Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 3, 2014 8:19 AM

Apr 2013
SeibaaPriest said:
Yeah, watch it dubbed. Setting aside Jun Fukuyama sounds a bit too young to believably play Lawrence.

Lawrence is 25 years old. How Jun Fukuyama, 30 years old by the time the first season aired, can have a voice too young to play Lawrence believably? If a 30 years old has this voice, how can it be unbelievable than a 25 years old has it? You're not making any sense. Or could it be that because Lawrence have gray hair, you thought he was a 40 years old guy?
Nov 3, 2014 8:25 AM

May 2011
His hair is Silver, leave his glorious Silver hair alone :D
Nov 3, 2014 8:28 AM

May 2012
The Spice and Wolf dub is so good, better than the Japanese version imo. Brina Palencia and Michael J Tatum are fantastic!
Nov 3, 2014 8:32 AM

Mar 2012
Zefyris said:
SeibaaPriest said:
Yeah, watch it dubbed. Setting aside Jun Fukuyama sounds a bit too young to believably play Lawrence.

Lawrence is 25 years old. How Jun Fukuyama, 30 years old by the time the first season aired, can have a voice too young to play Lawrence believably? If a 30 years old has this voice, how can it be unbelievable than a 25 years old has it? You're not making any sense. Or could it be that because Lawrence have gray hair, you thought he was a 40 years old guy?
I'm talking purely from the perspective of the character itself. Someone in his position would be more experienced with the world than some random 25 year old guy you pull of the streets.

Regardless of his age FukuJun's voice just has a natural youthful sound to it that works really well with teenage boys. Fully grown adults with lots of life experience under their belt and a mature personality to come with that experience like Lawrence? Not so well.

I read the first volume or so of the LN before I watched the anime and the voice I imagined him having in my head when he spoke sounded a lot closer to J Michael Tatum than Jun Fukuyama.
Nov 3, 2014 8:36 AM
Dec 2013
imo I think both the sub and dub are great. If you like watching subbed and dubbed anime then i'd say why not try the dub, since when there's a good dub why not take the opportunity to enjoy it and watch the whole screen instead of the subs for once. I I like the Japanese voices just a little bit more, but that's not to say by any means it was a bad dub, Kraft's voice was especially nice.
Nov 3, 2014 8:39 AM

Sep 2011
SeibaaPriest said:
Zefyris said:

I'm talking purely from the perspective of the character itself. Someone in his position would be more experienced with the world than some random 25 year old guy you pull of the streets.

Regardless of his age FukuJun's voice just has a natural youthful sound to it that works really well with teenage boys. Fully grown adults with lots of life experience under their belt and a mature personality to come with that experience like Lawrence? Not so well.

I read the first volume or so of the LN before I watched the anime and the voice I imagined him having in my head when he spoke sounded a lot closer to J Michael Tatum than Jun Fukuyama.
to add onto this, theres a reason jun fukuyama plays mainly teenage boys while J michael tatum mainly voices older characters, regardless of the actors age their voices are better suited for a specific age group

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 3, 2014 10:47 AM

Jun 2010
Khaosman said:
I also have to mention that the writer for Spice and Wolf apparently said the English version is the definitive version of the show. But I admit, I can't really prove it. Its what I heard.

Stop being fucking retarded.
The reason why you can't "really prove it" is because the author NEVER SAID SUCH WORDS.
Your attempt to valid your argument by a unconfirmed hoax without proper source is what makes MAL the shitty place it is.
Seriously, just stop.

Isuna Hasekura in fact praised Ami Koshimizu, the Japanese seiyuu, in a TBS interview for her characterization of Holo, following strictly the idea he had in mind when wrote the novels.
She did a faithful act of all the eccentricities and little quirks he wrote, while any other VA would change it to be more easy and/or fast to work. Instead, she developed a whole character with a special accent and intonation. You found find ANY other character on the entire anime medium with the same kind of speech "Japanese Holo" has, basically because it's unique of her seiyuu.

Khaosman said:
I imagined myself speaking the English subs in the same tone as the characters were speaking in Japanese and already, it sounded very weird and silly. A normal English speaker would find that manner of speech unnatural. It may be natural in Japanese to enunciate in that manner but in the English-speaking world especially when it comes to acting, that's overreacting.

How do you think the rest of the world feels about Hollywood productions?
That's the beauty of diversity, m8.
When you're watching a JAPANESE ANIMATION, the ideal would be that you listen to the original audio without any kind of subbs nor dubs. We do this with English, so why can't you on your engríshé superiority do the same with jap?
If you think the subs makes the experience "bad and weird" that's your opinion on it. It doesn't validate the dub. Meanwhile, you may choose your subbing groups better, because a good sub is intended to give the best adaptation/environment possible.
xbobxNov 3, 2014 10:54 AM
Nov 3, 2014 10:48 AM

Mar 2014
I love the dub. J Michael Tatum did a very good job.
Nov 3, 2014 10:51 AM

Sep 2011
Dub was really good, but the Japanese voices were just amazing. You cant really go wrong, its up to you.
Nov 3, 2014 1:22 PM

May 2014
This dub is great. Anyone who says it's bad is either deaf or a Nipponophile. Those aren't hard to find around here.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Nov 3, 2014 7:03 PM

Oct 2014
xbobx said:

Stop being fucking retarded.
The reason why you can't "really prove it" is because the author NEVER SAID SUCH WORDS.
Your attempt to valid your argument by a unconfirmed hoax without proper source is what makes MAL the shitty place it is.
Seriously, just stop.

Isuna Hasekura in fact praised Ami Koshimizu, the Japanese seiyuu, in a TBS interview for her characterization of Holo, following strictly the idea he had in mind when wrote the novels.
She did a faithful act of all the eccentricities and little quirks he wrote, while any other VA would change it to be more easy and/or fast to work. Instead, she developed a whole character with a special accent and intonation. You found find ANY other character on the entire anime medium with the same kind of speech "Japanese Holo" has, basically because it's unique of her seiyuu.

Khaosman said:
I imagined myself speaking the English subs in the same tone as the characters were speaking in Japanese and already, it sounded very weird and silly. A normal English speaker would find that manner of speech unnatural. It may be natural in Japanese to enunciate in that manner but in the English-speaking world especially when it comes to acting, that's overreacting.

How do you think the rest of the world feels about Hollywood productions?
That's the beauty of diversity, m8.
When you're watching a JAPANESE ANIMATION, the ideal would be that you listen to the original audio without any kind of subbs nor dubs. We do this with English, so why can't you on your engríshé superiority do the same with jap?
If you think the subs makes the experience "bad and weird" that's your opinion on it. It doesn't validate the dub. Meanwhile, you may choose your subbing groups better, because a good sub is intended to give the best adaptation/environment possible.

Dude, take a chill pill. I only brought up the rumor, I didn't validate it. I even admitted it might not be true. Personally, I think the portrayals of Holo in both the sub and dub were very well done.

As for your watching Japanese animation part, that's fair. But I watch with subs because my grasp of Japanese isn't great (yet, I am learning). Other than that, I watch dubs because I have the choice to do so. Just like how everyone else can make their own choices.
Nov 4, 2014 6:16 PM

Nov 2011
Alright, after someone so helpful provided me with some sample comparisons (10:41-11:31 of ep. 2 & 12:03-12:50 of ep. 2), here are the conclusions I came to:

• The Japanese VAs are superb. The higher pitches seem more fitting (to me) than the deeper pitches in the dub, and Holo's speech in particular sounds quite different from most Japanese I've heard.
• The English VAs are superb as well. Though I personally prefer the Japanese voices, for the purposes of this thread I would say they're equal. Additionally, I'm able to pick up on the vocal mood better since it's in my own language. Holo's VA produces a nice accent also.

In the end it's going to be personal preference. I would recommend that other users check the sample spots I listed above for comparison. For me it's going to come down to whether I value "the voices I think sound most pleasant" or "reading the vocal mood" more.

Thanks to everyone who helped out.
Nov 5, 2014 12:14 PM
Aug 2009
Man, this debate is stupid. Both casts did a fine job, the dialogue was good in both, and since the anime's story has nothing to do with Japan, it doesn't matter what the language is. No need to "win" this one, guys. Just be happy we have two good options so more people can appreciate this anime.
Nov 9, 2014 12:51 PM
Jul 2013
Honestly I can say that this is the hardest decision to make on sub or dub. I've seen a lot of good shows, some dubbed, some subbed. It really depends on who dubbed, who subbed, and how well they did.

I normally start out watching the first episode however I find most convenient, dubbed or subbed, but if it is annoying at first I'd switch to the other, I often research a bit and look at posts like this for opinions.

What I have to say on this is that the dubbed was remarkably well done, very comprehensive, and I quite like Horo/Holo's voice. The way things were said also reminded me of Romeo x Juliet, in which I fell in love with their poetic art of speech.

Of course I also know that Japanese has it's own beautiful cultures and accents, so I watched the second episode subbed, Beautiful. I had to think about things more, but I am okay with that, as I am an experienced anime watcher and understand most cultural things by now. Really I can't tell you which is better, as it is how you feel about it that determines it's value, so if you want, watch the first few episodes both ways and determine what you like.

There is a thing I have to mention, in the dubbed it seemed a bit fuzzy around the speech, like they used some cheap editing to cut out the Japanese voices or something. (But that very well may have actually been the quality of the upload I was watching!)

I went back to the first episode and watched it both ways, and found that the subbed sounded amazing! The dubbed had a different feel, as the character said things just differently enough that their personality was slightly different to me, in the dubbed Holo seemed more seductive and secretive, but in the subbed she seemed more ordinary as she states "I am not so grand, not as a god. I am Holo, and Holo is all that I am." So she gives you more of a personal feeling that you are getting to know her, in the dubbed she says pretty much the same thing, but still feels as though she were a god-like figure. That's how I felt on that scene.
In my opinion it kinda stays the same way through out, I've not finished the show yet, so I don't know how the ending will feel both ways, but I'm trusting that the subbed will be most effective for me as was in the first and second episodes.

I understand the tones and voices very well and that I also just love that language! But don't let me discourage you from watching it dubbed, it is still amazing, just in a different way.
I've decided to hear this story with the original voices and subtitles because I am used to it and I love it!

(although I've made the decision that I might watch it again sometime in the future, I'll probably see it dubbed and compare emotions.)
Nov 25, 2014 6:46 PM
Oct 2014
Just watched the dub. It's really good. Never watched the subbed though. Okabe from Steins gate is the same voice actor for lawrence :D
May 23, 2015 6:19 AM

May 2014
I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition the other day and as I listened to the female Inquisitor's voice I realized Alix Wilton Regan would be perfect as Holo.

Actually...yes! Yes, and have Greg Ellis (Cullen) do Lawrence.

Redub. NOW.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
May 30, 2016 7:06 PM

May 2014
Man, I recently decided to go with subs for those shows you mentioned (haven't watched Trigun).

I watched the first three minutes of the dub, and I'm definitely going with the dub. This thread increased my confidence on my decision.
Jul 27, 2016 6:28 PM

Oct 2010
I hardly ever watch dubs. But I watched three episodes of Spice & Wolf in Japanese last year, and wasn't into it.

Recently I read about the Russian dub by Reanimedia:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/fehii/russian_dub_for_spice_and_wolf_is_beyond_excellent/

I don't understand any Russian, but I love the way it sounds. Russian Holo sounds sooooo good.

This post resembles one of those "Why Slavic girls are the best" ads, haha.

(I've found that English fansubs need to be synced to -8 seconds to line up with the Russian files.)
Sep 8, 2016 10:55 PM

Jan 2016
The whole sub vs. dub debate is cancer. Enough with the arguing, just state whether the one you watched was good. The fact that you have these weeaboos complaining and stating only sub is just so unpalatable. Having a half japanese and half australian background myself also just makes me shake my head to people like that, when I give both versions an equal, fair chance. Anyways to the dub.

The dub itself is mesmerizing, Holo and Kraft's VA's give one of their best performances, espescially Palencia as Holo, she just has a sense and knowledge of perfecting the character's personality, it's utterly admirable. If you watch any Dubs in general, definitely give this a watch in Dub. But, if you want to stay an ignorant weeb, go ahead and watch it Sub, after all it's your own decision.
LythelusSep 8, 2016 10:59 PM
Oct 21, 2016 3:59 AM

Feb 2016
Tried both sub and dub and i must say dub is really bad and shallow. Watched whole episode in dub, then switched to jap audio + subs to rewatch it again and i had better experience with SUB.
Oct 21, 2016 8:32 AM
Aug 2009
Velsu said:
i must say dub is really bad and shallow.

Care to explain what gave you that impression?
Oct 30, 2016 11:09 AM

Feb 2016
BashZeStampeedo said:
Velsu said:
i must say dub is really bad and shallow.

Care to explain what gave you that impression?

Sorry for late reply. I just really dislike it, for me they do not really fit the character and their behaviour. Sometimes Lawrence speaks without any feelings and seems really "stiff". Holo seems okay but i could not stand Lawrence.

It has nothing to do with "JAP dub always better rawrrr", just my opinion regarding this particular title.
Oct 30, 2016 11:39 AM

May 2015
i saw a little clip of it in dub and it actually sounded really good.

just for me i prefer sub over everything but i dont see a problem with the dub cus it was good

EDIT: oh wait this thread is like 2 years old LMAO
Oct 30, 2016 11:57 AM

Sep 2015
I have much love for the dub of this - Holo's voice stuck with me even months after I watched it, and when I read the LNs I read it all in her voice. It's the same with Lawrence albeit to a lesser extent. I'd say I watch about 90% of the anime I see in sub but this dub stands out as being a particularly excellent one.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 6, 2016 8:47 PM

Oct 2010
I'm now in the midst of a serious attempt to learn basic Russian (I've never seriously studied Japanese) and at some point, I'll continue that amazing Russian dub. Gonna be great actually understanding some of it.

And then I'll watch some more Tarkovsky films and Russian animation, I guess.
Sep 17, 2019 4:08 PM

Oct 2018
Monad said:
Khaosman said:
Definitely the dub. It is up there with the likes of Cowboy Bebop and the other few anime where the dub might actually be superior over the sub. So, I highly recommend the dub.

The choice is still yours, though. I also have to mention that the writer for Spice and Wolf apparently said the English version is the definitive version of the show. But I admit, I can't really prove it. Its what I heard.

I just can't facepalm enough. Are you people completely oblivious to acting?
Dub is still horrible. Cowboy Bebop is worst than the sub too. Whenever you hear voice that doesn't have a ridiculous tone you completely ignore the bad acting and unnatural limited emotion while they speak and yell on how is better than the original when is not even close.
Wow such a snobby attitude, I can go between dubbing & subbing on the fly as long as their aren't any specific cultural references or jokes. I appreciate voice actors from both sides of the pond, glad I don't have your 'holier than thou' attitude toward such a trivial aspect of an anime in many cases. If the effort is there, voice acting can be great in English or Japanese despite your pissy attitude.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jan 16, 2008

146 by GooseHybrid »»
Apr 17, 10:00 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

31 by Chronoes »»
Apr 17, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 25, 2008

319 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 16, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 6, 2008

154 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 9, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

153 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 4, 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.