Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 1, 2009 1:42 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I don't know... I liked this episode in general but I don't think they adapted it too well. They cut out several scenes and such. I'm not surprised since they tried to cram an entire volume into one episode.

In particular I was annoyed by (mild ranting under the spoiler tag)
adamantineNov 1, 2009 1:45 AM

BEGINNER
Nov 1, 2009 1:45 AM

Dec 2007
Few things after watching raw:
- Ok, maybe they don't hate Riza - two eyecatches ;)
- And now WTF with those changes?!
- Honestly they cut out way too much -.-
- And why oh why they changed the scene when Mustang meets Riza in Ishval >.<
- Hey, wait, I know I don't understand Japanese but there wasn't "please burn my back", was it?
- Well, I really don't know Japanese at all but there also wasn't "can I entrust my back..."
- Now, they rushed through this, well, VOLUME! Way too many things left -.-
- I don't know why but now I feel like Kimbley's voice doesn't sound like Kimbley
- Woohoo, Olivier in cm! Now, now who is her seiyuu?
- I really wanted hear Roy calling her "RIZA" T^T
Nov 1, 2009 1:46 AM

Jul 2008
Alzea said:
- Woohoo, Olivier in cm! Now, now who is her seiyuu?
I flipped when I saw Olivier. I can't wait until she appears in the anime.

BEGINNER
Nov 1, 2009 4:38 AM

May 2008
argh, cant wait
Nov 1, 2009 7:37 AM

Jul 2007
adamantine said:

And THIS is exactly why I rate this episode 1, drop the series score to 7/10 and am on the verge of dropping this shit altogether...
Nov 1, 2009 8:31 AM

Jun 2008
It's some time ago that i read the manga, but i don't see them maiming it.
Telling the story to this point in 30 episodes is only possible by condensing it.
As i want to see Olivier in action asap, that's fine with me.
Nov 1, 2009 5:07 PM

Jun 2009
I don't mind it being ALITTLE different from the manga, its not so bad if a few scenes are added or taken out.
And it looks like Marcoh is going to have one hell of a headache ! XD
Nov 1, 2009 7:22 PM

Aug 2009
adamantine said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I don't know... I liked this episode in general but I don't think they adapted it too well. They cut out several scenes and such. I'm not surprised since they tried to cram an entire volume into one episode.

Took what I was gonna say XD

Yes, i was quite annoyed. I can't say I hate this episode, but I definitely can't say i like it either.

Meh well, enters Olivier, soon. 8)

Nov 1, 2009 7:38 PM

Feb 2009
They blew it. They had the opportunity to make this into something amazing, and they blew it.

I've been loving FMA: Brotherhood so far- had I rated the series prior to episode 30 I would have rated it 10 out of 10, and I don't give tens out very easily. Now I'm not so sure.

I've always attested that this needed to be at LEAST two episiodes to be properly done, and this confirms it. Hell, looking at how they breezed through things in this one episode, maybe they needed -three-.

So much of what made the original manga compelling was removed. There, you really got to see the weight of the atrocities being committed, and how everything affected everyone involved- Hughes, Mustang (especially Mustang), the Rockbells, Scar, Hawkeye, Marcoh, Knox, etc. The key to making the original story so great was that it took the time to build on you- and by the end you really appreciate how weary and emotionally drained and disillusioned the characters were because of the war.

They removed or glossed over key powerful moments from the manga:

I could go on.

And not just that, they had to cut so much of the drama but had to keep the jokes. In fact, they had to end the episode with a joke from a later chapter which totally feels out of place and adds nothing at all to the episode. I liked that moment at the end with Al and May Chang, but I liked it where it originally was meant to be, not in here.

For those who have not read the manga yet, whether you enjoyed this episode or not, read manga vol. 15, chapters 58-61. Well worth the effort, and much better than this.

It's a shame, they were doing spectacularly up until this point.
ArnoldKNov 1, 2009 7:52 PM

Nov 1, 2009 10:29 PM

Jun 2009
Actually I change my mind,
I will not argue this with everyone.
Go ahead complain to your hearts content...

Just so that you know, the missed the First Hawk's eye joke, I knew they would miss this one too.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Nov 1, 2009 10:55 PM

Jul 2007
At this rate, question for manga readers: At around what episode will Brotherhood finish (an estimate would be ok)
Nov 1, 2009 11:02 PM

Jul 2008
Suzune-chan said:
Just so that you know, the missed the First Hawk's eye joke, I knew they would miss this one too.
It was really a joke. It was seriously said by Hughes after Riza killed the sniped the guy about to kill Roy and Hughes. :|

Most people are disappointed since they condensed an entire volume in one episode - and not just any volume, but the volume that gave us backstories of the main adult cast. It glossed over many scenes and sort of toned it all down (maybe to please censors?). The episode itself wasn't really bad or anything (I gave it a four) but it was definitely not as powerful as the original source. Arakawa even talked to war veterans to get this volume right. From the Viz translation:
In researching this volume, I interviewed veterans who been at the front during World War II. I read countless books, examined film footage, and listened to many detailed and intense stories firsthand, but the one comment that affected me the most came from a former soldier who lowered his gaze to the tabletop and said, "I never watch war movies."

BEGINNER
Nov 1, 2009 11:05 PM

Oct 2009
Quite different from the manga...don't really like it thou...
Nov 1, 2009 11:26 PM

Apr 2008
haha .. Al talking bad about Ed xD

Nov 2, 2009 12:31 AM

Apr 2009
i dont read manga tho by the comments i see they cut a lot o_O

maybe they left smth for the next episodes ? tho i doubt it...

2/5
Nov 2, 2009 1:41 AM

Mar 2009
disappointed.
Nov 2, 2009 2:04 AM
Jul 2008
After reading the comments here, that a lot has been cut, I stared reading the manga, intending to read the Ishbal Flashback only, but instead, I'm stuck on the manga, and can't stop reading :D
Am waiting for eclipse's version to come out to judge the episode with the manga.
Nov 2, 2009 2:59 AM

May 2009
Fai said:
adamantine said:

And THIS is exactly why I rate this episode 1, drop the series score to 7/10 and am on the verge of dropping this shit altogether...

Isn't that being too hotheaded ? I wouldn't drop the whole series when it had 28 great episodes, you wouldn't know what you probably would miss. ( And it isn't exactly that shitty. )

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed too. They cut out some sceens that made moments more dramatic. And gawd, they cut out the whole Armstrong scenes, I was so pissed. Not even mentioning they cut out Gran shooting his superior. It left me like this -> O_O
Nov 2, 2009 3:06 AM

Aug 2009
I don't read the manga so I have no idea of what the episode is missing. Oh well, still a decent episode to me.
Nov 2, 2009 4:01 AM

Jul 2009
Even without reading the manga I can still see this episode have been terribly cut down and left out many vital parts
And it definitely didn't clear up the past as much as I'd hoped.

Overall a decent episode but nothing more.

Though I smiled a bit at Edward's reaction when Riza mentioned Winry and how she must be very important to him =P
Nov 2, 2009 4:47 AM

Jul 2007
Nanakogin said:
Isn't that being too hotheaded ? I wouldn't drop the whole series when it had 28 great episodes, you wouldn't know what you probably would miss. ( And it isn't exactly that shitty. )

I enjoyed this series because it was closer to manga and developed better than FMA1. For that I could forgive all the things they cut out before Ishval Flashback.

I could(with clenched teeth) deal with them cutting out all Ling/RanFan scenes.. or cutting Riza scenes, or Marcoh scenes...

However this episode was really top of the whole "let's cut out stuff, yay" deal.

Ishval Wars was the arc where your outlook towards Gran changes towards better(considering before Ishval one would look at him as bastard and after Ishval flashback Gran would look like a hero)

Its also the arc which defines Roy/Riza relationship and shows us the roots of hate-to-love development of Roy and Riza, not to mention giving bg to Riza and Flame Alchemy.

Heck with how much time they spent on Ishval in OP, I expected this to be atleast 3-4 episode arc where we get everything from manga + anime-original flashbacks about Joliot Comanche and Isaac.

Instead we get one terribly compressed episode with none of that.
Nov 2, 2009 5:40 AM

Feb 2009
neverless said:
At this rate, question for manga readers: At around what episode will Brotherhood finish (an estimate would be ok)

Given that it's at 100 chapters and is starting to really wind down, probably 50 something episodes at this rate. They're going through about 2 chapters an episode.

Why they decided to -increase- that rate, though, for one of the most powerful and important stories in the series (Ishbal), I have no idea.

Nov 2, 2009 6:36 AM

May 2009
Fai said:
Nanakogin said:

I enjoyed this series because it was closer to manga and developed better than FMA1. For that I could forgive all the things they cut out before Ishval Flashback.

I could(with clenched teeth) deal with them cutting out all Ling/RanFan scenes.. or cutting Riza scenes, or Marcoh scenes...

However this episode was really top of the whole "let's cut out stuff, yay" deal.

Ishval Wars was the arc where your outlook towards Gran changes towards better(considering before Ishval one would look at him as bastard and after Ishval flashback Gran would look like a hero)

Its also the arc which defines Roy/Riza relationship and shows us the roots of hate-to-love development of Roy and Riza, not to mention giving bg to Riza and Flame Alchemy.

Heck with how much time they spent on Ishval in OP, I expected this to be atleast 3-4 episode arc where we get everything from manga + anime-original flashbacks about Joliot Comanche and Isaac.

Instead we get one terribly compressed episode with none of that.

Well, you made your point.
So wait, wait. You got me confused. Who are Joliot Comanche and Isaac ? And I didn't get what you said about Gran (-.- yeah yeah I'm kinda slow )
Nov 2, 2009 6:45 AM

Jul 2007
Nanakogin said:

Well, you made your point.
So wait, wait. You got me confused. Who are Joliot Comanche and Isaac ? And I didn't get what you said about Gran (-.- yeah yeah I'm kinda slow )

Joliot is the silver alchemist scar killed.

Isaac is the "ice alchemist" from the episode 1.

They both participated in Ishval Annihilation and one of previous flashbacks even hinted that we would get a bit more from that(the still flashback where you see them standing alongside mustang)
Nov 2, 2009 7:07 AM

Dec 2007
Nanakogin said:
And I didn't get what you said about Gran (-.- yeah yeah I'm kinda slow )
Well, when we saw Gran in the earlier eps he might look like a bastard, especially when you were watching FMA1 you might think like this. Here he is exact opposite of a bastard. You and anyone else who want to know what we mean about Gran and why manga readers complain so much just should go and read volume 15, it's all about Ishval, actually this one volume is only about it, you won't get spoiled or anything. It explains everything.
And yeah, I think it's stupid trying to animate a whole volume in one episode -.-
Nov 2, 2009 7:22 AM

May 2009
Gawd. I have no idea how you could remember all that. I can't even remember half of what happened in FMA 1 and I don't remember the Gran part (still in FMA 1). Not to mention I'm really bad with names.
Nov 2, 2009 7:39 AM

Apr 2009
The cut out some D: There was no Riza saving Roy&Hughes (btw, really happy to see him again x3), no 'burn my back'...and many more. But I was never one of the Ishval flashback lovers, so it doesn't matter for me. Overall still good, just not as good as manga.
Although Zolf-chan doesn't sound like I'd imagined.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 2, 2009 10:13 AM

Apr 2009
glad that i didnt read the manga :DD
i would be pissed off right now lol)
Nov 2, 2009 11:12 AM

May 2009
Alright episode. I was surprised that Hawkeye's father was Roy's teacher. I do like getting more background info on him and Riza, and it was good to see Hughes for a bit. From what people are saying, they left out a lot of stuff that was in the manga... I'm still working on reading it and in the very early chapters, SO.

Eh. 3/5
Nov 2, 2009 1:11 PM

Jul 2009
Not a great episode and they messed about with Riza's part in the war too much
Nov 2, 2009 2:09 PM

Nov 2008
Fai said:
adamantine said:

Agree! *rage* that was my favorite volume!...curse them.I cant understand why they gave it only 1 episode and cut all the good parts!!?!? I try hard not to rant more than this >_<. Tough i will continue watch this hahaha.
OxuNov 2, 2009 2:15 PM
Nov 2, 2009 3:01 PM
Apr 2008
Riza is my favorite femanle character in this anime by far.
Nov 2, 2009 3:45 PM
Aug 2007
since i hsvn't read the manga i think this was an ok ep, would've liked more riza/roy moments
Nov 2, 2009 4:04 PM

Apr 2009
Wtf was that they left so much out. -_-
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Nov 2, 2009 6:41 PM

Apr 2007
Ew Kimbley.

What a disappointing episode. I only remember a few details of what happened in this volume...and they cut most of that out. I was really looking forward to seeing it fully animated too :/ Oh well at least we're closer to seeing Olivier.
Nov 2, 2009 7:19 PM

Apr 2009
I just watched Eclipse's version, and I find it funny how my estimation of an episode can change based on the quality of the translation.

Eclipse is just so much better than Aoshen, it even felt as though the episode itself was better.
Nov 2, 2009 7:56 PM

Feb 2009
Well I didn't read the manga so I'm gonna trust you guys that this was rushed. They didn't really show what happened besides the obvious but I suppose we already have some details in flash back moments all along the show.
Nov 2, 2009 8:06 PM

Sep 2009
Is it too much to ask for a scene to scene adaption?
The Gran shooting, Hawkeye shooting that Ishablan attacking Roy and Hughes, Roy giving the big staredown to Bradley after the victory and Roy talking to his platoon after the victory. That last one would've driven home the point of him protecting the people below him.
And also a big tiff with me -It need MOAR Knox. He talk the story to Al and the Xing peoples too! Don't count him out! He was at Ishbal too! Don't cut him out! He's the best character! He was fucked up due to Ishbal too! He has the best Ishbal story! They better not cut out his story with his family. If they do, I'm going to be very angry.
I like Zolf.Jyayayaya Kimbley though. He's so deliciously evil.
Nov 2, 2009 9:39 PM

May 2008
Alphonse sama! rofl

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Nov 2, 2009 10:11 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
okay, you've all convinced me. I'm going to start reading the manga.

As a non-manga reader though, I still enjoyed the episode though it was mostly explaining what happened in the past.
p r o f i l e 👀
Nov 2, 2009 11:14 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Episode was pretty awesome.

Nov 2, 2009 11:21 PM

Jun 2009
Kimbley's sadistic laugh and Ed's shock was a highlight....i just don't get why the didn't split this part of the series into different parts when they had time to make a really bad made recap filler like episode...it felt very misplaced and only barely had the mood of a sad and depressing atmosphere. Apart from that,reasonable to watch.
Nov 2, 2009 11:28 PM

Sep 2008
I haven't read the Manga, and though it sounds like they cut out a lot, the stuff they cut out doesen't really sound necessary so I could understand why they would. Sure I bet you all got a much better impact of what happened in Ishbal in the Manga but really I don't think we need to know every detail of what happened there for the series plot to develop. I knew everyone would complain this week after hearing that the Ishbal stuff was an entire novel. Won't be surprised if you all attack me for this comment either. Personally I thought it was a good episode, not amazing but still good. An episode doesen't suck purely cause it cut out content you liked from the Manga -_-
Nov 2, 2009 11:50 PM

Feb 2009
I love this episode especially kumbly's scene
Nov 3, 2009 12:42 AM

Jun 2009
Oh Well... It was a fine episode for those who did not read the manga or was not comparing in any way :D. For those who do, take care :P. Maybe we might have an extension for the following few episode. (hopefully)
Nov 3, 2009 1:15 AM

Jul 2007
velcom said:
I haven't read the Manga, and though it sounds like they cut out a lot, the stuff they cut out doesen't really sound necessary so I could understand why they would. Sure I bet you all got a much better impact of what happened in Ishbal in the Manga but really I don't think we need to know every detail of what happened there for the series plot to develop. I knew everyone would complain this week after hearing that the Ishbal stuff was an entire novel. Won't be surprised if you all attack me for this comment either. Personally I thought it was a good episode, not amazing but still good. An episode doesen't suck purely cause it cut out content you liked from the Manga -_-

Die.

Riza and Roy character development = Necessary
Gran character development = Necessary.
Dr.Knox past = Necessary.
More accurate portrayal of that war = Necessary.

Everything was necessary.

The filler recap episode of hoho's dream was not necessary.
Nov 3, 2009 1:21 AM

Sep 2008
Fai said:
velcom said:

Die.

Who's Knox? Not necessary to me. You're just fanboying the series too much. Just be glad they are giving Fullmetal Alchemist another go.

They're trying to present the anime in a way that is efficient and still draws in viewers that have not read the manga, and don't need to either. They are doing a great job.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2009 1:37 AM

Sep 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
Fai said:
velcom said:

Die.

Who's Knox? Not necessary to me. You're just fanboying the series too much. Just be glad they are giving Fullmetal Alchemist another go.

They're trying to present the anime in a way that is efficient and still draws in viewers that have not read the manga, and don't need to either. They are doing a great job.

exactly. Unless I see any of that stuff being necessary to the plot then I aint going to take anything Fai said seriously. I will admit to being wrong if it becomes true though. I don't think Bones would cut out a whole bunch of stuff though if it actually 'needed' to be there.

I completely agree Hawthorne, I think the series has been great. I loved the first series but Brotherhood has been steadily on track to top it for me. People really get to annoying whenever something is cut out of the Manga, seriously. In this case is does sound like they cut out quite a bit, but heck people complain when they cut out a small comedy scene and such -_-
Nov 3, 2009 1:46 AM

Aug 2008
Fai said:

Die.

Keep your damn finger off the enter key, you are wasting space with your meaningless extra line breaks.

Nov 3, 2009 3:25 AM

Apr 2009
velcom said:
An episode doesen't suck purely cause it cut out content you liked from the Manga -_-

I'm a HUGE manga fan and I still enjoyed this episode. So I guess that's possible, and Velcom is right :)
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.