Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 3, 2009 3:33 AM

Jan 2008
Oh well, mess of an episode. In the end they did cut Bradley's words from this scene: http://manga.bleachexile.com/fullmetal-alchemist-chapter-61-page-34.html

Even when not taking manga into account this episode feels rushed. They could easily make two eps about this massacre as it's important to the main plot.

3/5

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Nov 3, 2009 4:02 AM

Sep 2007
can't forgive the "burn my back" scene missing, since the scar on Riza's back has now no reason! :( it's a hole in the story!
Nov 3, 2009 6:06 AM

Jul 2007
HawthorneKitty said:
Who's Knox?

The doctor and side character, the one who takes care of Ran Fan and who took care of Ross "murder".

The one who was strongly hinted to have lost his family in some way, last episode.

HawthorneKitty said:
Just be glad they are giving Fullmetal Alchemist another go.

Why should I be glad? They had a wrong adaptation already, so doing it again compels them to do it RIGHT WAY. Its what fans and everyone should EXPECT for them. So far they did not do it RIGHT WAY.

HawthorneKitty said:

They're trying to present the anime in a way that is efficient and still draws in viewers that have not read the manga, and don't need to either.

Its neither efficient nor smart to include random recap episode instead of spending more time on Ishval which IS major plot point of series.

Its cynical, to say for least, to just gloss over the volume into which Arakawa put most of the work.

HawthorneKitty said:

They are doing a great job.

Sometimes they are(Stomach arc, Nina episode), sometimes they are not(Greed arc, Ishval, Cutting out everything about Ling and Ran Fan)

velcom said:

Unless I see any of that stuff being necessary to the plot then I aint going to take anything Fai said seriously.

Two Words: CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

Its necessary, not to mention that those character defining moments will be really helpful to explain the actions these characters will take in the future.

For example, explaining Riza's backstory should have been necessary, considering Riza and Mustang are currently even more important than Ed/Al in manga and a lot of things build up on what happened in Ishval.

Gran scenes defined his character, clearly showed on how regular soldiers feel about whole Ishval stuff and built up Bradley's personality(which is important thing, since Bradley is major player)

Hawk's Eyes explanation was needed as it adds a lot to Riza's cahracter and explains a lot of things that already happened.

velcom said:
I don't think Bones would cut out a whole bunch of stuff though if it actually 'needed' to be there.

You are talking about studio which has already cut out an entire introduction storyline for Yoki and entire introduction/first_appearance of Pride.

Oh and a lot of stuff about Riza and a lot of stuff about Ling/Ranfan/Mei stuff....

Oh and whole chapter of plot-developments for Hohenheim was cut too.

velcom said:
People really get to annoying whenever something is cut out of the Manga, seriously. In this case is does sound like they cut out quite a bit, but heck people complain when they cut out a small comedy scene and such -_-

Some of comedy scenes ARE important.

Imagine if Fuhrer did not have his "I gift you a melon" scenes.
Nov 3, 2009 7:01 AM

Mar 2008
Overall it was an okay episode, I forgot a lot from this part of the manga so I didn't really notice that they cut out so much.
Maybe the will still cover some it through flashbacks or something.

Btw, Kimbley's voice was weird, he should sound more crazy :s
Nov 3, 2009 7:19 AM

Aug 2008
Oh. I. Love. This.

Not the episode (I thought it was ok), but the reaction it seems to be eliciting from fanboys. The same fanboys who thought this series was the be-all-end-all show of the year not but 10, maybe even 5 episodes ago, now think it's bad and speak of dropping it. All the arguments about pace and character development had by people "who hadn't read the manga, and therefore don't know what they are talking about" are now being co-opted to the other side.

What a delicious twist of fate.

I'll just say (as I've said before) that you have to look at anime adaptations for what they are. Could the show be much more? Yes. That was apparent from episode one. But it has been very clear that the purpose of this reboot was to display the different plot development, as opposed to giving strong character development.

I guess it just took manga readers 30 episodes to realize this fact. Maybe now you can look at it for what it is, and make an educated (as opposed to idealistic) decision to continue the show.
Nov 3, 2009 7:37 AM

Jan 2009
Hawkeye sensei! : O Wat O.O
Wait.. Riza's got a bunch of Alchemy stuffs on her back? O.O
Oh well, at least her dog's called Hayate, so everything's fine : D
And Hayate got coffee in his face, for an understandable reason xD

Also, Armstrong looked quite broken down when erecting the wall capturing Ishbalans D:
And Kimblee.. he's one scary dude : /

Oh, look at that won't you.. Marcoh.. not nice xD..

And also,
noteDhero said:
Oh. I. Love. This.

Not the episode (I thought it was ok), but the reaction it seems to be eliciting from fanboys. The same fanboys who thought this series was the be-all-end-all show of the year not but 10, maybe even 5 episodes ago, now think it's bad and speak of dropping it. All the arguments about pace and character development had by people "who hadn't read the manga, and therefore don't know what they are talking about" are now being co-opted to the other side.

What a delicious twist of fate.

^This.. was awesome
OosranNov 3, 2009 7:46 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 3, 2009 7:43 AM

Feb 2009
velcom said:

I completely agree Hawthorne, I think the series has been great. I loved the first series but Brotherhood has been steadily on track to top it for me. People really get to annoying whenever something is cut out of the Manga, seriously. In this case is does sound like they cut out quite a bit, but heck people complain when they cut out a small comedy scene and such -_-

I complain because this could have been an absolute masterpiece, but it only turned out merely to be an OK episode. So much was left out that adds to the brutality and terror of the Ishbal experience. This episode should have been loaded with character development, and it wasn't.

Plot development is nothing without the character development to accompany it.

noteDhero said:
Oh. I. Love. This.

I had problems with the pacing from the beginning, but this took it to another level. This -really- should have been much longer.

As for character development, I've always felt Brotherhood was stronger in that respect from the beginning, because it took the time to develop other characters aside from Ed, Al, and Roy. This episode had the opportunity to continue in that direction, but it dropped the ball.

I wasn't expecting it to be 100% accurate to the manga; I was just hoping that it would track as closely as the series had up to this point.

Nov 3, 2009 9:28 AM

Aug 2009
really, manga is manga, anime is anime
don ever expect they'll follow 100%

the flow of FMA brotherhood is quite good, though they have cut a few important scene, but they still keep the right track.

Inuyasha: final act is the worst !!!
they cut too much, packed too much in 1 episode
the anime is like totally off the track!!

not believing, try it out, u'll definitely will c the total differences between FMA brotherhood and Inuyasha: final act

Nov 3, 2009 9:56 AM

Jul 2008
hmm it was good for me >_>
o wells time for another week's wait for the next episode lolz
Nov 3, 2009 9:58 AM

Jan 2009
ClearSinz said:
o wells time for another week's wait for the next episode lolz

It's painful isn't it? ಠ_ಠ
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 3, 2009 11:23 AM

Feb 2009
I am surprise there is that little post after the 30th release of FMA:B.

Anyway I so happy to see Hugues its been awhile.

Such a sad episode...
Nov 3, 2009 11:39 AM

May 2009
For someone who hasn't read the manga, I thought it was great.
Nov 3, 2009 11:42 AM

Feb 2009
It was an okay episode, but the amount of enjoyment I found in this series thus far, I shall add some leniency in my attitude with regards to this slightly boring episode. I mean we knew the gist of the Ishbal war, I was more hoping we would get more about something new, but that was wishful thinking I guess. I liked it, but it was just a long explanation, just some developement on Mustang and co. Next week looks slightly more intriguing, but its supposed to be another episode where they find something.
Nov 3, 2009 12:34 PM

Jan 2009
A really enjoyable episode, the plot didn't move at all but we got the information behind the Ishbal war, also the way Riza and Mustang met each other.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Nov 3, 2009 12:51 PM
Aug 2009
Overall a good espisode but as a few people already pointed out, i was also disappointed with the fact that they cut a few scenes, especially where Basque Gran shoots his superior officer.
ExilusMar 5, 2010 6:38 PM
Nov 3, 2009 2:20 PM

Apr 2008
Another shit episode, deviating from the main story. I can't stand that.
Nov 3, 2009 2:26 PM
Sep 2009
Fai said:
velcom said:
I haven't read the Manga, and though it sounds like they cut out a lot, the stuff they cut out doesen't really sound necessary so I could understand why they would. Sure I bet you all got a much better impact of what happened in Ishbal in the Manga but really I don't think we need to know every detail of what happened there for the series plot to develop. I knew everyone would complain this week after hearing that the Ishbal stuff was an entire novel. Won't be surprised if you all attack me for this comment either. Personally I thought it was a good episode, not amazing but still good. An episode doesen't suck purely cause it cut out content you liked from the Manga -_-

Die.

Riza and Roy character development = Necessary
Gran character development = Necessary.
Dr.Knox past = Necessary.
More accurate portrayal of that war = Necessary.

Everything was necessary.

The filler recap episode of hoho's dream was not necessary.

This should be considered a spoiler as they may and possibly will use many of these scenes on the future. Lol at you giving the episode a 1 based on the manga, this is the anime board, go to a manga board if you want to cry at every little change they make.
Nov 3, 2009 2:34 PM
Jun 2008
Wait, now Riza is pretending to be good? =S

Well, good episode.
Nov 3, 2009 2:55 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah um...I don't really understand all the hate for this episode. You people do realize if it were to follow the manga in it's entirety, FMA would never end right? They have to try and condense each chapter into each episode the best they can, so jesus people, calm down. I actually do read the FMA manga (I've read 20 volumes currently) and I think Brotherhood is going on a fast, but good pace for the manga.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
Nov 3, 2009 4:18 PM

Aug 2007
Ehh, I don't like to dwell on comparing the manga to the anime in these forums, but this episode could have been really great if it they'd expanded on this volume. It's kind of a disappointment that so much was glossed over. I mean, we get that filler episode of Hohenheim suuure, but they couldn't spend at least two episodes talking about Ishbal? Sad. I was really looking forward to the scenes about how Roy and Riza met and those that dealt with Armstrong, since he has one of the most emotional experiences in the war, imo.

Sigh. Adaptions.
Nov 3, 2009 4:29 PM

May 2007
Hm, so after reading all the comments, I went to take a look at that manga volume, and they really did leave some stuff out, while some other stuff they already animated in another episode. Yeah, they could have done a better job with the Ishval War. Still, I felt the episode was good enough, and the scene at the very end of Dr Macroh's body with the word Vengeance written in blood left a strong impression. :x

Nov 3, 2009 4:49 PM

Feb 2009
Benj-san said:
You people do realize if it were to follow the manga in it's entirety, FMA would never end right?

You make that sound like it's a bad thing. :)

Nov 3, 2009 4:51 PM

Aug 2008
Someone said it before, but I don't think anyone paid attention:
Don't you think it's possible that some more critical scenes are being held for a more dramatically relevant moment?

They clearly based this episode around Riza and Marcoh, and finally naming Kimblee. Basque Grand and the ice guy are dead. They can't be developed, so I don't get what the loss is on their part. Futhermore, I remember some people shitting on the first episode, and then also shitting on Basque's use in the first series (that could be failing memory). You don't seem to want an adaptation, you want a the manga animated. Compartmentalize those feelings and look at the anime.
noteDheroNov 3, 2009 4:59 PM
Nov 3, 2009 5:45 PM

Nov 2007
I did feel like this episode was a bit ahead. Liked it anyways.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Nov 3, 2009 5:57 PM

Apr 2009
I think it was a good episode. We get to see a glimpse of Hawkeye's "tattoo" so now people can start their speculations, and we get a solid re-telling of the ishval incident through Rizza's voice.

I don't see why we need to span episodes long on this subject like the manga did. It hit key points and I am sure some of the "edits" will show up later on in another flash back.

I enjoy the fact that the anime is giving us the story direction we were meant to see originally, what we don't need is a cell by cell animation of the manga IMO.
OmegaoverideNov 4, 2009 8:53 PM
Nov 3, 2009 6:03 PM

Apr 2009
ArnoldK said:
Benj-san said:
You people do realize if it were to follow the manga in it's entirety, FMA would never end right?

Actually the manga will be wrapping up soon but that has not been officially released. Its not a weekly series like some other manga, it is released roughly every 5 months with at least 4 - 5 chapters released at a time.

Even if FMA:B followed the manga line-by-line it would probably get us to about 100 episodes even. Hopefully the anime doesn't catch up too quick to the manga in that it will end up having to take a hiatus until the final chapters are serialized
OmegaoverideNov 4, 2009 8:54 PM
Nov 3, 2009 7:58 PM

Aug 2009
I'm gonna say that this episode wasn't bad, but they couldv'e done better.

I'm glad that they decided to make a second FMA. But I am still pretty disappointed with this episode, even with my expectations lowered. Perhaps if I hadn't read the manga before hand, my opinion would be different.
I still enjoyed watching it though and am still hoping that certain scenes will be shown in the later episodes.

At least they didn't fail entirely. I'd be more disappointed if they screwed up in the Gluttony's stomach arc, honestly.
Anyway, more things to look forward to.
Briggs anyone? 8D
Nov 3, 2009 9:04 PM

Dec 2008
Wow, what a discussion thread!

First off, I don't think the episode was bad. I actually thought it was a decent episode - a little awkwardly handled at times, perhaps, but overall, it did its job and that last scene was like a scene out of a horror movie - but, I don't read the manga so I really can't compare and/or argue about the relevancy of certain points that were missed in this episode.

However, an adaptation is an adaptation. It's NOT the same, and you cannot judge them by the same standards. Otherwise, you'll just be disappointed. Anime and manga are two completely different mediums, so the way the story is presented will be changed to suit the medium in (ideally) the best way possible.

First, I don't know what censorship is out there in Japan, but if the Ishbal massacre really was as brutal in the manga as some say, perhaps the anime had to cut down on the violence in order to air on TV. This is also pure speculation, but Japan may be more sensitive to images of war and massacres simply due to its history during WWII.

Second, I can imagine it's hard to see an entire manga volume condensed into one episode. However, like I said, anime and manga are two very different mediums. Depending on the manga, you can get through an entire volume in, what, 10-20 minutes? Therefore, to spend that amount of time in a flashback is not really so bad.

However, if this flashback was extended over two or three episodes, that's an entirely different story. Anything that shows up on screen needs to demand the constant attention of its viewers. The flashback adds character development, yes, but little in terms of plot development. If carried on for too long, the director risks losing the attention of his viewers, and so needs to come up with an alternative strategy to accomplish the main task of the episode/flashback and to carry on with the main, active plot. Perhaps part of this strategy was to prioritize which scenes to keep and which to cut, or as others have mentioned, show some of the lower-priority scenes at later times when they're more important to the main plot.

Me, personally? I might have gotten bored/tired of watching two episodes worth of flashback.

Again, purely speculation on my part since I have no way of talking to the director and asking why he did things a certain way, and I cannot argue whether certain cut scenes were vital to the main storyline. However, to drop a series because of one episode? Seems a bit harsh to me.
Nov 3, 2009 10:35 PM

Feb 2009
Aeterna said:

Second, I can imagine it's hard to see an entire manga volume condensed into one episode. However, like I said, anime and manga are two very different mediums. Depending on the manga, you can get through an entire volume in, what, 10-20 minutes? Therefore, to spend that amount of time in a flashback is not really so bad.

Double, perhaps even triple that for this volume. This is fairly heavy material that you can't really appreciate enough if you just breeze through it.

However, if this flashback was extended over two or three episodes, that's an entirely different story. Anything that shows up on screen needs to demand the constant attention of its viewers. The flashback adds character development, yes, but little in terms of plot development. If carried on for too long, the director risks losing the attention of his viewers, and so needs to come up with an alternative strategy to accomplish the main task of the episode/flashback and to carry on with the main, active plot. Perhaps part of this strategy was to prioritize which scenes to keep and which to cut, or as others have mentioned, show some of the lower-priority scenes at later times when they're more important to the main plot.

Me, personally? I might have gotten bored/tired of watching two episodes worth of flashback.

Perhaps not if the flashback itself was compellingly told enough.

It would have been a two week "sidestep" of the plot. The manga spread it over four months, and I'm not sure too many complained.

And hey, at least another episode for the Ishbal flashback would have been more interesting than episode 27, the "recap" episode...
ArnoldKNov 3, 2009 10:41 PM

Nov 3, 2009 10:51 PM

Apr 2009
Fairly good retelling in my opinion. Hawkeye's past, etc.
Vengeance at the end, haha
Nov 4, 2009 2:26 AM

Jul 2007
noteDhero said:

Don't you think it's possible that some more critical scenes are being held for a more dramatically relevant moment?

That would be 1/4 of all cut scenes.

I could see Riza/Mustang bg being incorporated later or Dr.Knox "telling" his story latter, however everything else is impossible to be included.

I can't possibly think of place where anime writers could incorporate scene of

Some of the moments are lost forever and at the break-neck pace they are currently going I just can't see where they would include those.

Knox past will most likely be glossed over and will never be actually seen.

Riza's past, well maybe we will get a bout 30seconds of info on it, considering we already were shown that tattoo.

Saduj said:

This should be considered a spoiler as they may and possibly will use many of these scenes on the future. Lol at you giving the episode a 1 based on the manga, this is the anime board, go to a manga board if you want to cry at every little change they make.

And what exactly did I spoil?

And seriously? Using these scenes in future?

Did that ever happen in this adaptation?

They never "used" cut out Dr.Marcoh scenes.

They never used the incredibly epic Ling/RanFan Vs Gluttony/Pride fight they have cut out.

They never used Coal Mine introduction to Yoki, they cut out.

They never used the original introduction chapter of Mei.

Stop being naive, please.
Nov 4, 2009 5:03 AM

Apr 2009
this thread should be closed..

the anime FAILED .. period.
i just read the volume and it was pure Win...

they obviously failed at life -_-

scored from 10 ->9
Nov 4, 2009 5:59 AM

Dec 2008
This episode felt shallow, too many important things were skipped. I don't get it, it's not exactly a children show so why did they do it? I hope this doesnt happen again. <_<
Nov 4, 2009 12:25 PM

Jan 2009
Oh and a small and subtle question, at what chapter can I start reading the manga after having seen this far in the anime? xD I can't keep my curiosity at bay, gotta start reading xD...
Nov 4, 2009 12:46 PM

Jul 2008
Oosran said:
Oh and a small and subtle question, at what chapter can I start reading the manga after having seen this far in the anime? xD I can't keep my curiosity at bay, gotta start reading xD...
I'd start from 57/58 - skim through 57 quickly, and read 58-62 for the actual story of the war, 62 being the official start of new material.

BEGINNER
Nov 4, 2009 1:09 PM

Jan 2009
adamantine said:
Oosran said:
I'd start from 57/58 - skim through 57 quickly, and read 58-62 for the actual story of the war, 62 being the official start of new material.

Okay thanks, guess I'll start reading during the weekend, got stuffs to do tomorrow and friday
Nov 4, 2009 1:31 PM
Sep 2009
Wow. They cut WAAAAY too much out. I knew they couldn't do Ishbal justice in a single 23-minute episode - this should have been split between episode 30 and 31. Seriously, the manga isn't even finished - why do they need to speed through one of the best parts? Surely doing a two-part Ishbal storyline would give them more breathing room if the manga goes on a little longer than expected (which was my theory on why they did that stupid recap episode a couple weeks ago).

The sad thing is, the parts they DID leave in were done very, very well, which makes me very upset when I think about what they could have done with the parts they cut. I suppose it's possible that some scenes they cut could be repurposed for later flashbacks, but that seems unlikely to me.

Sigh ... 3/5.

--edit--

Oh, and they really need to stop putting important scenes after the end credits. It's very frustrating.
ChainsawAshNov 4, 2009 1:34 PM
Nov 4, 2009 1:48 PM

Aug 2008
smokes said:
this thread should be closed..

the anime FAILED .. period.
i just read the volume and it was pure Win...

they obviously failed at life -_-

scored from 10 ->9

Please say that's sarcasm.
Nov 4, 2009 2:20 PM

Feb 2008
ArnoldK said:
Benj-san said:

Haha well it kinda would be because I don't want FMA to drone on and on like Bleach and others.
Nov 4, 2009 2:49 PM

May 2009
velcom said:
HawthorneKitty said:
Fai said:
velcom said:
I haven't read the Manga, and though it sounds like they cut out a lot, the stuff they cut out doesen't really sound necessary so I could understand why they would. Sure I bet you all got a much better impact of what happened in Ishbal in the Manga but really I don't think we need to know every detail of what happened there for the series plot to develop. I knew everyone would complain this week after hearing that the Ishbal stuff was an entire novel. Won't be surprised if you all attack me for this comment either. Personally I thought it was a good episode, not amazing but still good. An episode doesen't suck purely cause it cut out content you liked from the Manga -_-

Die.

Who's Knox? Not necessary to me. You're just fanboying the series too much. Just be glad they are giving Fullmetal Alchemist another go.

They're trying to present the anime in a way that is efficient and still draws in viewers that have not read the manga, and don't need to either. They are doing a great job.

exactly. Unless I see any of that stuff being necessary to the plot then I aint going to take anything Fai said seriously. I will admit to being wrong if it becomes true though. I don't think Bones would cut out a whole bunch of stuff though if it actually 'needed' to be there.

I completely agree Hawthorne, I think the series has been great. I loved the first series but Brotherhood has been steadily on track to top it for me. People really get to annoying whenever something is cut out of the Manga, seriously. In this case is does sound like they cut out quite a bit, but heck people complain when they cut out a small comedy scene and such -_-

I can't believe I'm doing this, but in Fai's defense, a lot of those things he talks about ARE very important. Yes, this anime HAS been fantastic, but this episode was NOT up to par with the way most of the anime has been, let's face it, it was weak. I would have LOVED to see some development in the relationship between Riza and Roy. I would also have liked to know more about Dr. Knox. I haven't read the manga, and when he showed up, I was like "who the f*** is that?!" Some explanation as to his background would have been very helpful.

Now, while telling some to "Die" is definitely overreacting, his argument is completely valid, and it's not just that he's "fanboying the series too much." And damn straight, we could have done without the Hohenheim/recap episode. I hate recaps.
Nov 4, 2009 3:18 PM

Feb 2009
Benj-san said:
ArnoldK said:
Benj-san said:

Haha well it kinda would be because I don't want FMA to drone on and on like Bleach and others.

Well, from what I understand, the manga's going to be ending in a few chapters anyway. So "following the manga in its entirety" does not necessarily mean "droning on and on".

Nov 4, 2009 3:24 PM

Feb 2008
ArnoldK said:
Benj-san said:
ArnoldK said:
Benj-san said:

Well, from what I understand, the manga's going to be ending in a few chapters anyway. So "following the manga in its entirety" does not necessarily mean "droning on and on".

True, true.
Nov 4, 2009 8:16 PM

Sep 2008
Sayuri-Hime said:
velcom said:
HawthorneKitty said:
Fai said:
velcom said:

Die.

Who's Knox? Not necessary to me. You're just fanboying the series too much. Just be glad they are giving Fullmetal Alchemist another go.

They're trying to present the anime in a way that is efficient and still draws in viewers that have not read the manga, and don't need to either. They are doing a great job.

exactly. Unless I see any of that stuff being necessary to the plot then I aint going to take anything Fai said seriously. I will admit to being wrong if it becomes true though. I don't think Bones would cut out a whole bunch of stuff though if it actually 'needed' to be there.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but in Fai's defense, a lot of those things he talks about ARE very important. Yes, this anime HAS been fantastic, but this episode was NOT up to par with the way most of the anime has been, let's face it, it was weak. I would have LOVED to see some development in the relationship between Riza and Roy. I would also have liked to know more about Dr. Knox. I haven't read the manga, and when he showed up, I was like "who the f*** is that?!" Some explanation as to his background would have been very helpful.

Now, while telling some to "Die" is definitely overreacting, his argument is completely valid, and it's not just that he's "fanboying the series too much." And damn straight, we could have done without the Hohenheim/recap episode. I hate recaps.

Let me clear up what I was trying to say. Sure the episode was far from the best in this series, and yes the extra development would have made it much better and stronger. The points I am trying to make are that,

1. Even if the content made it develop a lot better, it doesen't seem as if it is all absolutely crucial to the story. Why would they cut content that would completely ruin the story of the series? They wouldn't that is why. They are trying to focus mainly on the story and are cutting out what they can. I would have liked it to be longer with all the other stuff, but still I can understand what they were trying to do and I still thought it was a good episode overall.

2. People need to stop overreacting when they cut out anything in a adaptation. They rave and rave about it until it cuts out one small scene and they all turn into freaking annoying whingers. How could this one episode destroy the entire series and make you on the verge of dropping it? seriously -_- How can you watch 30 episodes and then decide that the entire thing has been worthless because they cut out some content from one bit. No one has seen the entire series yet so no one can judge that it is ruined. Also people don't judge adaptations for the Anime series itself, they judge it in 'how good of a comparison it is'. It is something that makes me glad that I don't read Manga, this way when I watch them I can judge the series, for the series and not in comparison which is just a plain un-fair way to judge it. Cause this is the 'Anime' and NOT the Manga.

Also I definitely agree, the recap ep wasn't needed and that recaps do suck. But we can't do anything about it, just like how we can't do anything about content being cut. Just get over it, if you really love FMA then you will enjoy the Anime for what it is. An 'Anime' of FMA.
Nov 4, 2009 9:40 PM

May 2009
The people who've read the manga are allowed to feel unsatisfied because the manga obviously goes into much more detail than is possible (?) with the anime. For me, however, as I haven't read the manga, this episode was more than enough. Maybe it's because I've so far been just annoyed with Ishbal flashbacks. They've never showed much except the same "one bullet that started it all" thing. Things started to get better with the last episode where they revealed it to be Envy who fired that one bullet. This episode was much better in that there was a lot more shown; not like a revelation though, which is okay.

About the episode...

It was nice to get some physical background on Mustang other than his reasons for doing everything. His teacher, Hawkeye's father. Hawkeye's tattoo... though her pose in the second character card in the middle was kinda awkward. It was nice to see Hughes. Also interesting was when Roy/Hughes talk about their beautiful future and you can see blood splatter in the background. Symbolic I should say of how "beautiful futures" are forged. Kimbley's arguments actually made sense to me, not the enjoyment idea but why we must do it. It's simple. May Chang now likes Alphonse? lmao.

I also think people are overreacting because they left some panel from the manga out. You can't and you should expect them to adapt every single scene to the anime. That's just not interesting.
Nov 5, 2009 4:58 AM

Jul 2008
not much actin this week too. and the next one either. still a good thing to know the details about the ishbal war though. it also could be a important twist because of the tatoo on the back of hawkeye.

Nov 5, 2009 6:17 AM

Sep 2006
1 manga volume -> 1 anime episode ?!?!

Just win. If Naruto did this it can finish the anime in 50++ episodes flat.
Nov 5, 2009 8:17 AM

Sep 2008
ok ep ..

The past of Roy n Riza & Ishvalan war was shown ...

don't rly have anything to comment on ..

but for 1 manga vol to be in 1 anime ep .. it was pretty well done (even tho, I would've liked to c the cutted scenes, they seem to be amazing T_T)

So, Riza's father's results from expirements r the tatoos on Riza's back? *just guessing here = kinda looks like Scar's hand*

n Roy trying to go to his end ...

don't rly know what I should think 'bout this ep or the next one ...

4/5 ep ...
Kaito__KidNov 5, 2009 8:21 AM

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Nov 5, 2009 11:33 AM

Sep 2008
Massive cut is Massive.

Well kinda expect they (BONES) will put the cut-off scene in another chance...
Nov 5, 2009 11:46 AM

Jun 2009
velcom said:
Sayuri-Hime said:
velcom said:
HawthorneKitty said:
Fai said:
velcom said:
I haven't read the Manga, and though it sounds like they cut out a lot, the stuff they cut out doesen't really sound necessary so I could understand why they would.

Let me clear up what I was trying to say. Sure the episode was far from the best in this series, and yes the extra development would have made it much better and stronger. The points I am trying to make are that,

1. Even if the content made it develop a lot better, it doesen't seem as if it is all absolutely crucial to the story. Why would they cut content that would completely ruin the story of the series? They wouldn't that is why. They are trying to focus mainly on the story and are cutting out what they can. I would have liked it to be longer with all the other stuff, but still I can understand what they were trying to do and I still thought it was a good episode overall.

2. People need to stop overreacting when they cut out anything in a adaptation. They rave and rave about it until it cuts out one small scene and they all turn into freaking annoying whingers. How could this one episode destroy the entire series and make you on the verge of dropping it? seriously -_- How can you watch 30 episodes and then decide that the entire thing has been worthless because they cut out some content from one bit. No one has seen the entire series yet so no one can judge that it is ruined. Also people don't judge adaptations for the Anime series itself, they judge it in 'how good of a comparison it is'. It is something that makes me glad that I don't read Manga, this way when I watch them I can judge the series, for the series and not in comparison which is just a plain un-fair way to judge it. Cause this is the 'Anime' and NOT the Manga.

Also I definitely agree, the recap ep wasn't needed and that recaps do suck. But we can't do anything about it, just like how we can't do anything about content being cut. Just get over it, if you really love FMA then you will enjoy the Anime for what it is. An 'Anime' of FMA.

Really I mean really people.
Okay, let me consider something and do ahead tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

I have read most of the manga and in all reality I feel that most of you are overreacting. There are scenes that I would love to see it in, but I know that there some are not going to make the cut. They are just things I want to see. First I ask you to reevaluate your opinions based on what is actually important and what you would like to see. Everyone is really upset about that Gran scene. Is it you want it because it heightens how bad the war was or because you care about Gran. Either way he was an undeveloped character this time though so you might just have to take what you can get.

Yes I know I know they have been cutting Roy/Riza Ling/Ran fan scenes. But They have been cutting them all along, you a letting your hatred for something that you have no control over get ahead of you. Really, seriously you would drop this whole series because you didn't think they choose the best scenes. Either you are used to getting what you want in life or you think that your ranting will change the course of the anime. I know it sucks, but that was the way the episode was. Take it or leave it. They have been hinting Ishbaval the whole time. So perhaps they just didn't want to go into it anymore. I don't know, I wasn't at the episode writing.

Seriously I agree with velcom If you got this far into it and now decided sense they didn't write the episode the way you wanted that is the end of the world. Then please go ahead and drop it. But why, that is my question...you had to have known it wouldn't be perfect.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Nov 5, 2009 4:09 PM

Aug 2008
Hawkeye is amazing.

Awesome episode.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.