Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 5, 2014 11:29 PM
Jan 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I enjoyed the movie.

That beginning though? LOL How many genres did they role into that movie?
Would be interesting to see that made into an actual movie.

It seems that Idolm@ster has leveled up to level 2 fanservice? LOL

Now the movie heavily focused on Haruka and Kana's character, but that's fine since I never expected any real expansion on the others' characters. I expected the Producer's departure to be more of a problematic factor, but I guess not.

I wouldn't call the drama in the movie "tasteless." Perhaps "overly dramatic" would be the correct phrase. It was one of those where I couldn't shed a tear with the characters. I mean, yes, what possibly can a idol anime cover besides the whole "personal-development" thing? But I wish they would have stayed further from the idol anime cliche. I really felt like they used the same story from a previous arc and switched around the characters roles.

Overall though, I did enjoy it. Characters as quirky as ever. And that last live MV was animated spectacularly.

Oct 6, 2014 9:51 AM

Oct 2010
Was pretty pumped from the opening scene, but ended up being rather mediocre.

Not enough Miki in this movie as it focused primarily on Haruka and the wondrous ways that she can one-sidedly pander to an extra character while giving the rest of the cast the middle finger. Problem is, that I literally have an imaginary list of all the fucks I don't give about the new characters. The only one I remotely liked was Shiho, and they made her apologize to Haruna even though she was spot on with her points. Bringing personal feelings into a professional life is unprofessional and realistically spells a recipe for disaster. It just so happened to have worked out because this is anime and apparently you can go from fatass to model within a week in anime. *Slow clapping*

Overall about a 6/10 in my book. The finale bumped it up half a point just enough to round up to 7. It would be 1-2 points higher if Miki was the lead without the suffocating piles of sentimentality.

Expected grand concerts and many catchy new songs. Got pretentious plot riddled with melodrama.
Much disappoint.
Oct 7, 2014 12:27 AM

Mar 2008
HowTragic said:

Not enough Miki in this movie as it focused primarily on Haruka and the wondrous ways that she can one-sidedly pander to an extra character while giving the rest of the cast the middle finger. Problem is, that I literally have an imaginary list of all the fucks I don't give about the new characters. The only one I remotely liked was Shiho, and they made her apologize to Haruna even though she was spot on with her points. Bringing personal feelings into a professional life is unprofessional and realistically spells a recipe for disaster. It just so happened to have worked out because this is anime and apparently you can go from fatass to model within a week in anime. *Slow clapping*

Overall about a 6/10 in my book. The finale bumped it up half a point just enough to round up to 7. It would be 1-2 points higher if Miki was the lead without the suffocating piles of sentimentality.

Expected grand concerts and many catchy new songs. Got pretentious plot riddled with melodrama.
Much disappoint.
I think you're confused about the franchise, because your expectations are bizarre. It sounds like you pretty much missed out on (or disagreed with) every point that the movie was trying to get across. I have no idea why you're watching idolm@ster, and it sounds like you should steer clear of it based on your expectations from it and the way you think in general. I mean, you obviously missed out on why Haruka was chosen to be the leader and not Miki (who acknowledges Haruka as being a more suitable leader). The movie directly addressed this issue with the entire Shiho-Haruka conflict, and it was resolved with the conclusion that it's fine to have different ways of thinking about it (clearly you prefer Shiho's way of thinking), but ultimately Haruka is more suited for making the choices as the leader because of her caring nature and her strong desire to understand others and keep the unit together. The entire movie revolved around this concept, with other points being made along the way, like the insecurities that amateurs face early on in their careers but the importance of following what you truly want regardless, and how the pros were once in their same shoes. It's fine to not look for these sort of traits in a film, but then it comes back to, "what were you expecting from idolm@ster?" TL;DR: im@s is not for you.
Oct 7, 2014 9:27 AM

Oct 2010
Fui said:
HowTragic said:

Much disappoint.
I think you're confused about the franchise, because your expectations are bizarre. It sounds like you pretty much missed out on (or disagreed with) every point that the movie was trying to get across. I have no idea why you're watching idolm@ster, and it sounds like you should steer clear of it based on your expectations from it and the way you think in general. I mean, you obviously missed out on why Haruka was chosen to be the leader and not Miki (who acknowledges Haruka as being a more suitable leader). The movie directly addressed this issue with the entire Shiho-Haruka conflict, and it was resolved with the conclusion that it's fine to have different ways of thinking about it (clearly you prefer Shiho's way of thinking), but ultimately Haruka is more suited for making the choices as the leader because of her caring nature and her strong desire to understand others and keep the unit together. The entire movie revolved around this concept, with other points being made along the way, like the insecurities that amateurs face early on in their careers but the importance of following what you truly want regardless, and how the pros were once in their same shoes. It's fine to not look for these sort of traits in a film, but then it comes back to, "what were you expecting from idolm@ster?" TL;DR: im@s is not for you.

Your 1st grade teacher called. She wanted you to learn the definition of "opinion".

You're confusing your personal opinion as the "correct" way to watch an anime. I watch for the music, and like the series for the sincerity of efforts they put into getting to where they are today. I like to see the hard work and dedication that brings people who start from rock-bottom performing in the streets to stardom because it's inspiring, as opposed to idol groups that simply "win" without any indication of effort in a sudden, illogical outcome.

You obviously idealized why Haruka was chosen as the leader. She's the main character of the series. Go figure. And for the record, Miki's interjection could hardly be taken as contextual support, as it was more of a resigned effort to calm personal discontent, and a reflexive consolation to a friend. If you can't even read through that level of social construct, you hardly have the credibility to criticize me for the way I watch im@s. Iori noted towards the end that while Haruka is a leader to them, she would completely collapse in a professional setting. Haruka's strengths that you've noted are great for keeping an amateur unit together. Unfortunately, 765 Pro are professional idols at this point. This is not situational like the previous point because it is a valid addition in a strictly open-discussion setting when the girls were discussing the future of their concert. Not to mention, most of the cast also felt this way, as there isn't another reason why they just watched and let a simple backstage dancer talk smack to the leader of the idol group. Iori, considered the more confrontational character of the cast, finally stepped in to tell her she said too much. Linguistically speaking, "言いすぎ" does not imply that what was said was wrong, just that it was inappropriate to say it directly.

But that's not even the point of personal distaste. I don't even mind if this was the "point that the movie was trying to get across". What mattered was the execution in doing so. While I agree that the major point of contention is Haruka's dilemma and the movie built-up tension between the cast appropriate for this cause, their sub-par deliverance of the underlying reason for this dilemma made all the effort put into it a joke. The original im@s TV series introduced similar developments in Chihaya's arc, but Chihaya's personal trauma held a significantly higher level of spiritual and emotional appeal. In heavy contrast, after all that disagreement and argument for what? A girl who can't control her own eating and turned fat? It made the entire plot difficult to take seriously. I don't take it seriously. It's definitely not what I expected from one of my favorite idol series out there known for the sincerity of its story to have a girl quit because fatocalpyse, then magically get skinnier/better after a sentimental reunion right before the concert despite the entire cast chanting that they were out of time 40% of the movie. That shit's almost Love Live! tier bullshit. I'm sure if they were trying to get the point across that people have different ways of thinking (ironically applicable to this discussion) or that amateurs face troubles along the way, they could have structured and chosen a more appropriate climatic/post-climatic conclusion.

TL;DR: Leave your basement once in a while. There's people out there who have different ways of thinking than you, and they aren't wrong. Blasphemy, I know.

I'll be the judge of what anime is for me.
Oct 7, 2014 1:56 PM

Jul 2014
not really go0d
3/10
abgOct 7, 2014 2:16 PM
Oct 7, 2014 2:08 PM

Mar 2008
HowTragic said:
Fui said:

Your 1st grade teacher called. She wanted you to learn the definition of "opinion".

You're confusing your personal opinion as the "correct" way to watch an anime. I watch for the music, and like the series for the sincerity of efforts they put into getting to where they are today. I like to see the hard work and dedication that brings people who start from rock-bottom performing in the streets to stardom because it's inspiring, as opposed to idol groups that simply "win" without any indication of effort in a sudden, illogical outcome.

You obviously idealized why Haruka was chosen as the leader. She's the main character of the series. Go figure. And for the record, Miki's interjection could hardly be taken as contextual support, as it was more of a resigned effort to calm personal discontent, and a reflexive consolation to a friend. If you can't even read through that level of social construct, you hardly have the credibility to criticize me for the way I watch im@s. Iori noted towards the end that while Haruka is a leader to them, she would completely collapse in a professional setting. Haruka's strengths that you've noted are great for keeping an amateur unit together. Unfortunately, 765 Pro are professional idols at this point. This is not situational like the previous point because it is a valid addition in a strictly open-discussion setting when the girls were discussing the future of their concert. Not to mention, most of the cast also felt this way, as there isn't another reason why they just watched and let a simple backstage dancer talk smack to the leader of the idol group. Iori, considered the more confrontational character of the cast, finally stepped in to tell her she said too much. Linguistically speaking, "言いすぎ" does not imply that what was said was wrong, just that it was inappropriate to say it directly.

But that's not even the point of personal distaste. I don't even mind if this was the "point that the movie was trying to get across". What mattered was the execution in doing so. While I agree that the major point of contention is Haruka's dilemma and the movie built-up tension between the cast appropriate for this cause, their sub-par deliverance of the underlying reason for this dilemma made all the effort put into it a joke. The original im@s TV series introduced similar developments in Chihaya's arc, but Chihaya's personal trauma held a significantly higher level of spiritual and emotional appeal. In heavy contrast, after all that disagreement and argument for what? A girl who can't control her own eating and turned fat? It made the entire plot difficult to take seriously. I don't take it seriously. It's definitely not what I expected from one of my favorite idol series out there known for the sincerity of its story to have a girl quit because fatocalpyse, then magically get skinnier/better after a sentimental reunion right before the concert despite the entire cast chanting that they were out of time 40% of the movie. That shit's almost Love Live! tier bullshit. I'm sure if they were trying to get the point across that people have different ways of thinking (ironically applicable to this discussion) or that amateurs face troubles along the way, they could have structured and chosen a more appropriate climatic/post-climatic conclusion.

TL;DR: Leave your basement once in a while. There's people out there who have different ways of thinking than you, and they aren't wrong. Blasphemy, I know.

I made no criticism of your personal take on how the situation should have been handled, and stated that the movie explicitly expressed this viewpoint, as Haruka said to Shiho, "We have different opinions, and that's fine." I said your expectations from the franchise are off base, and you clearly weren't a good judge that this anime would be for you, because this movie obviously left you frustrated with the way they resolved the situation. The conclusions made from the movie closely follow the character personalities and general stance that the franchise takes. You criticize something like someone losing some weight over a short period of time, but praise Chihaya's scenario? In im@s2 she developed a disease that would ruin any chances of her singing career, but it was miraculously cured overnight after a conversation she had with her spiritual brother as a bird. Or in the TV series, after weeks of depression and the inability to sing, at the last minute on the stage of her performance she saw a ghost of her brother in front of her, and along with the help of nakama power at that moment she miraculously went from not being able to produce a single note to singing something perfectly and better than she's ever sung before. You really want to tell me those are more believable than exercising 24/7 and dieting for a week or whatever and losing some weight, and that anyone should expect them to handle this show as a grimdark edgy "realistic" show rather than for the purpose of giving people hope? No, you're definitely mistaken in what you're expecting from this series.

Also, you're just projecting what you think Miki is thinking. That's what you think she's thinking. And for what reason? Why do you have the right to assume she didn't acknowledge the fact that Haruka would probably make a better leader? The show gives many reasons why Miki is not suitable for a leader, and she probably acknowledges those flaws. She's lazy as hell despite being extremely talented and doesn't care about others nearly as much as Haruka does, as Haruka is repeatedly the person who tries to reach out to people with problems (like how she reached out to Chihaya in the TV series). Regardless of how "realistic" the decision is, it's the expected conclusion based on the natural progression of the series.

As a final note, the fatness wasn't even close to the central conflict. If you think the fatness had any relevance to the central conflict or messages they were trying to convey, then you took it wrong. The central issue was her having a passion for being an idol but having insecurities and problems in the early phases, leading her to quit despite that not being her true desire. It's tying to tell people not to make that mistake, but I shouldn't have to spell this out since it should be obvious.
Oct 7, 2014 11:22 PM

Nov 2011
Well based on recent reports, the movie earned about 765 Million Yen in total (roughly 7.08 million dollars)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/10/07-1/the-idolmster-movie-earns-765-million-yen-in-total
Oct 9, 2014 12:35 PM

Oct 2010
Fui said:
HowTragic said:

I made no criticism of your personal take on how the situation should have been handled, and stated that the movie explicitly expressed this viewpoint, as Haruka said to Shiho, "We have different opinions, and that's fine." I said your expectations from the franchise are off base, and you clearly weren't a good judge that this anime would be for you, because this movie obviously left you frustrated with the way they resolved the situation. The conclusions made from the movie closely follow the character personalities and general stance that the franchise takes. You criticize something like someone losing some weight over a short period of time, but praise Chihaya's scenario? In im@s2 she developed a disease that would ruin any chances of her singing career, but it was miraculously cured overnight after a conversation she had with her spiritual brother as a bird. Or in the TV series, after weeks of depression and the inability to sing, at the last minute on the stage of her performance she saw a ghost of her brother in front of her, and along with the help of nakama power at that moment she miraculously went from not being able to produce a single note to singing something perfectly and better than she's ever sung before. You really want to tell me those are more believable than exercising 24/7 and dieting for a week or whatever and losing some weight, and that anyone should expect them to handle this show as a grimdark edgy "realistic" show rather than for the purpose of giving people hope? No, you're definitely mistaken in what you're expecting from this series.

Also, you're just projecting what you think Miki is thinking. That's what you think she's thinking. And for what reason? Why do you have the right to assume she didn't acknowledge the fact that Haruka would probably make a better leader? The show gives many reasons why Miki is not suitable for a leader, and she probably acknowledges those flaws. She's lazy as hell despite being extremely talented and doesn't care about others nearly as much as Haruka does, as Haruka is repeatedly the person who tries to reach out to people with problems (like how she reached out to Chihaya in the TV series). Regardless of how "realistic" the decision is, it's the expected conclusion based on the natural progression of the series.

As a final note, the fatness wasn't even close to the central conflict. If you think the fatness had any relevance to the central conflict or messages they were trying to convey, then you took it wrong. The central issue was her having a passion for being an idol but having insecurities and problems in the early phases, leading her to quit despite that not being her true desire. It's tying to tell people not to make that mistake, but I shouldn't have to spell this out since it should be obvious.

So according to you, watching a music/idol series primarily for, and expectant of the music/performance portion is a "bizarre" and "off-base" expectation. Does that mean you also marvel on a daily basis at how bizarre the people around you are when they want to eat because they're hungry or sleep when they're tired? Some people eat because they love the taste of food, or sleep because they love sleeping. It's not in anyone's place to judge how appropriate that motive is. Please note that not everyone watches im@s to get their daily dose of slice-of-shit, and that does not mean they are a poor judge of what is suitable for their tastes.

I criticized fatocalypse not only because of the abrupt deus ex they pulled at the end when this "lack of time" element was so central to the challenges persisting the cast, but also because of how trivial it was. At the very least in both of Chihaya's cases, she had a significant spiritual or emotional challenge that could realistically be considered as a special type of circumstance that one had no control over. In contrast, Kana(?; Naka? what was her name?) exhibited a disgusting lack of responsibility and self-control in an entirely controllable situation. You don't make someone fat as a dramatic climax to a serious story, you do it as a joke. And it is a joke. If that's too hard to understand, Disease/Trauma/Family conflict >> Getting fat due to lack of self-control. How did we know they were "exercising 24/7 and dieting for a week or whatever?" Did the movie even bother showing the process that they went through to successfully reach the concert? No? Then that's just you interpreting and twisting the plot to satisfy your argument. If you think im@s is here for "the purpose of giving people hope", then I think you're the one who's "mistaken in what you're expecting from this series." God that's some shit-tiered hope-giving that you're praising.

I'm not even going to bother with this. The topic of who is the most suitable leader for 765 pro is strictly subjective, as there is no concrete proof in the movie that points towards any specific character as dominant to the rest. Argumentatively, Miki is the most suitable because anyone familiar with the im@s series knows that she is the most talented out of all the idols, both inherently and practically. One might also remember that Miki's arc addressed her initial "lazy as hell" attitude, and the game even has separate "覚醒美希" route to trivialize the concept of Miki's laziness holding her back. A leader, first and foremost, needs to be competent in the field and capable of making calm and logical judgments in times of crisis. If the leader's overwhelming concerns are "caring about others" and scrutinizing members to make sure they answer to the basic level of responsibility, then that not an idol group that'd get even the crumbs of the industry. If they have the time to waste on these types of amateur problems under Haruka's leadership, then Haruka's not only unsuitable to be leader, but she'd also be the weight that drags the group down.

Kana getting fat was the whole foundation of the central conflict, because without it, there is no central conflict. That seems like it's "relevant" enough to me. It's like having a noble goal of helping people (1), and when asked what the ultimate outcome of this goal was, you answer "I gave 10 cents to a hobo" (2), followed by the reason "because my mom told me to" (3). Guess how serious people are going to take you? Haruka dismissed the opinions of other backstage dancers who, along with the rest of the idol group, worked even harder to prepare for the concert in favor of reaching out to one unresponsive extra who just so "coincidentally" happened to get along with her (1:"noble goal of helping people"). Without taking into account the severity of all this, she trivialized their efforts due to an inclination based on a disgustingly blatant favoritism (2:"because my mom told me to"). But even going beyond this, what was the ultimate result? After all that suspense building, it comes to light with a laughable result of a girl who, due to a purely personal incompetence, was the cause for this central conflict. Haruka put everyone's work and efforts in risk so she could ultimately console a fatso who reaped what she sowed (3:"I gave 10 cents to a hobo"). That was the ultimate result irrespective of what they or you expected it to be. It's trying to tell people to not make that mistake? Well then, since this movie went so out of its way to tell me this, I guess won't be an incompetent that grows fat from a lack of self control, and trouble other people because I don't answer to my obligations and all I can do is subsequently mop in bed.

After all this analysis, it seems to me that I might have given this movie an even higher score than it deserves. I certainly can't believe I risked failing my parasitology exam to sneak a watch before subs and full mainstream.
Oct 9, 2014 12:46 PM
Mar 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! :) Now if only The Idolm@ster anime would get licensed in the U.S. I would be soooo happy!!
Oct 9, 2014 8:51 PM

Jun 2009
As a Haruka fan, this movie pleased me considerably.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Oct 9, 2014 10:56 PM
Mar 2013
I liked the 1st half of the movie, cute girls doing cute things yay =D. But the central conflict, yea I didn't find it very intriguing. I wish it was more about Miki's and Chihaya's next step being Hollywood and whatever overseas st00f Chihaya's doing.
Oct 10, 2014 1:41 AM
Aug 2013
Really enjoyed it. Loved how they made Haruka the lead since she was the first Idol to appear on screen in the anime. She deserved to be a leader because of her caring personality and I felt as if she was trying the hardest out of anyone. Miki lacked screen time but it's fine because she played already had her spotlight in the anime. Even though it is an idol anime I still feel as it lacked an interesting plot, it was still nice and nostalgic watching
Oct 10, 2014 2:41 AM
Oct 2007
HowTragic said:
Fui said:

So according to you, watching a music/idol series primarily for, and expectant of the music/performance portion is a "bizarre" and "off-base" expectation. Does that mean you also marvel on a daily basis at how bizarre the people around you are when they want to eat because they're hungry or sleep when they're tired? Some people eat because they love the taste of food, or sleep because they love sleeping. It's not in anyone's place to judge how appropriate that motive is. Please note that not everyone watches im@s to get their daily dose of slice-of-shit, and that does not mean they are a poor judge of what is suitable for their tastes.

I criticized fatocalypse not only because of the abrupt deus ex they pulled at the end when this "lack of time" element was so central to the challenges persisting the cast, but also because of how trivial it was. At the very least in both of Chihaya's cases, she had a significant spiritual or emotional challenge that could realistically be considered as a special type of circumstance that one had no control over. In contrast, Kana(?; Naka? what was her name?) exhibited a disgusting lack of responsibility and self-control in an entirely controllable situation. You don't make someone fat as a dramatic climax to a serious story, you do it as a joke. And it is a joke. If that's too hard to understand, Disease/Trauma/Family conflict >> Getting fat due to lack of self-control. How did we know they were "exercising 24/7 and dieting for a week or whatever?" Did the movie even bother showing the process that they went through to successfully reach the concert? No? Then that's just you interpreting and twisting the plot to satisfy your argument. If you think im@s is here for "the purpose of giving people hope", then I think you're the one who's "mistaken in what you're expecting from this series." God that's some shit-tiered hope-giving that you're praising.

I'm not even going to bother with this. The topic of who is the most suitable leader for 765 pro is strictly subjective, as there is no concrete proof in the movie that points towards any specific character as dominant to the rest. Argumentatively, Miki is the most suitable because anyone familiar with the im@s series knows that she is the most talented out of all the idols, both inherently and practically. One might also remember that Miki's arc addressed her initial "lazy as hell" attitude, and the game even has separate "覚醒美希" route to trivialize the concept of Miki's laziness holding her back. A leader, first and foremost, needs to be competent in the field and capable of making calm and logical judgments in times of crisis. If the leader's overwhelming concerns are "caring about others" and scrutinizing members to make sure they answer to the basic level of responsibility, then that not an idol group that'd get even the crumbs of the industry. If they have the time to waste on these types of amateur problems under Haruka's leadership, then Haruka's not only unsuitable to be leader, but she'd also be the weight that drags the group down.

Kana getting fat was the whole foundation of the central conflict, because without it, there is no central conflict. That seems like it's "relevant" enough to me. It's like having a noble goal of helping people (1), and when asked what the ultimate outcome of this goal was, you answer "I gave 10 cents to a hobo" (2), followed by the reason "because my mom told me to" (3). Guess how serious people are going to take you? Haruka dismissed the opinions of other backstage dancers who, along with the rest of the idol group, worked even harder to prepare for the concert in favor of reaching out to one unresponsive extra who just so "coincidentally" happened to get along with her (1:"noble goal of helping people"). Without taking into account the severity of all this, she trivialized their efforts due to an inclination based on a disgustingly blatant favoritism (2:"because my mom told me to"). But even going beyond this, what was the ultimate result? After all that suspense building, it comes to light with a laughable result of a girl who, due to a purely personal incompetence, was the cause for this central conflict. Haruka put everyone's work and efforts in risk so she could ultimately console a fatso who reaped what she sowed (3:"I gave 10 cents to a hobo"). That was the ultimate result irrespective of what they or you expected it to be. It's trying to tell people to not make that mistake? Well then, since this movie went so out of its way to tell me this, I guess won't be an incompetent that grows fat from a lack of self control, and trouble other people because I don't answer to my obligations and all I can do is subsequently mop in bed.

After all this analysis, it seems to me that I might have given this movie an even higher score than it deserves. I certainly can't believe I risked failing my parasitology exam to sneak a watch before subs and full mainstream.

Sorry, but Fui is basically correct on this. You can say it's your opinion, but at the end of the day your rant still seems to be based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the intended theme of the movie, and theme of the entire series as a whole.

This is evident if you look at the lyrics of practically any group song they've ever released since the beginning. Danketsu, The World Is All One, Issho, etc. Even their latest PS3 game is literally titled "One For All." Several plots in the anime revolve around the entire group banding together to solve somebody's problems, no matter how trivial, whether it was Yayoi fumbling her event in a sports competition, or Iori losing her doll, or Chihaya having a mental block, or Haruka getting depressed over their diverging work schedules. Saying that Haruka's fixation on Kana is a result of some brand of favoritism seems to ignore everything that has happened in the entire series up until now.

IDOLM@STER has always been about an impossible ideal of perfect unity as a group: that when everyone works together to support each other, they can accomplish anything. Yes, the concept is a naive fantasy, but that's precisely the point. The central conflict is not about Kana getting fat, the central conflict is that this ideal of unity is challenged as impractical when there's weaker members threatening their success as idols. In the end, Haruka finally decides that she doesn't care about practically - she'd rather not advance, than throw away this conviction, and THAT decision is the moment of conflict resolution. It's not about the weight gain and weight loss, or even Kana really - any of the weaker idols could have been her stand-in.

We can argue all day about whether that could have been executed better, but if your main complaint is that you wanted gritty dog-eat-dog depiction of show business where the weak are left behind and the strongest idol comes out on top after making hard decisions to cut other members of the team, you are looking at the wrong series because it's not what IDOLM@STER is about.
parandaOct 10, 2014 2:53 AM
Oct 10, 2014 5:47 AM

Dec 2013
10/10 for me
M@STER PEACE

Well, both opening and finale was just awesome.
The animation to me was just perfect, beautiful.
Ofcourse I would have liked more character developement and customization between the backup dancers(whatever you call them), especially the Minako(? I dun even remember her name wow) who I guess was good friends with Kana-chan? Well, its idolm@ster I didnt expect much.
But it just really fulfilled my criterias
Beautiful artwork
At least a solid plot development
Moe charas for me to drool over.
Yep, 10/10 for me.
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Oct 10, 2014 5:53 AM

Aug 2013
I enjoyed it. I gotta admit though, after all the im@s doujinshi I've read, I can't see the girls as pure and innocent anymore haha XD
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 10, 2014 1:59 PM

Jul 2010
That was really enjoyable!
The drama with the dancers/new idols! The scene on the phone T.T How Kana insisted she wanted to quit yet struggling with it. I really like how they showed Haruka crying through the window! The feels really hit at times.
Having difference yet coming together!
The live with M@sterpiece was pretty amazing! The animation was wonderful!
Producer leaving at the end :(
Always being one though ^^ the future being filled with possibilities...

The movie trailer at the beginning was such a teaser!
Oct 11, 2014 1:08 AM

Apr 2010
Spin off with the new girls please?
Oct 11, 2014 7:48 AM

Sep 2012
It's nice to see that 765pro again. Even Kana is so annoying i enjoy the show.

Oct 11, 2014 7:59 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
What a beautiful iDOLM@STER movie! ;////;

Haruka as their leader certainly carried their team with the inspiration to succeed at the live together with everyone. And I was very happy to see the backup dancers group show their best performance in front of thousands of audience. I definitely enjoyed this movie from start to finish! And I also love that movie trailer at the start because it was such a tease! Now if only we could watch that one too, lol.

I wish to see the dancers' group again! I think they can make it pretty far together as long as they do their best.

For me, this movie is a M@STERPIECE! :')
Oct 11, 2014 9:08 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Fui said:
HowTragic said:

Much disappoint.

Agree with Haruka.

She wouldn't have felt comfortable if she just went with Shiho's way of thinking. Shiho just wanted to forget her and move on. It's either you want to be an idol or not by Shiho's side. For Haruka she's always thinking of others and to me she did very good in resolving the conflict. She wouldn't feel focused and comfortable if she just moved along since Haruka didn't know what her motives were. Kana could have been hurt, assaulted, or had personal problems with her parents, but Haruka went the extra mile to face her personally. That's why I find Haruka a gread leader. She's persistent, caring for others, and when things get rough she never loses hope.

In this movie and pretty much 765Pro, survival of the fittest doesn't work here. These girls all support each other like a family. When one has trouble everyone pitches in to help. 765Pro has always been about unity. Perhaps in other idol shows the strong come out on top while the weak struggle to even hold a gig. To me the best part of the movie was when Haruka got the girls pumped up since Producer told them the news of leaving to America. Haruka really showed she's worthy of being a leader, and even a Producer if she chooses to go down that road after she's done being an idol.

OMG, Azusa x Chihaya at the start of the movie. Azusa puts her finger over Chihaya's lip and gets very close to her. "Shh, someone might here us"

First four minutes of the movie were insane. Going from a soft Sleeping Beauty movie to a action packed girls vs girls battle. Laser beams, red eyes, transformations.

Iori's expression when Producer walks in on them.
"Pervert, Pervert, Pervert" xD

Oct 11, 2014 10:58 AM

May 2011
I was waiting for someone to go "PERSONA!"
Oct 11, 2014 3:55 PM

Jun 2011
What an enjoyable movie, they had nice songs as well.

How could no one mention Otonashi's BL manga scene, that part was genius!?!

It was a very good movie, in the end 8/10
Oct 13, 2014 9:57 PM

Aug 2013
It was very fun time watching this movie and it's give me hype about Cinderella arc next year
Oct 14, 2014 8:59 PM

Jun 2009
I'm not a huuuge fan of franchise based anime movies but I liked this a lot. The first few minutes was epic XD, I'd watch THAT movie.

I like Haruka, it's difficult for me to imagine anyone else as leader, she's resilient for sure.

I understood where the girl (Shiho?) was coming from but it's difficult to mesh with a group and work together if you don't think of yourself as a part of that group. When she was going at it w/Harku (as idealistic as she was) i wanted Haruka to be all "deal with it or leave" but that wouldn't be like her especially since she put everything on pause for one comrade i couldn't see her alienating another.

...and Producer is soo cool now, like he got his stuff together lol. I'm so into seeing Ritsuko and Otonashi as idols though, wishful thinking o><o
Oct 16, 2014 3:20 PM

Nov 2010
It was definitely very idolm@ster like end. The main theme of idolm@ster has been and probably always been Danketsu (Unity). It would be really off if they just decided to abandon members and go against what makes 765 Pro different from other idol agencies (in the context of the idolm@ster world).

Though I really question how she managed to get that chubby in from binge eating on sweets in such little time... Well, anime logic indeed.
Oct 16, 2014 10:33 PM

Jun 2014
Honestly it was a really fun movie. If I absolutely had to pick at one thing it didn't do well, it was tossing in another cast of back-up dancer girls and focusing on only two of them. Then again, it was a movie. Producer coming back w/ more knowledge only helps 765 Pro. iDOLM@STER movie did not disappoint.
Oct 18, 2014 3:15 PM

Feb 2012
They spend an awful lot of time with the Kana scenario, but this was a pretty good feel movie regardless. Definitely nice to have this franchise around.
Oct 23, 2014 12:36 PM

Feb 2013
Just as the title says, it was brilliant.

Oct 25, 2014 12:51 PM
Feb 2013
Decent movie I'd say. Some cringeworthy scenes though. The live made it worth I guess.
xikarraOct 25, 2014 2:51 PM
Oct 27, 2014 12:35 PM

Sep 2011
It was an okay movie, but I really only enjoyed the concert part the most. The drama was typical and yeah. It was nice to see the producer come back in the ED scenes, but it doesn't feel like it he was gone that long? Lol. All the girls looked the same.

7/10.
TyrelOct 27, 2014 12:52 PM
Oct 27, 2014 1:08 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
the Drama was way too drawn out

actually the movie itself was too damn long because of it

still the same good old cast (and some new ones) and some decent songs, ending was nice

overall though pretty average

6/10
Oct 27, 2014 7:08 PM

Oct 2007
It had potential to be better than TV series. The first third or maybe even half was 10/10. But no, they had to focus on shitty Haruka clone and waste half of movie on her. Also, the final live sucked compared to concert from episode 13.
Oct 27, 2014 11:48 PM

Jan 2009
Honestly, even though it has its problems. As close to a perfect IM@S movie as we could have gotten.

I really didn't care for the new girls at all, sure they're cute and I do like them, but they didn't really add much in the end. It's more convenient than trying to create internal conflict I suppose. Also the song they used for the final live wasn't as upbeat as I'd have liked, but regardless.

Reason why I adored the IM@S anime was despite how predictable the plot lines could be, everyone at 765 had distinct personalities and just meshed together so well. Their chemistry is incredibly charming and irresistible, and every character has some depth and personality. Especially Haruka, I know people usually don't care for the leads in these types of shows, but Haruka's an exception. She's too nice a person ;o;...

It was 2 hours of seeing 765 PRO at their best: having fun and working hard towards their goals, and as a fan, that's more than enough for me. It could have been a bit cleaner, but it was still fun to watch!

I just hope we can see more of the main girls in the future T_T, I really don't care for other teams/girls...
Oct 28, 2014 1:14 AM

Jan 2011
While i was happy to see this back! dem new girls ruined this for me not to mentioned it focused a whole lot on haruka..and her clone

7 producer-sans/10
Oct 28, 2014 5:11 AM

Jun 2010
Way too much focus on Haruka, honestly aside from Haruka, only Miki, Chihaya, and a slightly lesser extent Iori had some lines here and there. Everyone else had practically no lines, they just talked every now and again because they're supposedly part of 765pro. Was so hyped I got severely disappointed, now just waiting for Ranko in Cinderella Girls.
Oct 28, 2014 10:49 AM

Aug 2008
M@STERPIECE/10

Absolutely changed my life.
Oct 28, 2014 6:01 PM

Feb 2012
I love the girls and it was great to see them again, but I feel they focused too much on that Kana girl. The drama was drawn out and I found myself looking at my other screen during much of it. I did not care about her at all.

Instead of adding silly backup dancers/filler characters, they could have just given us more commercials/skits that each group of girls do. They could have used that to show the girls promoting the concert. Seeing what they do while they're on the job is a huge part of what made the TV series fun. I mean, the first 5-10 minutes was fantastic! That trailer and talk show were great. Why didn't they just roll with that instead of adding forgettable characters?

Also, all that build up and they only did one song? Very disappointed there. If they didn't focus so much on the drama they could have added more songs. It's supposed to be an arena concert for crying out loud!

Bit disappointed but seeing all the girls again is really all that kept me watching.
Oct 30, 2014 11:13 PM

Feb 2010
I was expecting a lot of insert songs, kinda disappointed.
They actually dragged the drama. :/

Not like I spent a single money on this though. lol
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Oct 31, 2014 11:56 AM

Jul 2009
This turned out to be a great movie, and somewhat different than what I expected. It's somewhere between an 8 and 9, but I'll round up since the animation quality is quite top notch for A-1.

To me, this appears to be a bridging work to Cinderella Girls. The movie gives off a feeling that the main IDOLM@STER story on 765 Pro is over, and that there are other idols we can look forward to watching come January. (Of course, this could all change given that they tease us in the credits with the Producer returning from his stint in Hollywood. But they were finally able to use the ending plot of the game.)

Another thing worth noting in the credits is that Ritsuko appears to be proposing a second three-person unit composed of Mami, Yayoi, and Hibiki with a "genki" theme.

Too bad there was no scene of Chihaya's mother attending the concert (if she attended at all).
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Nov 1, 2014 9:54 AM

Aug 2008
I just realized that it looks like Ritsuko's proposing to make another unit with Yayoi, Mami, and Hibiki in the ED.

I would've loved Hibiki x Takane x Miki, though. Would have been banging.
Nov 1, 2014 3:47 PM

Jan 2012
Opening, PVs and Ending 10/10. Dat Movie trailer was awesome.

Focus on Haruka and her leadership was nice, but needed way more Miki as a counter.

Overall disappointed though, expected more from the actual cast and music. Kana's weak drama had way too much screen time for a newcomer and it weakens the whole otherwise good movie. Shiho was the best and only newcomer i liked though.
Nov 1, 2014 9:55 PM

Nov 2012
The drama was good until the second half when the Kana drama started getting overdramatic.

Haruka came off as a bit selfish during the movie not to letting Kana quit.Obviously she was forcing her to quit but if she hadn't been it would have just made Haruka even more selfish.Ohh well,it's not like I was actually expecting her to quit anyways.

My shitty computer couldn't handle the performance,so had to watch it on youtube which kinda ruined it's impact :/

7/10.
Nov 4, 2014 7:16 AM

Apr 2011
Despite the lengthy drama , I still enjoyed movie after all in my opinion. Could have put more performances though.
Nov 9, 2014 9:51 AM

Apr 2013
My only complain are the lenth of the movie. The drama was handled rather well but it was dragged and with this much time I wanted to see more than just the that.

But I think it was a good movie overall, thus 7/10 for me :)

I want some Idolm@ster now.
I never played the games so I don't know what to expect of Cinderella Girls.
Nov 12, 2014 11:26 AM

Oct 2007
sImssLovers said:
Bored,Bored,Bored,Bored,Bored

actually first 5 minute is pretty good
but what the fuck is going on in the rest is fucking fatty
Honestly
we don’t care about dat overdranatic scene
we don’t care the new girls

we need Spectacular concert, Impressive Song
CGI in the last make me headick

Fuck the A-1 studio
u made show suck overall

A-1 Blandtures
Nov 15, 2014 8:00 PM

Dec 2012
idolm@ster cinderella anyone?
Nov 19, 2014 1:47 AM

Dec 2012
Whew!! Finally finished this after 3 sittings due to my short attention span and lack of time. I thought it was a decent movie.
I enjoyed the drama and the show brought up some rather meaningful ideas that seems to be realistic occurrences in the entertainment industry or just life in general. The idea of dealing with change, what it means to be a leader and dealing with failure were all great.
The drama, music and the mood of the setting all were well utilized to present these ideas well. We also get to see how much impact these conflicts affected the characters emotionally.
Unfortunately despite the movie ability to bring up and address these problems the resolution and actual message I feel could have been more insightful rather than the "it'll will always work out" attitude. Hence it felt like wasted potential and issues ended up being resolved in a naive execution. In the end it just made the drama unjustified and overly dramatic if the issues and emotions were so easily resolved.
The final dance wasn't as exciting as a hoped for. The choreography was pretty standard, the sterile background of the cg glowsticks didn't give it a exciting atmosphere and animation of the dance itself felt pretty choppy. Even Kyoukai no Kanata had a better idol performance sequence. I think it might've been a better move to shorten the movie and put those extra budget into the final performance.
PoLoBreakNov 19, 2014 1:51 AM
Nov 23, 2014 6:13 AM

Jul 2014
I'm extremely disappointed. I was hoping they're would be more dancing and singing since it's a movie spin off of the series but none. Drama was tiring and I found Kana's who dilemma irritating rather than sad. Unless by sad I mean pathetic. Haruka was being stupid, selfish and childish as usual. I honestly can't stand her, she has like no personality of her own. Everything Shiho said was right, I hate how she had to apologize for putting Kana and Haruka in their places. Ugh, left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not enough Miki or Chihaya. Those two need a series to themselves about their international adventures. They should bring Iori and Shiho along as well.

Overall, painfully mediocre. Concert scene bumped it up though. Chihaya and Miki sound beautiful. I still don't think Haruka can sing.

5/10
[center][/center]
Nov 28, 2014 8:33 PM

Aug 2008
We will be getting a sequel for this show right?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 29, 2014 9:54 AM

Mar 2014
I do think the movie is good but I felt it didn't give me something more exciting in the story or the drama !!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The movie BD shortly listed to be released on 8 October.

rederoin - May 13, 2014

6 by HowTragic »»
Oct 5, 2014 3:17 PM

» Movie preview

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2013

20 by Stark700 »»
Aug 30, 2014 4:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.