Forum Settings
Forums

GONZO Starts Contact Management of a Moe Buddhist Temple

New
Nov 10, 2009 7:36 AM

Feb 2008
According to the official website, anime production studio GONZO started a contact management of a Buddhist temple Ryohoji. The temple became famous when the chief priest put a PR sign with Moe characters last May.

Picture of the Moe sign

Each character represents Buddhist goddess and was designed by a CG illustrator & seiyu Toromi. GONZO is now looking for licensees who want to commercialize the characters. Ryohoji will open a maid cafeteria in the precincts during a local festival to be held this month.

Notice of the maid cafe

Ryohoji was originally established in 1490 and moved to the current place in 1590.

Sources:
GONZO
Ryohoji official website
dtshykNov 10, 2009 7:43 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 10, 2009 7:41 AM
Jan 2009
Only in Japan..
Nov 10, 2009 7:43 AM

Feb 2008
Damn, it would've been good if it wasn't for Gonzo.
Nov 10, 2009 8:02 AM

Apr 2009
That's too awesome!
Nov 10, 2009 8:30 AM

Dec 2008
Good Lord...

-Shio said:
Only in Japan..
Exactly...
Nov 10, 2009 9:01 AM

Oct 2007
Does anyone find it wrong that Buddhists, who usually try to discourage attachment to worldly possessions or the world in general, are actually trying to attract people with this?
Nov 10, 2009 9:16 AM

Jun 2007
So a Buddhist temple is becoming a moe cafeteria this month?

Nov 10, 2009 9:23 AM

Jul 2007
Totally useless...
Nov 10, 2009 9:26 AM

Apr 2009
And you guys say Christianity is messed up.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Nov 10, 2009 10:26 AM

Oct 2008
CDRW said:

haha.

anyway WTF. GONZO again o_o

Nov 10, 2009 10:28 AM

Mar 2008
W.T.F.F.
Nov 10, 2009 10:32 AM

Dec 2007
Oh my.

The Buddhas are happy now.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 10, 2009 10:41 AM

May 2008

Anime is taking over the whole fucking world..

..IN JAPAN.

Nov 10, 2009 11:13 AM

Mar 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
Does anyone find it wrong that Buddhists, who usually try to discourage attachment to worldly possessions or the world in general, are actually trying to attract people with this?

Agreed ... this is ... not right ...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2009 11:34 AM

Aug 2008
-Shio said:
Only in Japan..

Where religion falls to marketing...
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 10, 2009 11:44 AM

Sep 2008
kaminakun said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

To live without attachments to worldly possessions doesn't mean to live without worldly possessions. It's not about getting rid of material things, but about being content with what you have.
Nov 10, 2009 12:10 PM

May 2008
Interesting...WHAT THE...??
Nov 10, 2009 12:16 PM

Oct 2007
seishi-sama said:
kaminakun said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

To live without attachments to worldly possessions doesn't mean to live without worldly possessions. It's not about getting rid of material things, but about being content with what you have.
But, clearly, they're not content with the amount of visitors that they have.
Nov 10, 2009 12:59 PM

Nov 2008
Japanese people are nuts >.<
Nov 10, 2009 1:05 PM

Aug 2008
I'm all for promoting anime culture, but I find this a bit insulting to the Buddhists (and I'm not even Buddhist). A temple is supposed to be a holy place, not a place for pop culture or materialistic desires.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Nov 10, 2009 1:31 PM

May 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:

This.

But really... WTF, Japan? XD
Nov 10, 2009 1:37 PM

Jun 2008
The Japanese just get crazier and crazier. Next they'll have their president be Miku or Haruhi or some other "moe" figure over there.
Nov 10, 2009 1:54 PM

Dec 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:

Not really. The monks themselves may not be attached to worldly possessions, but they acknowledge many people are and use this for the greater buddhist good, whatever that is. Why the hell not?
Nov 10, 2009 1:59 PM

Oct 2009
thats really cool. It promotes the temple and thus the religion.
Nov 10, 2009 2:11 PM

Apr 2008
Waitwaitwait..am I reading this right?

Not a temple sign...they said "statue" or "sign" at some anime place, not "Buddahist temple shrine", right?

...right?

hooh, too strange.

It looks like a guidance sign (PR), so maybe it's not a big deal. It shouldn't affect religious custom right?..right?
Nov 10, 2009 2:22 PM

Nov 2008
Gonzo is desperate I see.
Nov 10, 2009 2:25 PM

Oct 2007
Volbla said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

Not really. The monks themselves may not be attached to worldly possessions, but they acknowledge many people are and use this for the greater buddhist good, whatever that is. Why the hell not?
Eh. Guess you've got a point.
Nov 10, 2009 2:29 PM

Mar 2008
Silent_girl said:
Japanese people are nuts >.<

Not sure if it's exactly that they are nuts, maybe just a little silly considering this one.

I don't know but I think moe is becoming a little over rated in some areas. Not that I'll stop liking moe characters and such. <3

CDRW said:

Nov 10, 2009 2:58 PM
Sep 2008
At first I read that as 'Moe Bullshit Temple'.
Nov 10, 2009 3:27 PM
Feb 2009
vault2049 said:
Good Lord...
Good Buddha.
Nov 10, 2009 3:27 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Volbla said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

You have to realize that despite what Buddhist principles are, the temple needs money and donation to survive...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 10, 2009 3:31 PM

Mar 2008
i dont know shít about buddhism, but i wonder if moe is anywhere to be found in the sutra
the world is already messed up anyway, so i doubt that something like this is gonna be the reason for the downfall of the humanity, which some religious zealots might gonna think it is :D
anyway that priest dude sounds like a funny guy :o)
i wonder if some shinto shrines gonna open miko-cafes if those buddha-maids are gonna succeed _oO

in the depths of a mind insane
fantasy and reality are the same
Nov 10, 2009 3:32 PM

Apr 2009
wakka9ca said:
Volbla said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

You have to realize that despite what Buddhist principles are, the temple needs money and donation to survive...
Which is the same reason why so many christians now think that sunday worship means electric guitars and drum sets.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Nov 10, 2009 3:55 PM

Jan 2008
Itsygo said:
i wonder if some shinto shrines gonna open miko-cafes if those buddha-maids are gonna succeed _oO

That would be awesome, at least it would be if I was living in Japan.
CDRW said:

It's actually religion that is messed up, not just Christianity.

Why won't anyone make things like this outside of Japan!? I know it wouldn't be successful, but still...
Nov 10, 2009 4:24 PM

Mar 2008
DarkBlue said:
It's actually religion that is messed up, not just Christianity.

true, that

its always been humanities forte to hide behind a concept of whatever god in order to justify themself

in the depths of a mind insane
fantasy and reality are the same
Nov 10, 2009 4:42 PM

Oct 2009
llxwarbirdxll said:
seishi-sama said:
kaminakun said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

But, clearly, they're not content with the amount of visitors that they have.

Oh c'mon, hiring a materialistic animation company to turn Buddhist goddesses into cutesy cartoon characters is, like, totally ascetic guise /rolleyes

wakka9ca said:
Volbla said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

LOL, wtf, how is the temple surviving if it throws its principles away in an attempt to make money? The problem isn't anime, moe, or buddhism but the hypocrisy of some so-called monks going against their own religious beliefs for a quick buck.
JuicyBuddhaNov 10, 2009 4:48 PM
Nov 10, 2009 4:50 PM

Aug 2008
that't not correct. It's totally crazy. This would be a messed-up culture.
Nov 10, 2009 5:29 PM

Apr 2009
i think using anime to promote temples is a common practice in japan. its no different from using rock bands or celebrities for religious events.
i even went for a counter-strike competition in a church before. -_-
Nov 10, 2009 6:30 PM

Nov 2007
Cleaned up the thread. Deleted a few quotechains. Please don't just quote other people and add nothing further. And "QFT" and "+1" type replies do not count as something further.

On topic, all I can say is... neat. I like seeing things promoted in a creative manner. Whatever works for them. If it's good business sense, then go for it.
Nov 10, 2009 6:35 PM

Oct 2008
That's a pretty cute idea..

Moe Buddhist Temple....huh?

Nice sign.. Nice poster... I guess.
Nov 10, 2009 7:13 PM

Oct 2009
Asako said:
On topic, all I can say is... neat. I like seeing things promoted in a creative manner. Whatever works for them. If it's good business sense, then go for it.

My problem is, Buddha's teachings are meant to move people away from attachment to material things, such as business and making money. So a buddhist temple using materialist propaganda to make money = not a buddhist temple = hypocrisy.

I have no problem with making money, and if the proprietors of this temple want to run an anime-oriented business that's fine with me and I wish them luck. But they shouldn't do it while disguised as an ascetic, anti-materialistic religion. Go to Akiba and open a shop or something instead.
JuicyBuddhaNov 10, 2009 7:17 PM
Nov 10, 2009 7:53 PM

Apr 2009
unbelievable!! ><
but still interesting~
Nov 10, 2009 9:13 PM
Apr 2009
llxwarbirdxll said:

ahahaha - again, only in Japan...

Indigo Osmanthus
Nov 10, 2009 9:40 PM

Apr 2009
Hahahaha!
Nov 10, 2009 10:02 PM

Apr 2008
I don't see what is wrong with this.
Moe characters is not "materialist advertising". Japan (gov) has accepted cuteness as a national feature and selling point; this is basically the same as a Texan restaurant advertising with people dressed as cowboys/girls.
Nov 10, 2009 11:07 PM

Oct 2007
good news! very interesting method

Nov 11, 2009 1:19 AM

Jul 2007
=w= anime taking over japan? (even though it was to begin with xD)
Nov 11, 2009 6:47 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
JuicyBuddha said:
Asako said:

My problem is, Buddha's teachings are meant to move people away from attachment to material things, such as business and making money. So a buddhist temple using materialist propaganda to make money = not a buddhist temple = hypocrisy.

Again, moving away from attachment = moderation and recognizing that the attachment is illusory.

However, our world is not a Buddhist world and the temple needs money to survive... that is the simple truth. They need either funding/donations or need to gain that money by themselves, which is mostly what all modern Buddhist temple do (in some way or another)

And Buddhists are not all ascetics. The important is to recognize that the extreme paths can lead to more suffering in a long term. And extreme anti-materialism is not what Buddhism fundamentally is.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 11, 2009 7:39 AM

Nov 2008
Meh...
I don't know if I should laugh or cry, but anyway it really looks like a joke.
So I say it: wtf??!
Nov 12, 2009 12:27 AM

Jun 2007
As an actual Buddhist, I am so offended by this. (I really am.)
Geez, why isn't anyone stopping this?!

wakka9ca said:
JuicyBuddha said:
Asako said:

Again, moving away from attachment = moderation and recognizing that the attachment is illusory.

However, our world is not a Buddhist world and the temple needs money to survive... that is the simple truth. They need either funding/donations or need to gain that money by themselves, which is mostly what all modern Buddhist temple do (in some way or another)

And Buddhists are not all ascetics. The important is to recognize that the extreme paths can lead to more suffering in a long term. And extreme anti-materialism is not what Buddhism fundamentally is.

Buddha does teach to stray people from worldly goods. And a true Buddhist monk, should stray from worldly material: Phones, computer, television, stuff like this.

Mod edit: Merged double post.
AsakoNov 12, 2009 1:07 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
10 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
Today, 11:37 AM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.