Forum Settings
Forums

Which kind of anime fan is worse? Casual or elitist ?

New
choose the worse, theres no 3rd option
Casual
30.4%
Elitist
69.6%
1,610 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (24) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 29, 2014 4:44 AM

Apr 2012
type-beta said:
Casual elitists.
by far
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Oct 29, 2014 4:50 AM
Sep 2007
VN fans are worst, I think.
Oct 29, 2014 4:50 AM
Mar 2011
Zapredon said:

sinplay put i dount a causal would pay 50,000 yen [ around 500 usd a dvd set they pirate that ]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 29, 2014 4:52 AM

Jan 2013
Psajdak said:

i could see this

FGAU1912 said:
SolvitePriest said:

then this entire thread is invalid.

why would anyone hate casuals who more than likely contribute to the industry and never fuck with anyone.

its elitists and mal no lifers who pirate all their shit then insult the studios for not having big budgets

from a Japanese prespctive id sa casual are more lihly to pirate just to say

thats just what your ignorant government is telling you.

the average person is too pussy to steal.

thats just common sense.
Oct 29, 2014 4:52 AM

Jul 2013
sullynathan said:

lol, what?

Something perplexing you?
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 29, 2014 4:57 AM
Mar 2011
Psajdak said:

yep since they never supprt what there fans of at lest not mal's vn/sn fan base
they pirate there stuff only
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 29, 2014 4:58 AM

Mar 2014
HalfMetalPriest said:
sullynathan said:

lol, what?

The 12 year old part
Oct 29, 2014 5:00 AM

Jan 2013
anime piracy is caused by ignorant distribution systems and laughable prices.

dont feel sorry for them at all, and they arent losing any money anyway.
Oct 29, 2014 5:01 AM

Jul 2013
Any person who isn't tolerant of other people's opinions can get annoying, regardless of it being a casual or elitist.
Oct 29, 2014 5:03 AM
Mar 2011
SolvitePriest said:
anime piracy is caused by ignorant distribution systems and laughable prices.

dont feel sorry for them at all, and they arent losing any money anyway.

video games prices for the most part have been stanized in Japan for a long ttime

anime princes never will be sad fact of life

Oct 29, 2014 5:08 AM

Jul 2013
sullynathan said:
HalfMetalPriest said:

The 12 year old part
It is as I said...
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 29, 2014 5:18 AM
Dec 2013
Casuals because they can be ignorant.
Oct 29, 2014 5:22 AM

Feb 2008
I think most people confuse 'elitist' with 'critic'. The latter simply have higher expectations, whereas the former take it upon themselves to insult others because they don't have LoGH and GiTS in their favourites or something.

Personally, I think it's hilarious when people become arrogant over bloody cartoons. If you want to complain about plebeians then stop engaging in a plebeian hobby and go read books instead.
Oct 29, 2014 5:23 AM
Feb 2014
Veronin said:
I think most people confuse 'elitist' with 'critic'. The latter simply have higher expectations, whereas the former take it upon themselves to insult others because they don't have LoGH and GiTS in their favourites or something.

Personally, I think it's hilarious when people become arrogant over bloody cartoons. If you want to complain about plebeians then stop engaging in a plebeian hobby and go read books instead.

Nicoreos said:
In all seriousness, the only good anime fans are the ones who are able to hold positive discourse with fellow fans. Yes there can be criticism towards shows, because no anime is indeed perfect, but it should never have one ego dominating the conversation, otherwise it will further arouse suspicions of both casuals and elitists alike.

How's this?
Oct 29, 2014 5:24 AM

Jan 2013
Veronin said:

book elitist confirmed
Oct 29, 2014 5:31 AM

Oct 2014
The fandom website Dorkly did something similar like this but it's not two. It's 8 types of anime fans and they're not all like-able either!!!

http://www.dorkly.com/post/65535/the-8-types-of-anime-fans-youll-meet
Oct 29, 2014 5:32 AM
Jul 2014
Veronin said:
Implying he didn't read only vampire stories.
Oct 29, 2014 5:32 AM

Feb 2008
Nicoreos said:
In all seriousness, the only good anime fans are the ones who are able to hold positive discourse with fellow fans. Yes there can be criticism towards shows, because no anime is indeed perfect, but it should never have one ego dominating the conversation, otherwise it will further arouse suspicions of both casuals and elitists alike.

How's this?

Sure. If you can have an intelligent discussion about anime without attacking others, regardless of whether you're praising or critiquing the show, then you're having a positive influence on the medium. Both the arrogant kiddies and the obnoxious fans who close their ears and scream whenever somebody brings up criticism need to go away.
Oct 29, 2014 5:38 AM
Feb 2014
Veronin said:
Nicoreos said:

How's this?

Sure. If you can have an intelligent discussion about anime without attacking others, regardless of whether you're praising or critiquing the show, then you're having a positive influence on the medium. Both the arrogant 'elitists' and the obnoxious fans who close their ears and scream whenever somebody brings up criticism need to go away.

Glad we're on the same page again, my friend. This is exactly why I too find it difficult to talk about anime with others; because it's going to be one of two scenarios: One where this one guy just thinks he's important because he knows so damn much about Quality X and Quality Y and how that should be the basis to the perfect anime, I mean, no. There's other opinions. Same with the one dude who thinks Series X is almost perfect, it's kind of hard to do it myself, but I openly admit my favorite series' flaws.

I'm a critic on my own, I use enjoyment first, but I have different levels of enjoyment and I use that for the basis of my criticism. Really wish people wouldn't see that as being casual since I too use a full scale for the most part of things. It's not even elitist either, IMO. It's just being a fan but one with standards and one who wants to cooperate rather than debate.
Oct 29, 2014 5:44 AM

Sep 2014
Elitist
Oct 29, 2014 5:46 AM

Jan 2013
Veronin said:
Nicoreos said:

How's this?

Sure. If you can have an intelligent discussion about anime without attacking others, regardless of whether you're praising or critiquing the show, then you're having a positive influence on the medium. Both the arrogant kiddies and the obnoxious fans who close their ears and scream whenever somebody brings up criticism need to go away.

Projecting.
Oct 29, 2014 5:58 AM

Jun 2014
-insert type (I believe) I don't belong to-
Oct 29, 2014 6:40 AM

Aug 2014
Elitists by far...

Oct 29, 2014 6:51 AM

Jul 2012
Elitist. There's nothing quite as hilarious as someone trying to explain why your opinion of something is invalid because it's different from their opinion.

"Whaaaaaat? You didn't like KLK? Well, if you had really understood the depth of it, you would've enjoyed it." - words that were seriously said to me months ago
Oct 29, 2014 6:57 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
casuals might still become normal after a little more exposure

elitists are already a lost cause
Oct 29, 2014 7:00 AM

Nov 2013
You sound like an elitist yourself labelling someone a "casual" just because they recently got into anime.
Oct 29, 2014 7:27 AM

Apr 2014
I don't even think they are bad at all. I like them both, so no answer for me.
Oct 29, 2014 7:30 AM

Mar 2013
I have to go with elitists. Sure casuals are annoying most of the time but at least they don't go on about how ____ is so awful and ruined anime.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Oct 29, 2014 7:36 AM

Jan 2014
Elitists always feel the need to express their opinions on the newest anime season or w/e, and they never shut up about how good their taste is. While casuals can get annoying, they are nowhere near as annoying as elitists.
Oct 29, 2014 7:42 AM

Jan 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
_Otouto said:
Elitists always feel the need to express their opinions on the newest anime season or w/e, and they never shut up about how good their taste is. While casuals can get annoying, they are nowhere near as annoying as elitists.
Man this new season is garbage. My taste is supreme.

to be fair this season does suck.

its like 6 amazing shows and the rest is complete shit.
Oct 29, 2014 7:44 AM
Mar 2011
SolvitePriest said:
Zergneedsfood said:

like you can judge based on all the shows of the season that you hav not watched yet

Oct 29, 2014 7:45 AM

Jan 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
_Otouto said:

Ugh, pretty much this. They think people actually care about them and their opinions. I wish I only encountered anime elitists, but I encounter the ones who think they're taste in music and video games is superior to mine as well.
Oct 29, 2014 7:46 AM

Jan 2013
_Otouto said:
Zergneedsfood said:

Ugh, pretty much this. They think people actually care about them and their opinions. I wish I only encountered anime elitists, but I encounter the ones who think they're taste in music and video games is superior to mine as well.

This depends on if you think Fate Stay Night should be in the top 10.

If yes: Good job

If no: My taste is superior.
Oct 29, 2014 7:47 AM

Jul 2014
SolvitePriest said:
Zergneedsfood said:

Better then the Summer season
Oct 29, 2014 7:48 AM

Jan 2013
Okashi_sama said:
SolvitePriest said:

IDK

Summer had like 3 great shows, 5 or so decent shows, and some meh shows.

This season is like night and day. ~6 amazing shows and the rest i wouldnt force my autistic dog to watch.
Oct 29, 2014 7:51 AM

Jul 2014
SolvitePriest said:
Okashi_sama said:

IDK

Summer had like 3 great shows, 5 or so decent shows, and some meh shows.

This season is like night and day. ~6 amazing shows and the rest i wouldnt force my autistic dog to watch.
I only found 2 good shows in the summer, must have missed a lot.
Oct 29, 2014 7:51 AM

Jan 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
_Otouto said:
I listen to classical music, which means I'm da best. Also I only play random hipster Indie games made on RPG maker which is TRUE ARTISTIC #VALUE.

:3

I actually don't play random hipster Indie games. I just play pleb games

Civ 3 or gtfo bro.

What are you some dayz casual?
Oct 29, 2014 8:02 AM

Mar 2014
Is this even a question? Elitists by far.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Oct 29, 2014 8:06 AM

Apr 2011
People that are stuck in a specific age are worse than either of these by a mile. Old "fans", new "fans", it doesn't matter. For them, it's not the product that is good, but rather the age. If someone were to produce a pile of bullshit and said it's from their preferred age, they'd gobble it up as if nothing was better. Elitists and casuals have absolutely nothing on them.
Oct 29, 2014 8:07 AM

Apr 2011
well I like the elitist more because at least he doesnt talk much none sense

my favorite type of elitist are those kids who throw "objectively" and "bad writing" every time they want to describe something they don't like without actually giving valid reasons :^)
Oct 29, 2014 8:08 AM

Oct 2013
I find those elitists who bashes harem and ecchi anime the most annoying. What's funny is that their elitism couldn't save their too edgy for you favorite anime since the fewer they are the less likely the series they like could sell a DVD/Blu-ray.
Oct 29, 2014 8:09 AM

Jan 2013
yhunata said:
People that are stuck in a specific age are worse than either of these by a mile. Old "fans", new "fans", it doesn't matter. For them, it's not the product that is good, but rather the age. If someone were to produce a pile of bullshit and said it's from their preferred age, they'd gobble it up as if nothing was better. Elitists and casuals have absolutely nothing on them.
yhunata said:

im stuck in the hyborian age
Oct 29, 2014 9:36 AM

Jun 2012
Oct 29, 2014 10:13 AM

Feb 2013
Is that even worth comparing,elitists of course

I do'nt have anything against "Casuals",and i do'nt even mind newer anime fans and there supposed "ignorance",i just take it as someone with a different opinion.

Elitist on the other can spout some of the dumbest thing cuz they're blinded by some dumb ego (why you'd get all high and mighty over cartoons,who knows).......Not to mention.there are some of them who despite supposedly watching all those animes are still trapped in noob mentality ("oh god all new anime are shit"........"all modern anime are moeshit and ecchi" and stuff like that)

Just look at this Site for reference,some of the most annoying users are either One Trick Pony Elitists......or Wankers who end up sounding like broken records after some time
Oct 29, 2014 10:15 AM
Mar 2013
both are as bad as each other for completely different reasons
Oct 29, 2014 10:20 AM
Sep 2013
I only watch anime when there's something I find worthy my time, that's pretty casual.
I love the animation, love style but story and character writing isn't the aspect anime is excelling at.
Oct 29, 2014 10:24 AM

Oct 2014
What the fuck is wrong with being a casual fan? and 'casuals'? Anyone who calls anyone a 'casual' must be the same type of loser that idiotic anime No Game No Life glorifies; you know, an actual low-life.
Oct 29, 2014 10:26 AM
May 2014
Anyone branding themselves as an "Elitist" usually take reviewing anime way too seriously to the point where they get to rigid and narrow minded. Of course that doesn't mean they all do it
Oct 29, 2014 10:29 AM

Feb 2014
Elitists think their opinions are fact.

Easily them. There is nothing more annoying (on MAL) than people who claim that literary or artistic analysis (and by extension, anime analysis) could ever be objective. The very notion renders objectivity meaningless.

Casuals are usually pretty chill anyway. The loud zealots who are fans of like one long-running anime are usually easy to ignore.
Oct 29, 2014 10:43 AM

Jul 2010
I dont actually care either way. When someone ask me for recommendation or opinion on something I'll gladly help them. I consider myself to be a normal and helpful anime fan that enjoy helping both, new and seasoned fans. And I respect opinions of others if they does not try to forced them on me.

I'm not sure how you exactly classify casual or elitist. I just differentiate between nice, reasonable anime fans and annoying anime fans and I dont care if those annoying are casuals or elitists because they are annoying and I have no reason to try to differentiate between them anymore. I will just ignore them.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (24) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 5 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 10 hours ago

20 by Firemaster2018 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Blueberry173 »»
8 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

4 by MichaelJackson »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

58 by TsutanaiFuun »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.