Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 5, 2014 9:05 AM

Aug 2011
I noticed that there are huge differences between what and how things happen in the Anime and in the novel. Unfortunately, I'm not good at Japanese and the Baka-Tsuki version that I'm reading is somewhat lacking in quality of translation. I'm not sure I'll be able to read through it to the end, and even if I do, given the translation, I'll probably misunderstand a lot of things.

Is there anyone out there who's willing and capable of making a small parallel between the two and compare them a little?

Thanks.
Nov 13, 2014 6:18 AM

Apr 2013
Hey i Know this is a bit late to respond to, but i found your question very interesting as I noticed many differences when i read/reading the light novel.

Now for your question, i was bit confused as to how much you actually read or understood, so i apologize if i say anything you knew.

For me at this point, I clearly understood the translation and have a decent memory of what i found interesting and very different from the Anime adaption. Actually many things that i thought should of not been changed from the Light Novel.

I made a stopping point around after they conquered Gifu and were on their trip to the capital and some of Nagamasa's backstory and Nobukatsu's relationship expanded. (So Vol 3ish?)

Time for a laundry list.(not implying i think the Anime is bad, I did enjoy it)
Also i guess this could be spoilers, not really sure?
Time for ramblings and a wall of text, i apologize in advance.

-First, many changes of how characters are introduced or how they are in certain scenes. This is a big thing for Inuchiyo and Mitsuhide. Mitsuhide's Presence is barely ever shown around the Viper early on(doesn't give Nobuna "Viper's last words scrolls", probably not even seen as a right hand man to him in the light novel, so the scenes of her with Saru meeting Hanbei in the Anime is different. She really only shows to offer her services to Nobuna after taking Gifu and actually says the idea "to use a puppet" I believe.

-For Inuchiyo, i always wondered why she had that Tiger hat cloak thing on her head, but in the Anime its never really explained just kinda cute. In the Novel she actually does leave for a few chapters and comes to recuse Saru from Hanzo in the woods. It's a sign of her training in the wild to become a better person. Also that Hanzo fight and Inuchiyo fight felt epic in the novel, a bit more bloody too. So probably Madhouse/Gokumi just wanted some girls to have more screentime.
With that said, Nagahide/Manchiyo is actually never really introduced till post Nobukatsu revolt.

-Katsuie just punches them out the generals during their "revolt" instead of the "lets scream Nobuna's name and weaken their spirits" thing they did in the Anime. She gets drunk at times and they are fun and actually pretty cute scenes, in the Light novel and I swear there are feelings of romantic love for Nobuna.

-Goemon and her i called them her "fan club" is a bit more explained. They are kinda like ronin samurai which mean masterless and they are looking for a future in life. Goemon has taken the role and wants to help them gain status and nobility. This i think is a big portion that is left out and is a bit more comedic in the Anime(which is kinda fine too). But i find it really important, because i really think this biting her tongue loli ninja was really interesting, Deadly and has a purpose to help people.

-Saru's home life in the "shed" i guess you can say feels a bit more explained. He talks with Nene more, Nene is apparently kinda smart? He trains under the old man and gains a bit of swordsmanship skills. Felt really interesting to see another reality besides this changed historical nobunaga and Sengoku Jidai. But nah he just wants the most beautiful girl as a prize says the Anime.

-Nobuna and Takechiyo(Ieyasu, Matsudaira, watever he/she had many names in the Kessen/SW games) they were "friends" in history i believe and that came up a bit more in the Light novel. Which explains more why they would become allies in the series instead of just "Hanzo will convince my master to side with Nobuna". More friendly conversations and relationships built between these two really important Sengoku Jidai figures.

-Also since i like Hanbei and Goemon a lot, the battle of Sunomata is very different, compared to the anime. Honestly everything in the whole conquering Gifu is completely different, but its still good for the anime. (Hanbei's donkey or little pony, how cute.)

Well i'll just stop here there is probably more but since i don't want to feel like I'm bashing the Anime or try to sound like i know everything cause i don't. I really did enjoy it and was thinking of buying the DVD to support it and pray to god a 2nd Season comes. I'm just a big Samurai/Sengoku Jidai/ fan ever since playing Kessen 1. And man did i really want to see Shingen Takeda, probably gonna be better than the Nobunaga the fool's version.

OH Madhouse/Gokumi and your light novel adaptions. IM TOTALLY LOOKING at you Mahouka koukou no Rettousei.(don't need to get started on that.)
Though the other Nobuna/Mahouka light novel readers probably know what i'm talking about, I mean still liked Mahouka too cause of like Erika.(Budget went all into NGNL i swear or something.)

Also i really wanted like a Loli Yukimura Sanada and a Tadakatsu Honda, but at least we were given a semi-Bishie Hanzo Hattori voiced by Takahiro Sakurai he was so goodddddd. And Botenmaru/Date was just awesome too.(First time posting on MAL forums so no idea how this works or how this will look in the end :d)

Also thanks, you reminded me how much i enjoyed the Light Novel and should probably continue reading it.
woe90Nov 13, 2014 7:01 AM
Nov 13, 2014 9:42 AM

Aug 2011
@woe90

Wow, you're into the Sengoku Jidai more than I am!
I recently got into it and rewatched the anime and picked up the novels.
I even did some research on the real history just to be able to understand the parallels.

I swear, between Shogun 2, Oda Nobuna and the real history, I finally understood some stuff. Thanks to Nobuna I managed to learn the notable people because now I associate them with hot girls. All history should be learned like this!

I think I'm at the Sakai part in the novels. The translation is pretty bad but I know enough Japanese to deduce what they meant.
And there are a lot of differences. The initial reactions are more plausible in the novel, but from what I heard, the harem will also be more pronounced. Well, at least SaruNobuna relation will develop more...

I stopped reading recently, but I'll probably pick it up again when I have some more time.
Nov 14, 2014 3:30 AM

Apr 2013
I surely do love certain things with samurais and Jidaigeki, even live action things like Last Samurai, Yojimbo, and Seven Samurai(Akira Kurosawa so good)! Many of these points i made were very clear and stood out way more to me than some things in the Nobuna Anime. Also Goemon is probably best idea ever for a Ninja, especially her Pink skull.

Yeah i really do think its a fun idea of bringing up history in interesting ways, which is also why i like Kohime Musou a lot, not the Anime(Even though strangely hilarious), the Visual Novel is awesome for a Sangokushi(3 kingdoms era) interpretation. Should probably try to read the book "Romance of the three kingdoms" actually i love Dynasty Warriors.

Nobuna the series does obviously allude to multiple historical events which is fun, Okehazama, Gifu/Sunomata, and Danjo "killing/ starting the assassination" of the shogun, but of course liberties are taken since of course everyone is a female. And i do think the novels question the power of women at the time too, when you think about Nagamasa's case and reasoning to pretend to dress as a man.(To avoid a certain somebody)

And there are some other Sengoku Jidai era themes too. Such as westernization(Use of guns in warfare), global connections(Nobuna wanting to travel instead of just rule), Ronin samurai and their importance. Because Guns were a big part of Nobunaga Oda's history, but also for being ruthless and killing peasants, which obviously Saru knows and is trying to avoid. So a fun little taste of History is nice, i really do enjoy history which is why I like the Fate series.(which i just remembered, u had Gilgamesh Avatar. Oh boy was i surprised to see some people in the PSP Fate Extra game, LU BUUU. Which reminds me, gotta read the Fate Zero Light Novel now.)

To me a lot of the games and animes i guess Romanticize this historical era(Kessen and Kessen 3) and kinda give you these "what if" ideas and situations which make knowing both the real history and how they are worked into the fictional stories very interesting. And its not just in Anime that do it, or Sengoku or Sangokushi either that have alternate retelling of history.

Again Nobunaga the Fool has an "Interesting" take on the battle of Sunomata with Saru. And oh god Yukimura Sanda voiced by Rie Kugimiya in hyakka ryouran samurai girls, oh god.

I would imagine the most interesting part is too see what the light novel creates after the events of Honnoji, since Saru is not really Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide won't do Mitsuhide things. But since i noticed so many differences in the first 6 episodes, the Capital/Saika arcs will be just as much different from LN to Anime.

Also when you mentioned hot girls and history, it reminded me of a friend mentioning to me during Anime Club, About a game with a female Moefied version of Hitler. Well oh boy, not like i'm surprised. I mean the visual novel "My girlfriend is the president" has "Ohama" and Russian President "Putina". Russian Ex-KGB officer as a female president, what a great idea. Like Vlad. Putin wasn't mentioned enough on the Daily Show.

I really do think the series is a bit more than a harem series, even if we just turned everyone into girls. I mean there are like 5 lolis but still, its the warring states era, people gotta act tough and make sacrifices for peace. I hope you find the time read it and enjoy it more.(Still crosses fingers for season 2, you don't just tease Shingen Takeda, i mean its Shingen Takeda "Fierce as Fire, Immovable as the Mountain")
woe90Nov 14, 2014 3:52 AM
Nov 20, 2014 6:25 AM

Aug 2011
Sorry, I'm a fan of Fate, but not of the VN and other games, just the anime, especially Fate/Zero. I picked up the Fate/Zero novel, but didn't get too far since Oda Nobuna had my curiosity for longer.

Other than Oda Nobuna, I haven't watched too many Sengoku anime. I recently tried to pick up some, but didn't find the time.

The Mitsuhide betraying Nobuna might be explained by the love triangle, at least that's what the author seems to be going for. I'm still a bit pissed that all of the females are falling for Saru... one, two, maybe three would be fine, but not all.

Yeah. Rule 63 I believe it was called. Lertih Adolf... yeah...
Also, wasn't Takeda supposed to be 51 or so, if I remember from Kagemusha right. She looks way too young.
Nov 23, 2014 8:18 AM

Apr 2013
Sengoku Basara Might be an interesting watch. To see fun action and Date Masamune acting pretty interesting. It is Capcom and they literally made Honda into a tank.
Though if BaseSon's "Sengoku Kohime" VN gets popular there may be another Gender Swapped Sengoku era anime, which that could turn out very interesting.(high hopes + crosses fingers)

I remember talking with someone and saying how Nobunaga Oda would be a fun Archer class in the fate universe with all his rifles. His reality marble would just be a bunch of constant firing rifles.VS UBW that would be pretty insane.

Never seen Kurosawa's Kagemusha, i might have to since its about Takeda and has Nagashino.

And relating age back to the Nobuna series, i see what you mean, but Katsuie and Nagahide should of been in their late 20s to 30s but are more like late teens in the anime. Shingen is probably another female who took the head role of the family at an early age. Light novel even said Hanbei was like 13 or 14, but she took on more of the historical traits of Hanbei being physically weak and sick.
Most of the males are probably around their correct age like the Viper(Saitou)
Nov 28, 2014 9:05 AM

Aug 2011
woe90 said:

I remember talking with someone and saying how Nobunaga Oda would be a fun Archer class in the fate universe with all his rifles. His reality marble would just be a bunch of constant firing rifles.VS UBW that would be pretty insane.

Yeah, it's my hobby to make Grail War servants. Rider Takeda, obvious. Archer Oda, yup. Saber Date? Lancer Uesugi? Assassin Hattori? Another Saber Shimazu (sorry, too much Total War :P). Not sure what Mori would be. Ottomo should also be Archer, with their Matchlocks. Chosokabe archer!!! You know, stuff like that. But then again, I get most of my knowledge from Total War and Wikipedia... soo, you'll have to tell me if I'm on the right path.

woe90 said:

Never seen Kurosawa's Kagemusha, i might have to since its about Takeda and has Nagashino.

YOU SHOULD! How can you consider yourself a Sengoku Jidai Fan if you haven't watched Kurosawa's filmography?!?! You simply must watch it. Kagemusha was awesome!

woe90 said:

And relating age back to the Nobuna series, i see what you mean, but Katsuie and Nagahide should of been in their late 20s to 30s but are more like late teens in the anime. Shingen is probably another female who took the head role of the family at an early age. Light novel even said Hanbei was like 13 or 14, but she took on more of the historical traits of Hanbei being physically weak and sick.
Most of the males are probably around their correct age like the Viper(Saitou)

Yeah, most of the inaccuracies are because of "harem" and "Romcom" reasons. But for a harem, it's pretty dammed good. It stands up there on the list of "Harems that haven't pissed me off" with Arpeggio of Blue Steel and another one I seem to have forgotten right now.
Apr 7, 2015 10:22 AM
Oct 2011
Also the way the final battle plays out is quite differnt in the light novels, Danjo says the monks deserve burning because they are hypocrites. They they drink, eat meat, and kill as much as they want (all things which buddhists priests are forbidden to do), yet hide behind buddhism when it suits them. For example they harbored the sniper who shot at Nobuna twice then refused to let her army enter because it wa made up almost entirely of women. Nobuna and Danjo had both had bad experience with the hypocracy of said monks. In nobuna's case it had to due with her father death ,that knew the prayers the were chanting for him wouldn't do anything yet still demended payment for their services after thier deaths. Danjo also had bad experiences with their hypocracy who derided her for being of mixed blood (she is of partial Persian descent), and all of the hypocracy in the monks at time, as well as the belittling drove her away from buddhism. Because of thier shared history of hypocracy Danjo end up projecting her feelings unto Nobuna and encouraged her to burn Mount Hiei while citing the monks hypocracy. Also it is important to note at this time that Nobuna was was still under the influence of Danjo's drug as it was the only way tokeep her going.

What this means is that Danjo was calleing the shots but sincerly, though, wrongly, believeing what she was doing what Nobuna herself would have wanted.

Luckily Saru shows up in time, and points out to her, yeah these monks are hypocrites but the common people don't realize thet.

Nobuna instead gives the follwing demands.

""Mount Hiei must sign an agreement to never help Asai and
Asakura clans, and will disarm all monks from now on and return back to
the original tasks of a monk...Refusing is not an option! Originally, monks should not take up arms, aren't worshipping Buddha and saving the common folk to get closer to the essence of Buddhism your job? If you love fights, how about you go become a soldier!? As a soldier, I will not object to you going to war for the conquest of unifying the world. Your people who are not willing to stop being a monk and yet wanting to wave weapons around, you guys, are just too shameful!...Do you agree? If you don't disarm completely, whether if it's Asai or Asakura, you monks will be burned to ashes! This is not a threat! It's a final warning! ... Though you are monks outwardly, but in actual fact, aren't you guys soldiers that are grouped together!? Waging war is to take lives from both parties! To us warriors, this is a battle betting our own lives! Just attacking us one-sidedly, and if the other party retaliates you will use your bullshit reasoning saying they were disrespectful towards Buddha. We don't take this kind of bullshit here! But... Without any weapons and have not broken any rules, monks that are high in moral values aren't few in Mount Hiei, isn't it?" ... Those monks who had ignored all your doings for all these years, they are all guilty! ... what I don't respect are those hypocrites and despicable bastards who use Buddhism as a symbol and yet doing all kinds of bad things! If there really is a God or Buddha, they will never punish me who punished
these villains for them."
"Then, this is the last condition! This is the most important one, I'll never
compromise on this. ... The place to sign the peace agreement must be at... The main hall of Mount Hiei! I will personally go into Mount Hiei and sign it!"
Apr 7, 2015 10:31 PM

Apr 2013
@animalia Ah thank you for the pretty interesting and detailed explanation. Though sadly i stopped short so far in the novels of them reaching Kyoto in Vol 3, i would of expected a difference like that in the Anime Adaption. (I probably should read more vols before talking about differences though heh.)

Though i just expect that now from a Anime light novel adaption coming from Madhouse after Mahouka and reading those LNs.(Much less upset over the Nobuna changes than the Mahouka "changes")

But now i think you have given me a push to find time to pick it back up, since what you explained sounds really good. I personally found enjoyment in the Nobuna Anime kyoto to last arc, but i wouldn't mind learning more of Danjo,

I always assumed she was probably Persian, don't know if that was clearly stated in the Anime. Danjo probably a character outside of the Owari region who has had a chance to witness the chaos a bit more personally(Probably not much from Hanbei/Mitsuhide). Though never would of expected the development of them having shared experiences.

Appreciate the examples
woe90Apr 7, 2015 11:04 PM
Aug 1, 2015 8:00 AM

Jul 2012
woe90 said:

OH Madhouse/Gokumi and your light novel adaptions. IM TOTALLY LOOKING at you Mahouka koukou no Rettousei.(don't need to get started on that.)
Though the other Nobuna/Mahouka light novel readers probably know what i'm talking about, I mean still liked Mahouka too cause of like Erika.(Budget went all into NGNL i swear or something.)

Can't agree more. I haven't read Nobuna yet but, Mahouka was really, really terrible. I was utterly dissapointed. The only thing they got right was the siscon I guess? Even Miyukl's voice was really disappointing.
よろしく!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oda Nobuna no Yabou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2012

118 by BensonOtaku »»
Apr 10, 2:59 AM

Poll: » Oda Nobuna no Yabou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2012

283 by Rurihime »»
Mar 5, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Oda Nobuna no Yabou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2012

119 by Apratim »»
Jun 17, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Oda Nobuna no Yabou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2012

126 by Roch2001 »»
Apr 10, 2023 10:00 AM

Poll: » Oda Nobuna no Yabou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2012

85 by Nagachi-Chan »»
Feb 26, 2023 3:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.