Forum Settings
Forums

Why BAD is an important piece of pop-culture related literature.

New
Nov 9, 2009 11:41 PM

Jul 2007
At first glance, something as short as BAD might be seen as a throw away manga, not even a manga so much as a two page joke. But if you look past that and really read it, really look at the message, you realize it's an incredibly complex look at the life of Michael Jackson and his relationship with the press as well as his psyche in general.
From just the dialogue alone, you can see that Michael is defending himself from accusations. "Who's the ugly one?" "Who's the stupid one?" "Who's the weak-willed one?" Not him, he insists, as he bludgeons the accuser with a baseball bat. This can be seen as Michael defending himself from the accusations of the press. "Not me!" he insists, resorting to violence out of desperation. Visually, it's also very complex. While some may see it as random nonsense, clearly it's about the way Michael's psyche sort of became cracked and damaged as his life went on, causing him to become reclusive and somewhat disturbed. After defending himself, he begins to spin faster and faster until finally he self destructs.
Indeed, what happened to MJ's mind over the course of his life. All the while, he defends himself fervently, as the on-lookers do nothing but stare.
In just two pages, this manga is an incredible look at the trials and tribulations of Michael Jackson filled with all the pain that man must have suffered being cast in a unanimously negative light for the public eye.
BAD is no doubt a masterpiece.

10/10.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 10, 2009 7:53 PM

Sep 2007
Kohikki said:
At first glance, something as short as BAD might be seen as a throw away manga, not even a manga so much as a two page joke. But if you look past that and really read it, really look at the message, you realize it's an incredibly complex look at the life of Michael Jackson and his relationship with the press as well as his psyche in general.
From just the dialogue alone, you can see that Michael is defending himself from accusations. "Who's the ugly one?" "Who's the stupid one?" "Who's the weak-willed one?" Not him, he insists, as he bludgeons the accuser with a baseball bat. This can be seen as Michael defending himself from the accusations of the press. "Not me!" he insists, resorting to violence out of desperation. Visually, it's also very complex. While some may see it as random nonsense, clearly it's about the way Michael's psyche sort of became cracked and damaged as his life went on, causing him to become reclusive and somewhat disturbed. After defending himself, he begins to spin faster and faster until finally he self destructs.
Indeed, what happened to MJ's mind over the course of his life. All the while, he defends himself fervently, as the on-lookers do nothing but stare.
In just two pages, this manga is an incredible look at the trials and tribulations of Michael Jackson filled with all the pain that man must have suffered being cast in a unanimously negative light for the public eye.

10/10.

*cries manly tears*

Bravo man. BrAVO. You praised this manga to the fullest <3
yur a kingman
Nov 11, 2009 1:57 AM

Jul 2007
It's all thanks to you sharing it with everyone.
MORE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS MANGA.
Nov 13, 2009 12:56 PM

Nov 2007
Kohikki said:

10/10.

Interesting interpretation of the "manga." However, this can be said about all the media he's put out after 1990.

Nov 13, 2009 1:40 PM

Jul 2007
Don't put it in quotations like it isn't a legitimate piece of art! D:<
Nov 13, 2009 2:10 PM

Nov 2007
They are simple quotations...

Its not meant to be negative good sir.

Nov 16, 2009 4:01 PM

Jul 2007
lmao.
Nov 19, 2009 9:24 PM

Aug 2007
i DARE you to post this in reviews for this manga.. srsly
Nov 20, 2009 12:38 AM

Jul 2007
I would, but it's not for Shin National Kid...

...pfffft

Done.
Nov 20, 2009 10:22 AM

Jul 2007
Kohikki said:

...pfffft

Done.

3/7
Dey hatin'.
Nov 20, 2009 1:25 PM

Nov 2007
They have to read the manga to fully appreciate its awesomeness.

Nov 21, 2009 4:10 PM

Mar 2009
That....that....wow....that was incredible. Well done. I should read it again with your analysis in mind. It'll only take me about 3 seconds to read it over anyway. =P

I rated your review as helpful, btw. :)
Nov 21, 2009 10:34 PM

Aug 2007
Kohikki said:

...pfffft

Done.
:D:D i love you kohikki. i really do :)

that was beautiful!!! just stunning! i dare anyone not to want to read that after reading your review! <3333
Nov 21, 2009 11:12 PM

Sep 2007
Mormegil said:
That....that....wow....that was incredible. Well done. I should read it again with your analysis in mind. It'll only take me about 3 seconds to read it over anyway. =P

I rated your review as helpful, btw. :)

Seconded
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» New National Kid Available

StLzFirstLady - Nov 16, 2009

5 by cidz »»
Nov 19, 2009 6:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.