Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 27, 2014 8:04 AM
Oct 2012
I mean that both in terms of viewership and popular opinion.

Only 4000 people have completed this? Persona 4 is hugely popular, and the anime is on Crunchyroll, which has a gazillion subscribers. I figured more people would have watched it than that.

And that mean score? 6.95, compared to 7.81 for the 2011 series? That's got me scratching my head as well. My girlfriend and I are big fans of P4, and we both enjoyed this anime more than the last one. 2011 tried to faithfully adapt the main story, but it wasn't nearly as entertaining without the gameplay -- and the fights were just pathetic. By shifting the focus away from the murder mystery and dungeon crawling, we both felt that P4TGA was able to provide a more entertaining experience.

What do you guys think? Did you really prefer the story-focused 2011 anime over the fun and games of this one?
Sep 27, 2014 8:14 AM

Nov 2008
The 2011 anime is more popular because it's not complete garbage like this one.

P42011 was passable, though not great. P4GA made a boring, one-note character from the game take over the entire plot, to the point where she was thrown into scenes where she wasn't originally there... to the point where her well-being was the team's sole motivation (fuck those murders amirite)... to the point where she actually defeated the final boss.

The only slightly redeeming points of this shit were Adachi's episodes and the Christmas episode, if only because Marie was barely involved in the former, and didn't appear at all in the latter.
Sep 27, 2014 8:18 AM
Oct 2012
I didn't have a problem with the anime deviating from game canon. In fact, I welcomed it. Why shouldn't I? It's clearly an anime for people who've already played the game, or at minimum seen the other anime. We should all know the "real" story already; why would anyone want to watch the same thing twice? The scenes that were different were the scenes I enjoyed most.
Sep 27, 2014 8:22 AM

Nov 2008
It's cool if they wanted to deviate from canon, but they did it in the worst possible way.

The original P4's endearing ensemble cast was reduced to Almighty Perfect Princess Marie, Yu, and a bunch of worthless decorations. I actually kinda liked Marie in P4G, the game, but the anime single-handedly made me hate her.

They turned P4 into a bad self-insert fanfic, and I think the story deserves more respect than that.
Sep 27, 2014 8:30 AM

Mar 2014
BasedGodzilla said:
Persona 4 is hugely popular

Is it really? I just looked up sales numbers and neither the ps2 nor vita version sold more than 600k copies outside of Japan.
Sep 27, 2014 8:34 AM

Nov 2008
Rivalrun said:
BasedGodzilla said:
Persona 4 is hugely popular

Is it really? I just looked up sales numbers and neither the ps2 nor vita version sold more than 600k copies outside of Japan.

It's hugely popular for a niche game. Obviously, it's not a million-selling AAA title, but it's got one of the strongest cult followings in recent years.
Sep 27, 2014 8:43 AM

Mar 2014
Noellage said:
Rivalrun said:

It's hugely popular for a niche game. Obviously, it's not a million-selling AAA title, but it's got one of the strongest cult followings in recent years.
I never heard of this game before coming across this thread in recent posts, so I didn't know anything about it. But he made it sound like it was something I should know about, so I looked it up.

So basically, this game has a following like the Souls series?
Sep 27, 2014 10:03 AM

Oct 2007
It might have something to do with the 2011 anime actually maintaining the pretense of trying to adapt the games story instead of just being a blatant attempt to cash in on a popular license. Note that I didn't say attempted to care, but maintained the pretense of attempting to care. A-1 just kind of turned it into their usual Gary/Mary Stu half baked action but also sort of everyday life schlock they're all about of late with how they handled the character and story aspect of it. I'm not surprised they don't care though, I just didn't think my general dislike of Aniplex/A-1's exploitative tendencies could grow any stronger than it already is.

Persona 4: Golden is just another in a long line of shows by the company that really have no business turning a tidy profit outside of just the pre-established popularity of the brand. It just baffles me how people can continue to trust and support a company that clearly demonstrates time and again how little they care about anything other than the bottom line that is monetary gain. They don't care about their staff, or what people like about the source of the licenses they're exploiting in the first place, nor do they care much about fans in general. If anime fandom wasn't so twisted up and kind of blind to these sorts of practices I doubt they'd be as powerful a force in the industry as they've kind of scarily become.
PeacingOutSep 27, 2014 10:07 AM
Sep 27, 2014 10:53 AM

Mar 2014
One of the main issues I had with this show was how clumsily Marie was thrown into the story. She was one of my favourite social links in the game, and I think they could've done a much better job on that point. There were also other small details that bothered me (the fighting scenes for example), and that's why I only gave it a low seven. Persona 4 The Animation was much more entertaining for me to watch.

The anime adaptation from 2011 focused more on the actual plot and followed the original storyline pretty well, and was overall a very well done video game adaptation (if you don't count the art, heh). It was very easy to follow and understand the story even if you hadn't played the game.
Persona 4 The Golden Animation however is fanservice. People who have neither played Persona 4/Golden nor seen the first anime adaptation and are new to the Persona 4 franchise probably get really confused after episode 2 since Kishi & C:o decided to focus on the extra golden scenes and only mention the murders etc, and thus they decide to drop P4GA after 3-4 episodes.
Comic_SansSep 28, 2014 4:07 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 27, 2014 1:54 PM

Nov 2008
Rivalrun said:
I never heard of this game before coming across this thread in recent posts, so I didn't know anything about it. But he made it sound like it was something I should know about, so I looked it up.

So basically, this game has a following like the Souls series?

In that case, I simply must encourage you to give P4 a try, if you have the system for it. Unlike its anime adaptations, it's a well-written JRPG with buttloads of charm.
Oct 4, 2014 12:19 PM
Oct 2012
shadowtsunami said:
...most people who watched/played the original game/anime don't know where or how Marie fits in.

Isn't that the point? The anime shows who she is and how she fits in, or at least it tries to.

Anyway, P4TGA is a heavily flawed anime, but I personally thought the 2011 anime was worse. As a fan of the game, I already knew the story, so the only entertaining bits were the comic relief moments, which were far rarer than in this one. The combat could have been fun as well, but the anime handled it terribly. Everything to do with the TV-world, in fact, was just awful in the 2011 anime. The fights were pathetic, and Yu just pulled random personas out of his butt with no explanation for new viewers.
Oct 4, 2014 2:17 PM

Nov 2008
BasedGodzilla said:
Isn't that the point? The anime shows who she is and how she fits in, or at least it tries to.

It's a complete failure in doing that.

Actually, both the game and the anime are. The game gives you very few, insubstantial scenes with Marie, and expects you to accept her as "one of the gang" by the end. The anime goes the other extreme, and makes Marie the focal point of every single scene. She's not "one of the gang" here, either, since "the gang" is just "Marie and her pointless cheerleaders".

When it comes to Marie, I'd take less over more, but they're both poorly done.
Oct 6, 2014 9:09 AM

Jun 2008
As a fan of the Persona SERIES, the game is obviously better and adaptations of games never fulfill as much as the game does. That being said, P4GA was fine, I enjoyed it without taking it too seriously. It was fun and I knew that it was the extra scenes people didn't get to see in P4.

P4TGA was like a new game + with an alternate plot or maybe more of an extension.

Anyways, I think people judged it way too harshly.

In the end, what I want is an Accomplice OAV.
I ship things I want! Why? Because it's fun!
I post retarded shit at times, sorry-- my dumbness might infect you!Please be cautious of me!
I don't come with a security label!

My anime list hasn't been updated for a really long time, so it's not accurate!

Oct 6, 2014 9:46 AM

Mar 2014
EarlAlois said:
In the end, what I want is an Accomplice OAV.

There you go
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 7, 2014 4:55 AM
Jan 2012
I'm not surprise about less popular it is, as it is "side-story", and heavily need to understand the original before.
That's so limited audience. You need to play/watch P4 before and you need to like it before pick this up, which different from original anime where anyone can watch on it own.

However, I wasn't think P4GA is that bad. Actually, the only problem is they insert too much Marie,
I understand that she have less known than other girl which have their own 2 season anime episode and need to be more presented to be known to be compare, but this is too much hard sell.
Other than that, it's look ok, since I considered it as side-story from the beginning, so they don't have to reanimate the same scene.
Adachi episode is nice, some funny gag are good, and they remake the confusing true end episode into something better. (more better if not overly use Marie).

The score of P4GA is equal to 'Trinity Soul' right now, which I think it shouldn't be. At least P4GA still better and more respect to it original.

Edit : Just notice this version is A1 Picture instead of A.I.C. Asta, but it was the same Director. So it was him to blame.
AxlzOct 7, 2014 5:06 AM
Oct 8, 2014 10:32 PM

Apr 2014
The highs of the Golden Animation are higher than the 2011 adaption but the lows were lower than the 2011 adaptation. I have trouble deciding which is better or worse.

I REALLY like a lot of Golden, especially the Adachi episodes which not only adapted but improved upon the game, and its character interpretations of pretty much everyone was better. However -- HOWEVER -- the obsession with Marie really dragged down the latter half of the show. Like, I am OK with Marie being an important figure but. BUT. She became way more important than made any sense to be. Like, why did she need to be the focus of almost every scene? I felt like I was getting Marie-poisoning via Marie overdose. I started to resent half of each episode because it meant more of Yu talking to only Marie or thinking about Marie when there's so much more to their group dynamics.

*sigh* effing Seiji Kishi. How does he keep getting work?
Oct 10, 2014 6:58 AM

Mar 2014
I checked on Japanese amazon... doesn't look like it's selling well, they've already lowered the price
Nico- said:
Oct 26, 2014 2:36 PM

Sep 2011
Lots of people either A) Didn't play Person 4 Golden and only P4 so they don't understand what is going on, or who Marie is. Or B) People that outright hate Marie and want to start waifu wars.

If you take P4: Golden for what it is, which is an anime made solely to market P4:Golden; then it's a huge success. If you are going into this anime without knowing the Persona series then you will probably hate it. I thought it was okay, enjoyed it more than the older animation. Mostly because I thought the original one was too long and I wasn't a particularly big fan of P4's vanilla story.
Nov 7, 2014 8:31 AM

Apr 2014
Noellage said:
It's cool if they wanted to deviate from canon, but they did it in the worst possible way.

The original P4's endearing ensemble cast was reduced to Almighty Perfect Princess Marie, Yu, and a bunch of worthless decorations. I actually kinda liked Marie in P4G, the game, but the anime single-handedly made me hate her.

They turned P4 into a bad self-insert fanfic, and I think the story deserves more respect than that.

What would be the point of remaking the original anime?

Nov 21, 2014 10:07 PM

Feb 2014
I loved Persona 4 the game, but the anime just didn't do it for me. I think it was probably because the protagonist of the anime was a very different person than the protagonist I created with my choices and social paths in the game. It just felt wrong to me, but someone else might not get the same feeling depending on their in-game choices or if they didn't play the game first at all.

Persona 4: The Golden Animation comes off as very strange because it makes no attempt at retelling the story that the game/first anime did, but honestly after sticking with it through the first few episodes I found myself enjoying it infinitely more. I'm surprised it ever got made what with how little actual substance there is, but if you're already a Persona 4 fan, the Golden Animation is just a fun time with the series. Then there's Marie, who's exactly the sort of female lead the original Persona 4 was sorely lacking. Her presence really fills out the story in a great way.
Dec 25, 2014 1:57 PM

Nov 2008
LukeLC said:
Then there's Marie, who's exactly the sort of female lead the original Persona 4 was sorely lacking. Her presence really fills out the story in a great way.

I'm sorry but ????????????

Marie is not a lead anything, she's a side note. She's a last minute "shoved into the remake" addition. She brings nothing to the story, and she brings nothing to the cast dynamic. She's overdesigned, overacted, overwritten, and her story is overdone.

There is nothing good about Marie, and she's one of the chief reasons why this anime is complete garbage.
Dec 25, 2014 3:28 PM

Oct 2013
Animes based on games always turn out subpar to me. That is why I had no reason to even look at this.
Dec 25, 2014 3:34 PM

May 2014
Noellage said:
LukeLC said:
Then there's Marie, who's exactly the sort of female lead the original Persona 4 was sorely lacking. Her presence really fills out the story in a great way.

Marie is not a lead anything, she's a side note. She's a last minute "shoved into the remake" addition. She brings nothing to the story, and she brings nothing to the cast dynamic. She's overdesigned, overacted, overwritten, and her story is overdone.

There is nothing good about Marie, and she's one of the chief reasons why this anime is complete garbage.

This is the beauty of truth..., Marie is a fanservice item...
“Be the heroine of your life, not the victim.”
"Just don't overdo it"
*nods*
Jan 12, 2015 9:08 AM

Apr 2014
Noellage said:
LukeLC said:

She added a lot more lore to the world of Persona.

That alone makes her inclusion worth it.

Jan 12, 2015 9:34 AM

Oct 2014
I think simply because Persona 4 The Golden Animation comes off as a half-assed parody more than anything. At least it to me personally specifically in the anime. I just can't take the anime adaption seriously at all, and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

Person 4 The Animation was a lot more engaging, enjoyable and had a really solid likable cast. It's also just had better story-telling, knew when and when not to use comedic moments and was a lot more fun I think for a lot of people. Person 4 The Golden Animation's anime adaption apparently didn't get the memo on how to do most of any of those things right.

Anyways, that's all I really gotta say, other people have listed good reasons as well and it shouldn't be that big a deal which was is doing better to begin with to be honest.
Feb 1, 2015 12:25 AM

Nov 2012
I'm personally love this anime, I have fanboy-gasm every time I rewatched it. The story might not be quite appealing to the fans, but art style-wise this anime beats P4A hands down. If only they used this art style back then...

Now, if only I can save enough money to buy Vita...
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Aug 25, 2015 10:03 PM

Jul 2012
Rifaz89 said:
I'm personally love this anime, I have fanboy-gasm every time I rewatched it. The story might not be quite appealing to the fans, but art style-wise this anime beats P4A hands down. If only they used this art style back then...

Now, if only I can save enough money to buy Vita...

I also think the same. I'm a huge fan of persona 4, I've finished P3, P3P, P4, and P4G with P4G being my favourite.
I love this anime so much. I started of really epic and hilarious at the same time. The anime is made to cover all the events that are exclusive to P4G, that's why it's called P4GA, it's not a full adaptation. Lots of people are mistaking it and giving it bad scores. it's really sad to know that.

Also for the characters, people seems to dislike it. The MC was designed basically to have come from the NG+ instead from the beginning, assuming that P4A is the first playthough. Most of the choices that he makes in P4GA requires full stats (seems to be but maybe not) and I'd like to think of this version of Yuu as the original personality, as how Makoto is in P3Movie.

For Marie, I personally love her character. She might not be a major character in the game but, she's definitely has a bigger role than other side characters, therefore she is not a minor (older than 17) character. Jokes aside, her presence brings the new Hollow Forest in the game, a new Dungeon which a usual side character couldn't have brought. Therefore I wouldn't say she's really a minor character in the game.

I love how she became a major focus in the Anime, as I've known all the story from the games more than a few times, a fresh story would be awesome. Also Marie is freakin adorable, how could you hate her. Especially when she's voiced by HanaKana. My heart melts every episode of this Anime and it's just heartwarming.

It really breaks my heart apart to see how this anime is rated so lowly, considering that most people in MAL is probably not a persona fan it's probably understandable. But yeah, these are all my opinions.

IMHO
よろしく!
Nov 12, 2015 5:39 AM

Dec 2007
I'm not into games so I haven't played the Persona as well but I enjoyed the other series. At this point I'm at episode 4 and am already considering dropping P4GA. Reason: Marie! She's annoying, as someone already mentioned, over everything, too flashy, the story so far centers around her which made all other characters lose their individuality. The plot became dry and still compared to the dynamic P3. Naoto hasn't appeared yet either. The anime was turned into a standard cheesy slice of life with an overly annoying protagonist.
Nov 12, 2015 7:12 PM

Apr 2014
Enjyu said:
I'm not into games so I haven't played the Persona as well but I enjoyed the other series. At this point I'm at episode 4 and am already considering dropping P4GA. Reason: Marie! She's annoying, as someone already mentioned, over everything, too flashy, the story so far centers around her which made all other characters lose their individuality. The plot became dry and still compared to the dynamic P3. Naoto hasn't appeared yet either. The anime was turned into a standard cheesy slice of life with an overly annoying protagonist.
Watch it for the Adachi episodes. THEN drop it.
Mar 21, 2016 1:49 PM

May 2013
Once again MAL confirmed for shit taste. How is golden so much lower than the 2011 one is beyond me.
Thank god for based A-1 actually making this good, I was worried for a sec the characters were going to be wasted on that anime.
Mar 26, 2016 3:05 AM

Nov 2013
It can't be work as standalone but rather a pure fanservice for the fans. If I haven't known the game this will be very boring and unbearable to watch. Even the new scene didn't follow the game faithfully. I personally think the A-1 and its 1 cour restriction should take the blame for this.

Although many things are left out the 2011 version was solid and I enjoyed it throughfully. And surely I'd prefer that than this one.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Apr 2, 2016 6:54 PM

Jul 2012
currycurry said:
Enjyu said:
Watch it for the Adachi episodes. THEN drop it.

I love Hanazawa Kana
よろしく!
Apr 7, 2016 1:15 PM

Nov 2013
Loogs said:
The 2011 anime is more popular because it's not complete garbage like this one.

P42011 was passable, though not great. P4GA made a boring, one-note character from the game take over the entire plot, to the point where she was thrown into scenes where she wasn't originally there... to the point where her well-being was the team's sole motivation (fuck those murders amirite)... to the point where she actually defeated the final boss.

The only slightly redeeming points of this shit were Adachi's episodes and the Christmas episode, if only because Marie was barely involved in the former, and didn't appear at all in the latter.

This. I dropped Golden after Episode 4, I couldn't stand Marie much longer. I don't know about her in the game, since I only played the original, but in this adaption she's pretty horrible. And saying that P4A is worse than Golden, is just ridiculous. Plus I don't know why some people complain about the art/animation of P4A, I think it is fine.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jul 8, 2023 9:16 PM

Aug 2017
I loved the P4G show. Gonna watch the original show soon.

More topics from this board

» Best Girl?

BokukkoFan - May 30, 2023

13 by hikkiyuki »»
Aug 3, 2023 12:06 AM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Golden Animation Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

51 by miniluluka03 »»
Jul 17, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Golden Animation Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

99 by miniluluka03 »»
Jul 17, 2023 10:52 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Golden Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

63 by 0451 »»
Jul 9, 2023 12:19 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Golden Animation Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

41 by CarbonMD »»
Jul 8, 2023 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.