Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 21, 2014 1:59 AM

Jan 2011
Complete 180 shift in tone.
Nov 24, 2014 9:07 AM

Jul 2014
A really underrated anime with deep meanings.. Despite I agree that this series use to have stereotypical characters, remember that it's like that in 95% of all japanimation to be honest, the characters are chosen among several presets. Arts and Computer Graphics are nice, nothing exceptional though. The original soundtrack is unique and fit perfectly the anime, but the sheets could have been better.

I really enjoyed the universe of this series which mix Sci-Fi and Supernatural, and the mystery behind the Lightless Realm and the monsters was pretty interesting. The combo psychological+drama is always good. I was expecting a nice rage scene and my wish has been granted. But the plot was slow... too slow... I'm disappointed about the fact that the end is way too happier... and no MC died.
Dec 19, 2014 3:40 AM

Jan 2012
This anime would of been better without soo much "flashback".

Every episode there is flash back and I have already gotten to the point, where I'm like just move on to the present time. In addition Akashi with his negative emotions and losing in the lightness realm( about 99%).

It can easily be a 12 episode opposed to 24 episodes because it seems like dragging on and not even getting anywhere.

In the end I would have preferred akaashi xTsugumi but Sasame is good too. Minashi shouldn't be alive. He should have disappeared.

However, there were a few episodes which does meet my expectations so I will rate it a decent 6.

What happened to the mad scientist, is he still alive because of the necrometal effect dissapaeared

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Apr 1, 2015 9:39 AM

Dec 2012
Masterpiece. 10/10
Why did all you idiots finish it if you hated it so much?
Aug 13, 2015 1:47 PM

Aug 2015
Wasnt so bad, actually was really liking this at the end. Rushed happy end but I'll take it.
And with this Akashi's harem was born - Emiru, Sasame and Tsugumi. They should make 2nd season harem anime just to piss everyone even more. :D
Aug 20, 2015 1:47 PM

Jan 2014
Tsugumi! :( finished it because of her. LOL

BORING anime though. BUT GREAT OP/ED! :D
Insert Signature Here
Aug 22, 2015 12:21 AM

Apr 2009
yeah dude this anime is boring :(
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Oct 5, 2015 8:08 PM

Feb 2011
Guess I'm in the minority, but I really liked this. It wasn't perfect, but the psychological stuff really kept my attention, and I liked the scifi/paranormal cross. And the ending, some found it too happy, but I felt it really embodied the whole point of everything: the bonds between people and moving forward despite darkness. Minashi accepting his mistake and being forgiven fits into this, as well as Tsugumi finally letting go of her hatred.

Overall, the series itself was very character driven, which I enjoyed, but I think this is partly why it did sometimes feel disorganized or slow. The characters themselves needed some fine tuning and there needed to be a better balance between character drive and action. Adding to this, even with the attention given to characters like Akashi, I could never really get attached to any of them. For example, from the very beginning cold hearted Akashi's love at first sight reaction to Sasame made me doubtful of any kind of truly deep bond between them. It made more sense once the flashbacks revealed they had a past, but other then a few brief moments, there was never any build up between the two of them, so when she became a LIM, rather than be really upset, I was more like, *shrugs* "oh, that sucks." (I also agree with other people that she was kinda boring)

All the pieces did come together, though, and I love seeing characters transition. For all the hate Minashi is getting, I actually liked how his character unraveled at the end and was happy they were able to bring him back. And while I can't say I really liked Akashi, I did thoroughly enjoy his transition from a closed off ass, into deluded, insanity when Sasame became a LIM, then back into someone who wasn't so closed off anymore as he picked up the pieces of his heart (though I doubt he's fully healed yet).

So yeah, not perfect, but I really liked it.
Oct 19, 2015 11:33 PM

Jul 2012
I wanted to like this anime, but the characters got a little weird.
Jan 25, 2016 11:45 AM
May 2013
Oh boy this was weird , I wished for a happy ending but I didn't believed it was going to happen .
The downfall of it for me was when they went to the island or ~ episode 18 .
Jan 28, 2016 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
Those last 5 episodes, what the heck lol, that's a 180 if I've ever seen one. This show felt like it was supposed to go one way, someone read a draft and said "Let me make some changes, it'll be okay."

Ending was meh and disappointing, sad would have fit this better but I'll never hate a happy ending. Sasame is bleh, wanted Tsugumi x Akashi. Reika and Iwato should have gotten more shine than they did and Heito got shafted.
Mar 3, 2016 7:31 AM

Oct 2009
Oh god finally got around to finishing it after putting it off for an year or so..

Again wasted potential with shit characters..

5/10
Apr 29, 2016 12:34 PM
Mar 2016
Nikoko said:
Guess I'm in the minority, but I really liked this. It wasn't perfect, but the psychological stuff really kept my attention, and I liked the scifi/paranormal cross. And the ending, some found it too happy, but I felt it really embodied the whole point of everything: the bonds between people and moving forward despite darkness. Minashi accepting his mistake and being forgiven fits into this, as well as Tsugumi finally letting go of her hatred.

Overall, the series itself was very character driven, which I enjoyed, but I think this is partly why it did sometimes feel disorganized or slow. The characters themselves needed some fine tuning and there needed to be a better balance between character drive and action. Adding to this, even with the attention given to characters like Akashi, I could never really get attached to any of them. For example, from the very beginning cold hearted Akashi's love at first sight reaction to Sasame made me doubtful of any kind of truly deep bond between them. It made more sense once the flashbacks revealed they had a past, but other then a few brief moments, there was never any build up between the two of them, so when she became a LIM, rather than be really upset, I was more like, *shrugs* "oh, that sucks." (I also agree with other people that she was kinda boring)

All the pieces did come together, though, and I love seeing characters transition. For all the hate Minashi is getting, I actually liked how his character unraveled at the end and was happy they were able to bring him back. And while I can't say I really liked Akashi, I did thoroughly enjoy his transition from a closed off ass, into deluded, insanity when Sasame became a LIM, then back into someone who wasn't so closed off anymore as he picked up the pieces of his heart (though I doubt he's fully healed yet).

So yeah, not perfect, but I really liked it.

Same here...
I get the point of you all, and I do see the issues when it comes to the storyline, the transformation of the characters, the lack of certain detailing and fine tuning of the plot...
BUT i also enjoyed it a lot!

From an objectiv POV, yeah the ending was.....well...you know...
But I lately seen too many series, where my mind got f*cked up by cliffhangers, spoiled plots, ripped off and abused capturings of the original manga story arch ( hello Elfen Lied, and f@uck you Tokyo Ghoul...yeah I am reading the manga..), that I for once really was relieved that there was a cheeky nice happy ending!

We could discuss all over the animation...the music etc...again...but for my 2 cents, I loved the story, it was enjoyable!

Since there's never going to be a continuation (too be honest on the other side...THANK GOD), there was so much room for evolution when it comes to the personas in the story...bums me out a little

Never the less, cool shit
May 22, 2016 2:13 AM

Mar 2012
I don't know where to even begin...the character interactions were just so illogical...before they met Tsugumi and she rejogged their memories it was all about saving emiru and sasame, she tells them, and it's STILL ABOUT SAVING EMIRU AND SASAME...like what the fuck? It's like the writer thought it would be cool to have main characters sit and go "yeah....its kinda our fault you were tormented like this for 10 years, but....we don't really care about saving you, we just want our friends to return to normal so please let us have the lightstone and while we're together again, you can come with us this time!"...thats literally the entire focus of their efforts the whole rest of the show. It's just so illogical.
What was the point of Tsugumi at all then if none of them really cared about saving her? There was a scene from last episode that showed while Sasame and Minashi started to run away from the Corpse, all Sasame really did care about was running after Akashi and did not care about her sister. So I never understood why everyone kept saying they were sinners, but none of them actually really viewed themselves as in the wrong at all for anything. The little twist with Minashi was poorly written too, and was a foreshadowed build up over god knows how many episodes that lasted....10 minutes? It was just so obvious the writer was forcing the drama and love affair to remain between Akashi and Sasame that they neglected everything else because they had a sudden change of what they wanted to write about mid season, hell, for a good while the show was trying to ship Emiru and Akashi as well, and the moment the show found a new ship to sail, Emiru was discarded.

I was going to give this a 4 instead of a 2, because 16 episodes had me going "this is so underrated" and the last 8 made me go "this is so overrated even with the mean average score as low as it is", but because the writer put in a fairy tail "everyone miraculously gets saved" ending, it's going to be a very well deserved 3. Seriously, you promote the whole time once a LIM is created you can never go back, the 3/4ths of the damn show, and the last quarter you just go and say, "well maybe we can somehow research it to return people back....." It's like the show had an identity crisis at the end, "well this show had a lot of deaths that made sense, and it was a dark show the whole time so...we'll continue to write illogical shit and make it a happy ending, sound good publishers?"

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
May 23, 2016 9:30 AM

Jun 2013
The show actually had some potential but the bad writing and crappy animations ruined it. The story was needlessly complicated and mediocre. The characters were boring and bland throughout. Half of them had no real motive or role for most of the anime. They were just there and it was so pointless. Initially I kinda liked Akashi but they screwed his character up too with forced romance and no character development. Furthermore, the romance felt so lame even Emiru or Tsugumi made a better lead then Sasame.

Towards the end it felt like the writer was making up shit along the way. They should have at least killed of the characters in LIM as their deaths would've make the plot way more interesting and meaningful enough to create an impact on other characters.

Overall a complete waste of time. 4/10
Jun 15, 2016 8:03 AM

Feb 2016
That conclusions was as shallow as the whole anime. They've done almost the same thing over 24 episodes. Corpse - relationships - crying - flashbacks, that's it.

Overall rating 5/10.
Jul 12, 2016 9:50 AM

Nov 2008
Hmmm, the ending feels kinda super flat would have loved more depressing ending but overall it was an OK experience.
Jul 30, 2016 9:41 AM

Dec 2012
It's simple, but I like Akashi's response to Minashi. In contrast to wanting to become one, Akashi believes it's better for people to unite because of their differences. Every time they're separated, they'll reach out. That reminds me of the OP's lyrics a bit. "It's mankind's nature to come together. Our love and bonds are things we can trust." That kind of hits me a bit since I tend to get hung up on misunderstandings and thought Minashi had a noble goal in mind.

I take it the technology at the end lets people resonate and connect their thoughts. Funny though how rather telepathy, Sasame mouths out Akashi's name.

"Darkness is never born as darkness. It is born when light is lost. The same is said for the darkness within one's heart."

This best describes what M3 is about. Each character facing their inner darkness. One detail that particularly fascinates me is how they approach darkness as an absence of light. It's even within the name "Lightless Realm." This suggests that there's no dark place that light cannot illuminate. A rather optimistic message considering how dark this show had been. Speaking of, I do like that transition from despair early on into a more hopeful atmosphere as the the cast confronts their inner demons. Most notably Akashi and how hatred for his brother was transformed into a love and admiration for him.

As a whole, this certainly was a fascinating choice. I won't lie, it's certainly riddled with room for improvement and there were times that were a bit dull. But it still managed to get me. Call it my bias for Sato Junichi, I really liked how the characters overcame their pasts and the concept of connecting their thoughts and feelings to one another. It could certainly get edgy and grim, even at times depressing. But at the end of it all, the light once again illuminates the lightless.

8/10
Aug 27, 2017 2:43 AM
Jun 2017
Finally, dawn has come.
Jan 7, 2019 3:34 PM

Aug 2007
I can't think of anything I actually enjoyed in this anime. It started painfully average and ended that way too. I felt no real connection to any characters or the story. The animation is okay as well as the music. The writing really put this in the ground, and I felt like there could be potential to be good but it never came to fruition.

I've seen way worse things and as an experience I felt very bored through the majority of the episodes or that the drama was forced.

4/10

Jan 29, 2019 1:45 PM

Mar 2018
So everyone got a happy ending, even the corpse lol. I'm especially happy that it ended well for Emiru and Tsugumi but I wish Emiru had woken up.

This show had it's good parts but also a lot of bad ones. Most of all it was way too long and repetitive. I give it a 6/10.
Jan 27, 2021 5:48 PM

Mar 2016
An interesting concept and world, and a series of very strong episodes, only for it to turn into the same ol' 'becoming one' thing at the end. Anime is sure obsessed with that. I enjoyed the show quite a bit, but it had potential to be so much more considering the ideas they were playing around with initially (death, regret, revenge and stagnation) and how that is represented by the Lightless Realm and 'Necrometal.' Aoshi's death feeling so insignificant and distant, especially from Akashi's perspective, was when I started to feel disengaged. That was probably the turning point for the worst. Too many flashbacks too, though I had no problems with the pacing.

Too much focus on Tsugumi as well Her being made to be essentially blameless dulls the entire conflict. A desire for revenge causes her untold suffering, but the series seems to want to justify it. So what the fuck is it trying to say?
syncrogazerJan 27, 2021 6:06 PM
Apr 15, 2021 9:42 AM
Jan 2017
Just finished today..
from the first episode it feel like has a strong taste of mistery, darkness, loneliness or kind something like that,
and then its going to few last episode when the mistery resolve its just feel very simple reason to make world fall into darkness made from island people revenge than make other people suffering in darkness, finnaly one of the character decide to make all people hearth become one to make they understand each other, but of course failed. using the power of warmness .
yeah at least its good ending for everyone ..
not a bad anime i think.
7/0
Jul 27, 2022 3:03 PM
Aug 2019
Why menashi still alive? , sorry but I wished for his death. Not bad ending though 7/10 .
Jul 29, 2023 12:02 PM

Dec 2022
Brilliant anime. Every event from start to finish is organised so smoothly and seamlessly that it feels like it's only a few minutes long, and it has an excellent grasp of both atmosphere and the human psyche. The use of the setting was also highly imaginative. My single problem with it is that some of the characters the series focuses on aren't as interesting as they were intended to be, which is really apparent in the later half of the series.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 19, 8:58 AM

May 2020
Well, it was a rather interesting watch, but went in quite a different direction than I thought it would.

Ideally, a show like this would have an arc that gives enough focus to every character from the main cast, say a few episodes of how Lightless Realm invades everyone's psyche and through this we are informed of their pasts, how they became who they are, what their hearts truly fear and so on. Instead, characters like Raika or Iwato didn't receive even hints of having backstories, Heito "murdered his parents", but we'll never know how and why. We got something for Emiru or Mahmu, but far too lacking in my reception. In fleshing out the pilots somewhat proportionally, M3 surely underdelivered.

Liked the dark artstyle and music, didn't mind the pacing of the first half (quite the opposite to be frank). Not something I'd rewatch for the story or great writing, but just for experiencing the tone alone - maybe?
PhobossusMar 19, 9:18 AM
I see. Your only option is to revolutionize the world.
Mar 21, 8:23 PM

Jul 2016
So they just let go the girl who was controlling the giant corpse even though she killed thousands of people,even the corpse was forgiven lol
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2014

45 by Phobossus »»
Mar 17, 7:41 AM

Poll: » M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

27 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 29, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2014

25 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 29, 2023 10:58 AM

Poll: » M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2014

25 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 29, 2023 10:27 AM

Poll: » M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2014

27 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 29, 2023 9:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.