Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you think that Madoka Magica characters are relatable?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 22, 2014 11:30 PM

Jan 2014
I can relate to Madoka's dad. I know people who are in reversed relationships like that.

He's probably pretty smart and educated but his degree is 'worthless' in the business world, while Junko has the smart business connections and what not so makes the real money.
Feb 3, 2015 6:18 AM

Feb 2013
I relate to Homura because my life sometimes sucks.

Jul 11, 2015 3:36 PM

Jun 2015
No not really. They all just felt one-note. Kyouko showed potential but I was disappointed by her resolution.
Jul 15, 2016 3:39 PM

Mar 2013
Yes, I relate to Homura and Kyouko somehow.
Maksim-Jul 15, 2016 3:47 PM
Jul 17, 2016 11:21 PM

Jul 2015
I think in a general sense they're very easy to relate to actually.

Almost everyone has a wish they'd be willing to risk a lot for, and these girls are no exception. Yes maybe some of their wishes were misguided, but they also were not given all the information to know if accepting was actually going to be worth it or not, except for Madoka in the case of the main timeline. So their actions may seem premature and not well thought out, but when there's something you want bad enough in this world, there's no way of knowing how far you'd be willing to go for it if suddenly the opportunity for it to come true presented itself.
Jul 21, 2016 7:35 AM

Jul 2016
No they are all bitches and Madoka is one of the worst MC's ever. Kyubey was the only relatable one, wish he succeeded.
Sep 9, 2016 3:16 PM

Jan 2016
AssumingControl said:
No they are all bitches and Madoka is one of the worst MC's ever. Kyubey was the only relatable one, wish he succeeded.

Cant argue for shit right?
Oct 18, 2016 2:54 PM
Jul 2016
I think they all have very convincing motives and how they evolve seems very natural.

It's very easy to relate to Homura from beginning to end. The choices she makes are hard to defend but it makes sense that she takes them and I can relate to wanting to take destiny into your own hands instead of leaving life up to chance and wanting to surpass your own limitations. A lot of people say she's too twisted and cruel but I actually think she is almost always acting out of kindness and just has a hard time understanding why other people want to hurt themselves when she has the power to protect them.

Mami is also a very complex character. She's pretty fucked up and it makes a lot of sense that she has an obsession with creating perfectly structured, safe fantasy worlds to hide in and why she becomes extremely violent when someone disrupts them.

Madoka has the kind of mentality that is most like mine. She's extremely idealistic and believes there has to be a way to solve every situation where everyone ends up happy. The show proves she is wrong and it doesn't it this off convincingly.

Sayaka is Sayaka. Poor Sayaka.

Kyuubey is a fedora wearing asshole and has to be stopped. I've met a few Kyuubeys in my life and I'm glad I killed them all. He is very #Logical and #Enlightened.
Oct 18, 2016 3:24 PM

Apr 2015
Depends on who you ask and what you define as relatable.

Personally, yes. I'm using the definition of relatable as "Understanding and agreeing with the decisions a character made at a certain point in time, using only the knowledge they had at that time, on multiple occasions." With this in mind, I'd say that several characters appear relatable.

Homura: Devotion. While granted that I've not been put in the same situation, I doubt anyone here has, but the base concepts of her choices are identifiable. Mainly excessive loyalty and devotion, to the point of cutting out everything else in my life. IN addition, emotionless desperation, where an object/person/ideal is the only thing I've found worth chasing after, even if it is the item that is indirectly causing you so much pain.

Mami: Desire for friendship and the 'Oh God, what have I done' realization. Unsure about any further relatability, as she had the least screentime of the main 5.

Sayaka: Devotion to a right or wrong morality scale, with an unwillingness to even remotely bend it even for the sake of survival. Excessive self-reflection and doubt, which has led to depression and a lashing out at others.

Granted, I wouldn't expect the five to be relatable to everyone. The cast is FAR from being an accurate example of every personality type in existence. The very concept of relatability, especially to be used for judging (a) character(s), is inherently flawed and extremely subjective.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Nov 8, 2019 5:45 AM
Aug 2018
tsudecimo said:
She is actually not selfless, very far from it, as the movie made quite clear, and I never really read many people call her a selfless heroine even before the movie. She is a tragic heroine though.

I think that her not caring for anybody that isn't Madoka is clearly established, but there were a few scenes where she showed some little bit of care, when she tried to save Mami.

Mami Tomoe has tied up Homura Akemi and killed Kyoko Sakura, if she does not kill Mami, Mami will definitely kill Homura for sure. If Madoka Kaname is not selfless, please tell me why in timeline 3 of episode 10 she uses a grief seed to purify Homura Akemi's soul gem. The answer is: Madoka is truly the one who knows Homura can reset time. Also in episode 6 why she tells her best friend Sayaka Miki to convince Kyoko Sakura. What's more, in episode 11 she willing to go to Homura's apartment she want to help her to defeat Walpurgisnacht. Later in the same episode she willing to go to the storm to save Homura Akemi and prevent the latter one transforms to a witch. If she becomes a magical girl with selfish reasons, she will ended up the same fate just like Sayaka.
3ASV226Dec 30, 2021 6:16 AM
Nov 14, 2019 5:37 AM
Dec 2018
I guess you can't fully relate to any character, but depending on the quality of life you've lived, each character and their actions are relatable somewhat:
1. Mami has lived a lonely life fighting the witches alone, so I can relate when she gets emotional when talking to Madoka and loses her head.
2. Sayaka wants to save the boy she loved and makes the wish to save him, young love is like that.
3. Homura has been bed-ridden for sometime and finds Madoka as friend who's always helping her (also saved her life). If I had one precious friend who died in front of me, my wish would be to be reunited with them. I'd also probably fulfill the promise I made to them, knowing I alone have the power to do so.
4. Kyoko doesn't care about anyone, and I can relate to her because I too care very less about people around me. That's all about her, until she realizes her mistakes. But I have yet to realize my mistakes.
5. Madoka, sometimes compared to Shinji, is not a bit like him. Shinji is more a realistic character, and a kid and behaves like a kid. He's scared even with enough tech support and is terrified. He fears of death, and that sums up Shinji.
Madoka is not like that. When she had power, she fought alongside Mami, and when she died, she without a thought fought Walpurgis. If there was someone who was actually scared, it was Homura, and she suggested Madoka she don't have to fight it. But Madoka, who was not special in anything particularly, had found a purpose worth dying for and she died, without hesitation. After that, Homura made saving Madoka her purpose too. Why Madoka cries? Because she saw her senpai die in front of her, unable to do anything. She cries because she sees Sayaka in pain, and it hurts when Sayaka says horrible things to her. Madoka has tried making the wish when the time called for it, but was stopped by Homura everytime. I won't say she's the most relatable character, but she's someone you can look up to.
Jun 7, 2022 3:45 AM
Aug 2018
I'm not sure whether any anime fans may disagree with me or not.

Personally, I think the characters in Madoka Magica Franchise are relatable. Let's talk about the show first. The original series is broadcast in 7th January 2011 to 21st April 2011 (originally the final episode is braodcast in 25 March 2011). The year is also the year Japan has faced with the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.

Madoka Kaname is resembled to a child or person who faced the sudden death of a person right in front of her eyes. In Madoka's case, she faced the death of 3 people in timeline 3 of episode 10 (First is Sayaka Miki. Next, Kyoko Sakura and Mami Tomoe last) and the story's main timeline (Timeline 5) (First is Mami Tomoe in episode 3. Next is Sayaka Miki in episode 8, Kyoko Sakura near the end of episode 9). Her personalities make me remind about Nagisa Furukawa (except Nagisa is sickly, mutters foods' names and wife) in Clannad Franchise. Both of the girls cry because of helplessness and guilt. But Madoka has let out her emotions to overcome the trauma.

Note: The Timeline starts from 16 March (Wednesday) to 1 May (Sunday). A total of 46 days
The Timelines is as follows:
https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Timeline

Homura Akemi is resemble to a normal person's behavior who suddenly faced the death of their loved ones and makes me remind Makoto Konno (except she is not hospitalized because of her heart disease) from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Sayaka Miki resembles to a person who heals her crush's hand (Kyosuke Kamijo) and later his lower part of his body, faced with her crush steal by her rival (Hitomi Shizuki). Kyoko Sakura makes me remind about Yuri Nakamura in Angel Beats. Because Yuri has also faced the death of 3 people. In Yuri case, the death of 3 people are her siblings in 30 minutes (10 minutes per person). In Kyoko's case, she lost 3 people (Both of her parents and her younger sister). Mami Tomoe resembles to a mother who takes care of Madoka Kaname, Sayaka Miki and Nagisa Momoe.

Now I understand why Madoka is crying so hard in Mami's apartment in episode 4. It just like a child who faced the death of her beloved mother. Madoka also cries because her best friend (Sayaka Miki) died (turn into empty shell in episode 6 and truly died in episode 9). I also understand Homura makes her wish to Kyubey to save Madoka because Madoka's kindness. Mami's make her wish to save herself from death from a car crash. Kyoko makes her wish to Kyubey to make the people to listen to his Dad's preach. But Kyoko and Sayaka both regret about their wish. Homura almost lose hope after failing to defeat the Walpurgisnacht. Madoka and Mami does not regret their wishes. Madoka's character development is resembles to a 'student' role. Mami, Sayaka, Kyoko, Homura and Kyubey resembles to a 'teacher' role. Madoka's wish in main timeline is erasing all the witches. Because the person or people who suffers witch's kiss will commit suicide or even attack people (As hinted in episode 4 of Madoka Magica - original series) with no reasons.

Kyubey resembles to a dishonest merchant or pharmacist who invite teenage girls or patience who going to clinic to cure their disease welcome to service of the incubators but Kyubey does not tell the girls they will become witches. It's just like a pharmacist who failed to tell when (For example: How long between the 1st time and 2nd time to take of medicine?) to take of pills or medicines. Magical girls under Kyubey's system resemble to the new products people and companies has just bought. Witches resembles to the old or obsolete products people and companies are about to dispose.

But which characters in Madoka Magica are most relatable to me. Personally I think is Madoka Kaname, Sayaka Miki and Kyoko Sakura. One of the reasons I relate to Madoka because she is kind, friendly, and cares about her friends and put others at first [As hinted in episode 1 (for Kyubey), 3 (for Junko Kaname and Sayaka), 4 (For Hitomi), 5 (for Homura), 7 (for Sayaka), 8 (for Sayaka), 9 (for Kyoko), Timeline 3 and 4 in episode 10 (for Homura), 11 (for Homura and Kaname's family), Rebellion movie (for Homura)]. The 2nd reasons I relate to Madoka because I am so indecisive to make decisions. The 3rd reasons is I also spend almost the entire day crying in my 2nd secondary school because I got a terrible result (1 out of 20 marks) in a History quiz when I studying in Form 4. But I snap out of my depression for over 3 months because I can continue to attend History Lessons without doing History homework. In Form 5, I dropped History subject and get 8 points in HKCEE to proceed to Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) (Kwun Tong Campus) to continue my studying. The 4th reason I can relate to Madoka because I've seen anime girls who lost someone important right in front of their eyes. The 2 girls are Juri Katou in Digimon Tamers who suffer the death of her real mother when she is about 5 years old. In episode 34 of Digimon Tamers, she suffers the death of Leomon because Beelzemon wants to be strong and murders Leomon. The 2nd girl is Ayu Tsukimiya from Kanon (2002 and 2006 version). In episode 19 of Kanon 2006, Ayu asks Yuichi Aizawa 'Have you ever lost an important person right in front of you?' Ayu says 'I... have. I couldn't do anything. I was forced to face the fact that I was a powerless child. All I could do was call my important person's my mother's name until my voice died. I don't want to experience that again. Have you had that experience?' Yuichi says 'I ~ Ayu, is... is Shiori...'

I also relate to Sayaka because I can be stubborn at times. I relate to Kyoko because I hate wasting food. Madoka's mother Junko Kaname relates to Nayuki Minase's mother Akiko Minase in Kanon Franchise, Misuzu Kamio's foster mother Haruko Kamio in Air (TV) and Nagisa Furukawa's mother Sanae Furukawa in Clannad Franchise. Except Akiko has special jam. Haruko teaches Misuzu not to say 'Gao' while hitting Misuzu's head silghtly. Sanae cries when running away from her (Furukawa) bakery while Tomoya Okazaki comments about her bread.
3ASV226Jun 13, 2022 3:32 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.