Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 2, 2009 7:18 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, It was a pretty decent OVA.

Also, That girl sure was scary.
Nov 2, 2009 10:00 AM

Apr 2008
That was creepy.
Nov 2, 2009 11:03 AM

Oct 2007
Grimmm said:
That was creepy.

this.
Nov 2, 2009 11:54 AM

Mar 2009
that was quite good! that girl was creepy as hell but also kinda sad.

too bad it was short, I would have preferred to see this as a movie instead of an OVA but then again the ending would probably be the same: Nobody is saved.
Nov 2, 2009 12:13 PM
Jul 2009
I thought the OVA was pretty good. It doesn't add anything to the story, but it has its meaning.

I gave it a 7.
Julio-samaDec 4, 2009 4:26 PM
Nov 2, 2009 1:53 PM

May 2008
ROFL, filler in OVA form, this is simply hilarious.

Sent with Mal Updater
Nov 2, 2009 2:17 PM

Apr 2009
that girl was creepy when she moved her mouth xDDD
damn)
anyway nice ova..
Nov 2, 2009 2:17 PM

Aug 2008
This really doesn't make sense now... There was a point that there were only four people who transmutated humans.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2009 2:25 PM

Sep 2008
So not all transmutations by humans failed as catastrophically as the Elrics trying to restore their mother.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

Nov 2, 2009 4:05 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
I kinda feel bad for the butler.

Nov 2, 2009 4:14 PM
Apr 2008
This was one of the best OVA that I've ever seen.
Nov 2, 2009 4:50 PM

Nov 2007
Hm, that was interesting at someone else performing human transmutation.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Nov 2, 2009 5:49 PM

Feb 2009
CkretAznMan said:
This really doesn't make sense now... There was a point that there were only four people who transmutated humans.

no, that was just the number of people the homunculi are aware of and have confirmed that have done it.

As stated in the OVA it is a secret kept by the mansion that it ever occurred, this coupled with the secluded location would make it unlikely that the homunculi would have any knowledge of Judau preforming the transmutation.

also @ Serenti: read the description, this isn't filler in any sense of the word. Saying this is filler would be like saying Izumi's training at Mount. Briggs (another side story) is "filler" or any of the other side stories that have been published are "filler" parts.
Nov 2, 2009 5:51 PM

Sep 2008
I thought I saw Inuyasha somewhere...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2009 6:09 PM

Jul 2009
When the lady said "when my husband was alive" I thought Ed would go like "WTF, HE IS THAT DUDE RIGHT THERE", but that was the family's alchemist. :B
Nov 2, 2009 7:27 PM

Nov 2007
That was a good sidestory OVA, I particularly like the final line "But.. nobody was saved". It really reflected that family's situation, having to live a lie forever.
Nov 2, 2009 10:12 PM

Dec 2008
Kantarou said:
That was a good sidestory OVA, I particularly like the final line "But.. nobody was saved". It really reflected that family's situation, having to live a lie forever.

lol, exactly what I was thinking.
Nov 3, 2009 4:48 AM

Jul 2009
Talk about a creepy girl O.o
That half rotten body and hollow eyes was quite disturbing to say the least, especially considering she could move.
First thing that comes to mind is "Kill it with fire!"

Decent filler though, didn't bring anything to the overall story just got to see that family and their lives.
Like a small side quest :P
Nov 3, 2009 7:35 AM

Mar 2008
Good OVA, they animated this side story nicely.

And the mummy girl was really creepy

EternalDreamer said:

XD haha.
Nov 3, 2009 10:48 AM

May 2009
Was I the only one who thought that keeping whoever is inside that "body" alive is freaking sick? Creepy..
Nov 3, 2009 1:31 PM

Aug 2007
I think it was really good. It's true that it did nothing for the main story, but it made clear that death is something you can't avoid or fight against, one of the main themes in FMA (or so I think). Human transmutation is impossible, because the price is too high to pay and if you try, you'll only be left in despair.That's how it is and the OVA made this painfully clear.

At first it was rather playful and funny and then... *BAM* 180° turnaround into despair and pain. Arakawa-sensei is really cruel. D:
Nov 3, 2009 2:02 PM
Aug 2008
Xinchou said:
Btw, does any1 know what the ost/song at the ending is called?

I too want to know what the song is during the credits. XD It had really set the mood of the aftermath. Goodness, this was quite a decent OVA, but I felt that it was a bit too short and the drama was kind halved a bit. It certainly held some potential. Just wished it was longer to create an even greater impact on us. Still the message came across and I just loved Edward's last line.//that really wrapped up this OVA. Nicely done though overall.
Nov 3, 2009 4:38 PM

Aug 2007
I remember reading this a while back. It always creeped me out and left me depressed. The OVA did a good job of getting that across. Sad household, really.
Nov 3, 2009 6:12 PM

May 2008
Kantarou said:

Agree. It's a nice sidestory that adds to the background / lore of the series. Having to live a lie forever... That must be quite painful to endure.
Nov 4, 2009 12:42 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
kie_ said:
That girl sure was scary.
yeah i was extremely creeped out. A sad story :(
Yes, the ED song was very nice. I'd like to know who the artists is too please.
p r o f i l e 👀
Nov 4, 2009 1:19 AM

Aug 2009
Interesting OVA but that girl-thing was pretty creepy...
Nov 4, 2009 2:46 AM

Sep 2008
really sad, but for some reason im still amuzed because Ed put on his cloath in the head...1rst time i sawthat
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Nov 4, 2009 11:37 PM

Sep 2009
It was definitely a very haunting OVA, and I liked it quite a bit. As for the real Rosalie, the ending of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream comes to mind.

And now I'm off to watch Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu. xD
Nov 5, 2009 8:32 AM

Sep 2008
decent OVA ..

that transmuted girl moving her mouth was kinda creepy o_O!

4/5.. (8/10)

n like always, things don't go the Elric Brothers way ... *failed attempts*

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Nov 5, 2009 10:48 AM

Jun 2009
Really good OVA, creepy yet strangely beautiful.
Nov 5, 2009 3:43 PM

Oct 2008
I wonder what the point of keeping Rosalie around still was...xD
Still creepy, feel bad for Jubau though...D:
Nov 6, 2009 12:02 AM

Apr 2007
RETVirus said:
It was definitely a very haunting OVA, and I liked it quite a bit. As for the real Rosalie, the ending of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream comes to mind.

Yeah, if Rosalie was still alive inside that body, it certainly calls back to the end of the story and Ted's fate. Though this OVA wasn't nearly as depressing.

A decent watch though, more introspective than I was thinking it to be ... that is, when basing it off of the old FMA OVAs, which were just throwaway nonsense.
Nov 6, 2009 10:57 AM
Apr 2009
Creeeeepy! But I still really liked it.

'But... Nobody was saved' ;_;
Nov 6, 2009 2:59 PM

Jan 2008
The ED Theme is on the FMA Brotherhood OST. It's track 28 if I remember it correctly ^^

Senju Akira - Happiness ~Requiem from "The Blind Alchemist"~
Nov 19, 2009 8:37 PM

Jan 2009
Fanatastiv OVA!
It reminded me very much of the twilight zone.
Creepy yet thought-provoking.

8/10

Nov 20, 2009 5:15 AM

Jan 2009
Prongs said:
Kantarou said:

lol, exactly what I was thinking.

^This, and
EternalDreamer said:

^This. My thoughts exactly.

And while I'm at it, I could mention that it was quite a nice OVA, although in retrospect, nothing really happened xD
In the beginning: Human transmutation, nah you can't do that.
In the end: Human transmutation, nah you still can't do that.
xD
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 25, 2009 3:47 AM

Apr 2009
Wow. Amazing. It really made me cry o.o
What a household...now the only question is: does the real Rosalie feel and understand everything? Can she talk and chooses not to or can she think but not talk? Or maybe neither of the two... I think that this is what truly made the Elrics glad that their transmutation failed that miserably. Because we could all see that a successful transmutation is in no way better...made even worse by the fact that the creature actually resembles Rosalie, while the monster Ed&Al created hardly even resembled a person, not to mention Trisha herself.

A very minor detail, but it really caught my attention in a very good way: that soldier at the gate smiling when the butler said 'Every one of us bears the burden of the truth.' I don't know why, but I needed to rewind and watch that short scene three more times. It was just so...meaningful.

And of course the music near the end and then that haunting ending were amazing. Wow.

Oh, and how could I forget: the way fake Rosalie turned to Al and replied to his 'Aren't you scared?' with 'Why? Aren't you the same?' (something like that, don't remember the exact words) with such innocent naivete...raises some questions.
CenedessNov 25, 2009 3:54 AM
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 25, 2009 4:00 AM

Jan 2009
Cenedess said:
Because we could all see that a successful transmutation is in no way better...made even worse by the fact that the creature actually resembles Rosalie, while the monster Ed&Al created hardly even resembled a person, not to mention Trisha herself.

But Judau's transmutation was successful, not successful, if you know what I mean, that's what everyone told him after he failed with bringing the real Rosalie back completely. Because.. I mean, he lost his eyes, doing his best, and they just couldn't bring themselves to tell him he failed : (
(Also, Ed&Al were kids when they attempted human transmutation, Judau was fully grown, even growing a bit old)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 25, 2009 4:24 AM

Apr 2009
Oosran said:
Cenedess said:
Because we could all see that a successful transmutation is in no way better...made even worse by the fact that the creature actually resembles Rosalie, while the monster Ed&Al created hardly even resembled a person, not to mention Trisha herself.

But Judau's transmutation was successful, not successful, if you know what I mean, that's what everyone told him after he failed with bringing the real Rosalie back completely. Because.. I mean, he lost his eyes, doing his best, and they just couldn't bring themselves to tell him he failed : (
(Also, Ed&Al were kids when they attempted human transmutation, Judau was fully grown, even growing a bit old)

You said it - failed to bring her back completely. But he did bring her back in a sense, as the posture and the hair was the same. Her body was pretty much mummified (yeah, a minor detail xD)...but it was the same body, if you know what I mean. Same components, same DNA. He did resurrect the human he had intended to, but just in the body. Neither the soul nor mind is there, but she opened her mouth, so she is alive in a sense. Biologically, this would be a successful resurrection. It's just that...she's not completely human without the soul and the mind.
In Trisha's case, what the Elrics created didn't resemble a human, not to mention having any of Trisha's characteristics nor DNA (as the hair scene showed).

But I get your point and I admit that it's just my way of seeing the case, I may be wrong (and probably am XD).

(now admit, how many times you facepalmed reading this? XD)
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 25, 2009 5:01 AM

Jan 2009
Cenedess said:
Oosran said:
Cenedess said:

You said it - failed to bring her back completely. But he did bring her back in a sense, as the posture and the hair was the same. Her body was pretty much mummified (yeah, a minor detail xD)...but it was the same body, if you know what I mean. Same components, same DNA. He did resurrect the human he had intended to, but just in the body. Neither the soul nor mind is there, but she opened her mouth, so she is alive in a sense. Biologically, this would be a successful resurrection. It's just that...she's not completely human without the soul and the mind.
In Trisha's case, what the Elrics created didn't resemble a human, not to mention having any of Trisha's characteristics nor DNA (as the hair scene showed).

But I get your point and I admit that it's just my way of seeing the case, I may be wrong (and probably am XD).

(now admit, how many times you facepalmed reading this? XD)

Still, do we really know that's exactly how the "real" Rosalie looked?
I mean, the "fake" Rosalie was adopted because she looked somewhat like the original, but sure, I guess the zombie-mummy-thingy was similar enough xD
But the best thing about Ed&Al's try, is that they didn't even get the correct person, but instead some random man with black (instead of brown) hair : D... Now that's a failure, yes xD
Sure enough though, you've got valid points all over the place : p

(and no, I didn't really facepalm, although I let out an evil-sounding "omoshiroi" =interesting, if you didn't know xD)
Dec 1, 2009 12:58 PM

Apr 2009
Wow that was really sad but awesome.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Dec 4, 2009 4:28 PM
Jul 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
I thought I saw Inuyasha somewhere...

Huh? O_O
Dec 12, 2009 7:52 AM

Sep 2008
Nothing special like for me.
Jan 12, 2010 1:00 PM

Jul 2008
very sad episode, and the fact they keep the corpse(?) around is a little disturbing
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jan 31, 2010 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, I didn't expect such a good and serious story in this OVA. Related to the main story, but completely original plot.
ManU-Alchemist said:
This was one of the best OVA that I've ever seen.
Jan 31, 2010 3:27 PM

Feb 2009
How sad, no matter how nice everyone is about it they are living a lie and bringing Amy into it is just wrong. I am pretty sure that Judau know that he failed.
Feb 12, 2010 5:29 AM
Nov 2009
How sad :(

They definitely shouldn't have adopted Amy, or kept the...corpse? What a peculiar situation 3:

Poor family :(

Al's "Bye-Bye" at the end was really sweet ^w^
May 23, 2010 2:27 AM

Feb 2009
Wow, I really liked. I thought it would have action, but it but it surprised me in the positive, great story.
May 23, 2010 4:33 AM

Oct 2008
This ova rocked my socks off . . It had the right amount of drama and spook , to make me get goosebumps . Awesome stuff . .
Jun 1, 2010 10:10 PM

Sep 2008
Definitely just an OVA... since it doesn't add anything, but it is meant to just be a little spin-off or side story thing anyway. It was okay, I suppose. I love how Ed does the opposite of what he's told. :D And it was kind of creepy how Amy really WAS used to being around "Rosalie"... I would've had the same reaction as Al when Rosalie moved her mouth, supposedly. XD Or maybe I would have actually full-out bolted for the door... Rosalie was creepy...

Liked Ed's line at the end. Really further instilled a feeling of sympathy for the family. :\
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Specials Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

refinder - Aug 31, 2010

100 by waalex11 »»
Sep 13, 2023 2:22 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist (2009) Specials Episode 3 [Sensei Monogatari] Discussion ( 1 2 )

Antanaru - Apr 27, 2010

74 by MxS7HGS »»
Mar 20, 2023 2:01 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Specials Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kage-bunshin - Jan 12, 2010

69 by MxS7HGS »»
Mar 20, 2023 1:43 PM

» What is everyone's favorite OVA episode of the 4 and favorite mini episode of the 16 and why?

LilKis1986 - Jun 22, 2012

4 by troilus_05s »»
Dec 3, 2022 7:46 AM

» FMAB: Specials Ep1 ending music

MaxKhunglo - Jul 24, 2021

2 by MaxKhunglo »»
Jul 24, 2021 12:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.