Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2014 2:25 PM

Feb 2008
Is your manga backlog endless? Do you have trouble motivating yourself to start on all those older titles that have accumulated over time? Are you lonely? Ok, scratch that, do you want to participate in a fun group activity? Then this may be just what the doctor ordered - introducing The Uber Monthly Manga Readalong!

We will be reading a new manga every two weeks, which will be chosen from the titles you nominate. To speed up the process, we won't be voting for the nominated suggestions, instead, they will be randomly picked, so that each nomination gets a fair chance to be chosen. These will be the rules:

- Nominate a manga, you can nominate a maximum of two manga at a time
- The upper volume limit is 5, anymore than that would put pressure on people to finish things, which would defy the purpose of this activity
- Have fun reading!

There will be a thread opened for each manga that gets chosen, and as the maximum volume count will be five volumes per manga, you can proceed at a leisurely tempo of one volume per week, or you can read however you like, it's up to you! So, nominate away! I haven't used this many exclamation marks in the last 10 years.

Titles that have been chosen so far:

November 2014 - MW
December 2014 - Suiiki
January 2015 - Nickelodeon
February 2015- Stardust Memories
March 2015 - Believers
April 2015 - Himizu
July 2015 - Kakukaku Shikajika
August 2015 - not simple
September 2015 - Heureka
October 1 - 14 - Yajirobee
October 15 - 31 - Boku no Futatsu no Tsubasa
Ducat_RevelOct 14, 2015 10:51 PM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 22, 2014 2:34 PM

Apr 2009
Great idea, it's nice to try to get more people to read manga.
Ok then, here comes my first nomination:
Suiiki, a two volume long manga by Urushibara Yuki - best known for her most famous title, Mushishi.
NidhoeggrOct 22, 2014 11:58 PM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 22, 2014 2:46 PM

Feb 2008
From a member of the Year 24 Group, I nominate Terra e....

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 22, 2014 3:39 PM

Jan 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Great idea, it's nice to try to get more people to read manga.
Ok then, here comes my first nomination:
Suiiki, a two volume long manga by Urushibara Yuki - best known for his most famous title, Mushishi.

Isn't it a her?

ZetaZaku said:
From a member of the Year 24 Group, I nominate Terra e....

:/ I'm not big on Terra e..., but w/e.

I think I should take part in this to reduce my backlog though lol. Not sure what I will nominate yet though.
AngelsArcanumOct 22, 2014 4:32 PM
Oct 23, 2014 1:59 AM

Mar 2012
Guess I will nominate http://myanimelist.net/manga/5820/Sumire♡16-sai!!, wanted to read it for a while now. Although it's 5 volumes, so I may nominate something shorter, but meh.
Oct 23, 2014 7:22 AM

Mar 2014
I've wanted to read MW for a while and since its quite short I think its fitting. Its just a shame Akira is too long...
Oct 23, 2014 8:23 AM

Jan 2013
Alright, don't think I was aware at the time that it was a short series, but the art looks really nice and it might be a pleasant and mature little series, so I'll nominate Natsu no Zenjitsu.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/15242/Natsu_no_Zenjitsu
Oct 23, 2014 9:40 AM

Jun 2013
This sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I'll nominate Helter Skelter.
Oct 23, 2014 11:42 AM

Apr 2013
AngelsArcanum said:
Alright, don't think I was aware at the time that it was a short series, but the art looks really nice and it might be a pleasant and mature little series, so I'll nominate Natsu no Zenjitsu.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/15242/Natsu_no_Zenjitsu
Nice pick Will. I read it a long time ago and it's one of the better mature romance I have ever read. ;)

as for my nomination, I choose Nickelodeon (not the western tv station one). A compilation of weird and surreal one-shots, I read some chapters and it's really fun.
Oct 23, 2014 8:53 PM

Jun 2013
lugonghu said:

as for my nomination, I choose Nickelodeon (not the western tv station one). A compilation of weird and surreal one-shots, I read some chapters and it's really fun.

Oh man, I just finished that recently, it's extremely imaginative and funny. I also thought about nominating it, but in the end decided against it for now. Glad to see more people knowing about it.
Oct 24, 2014 11:30 AM

Oct 2012
I gotta say, this is a fantastic idea, corwin! This and Aizo's Halloween thread should help my reading list grow. XD

I nominate not simple. Really curious about this one. The reception for it seems pretty good too.

Edit: As much as it frustrates me, I can't seem to find an easily accessible way to read this Ono work. I'll continue looking for one, but I might have to change my nomination. :(

Edit 2: I've found a way. But it's missing 12 pages from chapter 7. I'm so peeved right now. I might as well just think of something else. Sigh...
Ducat_RevelOct 24, 2014 12:55 PM
Oct 24, 2014 12:02 PM

Aug 2009
The line-up so far looks really good. I think I'll be fine with whatever is picked, and I don't say that often.

I suppose I should nominate something as well. Plenty of works I would like to check out have never been completely scanlated, not to mention published in the west, so that narrows my selection quite a bit. I wanted to nominate Heureka, but Iwaki Hitoshi's is popular enough these days with the Parasyte adaptation. So, let's go with Undercurrent instead.
Oct 24, 2014 12:15 PM

Apr 2012
So anything goes? And since there is no voting there is a chance everyone will "have to" read it? My sadistic senses are tingling. Ventris might really enjoy what I have in mind tough...
Oct 24, 2014 12:19 PM

Aug 2009
baki502 said:
And since there is no voting there is a chance everyone will "have to" read it?

Yes, and we will be sending special ops to homes of those who fail to do so.
Seriously though, I personally don't think that troll recs should be made. I see this as a thread to promote reading, not something like A Town Where You Live community reading thread.
Oct 24, 2014 12:46 PM

Apr 2012
metamorphius said:
baki502 said:
And since there is no voting there is a chance everyone will "have to" read it?

Yes, and we will be sending special ops to homes of those who fail to do so.
Seriously though, I personally don't think that troll recs should be made. I see this as a thread to promote reading, not something like A Town Where You Live community reading thread.

Well what I had in mind isnt necesarily a troll rec, it just needs a bit of an aquired taste to enjoy. Something among the lines like the Twintail anime this season, aka so stupid its actually funny. I was thinking about My father is a loli.

Because why not.
Oct 24, 2014 12:54 PM

Jun 2013
baki502 said:
I was thinking about My father is a loli.

Because why not.

That... that... I don't even know what to say. It definitely sounds absurd enough to be a good laugh. I'll approach this with an open mind.
Oct 24, 2014 1:10 PM

Feb 2008
Ducat_Revel said:
As much as it frustrates me, I can't seem to find an easily accessible way to read this Ono work. I'll continue looking for one, but I might have to change my nomination. :(

Edit 2: I've found a way. But it's missing 12 pages from chapter 7. I'm so peeved right now. I might as well just think of something else. Sigh...

That's quite weird, I've read not simple some time ago, though, I downloaded it from M-T... Nonetheless, it was complete.

I nominate Himizu, some of the club members (Tommy, Will and Jody) have it on their PTR, and seemingly good psychological stories are always cool.

Oct 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Oct 2012
@corwin

I got my copy from Bakabt since Mangatraders is no more. It's missing pages 160-171.

Still, I do think this would be a great manga for the club to read. Heck, I'm itching to read it. I just wish I could get those darn pages.
Oct 24, 2014 1:29 PM

Aug 2009
I read 6 chapters of My Father Is A Loli, stopping at that cliffhanger when the MC turned into a girl thanks to the drink his loli father gave to him in order to cure him of his loli complex (that should give you the idea what this series is like; and yeah, I know it's a spoiler but does anyone really care). No further chapters were available at the time, so I stopped there and forgot about it. Some might remember me reading it because I wrote a comment on all the wtf stuff in it as I was going through it. It was so stupid and ridiculous that it became...not as unenjoyable and offensive as I had expected. Certainly not good, but too over the top for me to hate it.
metamorphiusOct 24, 2014 1:32 PM
Oct 24, 2014 1:52 PM

Aug 2009
Double posting, but bear with me, because it's not a continuation of the Loli talk.

Regarding not simple, it has been on my ptr list forever, and the missing pages were the reason I never read it, actually.
But I remember that I managed to find them in Russian, so I had that version (seems I don't have it anymore because I changed between PCs and I seem to have deleted/lost it), for what it's worth. I think I can figure what is going on, but maybe I should check some parts with my mother, if she still remembers any Russian. Anyway, here are the missing pages in the Russian version, if anyone is interested
http://readmanga.me/not_simple/vol1/7
metamorphiusOct 24, 2014 1:57 PM
Oct 24, 2014 2:23 PM

Oct 2012
Oh thanks meta! I'll go see if I can bug people who've read it (or own a copy of it) to post or send me a copy of the dialog in those pages. Regardless of whether or not this is still a viable nomination, I'm now hellbent on reading it.
Oct 24, 2014 2:32 PM

Aug 2009
NP. If you don't find anyone else, once I read it (I plan to read it really soon, next weekend probably, since this thread reminded me of it), I can send you the text. I went through the pages and the dialogue is fairly simple, so even I can translate it (I need to check some words though). Of course, it will be a translation from second-hand source, not Japanese original, but it's still better than nothing.
Oct 24, 2014 10:52 PM

Aug 2009
More double posting...

I finished not simple. Great stuff. And, since I was looking for an excuse to procrastinate, I translated those missing pages.
Here they are, for those who might be interested in them (I am guessing it's only Ducat xD). If there are spelling mistakes, do excuse that, I didn't do spellcheck.
metamorphiusOct 24, 2014 10:57 PM
Oct 24, 2014 11:05 PM

Oct 2012
Thank you, meta! I'd post a gif of a really happy cat dancing, but you're the authority on cat pics, so I think I'll hold back then. But this is awesome and I'm honestly really grateful. :D
Oct 26, 2014 11:39 AM

Aug 2014
I haven't read it yet, but since it's on the E-list and I think that it looks quite interesting, I'm nominating Omoide Emanon. One question though - since it's only one volume, is it okay to nominate it together with its apparent sequels? Since even if you add the sequels listed on MAL together, you'd still only be at 4 volumes.
Oct 26, 2014 12:28 PM
Nov 2009
Just go for the entire series since that is what's really interesting about it. But if they are going to adapt all novels then it might be ongoing for a while with slow progress.
Oct 27, 2014 2:17 PM

Mar 2009
Is Angels aware that translations on Natsu no Zenjitsu have been far behind for years? They're only on chapter 27, it appears.
Oct 27, 2014 3:36 PM

Jan 2013
AlabastreAizo said:
Is Angels aware that translations on Natsu no Zenjitsu have been far behind for years? They're only on chapter 27, it appears.

I was not; I kind of just stumbled upon the series, took a glance and was intrigued and thought that since it was complete at 5 volumes someone might've gotten through it all already, it looked promising enough to have some ardent fans, but I guess I shouldn't make those assumptions. My bad then haha.
Nov 2, 2014 11:30 AM

Apr 2009
Nice, this month's readlong is Tezuka's MW. Hopefully I can get around to that tomorrow and start posting my thoughts.
Nov 2, 2014 1:49 PM

Feb 2008
Oh well, I already read that. Great manga though, think of it as a gay version of Monster.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 3, 2014 11:01 PM

Apr 2013
Any Idea where to find the manga MW online? I can't use Bakabt since my government block the site..
Nov 4, 2014 6:58 AM

Feb 2008
Nov 6, 2014 6:25 AM

Apr 2013
corwin_r said:
Here you go.
Yeahhh, too bad, my government also blocked that site. I really miss kissmanga though, all that scrolling action while reading mango.
Thanks anyway corwin.
And I'm still looking for MW in the vast internet....
Nov 6, 2014 12:42 PM
Apr 2014
My library had the translation of everything but the last volume of MW ;_; I never got around to finishing it, this might be a good time.

About Natsu no Zenjitsu, I started that with high hopes because of the fabulous art and the intriguing characters, but then it went NTR and I quit. I hate NTR. Hate it. Like really.

Only one of the others I've read is Omoide Emanon, which is so incredibly amazing I read everything by that author I could find in a couple of hours (so many cats), but I'm gonna read not simple now. I hadn't heard of it, but thanks to meta translating those pages I feel like I have a moral obligation to read them. And no you guys don't know me, I'm not really active here. Uni takes a lot of time out of your hands.
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Nov 6, 2014 1:46 PM

Jul 2013
Looking back on MW, the most interesting thing about it for me was seeing the bad guy slither or charm his way into people's lives, find some ingenious way to destroy them, and then quickly move to his next target. It's kind of similar to watching the Joker from Batman. You don't know what he's going to do next but you know it's going to be outright insane. The antagonist in MW was sharp as he was dangerous.
Nagisa33Nov 6, 2014 1:50 PM
Nov 26, 2014 9:49 PM

Aug 2009
doraemon_pewpew said:

And I'm still looking for MW in the vast internet....

I very much suppose you already found a way to read MW by now, but I only now saw these comments. Anyway, if you still have use of it, here's a link for downloading the entire manga I just uploaded to a friend of mine who does't do torrents. Pay no heed to the file name, it's just a precaution for it to not be taken down right away.

Speaking of the manga itself, I finished it last night. Unfortunately, I must say I had several issues with it and, furthermore, on a few occasions I had to suspend my disbelief to the stratosphere, so it "only" gets a 7. For my rating scale, that is still very much in the good territory, and the only reason it is "only" is when compared to other Tezuka's stuff I have read.
metamorphiusNov 26, 2014 9:55 PM
Nov 28, 2014 6:43 PM

Mar 2013
When will december be decided?
Dec 1, 2014 9:00 AM

Apr 2009
So I finished MW a little bit later than planned because real life kept distracting me.

The manga certainly has a few problems in regards to the characters helping Yuki to an amount that makes broke suspension of disbelief. Other than that, it is a typical Tezuka gekiga with all the strengths and flaws of Tezuka's writing - which means it is still quite the good story. I am undecided if I should rate it 7 or 8, but it is clearly a nice read.

Other than the imho hit or miss love relationships and compliance the characters had towards Yuki I really liked the themes Tezuka tried to cover and I can't help but feel that MW inspired Monster, Death note and many other later famous manga a bit - at least indirectly. The Bond approach towards the plot in the second half was thankfully picked up even by Tezuka himself, but I think this selfawareness on his part did not carry over enough at times.

And now, time to wait for the next chosen title.
Dec 1, 2014 9:14 AM

Mar 2014
For december I'll nominate Believers. It got one of the more interesting premises and looks like a solid thriller.

Regarding MW I had the same issues as Meta and Nid. With that said I still enjoyed it thoroughly and I hope everyone else that had to read it did as well
Dec 20, 2014 12:56 AM

Aug 2009
Just finished Suiiki. That was a pretty beautiful and emotional ride. Strong 8/10 from me. I must say it would've probably been more fitting if I had read this manga during a scorching summer day instead of a hazy winter morning though.

P.S.
Thank you, Nid, for recommending it. I did have it on my ptr list for a longest time, but knowing myself, it would take me another two years to get around to reading it on my own.
Dec 20, 2014 4:19 PM

Mar 2014
Finished Suiiki as well. That was two volumes of feel right there. It was extremely relaxing to read and the entire manga was soothing. I have to pick this right up again on a hot day in summer. A very enjoable read.
Jan 2, 2015 9:10 AM

Oct 2012
I know I'm really late but I just finished Suiiki. Its got a strong and honest emotional core which resonated with me. It draws from a strong well. I loved how lovely and vibrant the village was. The spirited away aspect got me hesitating at first but later grew on me. But the melancholy of missing a time gone by works really well with the strong sense of family in the manga. The landslide near the end was a bit too much for me, but overall, this was such a wonderful read.
Jan 2, 2015 9:28 AM
Nov 2009
Maybe it's too niche, but we could do Stardust Memories next.
Jan 2, 2015 1:50 PM

Aug 2009
So how many of us are still participating in this? 4-5? To borrow Ducat's sentiment and phrasing from another thread, that's a crying shame.

mugi said:
Maybe it's too niche, but we could do Stardust Memories next.

Seems interesting. I really like art style of that mangaka's.
metamorphiusJan 2, 2015 1:54 PM
Jan 2, 2015 6:54 PM

Feb 2008
Sorry for being late yet again, but after randomizing the nominations, the manga of the month for January is Nickelodeon!

It's something I've meant to read for a while now, so I will definitely be joining the fun this time round.

Jan 2, 2015 7:50 PM

Apr 2013
corwin_r said:
Sorry for being late yet again, but after randomizing the nominations, the manga of the month for January is Nickelodeon!

It's something I've meant to read for a while now, so I will definitely be joining the fun this time round.
Awww yissss!!
wait, so previous nomination still count even for the next months?

and I also finished both MW and suiiki during holiday. Both are pretty good, although I prefer something like suiiki more. It's really soothing and melancholic at times, and it handle the atmosphere pretty well.... which will feel weird since the next read nickelodeon is plain weird and random as hell
Jan 3, 2015 12:00 AM

Oct 2012
doraemon_pewpew said:
which will feel weird since the next read nickelodeon is plain weird and random as hell

I've started reading it. Holy cow, this is such an enjoyable read. The stories are so zany and unusual yet are light and infectious. I'll post about it later when I'm done but damn this is fun.
Jan 3, 2015 6:37 AM

Oct 2012
Double post.

I picked Nickelodeon up and didn't put it down. I wish I still had the option to read on. 39 chapters of this is not enough.

This is an odd bag of short stories with a vague thread of superstition or urban legend running through them. Some don't even have that. Some just seem outrageous. But that's because they themselves become the urban legend. And then again, others are just unusual.

For the most part, these stories made me smile uncontrollably. There are exceptions like that giant woman who ate men and the dying grandfather's final wishes which just made me uncomfortable. I think my score would've been higher if those were gone. They just make this collection tougher for most people. I can imagine that those chapters would just spoil the fun most people could have.

Outside of that, these stories are slightly warped and twisted yet have such a fun and vibrant heart. Take The Collector and the Phantom which has a dismembered head as one of the main characters. But the head is cute and selfless devotion of her friend, despite the slight feeling of jealousy harbored, really resonates and allows the ending to bloom.

There are even extremely silly stories which are just funny like Delinquent Drinker where a girl wishes on a star for her friend's saliva to be booze and it happens and all the girls get drunk because they start making out with each other. Or The Peeping Ghost where a dead girl peeps on two gay men because she's a yaoi fangirl. But, personally, the funniest story in the collection is Contract. It was just so witty and amusing.

But nothing in this collection could top the pure sweetness of High Heels and Sneakers. Seeing a loving relationship between conjoined sisters was the highlight of this collection. It made me smile to no end. Nice recommendation, doraemon. I really had a blast.
Ducat_RevelJan 3, 2015 6:41 AM
Jan 3, 2015 7:05 AM

Feb 2008
doraemon_pewpew said:

wait, so previous nomination still count even for the next months?

Yes, all nominations count until they've been chosen. It's like that so that everyone's nomination gets a fair chance of being picked, and we've placed the rule that only one nomination per person counts. A new nomination is allowed after your manga gets chosen.

Here's what the current list of nomination looks like:

ZetaZaku - Terra e...
tommy73 - Sumire♡16-sai!!
AngelsArcanum - Natsu no Zenjitsu
Iroald - Helter Skelter
Ducat_Revel - not simple
metamorphius - Undercurrent
baki502 - Chichi ga Loli na Mono de
corwin_r - Himizu
Yuuki_snow - Omoide Emanon
TehSkullkid - Believers
mugi - Stardust Memories

If for some reason you want to exchange your nomination (I remember Ducat mentioning something like that), feel free to say. If by chance I missed someone, don't hesitate to mention it, also, don't hesitate to nominate something new if you're not on the list.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.