Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 11, 2009 5:20 PM

Sep 2009
This first arc was powerfull, did we like it or not.
Aoi Bungaku is not my preferred kind of anime, but I really liked it.

(but right now I´m going to watch something cutiest or funniest, to not lose my sense of optimism ^^)
Nov 11, 2009 10:41 PM
Mar 2008
noteDhero said:
It was just bad. I've never seen a show chop itself off at the legs so abruptly. Honestly, this arc could have been a great 11 or 12 episode show that would have really done wonderful things. Oh well.

They're doing a directors cut movie of the "No Longer Human," so that might fix up the poor pacing issues with extra content.
Nov 12, 2009 1:48 PM

Oct 2009
BitchMaster said:
Er....Well, I guess "Your anger is only making my p**** harder" can be applied here?

~So~ At the end, his girl is her eh? Not bad of a choice, I guess, she looks sexy and all... LOL

PS: Bar woman making appearance near the end= Me happy (^_^)b

you have problems..

back on topic what a depressing ass episode

was really good i was quite shocked when he found out about his wife quite sad

brilliant ep! moar plz :P
Nov 15, 2009 12:30 AM

Sep 2009
i feel so sorry for yozo
his dad dies and he drowns himself in alcohol then says all he needs is his wife
and then finds her sleeping with his boss
this episode made me so depressed..

Nov 15, 2009 2:46 AM

May 2009
I thought this first arc was amazing - really dark and depressing. The plot and main character was intruiging. Art and animation was superb as well as the music.

I hope the second arc will be able to keep up with this one.
Nov 28, 2009 8:20 PM

Jul 2008
God damn.

This anime is brilliant.
I didn't read the entire thread, so I'm unsure if there was a conclusion reached about his wife. I personally believe she was raped, but either way that scene got to me. Really sad.
Poor guy; seeing all of that misfortune made me pity him. I'd go insane too if I went through all that.
This anime is amazing so far, looking forward to the next arc.
Nov 29, 2009 3:28 PM

Jun 2007
Well that was a really sad episode. From the moment Youzou's friend entered the house and started to eye his wife I could tell something was going to happen to her. Like Youzou says, "shes naturally trusting".

Youzou's personality and the way he's acted from episode 1 to now is understandable. He was sexually abused by women when he was at a young age. He's been used by his "friends" for money since he comes from a rich family. He's been used by his own care taker just for money. Women use him because of his good looks. He drinks to try and relive himself from that suffering. It's no wonder he's so detached from the real world and wants to kill himself. He's never had anyone actually love him before...well except for that women writer and her daughter but he ignored their feelings completely and jumped to the next girl that showed him the slightest form of affection.

As for Youzou's latest wife being raped so he could sell managa...I think there's more to it than just that. I highly doubt she just offered herself to the editor as a way to make money. I believe one day the editor came by to see Youzou but ended up raping Youzou 's wife. Then threatened to fire Youzou if she told anyone. I think this became a regular thing where he'd come by, rape her, and then pay Youzou via his manga paycheck.

Youzou's wife says "why didn't you save me". I don't think she was just referring to that instant where he saw her getting raped. I think she was referring to the very start of it all. If Youzou payed a little more attention he would have noticed the editor was targeting his wife and that something was wrong. In any case Youzou's wife cried when she was being raped and she even attempted to kill herself since Youzou no longer trusted her. I'm 90% sure she never intended to sell her body to anyone and that she really did love Youzou. She just got stuck in a situation that she had no control over. Women in that time period had really no say in anything and being raped was a sign of damaged goods.

I'd be just as mad and sickened if I was Youzou and found my boss having his way with my wife.

PS. was that really the bar women at the end with a kid paying a complement to Youzou? If it is, I wonder if that was his kid? He did the bar women a billion times after all.
Dec 3, 2009 1:19 PM

Mar 2008
I didn't like this arc very much. The art, animation, music and other technical stuff were good, but that was expected in a project like this, that adapts classic novels.

The problem I had with it is that I couldn't relate with Yozou and the arc is all about his drama. I also couldn't believe that many women would go to such lengths for him and still think of him as a poor devil.

I know he went through a lot, but his biggest problem is that he had the wrong idea. He was waiting for someone to save him and was putting his hopes in other people. But people are flawed and they eventually will let you down. It happened with his "daughter" and with his last woman (even though she did it for him).

He was the only one who could save himself. I've read someone bashing a certain blonde ninja, but he had it ifgured out. The black swordsman got it too.

I could have realted with him if he went down fighting, but he always ran away.

But then again, the point of the arc was showing Yozou in a spiral descent until he was no longer human. THe funny thing is that while he was feeling less and less human, the women around him were considering him a kind of saint, or a superior human.
Dec 15, 2009 8:20 PM

Nov 2007
So that's what was going on ... yeah I'd have to agree with the angry people but still this piece of work was animated really well if it can elicit this type response, hmm wonder if the next few episodes although different works will be as effective.
Jan 3, 2010 10:53 AM

Mar 2008
Damn, that was heavy.

I believe he killed himself in the end. He went to the drug shop and asked for something that could rid of his pain. The only thing that can TRULY release a person from his/her pain is death.
Strife91Jan 3, 2010 10:05 PM
Jan 3, 2010 11:39 AM

Sep 2009
She fooled me. I thought she was an honest woman, and that there would be at least a tiny bit of hope for the guy.

Ah, well. On to the next episode.
Jan 6, 2010 1:51 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I have to say something after watching the first arc. This anime is very stylish and inclined to an art-house, that's why I can't understand why there are so many 10 ratings. I don't mean this story is hard to understand, no, but not everyone can feel this story. To feel it deeply: 1) some of your traits must be similar to ones that Oba has at the moment when you're wathing No Longer Man 2) your soul must be pure, so you can understand and feel almost any kind of art (there aren't many people like these).

I mean, this story is just about infantile person who shifts the blame on others and doesn't want to rule his life. Every such person can live its life with many dramatic events that are 'caused by some kind of person's mental illness, and that's somelike... trivially, maybe. The main advantage of No Longer Man is realistic psychology, but if you are mentally healthy person (like the artist who bacame a soldier and came to Oba in the 4th episode), then your thoughts will be similar to his thoughts: there's no place for Oba's state of mind in real life. He just wore his cloak and went making some real things in real life. Without cothurnus and useless empathy to Oba. So am I.
MaxCrankJan 7, 2010 9:02 AM
Jan 13, 2010 11:01 PM
Jun 2009
This series made me realize how cruel the world really is, and it's not easy to live in this world especially in Yozo's case...,

Second time iv'e watch an anime that shows some reality,
Jan 15, 2010 11:27 PM

Aug 2009
aezakmi2494 said:
This series made me realize how cruel the world really is, and it's not easy to live in this world especially in Yozo's case...,

Second time iv'e watch an anime that shows some reality,

Yup, Real Hardcore stuff

Jan 26, 2010 3:47 PM

Sep 2008
[blindrage]How dare he taint Mamiko Noto! She was a true goddess, above all others and he had to drag her down to his own measly level! He deserved to die! I don't think my heart will be able to mend itself from seeing such cruelty being done to Mamiko Noto.[/blindrage]
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 2010 1:52 AM

Dec 2009
I liked "No Longer Human" overall, but this was probably my least favorite episode of the 4. It just felt a bit too rushed to me.

I did like the exchange in the hospital between the woman & his caretaker:
"That kind of trash, if I wasn't looking after him..."
"Which one of you is trash? The Yo-chan that we know is..very honest, and sensitive...If he would just stop drinking...No, even so..He was as wonderful as a god."

I felt like when she was asking which one of them was trash, it kinda underscored what several others before me have said about how harsh the world seems to have been to Yozo, especially in terms of how the people that have surrounded him seem to negatively impact his life. His father, the women who abused him as a child, the woman he helped commit suicide, his supposed caretaker, his so-called friend..Then there are ones who sort of unintentionally hurt him--like the little girl who basically said he didn't qualify as a "real father" and even his wife, on whom he had (quite unfairly) placed the burden of "saving him," which she was ultimately unable to do.
I also found it curious that the woman ended with comparing him to a god--something that would usually be considered more than human (but still removed from humanity)...

But, anyway...
I really liked the art in this. I liked that it was darker and more serious in tone and that it dealt with some complex emotions and ideas. However, I'm SO glad I don't have to hear anymore of Yozo's deranged laughter.

Looking forward to the next epi.
~Heart & Thoughts With Japan~

Jan 30, 2010 9:29 AM

Aug 2009
WHAT THE FUCK, THIS IS A MASTERPIECE. OH MY SO THIS IS THE AUTHOR'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY. DAMN HE HAD A SAD AND DEPRESSING LIFE INDEED. I DON'T BLAME HIM FOR COMMITING SUCIDE.

Okay so the biggest wtf ever was when Yozo caught his wife having sex inside their own house, what the fuck man can't they do it some place else? Sooner or later, I found out that the wife was actually having an affair with the boss just so that Yozo can get the job, even though it's against her will. WHAT THE FOK.

That "friend" of Yozo became a soldier during the WW2. I bet he died during the war too. Also, in the end, he committed suicide but I wonder how did he do it? He survived from the pills but how did he die? He went to a shop of a girl that looked like the bar girl that he killed. DAMN WHAT A DEPRESSING LIFE HE HAD.
Feb 7, 2010 9:42 AM
May 2009
I thought it was a wonderfully created story, beautifully told through the artwork (The next arc's art style really threw me off, this was perfect)

In particular the rape scene: To met you have to think of rape in the sense of "sex without their consent" She probably did acquiesce to his boss's demands, yet she was still being raped. She did not want to have sex and was raped, but she was doing it to help sell his comics. I mean, I can't say I know 100% about rape, but isn't there usually screaming and struggles? Was he laughing so hard that he didn't hear any of the commotion that may have been going on downstairs?

At the same time, if we look at her line "Why didn't you save me", from the viewpoint that this wasn't the first time, why did she never speak up about the incident. If this was the only time his Boss forced himself on his wife why didn't she say anything during the struggle? If this was not the first time why did she not mention it to Yo?

I don't want to make excuses for the rape but at the same time, I saw no sign of her denying his advances. She was crying because she did not want it, but decided to let it happen. She wanted to save Yo, but also, in a way, wanted to be saved by him.

Any thoughts about/against this?
Mar 3, 2010 3:29 AM

Jul 2009
@viridaelnex.

I totally agree.
This was a really interesting arc.
With the rape. yo's wife did want to get saved by him but also wanted to be the one who's saving. Something I don't understand is the reason as to why she even married in the first place. I mean the proposal was pretty retarded.
Anyhow.
Enjoyable arc.
Looking forward to some more.
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 12, 2010 9:51 AM

Aug 2009
Well, one of three stories has its end. The picture was great. But we didn't wait another quality from Madhouse. Remember Death Note. The manner of art looks like note's one. The story is impressive. But it's expect, becouse the tale's classical one.
Mar 21, 2010 5:17 PM
May 2008
A beautiful show of human frailty
Apr 4, 2010 9:19 PM

Jul 2007
That was good, really really good. I hope the next arcs can keep it up.
I'm also enjoying the BGM very much.
Apr 23, 2010 9:33 PM

Jul 2009
Storytelling at its finest.
Apr 29, 2010 4:23 AM

Apr 2009
About Horiki: I hoped that maybe he had manned up, and was going to fight for his country or something...but apparently, I forgot what I'm watching >.> "I will kill many people from around the world."

Oh God damn it, that was messed up o.o Poor Yoshiko...
And he even misunderstood her being raped for something like that...Or should I say, refused to accept the harsh reality as it was?
(Because to me, it seemed like it wasn't her selling herself to the boss for her husband's payment, but really getting raped...maybe not for the first time. What made me think that was that she cried when Crazy told her all the "for you to have to do this kind of thing to get me payment" stuff. Also, she seemed really uneasy to have to go downstairs where the boss was.)
CenedessApr 29, 2010 4:30 AM
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
May 16, 2010 4:34 PM

Aug 2009
Cenedess said:
About Horiki: I hoped that maybe he had manned up, and was going to fight for his country or something...but apparently, I forgot what I'm watching >.> "I will kill many people from around the world."

I had the same reaction lol.

I think this arc has made a new record for the most tragic anime I've ever seen. Guy tried to kill himself twice and failed. Life was a bitch to him. And this anime made women seem like complete slut and whores. Yeah, he had no courage or self-control.
How much can one person take after all...

Very deep and touching. Next arc looks a little happier.
May 21, 2010 5:02 AM

Jan 2008
About time he died.
May 28, 2010 8:26 PM

Dec 2008
I didn't like how that ended. Sorta confused on what happened in the last minute or so. >.> Oh, well. On to the next ep.

Jun 20, 2010 9:37 PM

Apr 2008
This arc gets a 9/10 from me. Great refreshing stuff.
Jun 25, 2010 4:35 PM
May 2008
Really, how are people misunderstanding this arc so greatly? Anyone that needs what actually happened cleared up, should refer to vinesage's post.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Sep 3, 2010 8:02 AM

Apr 2010
i wish he would have gotten some help nd I wish i could understand how he was nt able 2 grasp human living. he didnt fit in, but why nt aren't we naturally able 2 fit in2 human society jus by simply being human how wouldnt u nt knw how?

like i said I wish he would have gotten help or @ the very least have sum1 that was dependable. his wife was a whore she did nt have 2 sleep with that guy 4 him 2 get work. she betrayd him 2 the worst level then tried 2 kill herself...that would have helpd him alot. he told her wen he met her how pathetic he felt he was and so n nd she does something like that? horrible. as a woman i couldnt sell my body under no circumstances. jus so he can work? i would rathr b faithful and poor than a cheating whore with food on the table.

this story was too sad. i wish ppl didn't have 2 suffer this way.
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Sep 25, 2010 12:15 AM

Jun 2009
NeloDeath said:
Really, how are people misunderstanding this arc so greatly? Anyone that needs what actually happened cleared up, should refer to vinesage's post.

Probably because the story is told in an abstract way? Anyway, I for one believe that she was raped I mean after all, as others have said she did show some hesitation to go downstairs and she was crying when Hiroshi saw her. Really, though, we won't know because the story isn't told from her point of view. Also as others have stated, whether or not it was rape or not the fact is that seeing her in that position broke him, though I think he was already "gone" by that point anyway.

No Longer Human was a great story, I'd give it alone a 10 so it hard for me to expect the other stories to be as well done as this. It was sad and heart wrenching to watch this man "fail at being human" simply because of his father and all the other terrible things that happened when he was younger.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 29, 2010 7:46 PM

Oct 2009
No Longer Human was drastically different here than in the book. It's almost unrecognizable. Nonetheless, the animated version was fantastically told. I still prefer the book though. Kind of makes me mad that they completely changed the story.

Apr 24, 2011 6:50 AM
Dec 2010
A really great story... hate the ending though..
thx for the clear ups.. glad i read the comments in this forum..
May 14, 2011 6:59 PM

Nov 2010
Woow, Amazing episode.
May 19, 2011 9:54 AM
May 2011
I didn't like this anime so much I think it's kinda overrated,it had some good scenes but it got repetitive in my opinion
Aug 21, 2011 2:52 PM

Dec 2009
Out of all the stories featured in Aoi Bungaku I think this one is my favorite. Not that great in my opinion, but it was good. Loved the animation.
Dec 30, 2011 9:32 AM
Sep 2011
Well, in the end he sort of proved himself to be unworthy as a human being as a man who is unable to adapt to society due to his own insecurities. Unfortunately there are probably many people of his kind out there.
Feb 5, 2012 9:05 PM

Apr 2008
Well, I knew that his little happy life was going to hit some snag before the end. No way the story was going to end on an uplifting note.

I'd really like to hear opinions on the arc from people who actually read the novel. I say this, cause the story itself seemed relatively well done, but there also seemed to be a lot of choppiness and disjointedness to it, and I want to know if that's really just how the story goes, or if its the fault of the anime creators/ medium transition. I don't know, I just feel like a lot was missing from the story and wasn't told to us (in terms of scenes not being present and dialogue/inner dialogue from scenes we did see not being present). But for 4 episodes to a whole novel, they probably did the best they could with it.

8/10 for this one. On to the next story.
Mar 23, 2012 12:50 PM

Aug 2008
I'm so curious that I went to read the biography of the author, damn he tried at least 4 times to commit suicide.

Anyway, this story is good, it was too dark for my taste, but the soundtrack, the animation, the pace are very well done.
Apr 4, 2012 10:20 PM

Jan 2010
Fascinating story, to put it lightly. Very sad, very pensive. It was especially upsetting how all his best efforts repeatedly failed him. I suppose life can be cruel like that sometimes, though. =(
Sigh... I wonder how much better things could have been for him if he hadn't constantly resorted to alcohol, drugs, and prostitutes to heal his aching heart. They were all just ways for him to run from his troubles. Not to mention, they always just made things worse for him in the long run.
Overall, a well-animated and well-told story. I quite liked the way the lighting made everything glow in a sort of dreary way.
Apr 14, 2012 9:31 PM

Nov 2011
Great series, hoping this anime will be made into an official series soon.
Apr 15, 2012 3:03 PM

Feb 2010
Laevantein said:
PS:I'm still angry!! i'll go watch some gag anime right now..aargghh

Yeah, I gotta go watch a comedy after that one, too.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Jul 19, 2012 12:58 PM

Jun 2008
This whole story was fucking depressing and beyond.
Aug 6, 2012 1:19 PM

Mar 2012
That was such a sad end lol, great arc though.
Aug 18, 2012 4:20 PM

May 2012
Nice arc I think this anime is divided in 3 arcs!

This arc was quite interesting the combined story made sense but the individual where quite weird oO
Aug 25, 2012 7:48 PM
Jun 2012
This is truely a masterpiece.
Sep 5, 2012 3:49 AM

Mar 2010
Takai said:
This whole story was fucking depressing and beyond.
yep
Jan 25, 2013 7:38 PM
Aug 2011
What an incredibly dismal life.

I read the comments I don't understand why there was so much confusion in the first few pages.
The story is pretty damn clear for it only being 4 episodes.

Yozo is the kind of character where it's difficult to find the right feelings for.
I hated some of the things he did but at the same time I felt all-around pity for him.
Feb 8, 2013 5:32 AM
Dec 2012
Th3DivineOne said:
Glad I picked up this anime. I was unsure of whether or not it would be my cup of tea, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it thus far. I hope I can say the same after watching the other arcs.

Yeah it's a deep and interesting story adapted from Osamu Dazai's maspterpiece Ningen Shikkaku (aka No Longer Human). There are some manga adaptations of the novel if you are interested. Anime/manga creators each give a different interpretation to the same story.
Mar 1, 2013 9:17 PM

Nov 2011
Wow, the ending of this arc..just wow. That's how the cookie crumbles is how I see the ending as. They will be together forever now. forever.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

83 by hi777 »»
Jan 18, 3:25 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

186 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 11 Discussion

Tiago97 - Oct 14, 2012

48 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.