Forum Settings
Forums

Characters that feel real like in Zankyou no Terror.

New
Nov 20, 2014 8:04 PM
Feb 2014

I just wanted your guys help with thinking of other anime that have really archetypal, relatable "real-life" characters that feel relevant to our world.

I'm not going to delve any deeper with trying to explain for fear of creating a misunderstanding, but I will leave 3 anime here so you kinda get what I'm trying to ask of you:

Zanyou no Terror
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Welcome to the NHK

These three anime have something, regarding real-life, in common. So, can you help me out with thinking of other anime?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 20, 2014 8:07 PM

Jan 2013
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll try x:

Angel Beats!
Bakuman
Barakamon
Btooom!
Denpa Teki na Kanojo
Nov 20, 2014 8:07 PM

Mar 2014
How do you relate to a teenage terrorist?
Nov 20, 2014 9:31 PM

Oct 2013
Aku no hana
Nov 20, 2014 9:53 PM

Jul 2012
Gin no Saji
Chihayafuru
Uchuu Kyoudai (this actually felt like watching real people sometimes)

sullynathan said:

lmao Maybe OP meant Lisa?
Nov 20, 2014 10:04 PM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
I have no idea
Nov 20, 2014 10:08 PM

Oct 2013
The most relatable characters are found in slice of life shows, in my opinion. Stuff like Gin no Saji, Barakamon, the currently airing Shirobako, etc.
Nov 20, 2014 10:32 PM

Sep 2014
sullynathan said:
Nov 21, 2014 3:54 AM

Nov 2014
Isn't that like every slice of life show? Since they are all technically relatable and live in a realistic world?

I'd recommend
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Sakurasou no pet na Kanojo
Kokoro Connect
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 21, 2014 3:59 AM
Dec 2013
Carefree859 said:
sullynathan said:
Nov 21, 2014 4:34 AM

Jul 2014
BurningSpirit said:
Isn't that like every slice of life show? Since they are all technically relatable and live in a realistic world?

I'd recommend
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Sakurasou no pet na Kanojo
Kokoro Connect
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

Damnit you double-ninjad me. (Shigatsu and Kokoro Connect)

Wouldn't recommend Kawaisou at all unless you really like unlikable shitty characters, and Sakurasou isn't all that authentic in the character department, though they did a really good job to make it seem believable over time. Also the best facial expression animating I've seen, so much subtlety.
Nov 21, 2014 4:50 AM

Feb 2013
Hanasaku Iroha, Wandering Son, Sakamichi no Apollon, Maria Sama ga Miteru, and Piano are some of my fav realistic slice of life series.

There's also Someday's Dreamers which is more urban fantasy, but still pretty realistic and character oriented.

You might also like the other P.A. Works originals like Tari Tari, Nagi no Asukara, Shirobako, Glasslip(inb4 haters) and True Tears.

Or for something darker/more serious, you can try Kaiji, LOGH, Kino no Tabi, Aku no Hana, Narutaru, Shiki or Bokurano.

There would also be Tokyo Babylon which i find better than many of these, but that's a manga.
Nov 21, 2014 5:51 AM
Jan 2014
zankyou no terror. relatable characters? you got to be kidding.

but anyway most slice of life anime would have "real-life" relatable characters.
Nov 21, 2014 8:14 AM

Aug 2013
I can relate to Five!

But seriously, maybe you can find some relatable characters in a slice of life anime since they are going throught problems that the everyday person encounters.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Nov 21, 2014 9:05 AM

May 2012
Bartender
Hataraki Man
Usagi Drop
Nov 21, 2014 9:12 AM

Nov 2011
SeijiSensei said:
Bartender
Hataraki Man
Usagi Drop

Face it, Rin is the most unrealistic well-behaved child of all time. Usagi Drop is a great anime, either way.

Also, OP said 'feel real', not 'can relate to', so I guess Zankyou no Terror passes.

This thread: dimensional characters, basically.

Try Ergo Proxy.
Nov 21, 2014 9:35 AM

May 2012
LunarProxy said:
Face it, Rin is the most unrealistic well-behaved child of all time. Usagi Drop is a great anime, either way.

I was thinking more of Daikichi.
Nov 21, 2014 9:46 AM

May 2014
Great Teacher Onizuka, Mushishi, Princess Tutu, Ping Pong The Animation
Nov 23, 2014 2:20 PM
Feb 2014
Thanks you guys! Some of that really helped. I didn't necessarily mean "relatable." I should have clarified. But, there is no denying that the characters in Zankyou no Terror feel real. And, they don't feel cliched. Neither do the ones in Anohana and Welcome to the NHK.

Another good example would be Nana or The Garden of Words.

These 5 anime feel more literary in nature. That's what I'm going for.
quitobarajasNov 23, 2014 2:23 PM
Nov 23, 2014 2:27 PM

Mar 2013
You want "real like" characters like those in Zankyou no Terror and AnoHana.

A show about (highly successful) child terrorists/youtube celebrities and ghost girls respectively.

Wut.
Nov 24, 2014 12:42 PM

May 2012
kataanger said:
These 5 anime feel more literary in nature. That's what I'm going for.

Bartender has an episode about Hemingway and one that references Ibsen's A Doll House.

For literate scripts, I'll suggest Seirei no Moribito and, especially, Hyouge Mono. Monster qualifies as well. Mouryou no Hako has some extended dialogues in the middle episodes that are pretty literate but complex enough that you should watch them when you're awake and alert.
Nov 24, 2014 1:03 PM

Mar 2012
Monster, Cowboy Bebop
Nov 24, 2014 1:08 PM
Apr 2008
kataanger said:

I just wanted your guys help with thinking of other anime that have really archetypal, relatable "real-life" characters that feel relevant to our world.

I'm not going to delve any deeper with trying to explain for fear of creating a misunderstanding, but I will leave 3 anime here so you kinda get what I'm trying to ask of you:

Zanyou no Terror
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Welcome to the NHK

These three anime have something, regarding real-life, in common. So, can you help me out with thinking of other anime?
Yeah, nine and 12 with their amazing hacker skills and the fact they were experimented on by a department of their government makes them relatable to the average person.
Nov 24, 2014 10:39 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Locked
Listing topic. Please read the board rules before making a thread.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 42 minutes ago

4 by ryokoblue »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

43 by MichaelJackson »»
10 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

104 by FFandMMfan »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

41 by SnipeStrike »»
15 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

67 by Chuckiemuffin »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.