New
Oct 11, 2014 10:05 PM

May 2011
Just doesn't have the same magic as the original for some reason
I feel like im watching a below average remake
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 11, 2014 10:07 PM

Apr 2014
Haven't tried it. Thanks for convincing me not to now though.
Oct 11, 2014 10:15 PM

Jan 2011
havent watched it since ep 3, i had almost forgot about it
has Sailor Venus appeared yet? shes like the only reason i have for watching this
Oct 11, 2014 10:18 PM

Nov 2010
No. Never had high hopes for it so it hasn't disappointed me at all.
Oct 12, 2014 10:17 AM

May 2010
Naah, I'm pleased, definitely not as good as the first series, but I'm glad to see animated scenes from manga (too bad with so many derp faces). And this Mamoru is 10x times better.
Oct 12, 2014 6:42 PM

Jul 2011
I'm not sure. I just can't seem to get into the show like the old one. It's so boring and focusses way to much time on Sailor Moon. Kinda like the old one for not focussing so much on the manga.

Still I'll keep watching for a while, but I might drop it soon.
Oct 12, 2014 6:44 PM

Feb 2013
I'm about to. I like it but for some reason I can't get into it. Something's missing.

Oct 18, 2014 3:27 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
The direction has been completely lifeless so far. This is like a Toei B-level series... very ruined.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 18, 2014 4:35 PM

Sep 2014
I will never give up on anything Sailor Moon related. :P I'm enjoying this reboot because it actually follows the manga (more closely anyways).

However, with the crappy animation and bi-weekly release, I can understand why some people drop it.
Oct 18, 2014 7:12 PM

Feb 2010
im enjoying this imo
i never really did have high hopes when i saw the first episode LOL

but im still pretty anal about the unmoving environment and cg noodle transformations and the bi weekly release, but other than that, i will stay loyal to this bc i can finally watch whats written from the manga w/o any... fillers per say haha :)
Oct 18, 2014 7:18 PM

Jan 2012
Haven't tried it

Oct 18, 2014 7:22 PM

Feb 2009
It is missing something, but i'm going to keep watching it. For a new release I thought the animation would be better. The bi-weekly thing is a pain. Why do they have to drag it out. They're probably losing a lot of views because of it.

silversaint said:
havent watched it since ep 3, i had almost forgot about it
has Sailor Venus appeared yet? shes like the only reason i have for watching this

Sailor V appeared in yesterdays episode. I think it was ep 8.
Oct 18, 2014 7:45 PM

Jul 2012
I'm on episode 5. Can anyone tell me if it gets less episodic? Like I know, they keep on putting visions and foreshadowing but will they get to that part?
Oct 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Jan 2011
yes, the plot actually moves fairly quickly without all the filler episodes and the monster of the week. The romance also seems to be moving much more quickly with Usagi being a little more serious about things, and Mamoru taking her more seriously at an early stage. It's definitely different, and it appears that the mangaka has gotten her wish and is adding a couple of changes that she would have liked to have done in the original regarding some of the other characters.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 18, 2014 8:46 PM

Jul 2012
^ YES GOOD. Thanks :3 No more monster of the week sounds awesome!
Oct 19, 2014 6:18 AM

Apr 2010
Intended to drop it after ep 3 but after watching ep 8 I'm all for continuing. Has more story to it and really well paced. The memory flashbacks of Usako and Mamo-chan and the emotions surrounding them are well depicted. Better than the predecessor, at least.
Oct 19, 2014 6:43 AM

Aug 2013
Not I. Why would I? It gets better every week.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 19, 2014 1:05 PM

Jan 2011
Despite the sometimes weak animation and errors (most of them will be fixed in the Blu-Ray version anyway :P ) I'll continue watching the show. Why? Because I really love the music, the filler-free storyline, the small and big twists as for now and the nostalgia aspect of the show. Even if it's not a 100% copy of the manga plot, as long as Naoko has a major influence it's ok for me. Personally I only miss the old 90' comedy style expressions and a bit of character development. Although I think after all the episodes have aired it will be a good and mature story, that won't need such things. IMO because of the fast paced plot, 2 episodes per month and high expectations made SMC look so bad. Same goes for the use of CGI sequences, that I personally don't like so much either, because let's be honest... it doesn't fit into it the way it was introduced and only a handful of Animes had good CGI. I'm sure that after releasing all the episodes till Stars Arc even those people, that dropped SMC already will give it a try sooner or later. If I'll have the opportunity to watch the Blu-Ray version I'll rewatch the whole show definitely.

Oct 19, 2014 1:53 PM

Oct 2009
No way! Its really cute, and follows the manga more than the original anime. The only thing I dislike is the cheap animation, thats a shame.
Oct 19, 2014 2:04 PM
Nov 2013
I'm not. I love that there is more story so far and the animation doesn't bother me. Plus Sailor V and Artemis showed up and they are my favorites.
Oct 19, 2014 4:28 PM

Jul 2009
After animes like Madoka and Nanoha it kinda lost its magic, but I will keep watching it for the sake of my child times...I barely remember it around that time, but I do confess that it's kinda boring...
Oct 19, 2014 11:30 PM

Aug 2010
Nope.
Oct 25, 2014 2:43 AM
Sep 2011
I don't even have any childhood Sailor Moon nostalgia and I'm not wanting to continue this.

I just don't feel like coming back to the show week after week and asking "Is this gonna get better?"

Maybe some day I'll pick it up again, but in the mean time I have no cares.
Oct 25, 2014 7:36 PM

Apr 2011
No, not really.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all
Oct 25, 2014 7:44 PM
Dec 2012
kagura-pb said:
Tzu said:
Just doesn't have the same magic as the original for some reason
I feel like im watching a below average remake

Well, maybe that's because it's not supposed to be a 'remake' of the 90' anime in the first place, but a proper and faithful adaptation of the MANGA, which it's been so far, with small changes that must've been approved by Naoko anyway, as she is supervising the project. So yes, the manga is the ORIGINAL and NOT the first anime. SMC stays true and faithful to the manga and shows the story of Sailor Moon the way it was originally intended to be. Sure, it has its problems, mostly as far as the animation is concerned, but it doesn't really bother me, as everything will most probably be corrected for the blu-ray release (and it's not like the first anime always had beautiful and consistent animation either). The CGI transformations have really grown on me too (that's probably thanks to the Moon Pride video). As for the story, pacing and characters, everything's almost exactly the way it is in the manga, and I'm glad for that, as that's what I'd been expecting from the start.

So, to answer your question - NO, I have no intention of dropping it. On the contrary, I'm hoping that all the five manga arcs will be animated (it's as good as confirmed that SMC will cover the first two: Dark Kingdom and Black Moon, so there'll be three left to go), because I really want to see all the things, characters and plot points that the first anime has changed or cut out. The story gets better and better as it goes too, so there's a lot of things to look forward to.

And it's not like you can't rewatch the first anime whenever you want if you miss it so much. Just remember that SMC doesn't have anything to do with it; having Mitsuishi Kotono as the voice of Usagi and similar choreographies of the transformations is already enough of a compromise towards the fans of the old anime. For the rest let it stick to the manga as it should.

Finally, someone who actually wants it to stay faithful to the manga! I keep seeing so much negativity toward Crystal, and I just don't understand why. It's following the manga, the art and animation are better than what they used to be... why all the hate?
Nov 2, 2014 11:57 AM

Nov 2013
well the story and plot are good, everything else is awful, I would think they would do a better job with quality and animation
BISH IM IN NARNIA <3
Nov 2, 2014 3:04 PM

Jul 2010
The original anime is better in a way that make you have passion for the characters. Even though, this new anime is also really good in its own way!
Nov 3, 2014 9:36 AM

Nov 2012
So my predictions were right...

Aside junkie Usago I think story slowly start to step forward.
Nov 4, 2014 9:07 PM

Jul 2012
For people who haven't gotten into the more serious parts in this series (like the past few episodes), please keep going until they reveal the backstories and such! It's worth it, at least it was for me.
Nov 7, 2014 2:24 PM

Feb 2008
I am liking this loads better than the original actually. I wouldn't drop it because the story is actually pretty interesting. Especially since I never read the manga, it's nice to actually see a more on point story. It makes loads more sense.

It's more compelling and a lot less childish. I am glad they have done this remake.
I am become bunny, fluffing of worlds.
Nov 8, 2014 5:01 AM

Jan 2013
lol @ the people complaining just because it doesn't follow the original anime when it was clearly stated it'll be more based on the manga.

However I am disappointed in how they're handling this, mainly in terms of the cheap quality. At the beginning they were incredibly messy and inconsistent, and characters were very flat. Recent episodes keep improving somewhat so I do have hope. But I really feel Toei have let this remake down and made it nowhere near as good as it deserves to be.

Story-wise there's not much to complain, from what I've heard from manga fans it's essentially the same as the manga with some changes made by the creator herself. Nothing horrible nor groundbreaking. At the most I also feel it's lacking in charm sometimes. Episodes are becoming more interesting now that the plot is really moving forward.

I won't call it a masterpiece or better than the original (which may not have followed the manga completely but still was a very engaging series in its own write), but it's likable enough to keep watching and it's slowly getting there.
Nov 8, 2014 6:57 AM

Sep 2007
I'm just thoroughly annoyed that a new episode is every two weeks... which is the biggest reason I kinda want to drop/forget it for several months... cuz that's how long it'll probably take to reach a good pace of awesome
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Nov 8, 2014 10:36 AM

Feb 2011
nah, i like it, the animation is great (cg.. DD: i just dont like cg in any anime) and the plot is following the manga so, nothin to complain..
Nov 9, 2014 9:25 AM

Mar 2009
Yes I knew it woudn't be as good as the first anime because i kinda sensed that the marketing aspect was definitely rougher and more oriented than the first serie !
They sold us a show which was supposed to be for the old fans and what did they do ... . kept one voice actress and threw the other ones away ! The producer Kaminoki said "we wanted to keep the same DNA of the show" okay but Kotono is not the only seiyuu who gave life to the group cohesion !!

Even when I think about Toru Furuya who said that going back to the show would be a thrill and like going back to school with old good friends ... .
sounded very good !!
Since the reveal of the new cast and totally different production only by Toei members and seiyuu from Aoni production I knew it was gonna be cheap

Kunihara sensei and Sato Jun'ichi were so much better without them it was dead before it broke out

And so, the animation is poor ! For an anime beloved by tones of people around the world what we had is weak as fuck !

The male features look like a bad BL anime and you cannot hide behind the excuse of copying the manga style ! Coz the key animation pictures we had are misleading !! *shame*
Nov 10, 2014 2:54 AM
Oct 2014
yes i'm glad i'm not the only one feeling like this remake is bad..
i had such high expectations since i loved the original and i'm so disappointed :-(
might drop this
Nov 14, 2014 3:40 PM

Nov 2013
I gave up after episode one lol. I already know it's not my thing but since there's a reasonable gap between episodes I won't drop it :P
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 14, 2014 7:28 PM

Jun 2008
I like it. Sailor Moon was a big part of my childhood. If I had never seen the original, I don't know how I'd feel about this one, though. I'm liking it for what it is! I haven't read much of the manga but it's nice that it's more closely following it.
Nov 14, 2014 7:30 PM

Oct 2012
NO smc is better than the orginal because
1. usagi isn't a stupid bimbo and 2. actually follows the manga and doesn't add in the stupid filler
IMO
Nov 14, 2014 11:03 PM

Nov 2011
lolicles said:
1. usagi isn't a stupid bimbo and 2. actually follows the manga and doesn't add in the stupid filler
IMO

except its not really following the manga anymore...
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1239065
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 15, 2014 12:38 AM
Jan 2013
Everyone knows that for some reasons they can't do everything the same as in the manga it would be difficult due to copyright from the real author Naoko Takeuchi.

Only Jadeite didn't die but I think that's because they want to do something about the past lives of the Shitennou.

This was my opinion. No matter how many time they make a new version I will always love this series.
Nov 15, 2014 1:29 AM

Oct 2014
Risa_no_hime said:
Everyone knows that for some reasons they can't do everything the same as in the manga it would be difficult due to copyright from the real author Naoko Takeuchi.

Only Jadeite didn't die but I think that's because they want to do something about the past lives of the Shitennou.

This was my opinion. No matter how many time they make a new version I will always love this series.

WHAAAT? What copyrights? They have rights for doing anime based on manga. It was Takeuchi who offered them to do a proper manga adaptation, of course they can do everything the same as in the manga, they just don't want to.

Only Jadeite? Seriously? No one yet died from Shitennou.
Nov 15, 2014 2:24 AM
May 2007
Keep in mind this series is being aired for free without commercials on the internet so don't expect the animation to be like pixar or anything.
Nov 15, 2014 2:25 AM

Nov 2012
i'm not dropping it, but i don't think it will get any better at this point. bad designs, shit animation, and not to mention they changed lots of stuff from the manga even though they said it would be a faithful adaptation and shit.
as a huge fan of the SM manga & anime it's pretty saddening to watch this :<

ParaParaJMo said:
Keep in mind this series is being aired for free without commercials on the internet so don't expect the animation to be like pixar or anything.

that's no excuse. the SM franchise is huge, and the merch still sells like hotcakes.
other no-name manga/LN adaptation have more effort put into the animation than this, and crystal even has 2-3 weeks between each episode.
Nov 15, 2014 10:20 AM

Sep 2008
Nope!
Nov 15, 2014 3:31 PM

Feb 2011
NOPE, LOVING IT. Only sucks that it's biweekly. It's also incredibly fast-paced, but it's okay, considering the biweekly nonsense.
Nov 15, 2014 10:00 PM
Oct 2014
Nope.
Not sure if the show is getting better or if I'm just tolerating it more and more. Pretty much the only thing that still bothers me are the derpy mouths.
Nov 15, 2014 10:01 PM

Apr 2013
Nov 15, 2014 11:10 PM
Jul 2012
DreamingBeats said:
lolicles said:
IMO

except its not really following the manga anymore...
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1239065

Uh, it pretty much is following the manga. As in literally each episode is a chapter. True, several changes have been made, and I think episode ten confirms that Naoko's original wishes about the Shittenou (that weren't able to be included in the original manga) have been realized. So yeah, it does a much better job following the manga than the original did. I mean, the original was a MotD with a rather loose long-term plot that it frequently ignored and didn't progress for episodes at a time. (I actually have a response on the thread you quoted, and it's an analysis from episode three. I think we can safely say that the content of that particular thread isn't nearly as relevant given that we have a larger collection of episodes to look at now.)

However I'd like to add that I disagree with the original statement that SMC is "better" than the original. They are both artifacts of their time. I love the original because of what it was at the time. I still enjoy it because of sentimentality and it's a very good show in its own right. But SMC is seriously lacking in production value and has repeatedly failed to live up to expectations, leaving lots of people frustrated and venting (like on the quoted thread. Venting and whining.).

Risa_no_hime said:

This statement literally makes no sense. In order for them to even use the "Sailor Moon" name, characters, world, source material, EVERYTHING -- they'd have to have a contract in place that the original creator (Naoko Takeuchi) signed that says "you are allowed to do this." Otherwise just using the name "Sailor Moon" would be a violation of copyright/intellectual property. (Okay, not 100% on that since I'm not up to date on my Japanese copyright law. But this is generally how copyright works.)

So what happened with the original show is that the author signed the paper and said "yes, you may use my characters and world and make them into a TV show!" But there was no clause that required that she be allowed any input. (Generally speaking, this is true for any adaptation. I recently went to a book signing and the authors basically said that you sign a contract that says only the company you're signing over to has the exclusive rights to adapt your property IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE and that authors get little to no say in the adaptation process.) The show didn't go exactly as NT had envisioned, and was not a fully faithful adaptation.

Now, for the new show, Takeuchi was taken on board and allowed to have a much stronger guiding hand in the development. It was repeatedly stated that the show would not be a remake of the original anime, but rather a tighter adaptation of the manga. And frankly, it has been. Moreover, NT has apparently gotten her wish for seeing her headcanon made into canon with the altered subplot involving the Shitennou.
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
Jan 6, 2015 2:15 PM
Oct 2014
I'm watching this just for laugh at the abysmal quality, lol
Jan 8, 2015 2:23 PM
Apr 2012
I really liked it so I am not giving up.

Maybe because i'm not a person who let nostalgic feelings flow over reason. It's true its not a great animation, but since when the old release had a great animation in first place? If you think it had, maybe you should watch it again. If you watch it and still think it had, probably nostalgia blinded you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2, 2015

41 by Eziprez »»
Feb 24, 7:25 PM

» Am I the only one who finds Sailor Moon more "traditionally girly" than Tokyo Mew Mew?

removed-user - Jan 18

1 by a0t3a »»
Jan 19, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2015

40 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 2, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2015

37 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

32 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.