Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 10, 2014 12:29 PM

Jul 2014
Last night I sat through the entire series and overall it was alright. I didn't see anything "Extremely Horrible", yes a few cliches but honestly overall I would recommend it to someone who wants to watch an anime to keep them interested. So I guess the real question is, why/how did "Tokyo Ghoul" accumulate so much hate?
TyrelNov 10, 2014 1:34 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 10, 2014 12:30 PM

Feb 2013
By being a bad adaptation I guess. A lot of manga fans felt jyped. Don't fave much of an opinion one way or the other since I haven't seen/read much of both the anime or manga.

Oh yeah there was censorship too

Dec 2013
It accumulated hate because it's a shit adaptation, just ask any manga reader.

Also stupid censors (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1295025) And Horrible pacing and directing.
PriestSlayerNov 10, 2014 12:33 PM
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us

Oct 2014
yah, read the manga

Feb 2013
its like a worse version of shiki
i wouldn't call it bad, as it still has it's moments
Nov 10, 2014 12:31 PM

Mar 2013
I prefer the manga more than the show.

Jul 2012
People hate censoring and bad pacing, I guess. Plus, manga purists...

It's not bad though.

Nov 2012
i assume it's because the manga readers were disappointed how it was adapted, and because of the censorship. i thought it was good though, and it also introduced me into the manga c:
Nov 10, 2014 12:32 PM

Nov 2012
i dont know, but im sure its better than fate ubw
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Nov 10, 2014 12:33 PM
Aug 2011
it's like 95% bad and 5% good
therefore it's bad
Nov 10, 2014 12:35 PM

Dec 2013
I just can't understand how someone that has read the manga can possibly say this adaptation is good.

When you are an anime-only watcher, and you can 'feel' the rushing, you know there's something really wrong
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Nov 10, 2014 12:43 PM

Oct 2014
I personally liked it.
Then again, I have not seen the manga yet.
The problem is expecting a full out adaption true to the original.
Perhaps more research is due on set anticipating adaption, and less on wishful thinking.
The fact it got an anime at all is a blessing, and as a standalone anime, it is good. If you don't compare it to the manga, it is good.
The mistake is expecting too much, for it then to all crash.
Maybe the best way to look at anime adaptions is to look at them as an alternative of the manga. Not a direct copy. Scenes will have to obviously be skipped, but on the whole it is good non the less.
Life isn't worth living if one isn't dreaming. Life isn't worth dreaming if one isn't doing.
Nov 10, 2014 12:46 PM
Dec 2013
I thought it was okay. I haven't read the manga, though. Yes, it's heavily censored, but there should be an uncensored version in the future. Btooom! was heavily censored when it first aired, but an uncensored version now exists. It's pretty unfair to call a show bad because of censorship when it was airing, if an uncensored version will exist in the future.

It's also apparently an unfaithful adaptation of the manga. But if an anime is unfaithful to the source material, it doesn't make it a bad show. (Bad adaptation =/= Bad anime). Fullmetal Alchemist is very unfaithful compared to the manga, but people love that show.
wildhoodNov 10, 2014 12:52 PM
Nov 10, 2014 1:33 PM

Sep 2011
There are still a lot more people who think its good than bad.
Nov 10, 2014 1:37 PM

Jan 2013
Its not that the anime is THAT terrible.

Its that the manga is a fucking masterpiece.
Nov 10, 2014 2:00 PM

Apr 2014
SolvitePriest said:

This

And the anime had its moments like episode 1, 8 and 12 but it still wasn't enough because it had glaring flaws. Well at least its better than most fall series this season.
Nov 11, 2014 3:00 AM
Oct 2014
Ishida Sui has no complain about it.Hate it or not Ishida Sui will be planning to write 2nd season anime original story. the first PV for S2 after the logo gets shown. More or less it means that Ishida Sui is going to ‘spin/weave’ a story for ‘another Tokyo Ghoul’. The director also mentioned that Ishida even went out of his way to create a name (manuscript) for S2 and it seems that the animation staff are going to respect his wishes to make it happen. Moreover, I'm more interest to see how s2 anime story went so NO I'm not tokyo ghoul anime haters thx to anime I get to read the manga makes me enjoy both it's manga and anime even more.
And I hope you feel the same too. ^3^

Source from: http://makyun.tumblr.com/post/100568818562/oookay-going-to-clarify-another-thing-ive
Nov 11, 2014 10:06 AM

Mar 2013
Z4k said:
SolvitePriest said:

This

And the anime had its moments like episode 1, 8 and 12 but it still wasn't enough because it had glaring flaws. Well at least its better than most fall series this season.

+1
Nov 16, 2014 9:10 AM

Aug 2013
I haven't read the manga, and even so the series is made me too bad, characters too annoying and almost nothing charismatics, fast exageramente plot and too inconsistent....
Dec 7, 2014 6:37 AM

Jul 2014
From what I gather, the people who have read the manga hate the anime for its poor adaptation.

For those people who haven't read the manga, they probably hate the anime because it had too much hype before it aired and when it finally did, everyone's expectations were shattered.

I feel this way too. I haven't read the manga but I've heard a lot about it before it was released. People kept talking about it and it got me intrigued and thinking there's a really awesome anime coming. When I finally watched it? My reaction: "Err... What?"

I didn't hate the anime, but it did leave me wondering just what I was watching. There were nice moments and I liked quite a bit of the characters but as far as the storyline went... it left me mostly confused and when I reached the final episode, hanging.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 7, 2014 10:33 AM

Jan 2014
People who hate the anime are just a bunch of ignorant babies. The manga was hardly that popular and there were no scans of the manga. That was UNTIL THE ANIME BOOSTED IT'S POPULARITY.

If it was as popular as snk was before it was adapted then people would have some right to complain.
Dec 17, 2014 4:09 AM

Sep 2008
JumpinJackCrash said:
I thought it was okay. I haven't read the manga, though. Yes, it's heavily censored, but there should be an uncensored version in the future. Btooom! was heavily censored when it first aired, but an uncensored version now exists. It's pretty unfair to call a show bad because of censorship when it was airing, if an uncensored version will exist in the future.

It's also apparently an unfaithful adaptation of the manga. But if an anime is unfaithful to the source material, it doesn't make it a bad show. (Bad adaptation =/= Bad anime). Fullmetal Alchemist is very unfaithful compared to the manga, but people love that show.

Quoted for truth.
Dec 17, 2014 5:00 AM

Jan 2013
I'm 3 episodes into it and I kinda like it... But if it's because the manga is just so good that it makes the anime look bad then I will see for myself
Dec 17, 2014 5:02 AM
Jul 2018
Boring.

Might give the manga a chance.
Jan 3, 2015 10:24 AM
Feb 2012
I dont read the manga,is the manga really that good? I finished the anime in 1 shot and i would rate it 8.5/10
Jan 3, 2015 11:10 AM

Jul 2014
^
It depends on what you are looking for, the anime basically just highlighted most of the gory bits and the action parts of the manga and they didn't even do most of it right and then left out all the character development, storytelling and explanation, basically it left out what made Tokyo Ghoul...well...Tokyo Ghoul, at least for me anyway.

In fact I have seen some people that started out with the anime and liked it and then complain that the manga is dull with too much talking and not enough action/gore, without even realizing that the action was not even the main point of the story.

For me the anime even without comparing it to the manga is a 4-5/10, it was pretty to look at the soundtrack was alright, I'm not really a big fan of the opening though.

But yeah most of the hate seems to actually come the from manga readers.
Jan 3, 2015 7:43 PM

May 2014
Its mostly because the manga itself was really well done, and the anime compared to it is not. So expectations were raised and then crushed. The anime isn't as horrible as everyone is saying, but the bitterness of how bad it is compared to the manga makes it seem a lot worse to manga-readers.
Jan 4, 2015 1:29 AM

Jul 2010
I've only seen the anime, but I don't like it also... I think it could be because what you've guys already said (bad manga adaptation)
But I felt that the characters behave very irrelevant sometimes (sorry english isn't my native, so it's hard to put it in words) They do or say things which are complete wtf in the current situation, and that was a very disillusioning for me.
I solely liked only the last episode! But I very liked it... i dunno, it has an aura, that could hooked me up on the series, if it goes earlier.

That's my opinion about the show, and I think I will give a chance to the manga :D
-Shio-Jan 4, 2015 1:53 AM
Jan 5, 2015 1:36 PM

Mar 2014
Because it's shit
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 6, 2015 11:48 AM

Aug 2012
Because it's the new hating bandwagon since SAO.

Haters gonna hate ♪

Can't wait for the new seaon on 9th of January ♥

Jan 6, 2015 11:49 AM

Apr 2014
Because the anime is never as good as the anime, apparently
Jan 7, 2015 4:47 PM

Mar 2014
Hyunckel said:
Because it's the new hating bandwagon since SAO.

Haters gonna hate ♪

Can't wait for the new seaon on 9th of January ♥
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 11, 2015 7:50 PM

Oct 2012
Is the anime so bad that it can't stand on its own? I was wondering if I could watch it before reading the manga, or if I should read the manga exclusively.
Jan 11, 2015 8:02 PM

Sep 2012
romagia said:
its like a worse version of shiki
Bingo

It's unoriginal, the characters are stupid and annoying, and nobody does anything that makes sense. Motives are vague and unexplained, and the whole thing just feels like a big excuse to draw "gritty" action scenes and gore fanservice.
Jan 12, 2015 10:48 AM

Apr 2012
manga is almost always better then the anime adaptation... however, tokyo ghoul anime is still far from being bad... i mean, come on, look at tose other shows -.- ... it was for sure one of the best in 2014... though, those comments... it really surprised me... i thought it was well received... :3
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid." (A Clash of Kings)
Jan 13, 2015 10:49 AM

Oct 2013
I kind of put off watching it because i saw the negative reactions, but once I actually sat down and gave it a chance I REALLY liked it.

I have not read the manga and likely never will. Just judging the show solely as an anime, i think it is easily an 8/10 or 9/10. its certainly better then a lot of the crap that's come out recently.
Jan 13, 2015 1:54 PM
May 2012
I didn't read reactions before watching it and haven't read the manga, and what I can say is that it was FAR from bad.

Actually it's maybe one of the best animes of the season. People hate on it cause it's "no plot, bad characters, stereotypical" ? Please. Look at the whole crap adaptations of school romances from light novels, yes the ones with 5-lines names who are an excuse to do fanservice with typical bland guy, tsundere, osananajimi etc etc...

For fuck sake, if TG was bad, then the rest of the shows for the past two years were 99% HORRIFIC.

Stop being some retarded "omg i read mange so much better anime = shit ok irrelevant shwhjjh" elitists.
Give it a FAIR try. Consider it as different from the manga if you have to, but don't go hate on it when you were ready to hate on it before even watching it.

And as for plot gaps, *MAYBE*, just *MAYBE*, you can take in account the fact that a second season is being aired which might reply to most of them, and that this might have been the plan of the production from the beginning? It's unfair to hate on non-answered problems when another season is being aired...

And at the end, even if compared to manga it is shit, it is still better than most other crappy animes and should be graded compared not to manga but compared to other animes CAUSE ITS A FUCKING ANIME NOT A MANGA.

Sorry for being rude but it's really pissing me off to always see the exact same hate towards every damn adaptation of a manga.
Jan 14, 2015 7:49 PM
Jun 2014
I honestly liked this show and I believe it to better then a lot of the shite that was released last year. In addition censuring is only a temporary complaint, if you thought it hindered your experience, (let's be honest it did) go back and watch it again and see if you opinion changes. As for the pacing, it is hard to expect everything to be put in if they are covering 66 or so chapters in a 12 episode adaptation. As a result, the show had inevitably to cut out things and change others for time sake. With that fact in mind I found the adaptation to be ok with a coherent story being told. Overall, while not as good as the manga, I found the show good and I think readers of the manga need to learn the meaning of "adaptation", which is not a direct translation of the manga into anime.
Jan 15, 2015 4:41 AM

Oct 2013
PriestSlayer said:
I just can't understand how someone that has read the manga can possibly say this adaptation is good.

When you are an anime-only watcher, and you can 'feel' the rushing, you know there's something really wrong

Yeah something just 'felt' off with this anime.

raenydays said:
From what I gather, the people who have read the manga hate the anime for its poor adaptation.

For those people who haven't read the manga, they probably hate the anime because it had too much hype before it aired and when it finally did, everyone's expectations were shattered.

I feel this way too. I haven't read the manga but I've heard a lot about it before it was released. People kept talking about it and it got me intrigued and thinking there's a really awesome anime coming. When I finally watched it? My reaction: "Err... What?"

I didn't hate the anime, but it did leave me wondering just what I was watching. There were nice moments and I liked quite a bit of the characters but as far as the storyline went... it left me mostly confused and when I reached the final episode, hanging.

My thoughts EXACTLY!

Tristan971 said:
For fuck sake, if TG was bad, then the rest of the shows for the past two years were 99% HORRIFIC.

Well, you aren't too far off with that.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jan 15, 2015 10:00 PM
Apr 2013
Tristan971 said:
I didn't read reactions before watching it and haven't read the manga, and what I can say is that it was FAR from bad.

Actually it's maybe one of the best animes of the season. People hate on it cause it's "no plot, bad characters, stereotypical" ? Please. Look at the whole crap adaptations of school romances from light novels, yes the ones with 5-lines names who are an excuse to do fanservice with typical bland guy, tsundere, osananajimi etc etc...

Stop being some retarded "omg i read mange so much better anime = shit ok irrelevant shwhjjh" elitists.
Give it a FAIR try. Consider it as different from the manga if you have to, but don't go hate on it when you were ready to hate on it before even watching it.

And as for plot gaps, *MAYBE*, just *MAYBE*, you can take in account the fact that a second season is being aired which might reply to most of them, and that this might have been the plan of the production from the beginning? It's unfair to hate on non-answered problems when another season is being aired...

And at the end, even if compared to manga it is shit, it is still better than most other crappy animes and should be graded compared not to manga but compared to other animes CAUSE ITS A FUCKING ANIME NOT A MANGA.

Sorry for being rude but it's really pissing me off to always see the exact same hate towards every damn adaptation of a manga.

Thanks bro, I have read the manga but all these cunts on here make me wanna vomit, the anime is certainly very good on it's own merit, definitely much better than most of the shit aired for the past years.
Nov 3, 2015 4:34 PM

May 2015
Having watched the anime thinking it was awesome, and then being confused by all the people on here saying it's a rubbish adaptation and they cut loads of character development out I decided to read the manga. To my surprise the manga is pretty much like 90% the f%*king same as the anime! There was hardly anything cut at all! Some scenes were rearranged that I thought actually worked better in the anime. And maybe 2 chapters of the manga were cut out. Overall they did a very good job of condensing the first 7 volumes of the manga into just 12 episodes. I honestly don't think they could do a better adaptation in 12 episodes. The animes fight scenes were amazing and much better than the manga, also you have the great visuals and music and voice acting in the anime, and the blood and gore was awesome! Also extra scenes they added like keneki getting the shit beaten out him was one of the best parts of the anime. So yeah I think people bitching about this being a bad adaptation really don't know what a bad adaptation is.
jedmanNov 5, 2015 3:24 AM
Nov 14, 2015 6:06 PM
Oct 2015
I personally found the anime to be great, but only if you view it as a separate entity from the manga. I think that's why people are unhappy; the adaptation is awful. No squad Kaneki :(
Nov 14, 2015 6:11 PM

Jul 2013
Bad adaptation. However I find season 1 to be rather faithful to the manga, season 2 they just went monkeys and forgot about the plot.
I still enjoyed it though, less so for season 2.
Nov 22, 2015 11:05 PM

Aug 2015
Soren said:
Bad adaptation. However I find season 1 to be rather faithful to the manga, season 2 they just went monkeys and forgot about the plot.
I still enjoyed it though, less so for season 2.

Good points
I really despise Tokyo Ghoul (ANIME) at this point. Studio Clown Ruined a good manga series and ROOT A is one of the worst things I seen in anime.
Dec 4, 2015 3:00 PM

Jun 2013
Dunno, it felt to me like a worse version of Deadman Wonderland, and I didn't particularly care for DMW anyway, sooooo
Dec 31, 2015 3:59 PM

Dec 2015
I reviewed this, actually. I don't think it's extremely horrible. It was poorly executed, the character development was sloppy, and it used adrenaline scenes to draw in its target audience too much. When I paid attention to the scenes that weren't adrenaline focused, focused on character development, story line development, and how the episodes strung together, it all seemed poorly done to me. I don't believe it deserves half of the hype it's gotten.
FBHSIEDec 31, 2015 4:00 PM
Dec 31, 2015 4:03 PM

Feb 2014
a lot of times if a decent anime gets a lot of hate than it`s probably because of the manga readers.
Jan 14, 2016 9:21 AM

Jun 2010
Not everyone likes the same things, get over it.
Some say it repeats itself badly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2016 12:08 PM
Jan 2016
I actually like the anime but the manga was because it showed scenes that weren't in the anime. I watched the uncensored Tokyo ghoul.
Jan 18, 2016 12:10 PM

Jul 2015
Tokyo Ghoul Root A isn't a bad adaptation .

It was made like that intentionally .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

843 by Fauxquse »»
Apr 4, 11:47 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

430 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 7, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

319 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 6, 10:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.