Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 24, 2013 12:38 AM

Jan 2013
Pshhhhhhhhhh cassette tape players in 2015.

He should have had an iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
Mar 16, 2013 9:50 PM

Jan 2013
hmm so the eva is organic? I like all the "shots" or angles they view some of the scenes from. animation isnt bad for '96. and its gainax xP i like how they portray the 4 nerve guys as all creepy. i dont think shinji is bad so far, ive seen a lot more annoying protags. the potential is great so far, glad Im finally watching this. also, back to back christian symbolism when the Eva shot that beam and it went cross like and the explosion right afterwards was also a cross.
Apr 5, 2013 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
This is a pretty good episode.
Apr 10, 2013 1:28 PM
Oct 2011
For those who do not know the christian symbolism was just put in there because it was foreign. I believe Anno is on record somewhere as saying if he knew how popular eva would be in the west he would have used something different.

Islamic symbolism maybe?

:D
Apr 14, 2013 1:12 PM

Mar 2012
SaddyK said:
Shinji is annoying? lolwat His personality is way more real than most of anime characters since he's not acting all "I'll save the world and I'm ok with that".

Unfortunately some people never seem to understand this :(

Enjoying NGE so far, looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 23, 2013 5:36 AM
Jul 2018

So the Eva has gone berserk. That's what it happened.
May 16, 2013 7:51 PM

Jul 2012
It seems the "pilot" feels localized pain/damage, so that's pretty brutal. Still interested after 2, let's try 3.
May 18, 2013 7:39 PM

May 2009
the opening is really exciting
May 30, 2013 1:57 PM

May 2013
Misato was begging for some D, oh how I wish to be in his spot right now, teehee~
You're all idiots, but I'm no different.
Jun 26, 2013 7:55 PM

Dec 2012
How is Shinji being annoying? =\ It's still ok I guess. Pretty interesting so far.
Jul 3, 2013 3:00 PM

Nov 2011
Shinji's too sensitive to be compared to Amuro Ray. He's just being pushed into an unfamiliar and uncomfortable position by father with whom he's had a rocky relationship...I sympathize with him.

From the looks of this episode, NGE is going to be more psychological than action-oriented. I definitely liked how that was handled in this episode. :)

Bah. And I love this opening. <3 It reminds me of Fushigi Yuugi's.
Aug 8, 2013 9:09 AM

Mar 2013
So thats why there we upside down buildings in the first episode.. And that dinner scene was so funny ! Also i felt so bad for the angel who was beaten to death by his own bones.. (If those were bones or whatever..)
Aug 20, 2013 1:28 PM

Dec 2012
xAvengerx said:
SaddyK said:
Shinji is annoying? lolwat His personality is way more real than most of anime characters since he's not acting all "I'll save the world and I'm ok with that".

Unfortunately some people never seem to understand this :(

Enjoying NGE so far, looking forward to the next episode.

This. I'm positively surprised about his character, considering what I've heard about him.
I liked the eye part.
Overall, this anime seems okay so far, but it hasn't got me hooked yet.
Sep 3, 2013 6:15 AM

Sep 2011
Pretty good pretty good! This episode was a lot more enjoyable than the last one, even though the last one wasn't too bad either. I think I'll like this.
Sep 8, 2013 4:52 PM

Feb 2013
So its not your average Mecha robot then 0_0
Oct 1, 2013 4:30 PM

Aug 2012
I loved the part when the city grew. I guess that is a pretty essential technology for a city that keeps getting destroyed by all kinds of monsters like Godzilla.
Dec 9, 2013 10:22 PM

Aug 2007
Seeing a cassette player and realizing I used them a lot in my childhood makes me feel my age.

I really enjoyed how the flashback was placed at the end of the episode. I'm hoping this is a sign that the storytelling is well organized.

Dec 16, 2013 9:51 AM

Dec 2012
Fight scene was sick. Eva's creepy moans were sick. Explosions were sick. Eva being purple was not sick, but I can deal.
Feb 15, 2014 1:18 AM

Oct 2013
dam that green eye hallucination was wack
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 18, 2014 12:42 AM

Aug 2013
Shinji doesn't seem annoying to me. Maybe in the future episodes? And wth was that green eye O__O
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 12, 2014 1:06 PM
Apr 2013
Much more interesting episode. That mecha sure was scary though. It's alive? o_O
Mar 13, 2014 5:32 PM

Jul 2012
Whoa that was interesting. I guess this show is supernatural after all.
Mar 17, 2014 11:35 PM
Feb 2014
Aw yeah, this was much better than the first episode. I also thought it was really cool that the artist managed to convey a sence of fear from the broken and completely alien face of the angel just before it self-destructed. I had just been reading about the 'berzerker state' the other day so it makes sense why Eva's abilities suddenly magnified, became animal-like, memories were lost/hazy, and he seemed traumatized afterwards.
Mar 19, 2014 8:53 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Shinji isn't as annoying but he does need to learn that sometimes he he is asked to do even if he doesn't want to. That Eva 01 went "berserk" mode and literally destroyed that other robot.
supersayen said:
holy shit his screaming scared the shit out of me.

even more wtf, before the eye appeared I thought that thing was a vag... ok I'll stop here.

Yea, I know what you mean. That scene I was like wtf. Also idk but when the head came off and the green eye just sort of appeared out of nowhere I felt like the Eva 01 had some sort of snake function. I remember my friend cut off the head of a snake and it's body and head was still moving even like 20 mins after it's head was cut off. In this case the Eva 01 reminded of that.

Ms.Katsuragi has like a years worth of beer, and lol at her messy house. Beer, beer, and more beer.

Apr 6, 2014 8:06 AM

Apr 2012
I was slow to warm to Pen-Pen, but with the benefit of hindsight he does play a heavy symbolic part...

May 2, 2014 6:01 AM

Jun 2013
My mind.....is full of fuck. Great episode nonetheless! When I seen Eva's eye before it opened, it looked like a vagina lol. Pretty intense episode, the action is awesome. Shinji isn't really as bad as people seem to make him out to be. Anywho, next episode should be better. Here's hoping!
May 20, 2014 6:34 AM
Jan 2012
Slow episode, but I liked it. The purple Eva was far far scarier than the Angel thing (dat scream!). The fight scene was really good.

I suppose the Eva fought by itself, without Shinji's command, right?

Oh and even back in the mid 90s fanservice was already a thing, uh.
May 26, 2014 6:03 PM
Jul 2018
Man, this episode was so intense. The atmosphere, the animation, and that damn green eye scene. What's up with that?!

This is definitely more interesting than I imagined. Not really excited about the next episode, school setting and all, but who knows. This show might pull it off.
Jun 16, 2014 11:37 PM

Aug 2013
Well, that was quite entertaining. The episode established more of a setting, we got more plot, and some character development so yay! We learned more about Eva and its capabilities with (or without) Pilots. Also, some background INTO the Eva mechs as well. Quite pleased with NGE so far.
Jul 23, 2014 1:29 AM

Aug 2009
xchee said:
Shinji doesn't seem annoying to me.

Me either. I don't see where the complaints are coming from its only been 2 episodes. Not enough to judge his character thoroughly I say.
I liked this episode. We got to see what really happened with the fight. And I'm very curious about Eva...was it alive? does it have it's on personality? seriously I'm confused.

Oct 9, 2014 5:21 AM

Jan 2013
Well this episode was 10x better than the previous one. It seems Shinji's a traumatized kid since his childhood, his character annoys the shit out of me tbh.
Nov 28, 2014 1:30 AM

Jul 2014
Shinji is pathetic. I like it. Misato is pretty damn hot. And Ikari's character is interesting.
Dec 23, 2014 2:30 PM

Aug 2014
Shinji's not annoying, I'm even sympathethic towards him.

The fight scene was awesome. Shinji totally overkilled that Angel, but it's because the Eva was out of control. I'm guessing that later on he gets a better grip on the Eva and actually fights himself.
Dec 28, 2014 1:17 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode, I´m happy about these flashbacks. I don´t really get it what should be annoying about Shinji...
Feb 15, 2015 5:18 PM

Oct 2013
That eye definitely looked like a vagina, and the action near the end was awesome. One of the best "mecha" fights I've seen in a good while... o__o

otherwise, I liked the first episode more.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 23, 2015 11:51 PM

Apr 2014
Absolutely loved the parallelism between the berserk Unit 01 and Sachiel.
That imagery after Unit 01 killed the angel & the angel when it came out from the N2 mine explosion >_>
Some great foreshadowing.

I know they said the symbolism/foreshadowing/whatever is just there to "make it cool" but damn they pull it off nice.
I personally highly doubt that these kinds of factors are just there for no reason lmfao
Apr 27, 2015 3:41 PM
Nov 2014
That fight scene was great, abit confusing though. But I'm sure in the next few episodes I'll start to get the hang of this show.
May 25, 2015 8:22 PM

Sep 2014
Ep 2 is a cool down but a bit fun.

Pros:

-Dialogue: The words felt nice to listen to such as Misato showing the Geofront, her messing with Shinji, and the end where she gave him praise for fighting.
-Characters: Misato is fun. Shinji exists to suffer but can be fun, maybe.
Plot: Pretty much what would happen if you put an untrained kid in a giant robot. Poor kid.

Cons:
Dub: Actors are finding their way but it may sound a bit scratchy.

4/5. Good follow-up to cliffhanger of ep 1.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
May 28, 2015 5:23 AM

Jan 2013
Sexual tension between Shinji and Misato is coming to life.
Eva Unit 01 went beserk and managed to destroy the Angel ... or rather ... the Angel destroyed itself.
Jul 9, 2015 9:37 AM

Jan 2014
Lerl, why did an eye come out of his eva's head? o_o
And it was alive o_o
Was he seeing things? o_o
Or is it really alive? o_o
I guess it's alive and that's why it's special, but we'll see :)

And the fight was aweeesome :D
I guess cuz there were only two mechas, and only one fight.
I get confused if there are more at a time usually XD
Aug 5, 2015 4:07 PM

Aug 2015
This episode was great! Had a much more enjoyable time watching this one compared to the first. :P

D'oh! When he fell over, I laughed. It was good that he kind of got his butt kicked at first. I just can't imagine a boy like him suddenly piloting an Eva for the first time and being amazing at it. But wow, I wasn't sure that the Eva's were alive but I did suspect it. Way cool how it went berserk on that Angel!

I also loved the home scene with Misato and Shinji. And a penguin!? That was unexpected!! Misato seems like a lot of fun, but also very sweet in her own way. Definitely my favorite character so far! ★ 5/5
Sep 17, 2015 8:29 AM

Mar 2013
A decent episode but I remember this being more enjoyable. Maybe I'm just not in the mind set to watch anime at the moment.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Oct 6, 2015 11:15 PM

Apr 2014
Just what are these Evas and how sentient are they? How did Shinji manage to go berserk with one? What is his connection with all of this? He's an incredibly timid and meek person, but yet it appears that he may possess a high degree of hidden inner rage (which I'm assuming is what the Eva keyed in on when Shinji became desperate to survive). How much was that the Eva itself and how much was it because of him? He is ultimately willing to venture very far out of his comfort zone if necessary and may possess a lot of withheld wrath/craziness deep within (or at least the potential for it) on top of timidness, social isolation, and self-esteem issues. I very much feel for the kid being in way over his head. I can understand why some people find him incredibly annoying, but I find him sympathetic and more realistic than some mecha protagonists I've come across given their background and situation. To me, all of this makes him very interesting to observe. Is he already on the path to overcoming, or to what extent will he break before doing so?

Misato has a very expressive and outgoing personality, and she's very kind in praising him and allowing him to live with her instead of alone. However, I'm under the impression that there's a particular reason as to why she was immediately adamant on not leaving him alone. I wonder if he reminds her of someone she once knew and cared for or perhaps of her past self?
Oct 8, 2015 11:59 AM

Aug 2015
ZeroDragon said:
Just what are these Evas and how sentient are they? How did Shinji manage to go berserk with one? What is his connection with all of this? He's an incredibly timid and meek person, but yet it appears that he may possess a high degree of hidden inner rage (which I'm assuming is what the Eva keyed in on when Shinji became desperate to survive). How much was that the Eva itself and how much was it because of him? He is ultimately willing to venture very far out of his comfort zone if necessary and may possess a lot of withheld wrath/craziness deep within (or at least the potential for it) on top of timidness, social isolation, and self-esteem issues. I very much feel for the kid being in way over his head. I can understand why some people find him incredibly annoying, but I find him sympathetic and more realistic than some mecha protagonists I've come across given their background and situation. To me, all of this makes him very interesting to observe. Is he already on the path to overcoming, or to what extent will he break before doing so?

Misato has a very expressive and outgoing personality, and she's very kind in praising him and allowing him to live with her instead of alone. However, I'm under the impression that there's a particular reason as to why she was immediately adamant on not leaving him alone. I wonder if he reminds her of someone she once knew and cared for or perhaps of her past self?

Keep watching man...As far as I can see, you're not a typical anime viewer... You do have a very nice way of looking in to stuff. I can see Eva making a big impression on you :) If you have any questions that you didn't understand, you can always ask me.
Oct 10, 2015 10:53 PM

Feb 2014
Good episode.

I still don't find Shinji annoying, but I'm sure he'll become very whiny and possibly go mental later. I'm not sure if I should look forward to that.

The way it flashbacked to the fight scene at the end was really cool, they saved a nice reveal for the end of the ep that way.

5 out of 5: Loved it!
Oct 12, 2015 11:08 PM

May 2014
Legitimately surprised this episode discussion only has 2 pages.

Anyhow, I'm curious as to whether Shinji was in any sort of control or consciousness during the period that the Eva rekt the Angel.
Nov 20, 2015 8:02 AM

Jan 2012
In the beginning i thought he lost the battle.

Nov 21, 2015 4:05 AM

Feb 2013
Yeah I was surprised he won that battle too. I actually thought that he got his ass kicked and they ended up having to send in that girl or something. The fight scene was really intense though, very enjoyable to watch.

Also I'm pretty curious to find out what these *robots* actually are.
Dec 3, 2015 8:20 AM

Nov 2012
Shinji ain't annoying to me,as people have said before his actions were reasonable/realistic considering he's a 14 years old boy forced onto the battlefield.

As for the eye part/Unit 01 being a living organism I'm fairly certain I know what that's about since I've read some spoilers but not 100% sure since I didn't dig deep into them.
Dec 25, 2015 7:08 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

This is the episode that originally hooked me on the series. It showed me that it was going to be different, special... the arrangement of this episode with the theme of "unfamiliar ceilings"... this is not an action anime (though the action is extreme), it's psychological!

Misato: "Shinji-kun!"
Bam, he wakes up in a hospital, leaving us (the audience) going WTF?!

Then the re-transition back into the battle and ending with Shinji screaming at the reflection of Unit01 in that building... what can I say other than "That was awesome!" Also notice how Unit01 took revenge on the Angel for breaking its arm by breaking both of it's arms, at once.

That flip-land-on-the-angel animation is epic (used in the OP).

5/5 episode of course.

Let's not forget that UN conversation. They're upset that the Angels are getting in the way of their plans... must not fall behind schedule.
BurntJellyDec 25, 2015 7:11 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
6 hours ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Today, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

232 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 21, 4:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.