairu all the way :3

Nov 22, 2014 10:33 AM

Aug 2010
Glad that Index made it! Season III when?

Sad about the lack of Accel World, though. Where is the love?
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 22, 2014 10:49 AM

May 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
Yeri-chan said:
Durarara isn't in the rankings anymore *sigh*

It's 17th.

Yeah I meant in the top 10 sorry for not being clear xD
Nov 22, 2014 12:54 PM
May 2013
Mr_Gutts said:

Would very much like to see an anime of that LN. Even though I haven't read it, those character designs look quite nice and it seems like it could be a romance love triangle.

Zefyris said:

I was actually surprised to see that one ranking so high. I was heavily disappointed by the first titleToaru Hikuushi no Tsuioku, so much that I have yet to read ~Koiuta which was written next, even though I own all the volumes as well. While the author writes well, that's about the only good thing I could praise ~Tsuioku about.
Maybe I should give it a try after all. I'm a bit afraid of having something as disappointing as Tsuioku again though...

Really? I'm not sure about the LN, but I liked the movie Tsuioku quite a lot. Different tastes perhaps.
Nov 22, 2014 2:38 PM

Dec 2012
After reading Zefyris's explanation about Koukyuu Rakuen Kyoujou - Harem League Baseball, I'm curious......... is the Gender-Bender tag correct too? If it is, then does that mean the MC is a guy cross-dressing as a girl and joins the emperor's harem by pretending to be a girl and plays baseball with them?

This guy must be pretty strong/bad-ass huh? Anime adaptation please!

Really happy for all the LNs that ranked, especially the ones I like :P . They should all celebrate with new seasons and new anime adaptations!
Nov 22, 2014 4:39 PM

Feb 2014
AdolTheRed said:
After reading Zefyris's explanation about Koukyuu Rakuen Kyoujou - Harem League Baseball, I'm curious......... is the Gender-Bender tag correct too? If it is, then does that mean the MC is a guy cross-dressing as a girl and joins the emperor's harem by pretending to be a girl and plays baseball with them?

The story kind of reminds me of Dress na Boku.

AdolTheRed said:
This guy must be pretty strong/bad-ass huh? Anime adaptation please!

Ikuta is the most badass military tactician I've seen. He's also well developed and one of the few male protagonists that I find charming.
Nov 22, 2014 6:19 PM

Apr 2013
Oregairu :3 :3 :3
Nov 22, 2014 9:43 PM
Jun 2014
Well Oregairu has here..
Roseanne Maceda
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 6 hours ago

2 by _MushiRock11_ »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

62 by _MushiRock11_ »»
16 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.