Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 2, 2021 8:20 PM
May 2012
SaddyK said:
Shinji is annoying? lolwat His personality is way more real than most of anime characters since he's not acting all "I'll save the world and I'm ok with that".

Yeah I also don't get why everyone finds him annoying. He actually hasn't done anything annoying so far.
Jun 7, 2021 9:06 PM

Apr 2020
The op slaps

I have absolutely no idea how people find Shinji annoying

Nothing really much to say this ep. Misato was hot tho

And the fight scene was okay ig
Oct 30, 2021 7:43 AM

Aug 2020
Okay, getting interesting. Still a lot to uncover.

I don't understand why people are calling him annoying. What do you want? Would you like to have an MC that is overly OP and knows how to cope with every situation? Or rather have a realistic character.
MaxiDennisOct 30, 2021 7:47 AM

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 5, 2021 6:47 PM
Nov 2021
I was kind of confused on how the mechanics work on the neon genesis, and this episode dead ass shocked me...lol
Nov 5, 2021 6:48 PM
Nov 2021
Tengai said:
SaddyK said:
Shinji is annoying? lolwat His personality is way more real than most of anime characters since he's not acting all "I'll save the world and I'm ok with that".

Yeah I also don't get why everyone finds him annoying. He actually hasn't done anything annoying so far.

Exactly! I especially when he's displaying how an average kid would act in this situation.
Nov 22, 2021 9:23 AM
Nov 2020
Shinji tripping during his first steps then getting his ass whooped immediately is when I knew this show was gonna be interesting
Dec 12, 2021 9:08 PM
Apr 2021
Wow wow wow what an episode (misato is hot ) im hooked now
Potato's Rock<3
Dec 14, 2021 12:42 PM

May 2019
Great episode.

I like that Shinji is just learning, scared and starting out, leaves room for character development and growth. Super rad dad, just throwing your son out like that, geez.

Oooh, NERV propaganda.

Misato is hilarious. Though, also acting like a pretty solid parental figure, which he lacks.

A lot of religious iconography in this I've noticed.
Dec 22, 2021 3:27 AM
Nov 2021
I thought it was a really bold choice for them to put the fight scene in a flashback towards the end of the episode since the last episode ended with that cliffhanger, but it makes sense since it drives the whole episode.
Jan 1, 2022 9:51 AM

Jul 2021
Misato has become Shinji's roommate, and I hope that with her help, he has more courage.
asdasdsadad
Jan 5, 2022 8:26 PM

Mar 2018
Something about the 4:3, 90's animation mixed with Psychological elements and atmosphere that just hooks me like no other, one of the reasons why I loved Lain so much. Something tells me I'm gonna love this show as well
Celest__Jan 5, 2022 8:29 PM
Jan 23, 2022 4:54 AM

Feb 2021
The OP is so catchy!!

Dayum! the fight scene was so sick. The pilot feeling pain but not being injured seems really brutal. It's literally like "okay you are dead due to the wounds you received but wait, those wounds weren't really there so you'll have to keep enduring it." Also, I didn't expect the Eva's to be organic.

Shinji sure is facing the trauma of piloting an Evangelion. I wonder what the 'berserk' mode is. Is it like a self-piloting system or something? Also, why's everyone hating Shinji for how he's reacting? I bet half of the people criticizing him wouldn't be able to react accordingly in a similar situation.

Misato fanservice is always welcomed.

This underground city idea is pretty clever. I always thought they have the tech to make futuristic robots in mecha anime but couldn't build a shield around the city or have an alternate solution like the one shown here.

The show is slowly picking up!

Feb 26, 2022 4:47 PM

Jan 2022
Shinji looking like he came from area 51 in that bath scene fr

Still some things I don't get, like why they're being attacked by angels or how the eva's work but I guess thats explained in later episodes.

Also I don't get how people find shinji annoying from the first two episodes? If anything the only thing you can find him so far is boring. He just seems like some average kid. Honestly the only reason I can think to dislike him is that one hospital scene but we're not there yet
Mar 1, 2022 2:44 PM
May 2012
Draculasora said:
Tengai said:

Exactly! I especially when he's displaying how an average kid would act in this situation.

Yessss thank you!
Mar 27, 2022 7:16 AM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Love this anime. Showing events out of order keeps us wondering and treats us when we finally see what actually happens.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 28, 2022 3:27 AM

Dec 2021
eva unit vs angel battle was cool, never picked up the first time on how the eva unit getting damaged also hurts the user. some really good foreshadowing. crazy how people don't think shinji gets development but it is what it is
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
May 12, 2022 11:09 PM

Oct 2020
Interesting, okay I can see the hype
I was initially confused about where the Angel went after Shinji collapsed, but ig he ended up beating it but blacked out soon after.
Misato mentioned something about potential psychological contamination? Maybe that's what happened when he saw the Eva Unit helmet break off and he saw the living creature underneath? Was that real? Was he hallucinating? Ig we'll find out.
Jun 26, 2022 9:25 AM

Dec 2007
bit confusing at first, didn't understood hows shinji won that angel when it clearly isn't, but the i realized. lol

that penguin wasn't what i expected lol

in the end 2nd episode hasn't had much in store. but still interesting as the 1st episode.
Sep 2, 2022 12:11 AM
Jun 2022
keren banget sumpah coy
Sep 2, 2022 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
That poor kid Ikari needs to get a life.
Sep 12, 2022 11:49 AM
Aug 2022
damn good episode. the part of the EVA that suddenly grew an eye was hella unsettling, but in a good way. rei also intrigues me.
Sep 12, 2022 2:51 PM

Jul 2017
one thing i hate about anime is the fan service and NGE is full of it, god help me get through this cause it makes me so uncomfortable and i'm only 2 episodes in ugh
Sep 22, 2022 8:59 AM
Dec 2020
misato kinda hot ngl
Oct 21, 2022 12:40 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I wouldn't mind being Shinji if it meant getting to live with Ms. Misato-san

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 12, 2022 12:45 PM
Jun 2014
As I thought, even though episode 1 is a bit off-putting and typical, episode 2 starts adding things that begin to pique interest. But it's a lot of stuff at once, and a lot of technical vocab in this show, so it's not easy to take it all in. It feels confusing. So I skimmed back through it again, and there's one conversation that definitely makes the show more interesting. It's when the blond woman was talking with Shinji's father, and he essentially said the kids are the only ones who can pilot the Evas, so he'll have them do it as long as they survive. I mean holy heck.

MOST IMPORTANTLY... The eye? ... So this Eva or whatever ISN'T just a robot?? It's organic?? THAT makes me wanna see episode 3.

Also: I notice people here are saying Shinji is annoying or angsty - but honestly... why? Going through a fight like that is traumatic. Se felt so attached to the unit that he felt like his own arm was being torn off, and he didn't have any guarantee as to whether he would live or die. He has a lot to think about and come to terms with. Not to mention that the fight caused so much damage that people may have been hurt. It'd be a lot to take in even for an adult, let alone a young teenager. Especially when you consider that he's seen Rei, it probably makes him wonder if he'll end up the same.
Dec 15, 2022 11:15 PM

Jan 2022
So notice how Shinji goes through the pain of having his arm break and straight up almost dies? Perhaps he may have been a bit justified in holding some reservations about getting in the giant robot to fight the evil kaiju....perhaps...maybe. Jury still out on that one.

Still a great episode. The action animation holds up very well for being more than a quarter of a century old.
-insert NGE meme here-
Dec 28, 2022 11:20 PM
Dec 2022
It was good but i lost intrest.
Dec 29, 2022 8:00 AM

Jul 2021
don't tell me the robot got a consciousness of it's own.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 6, 2023 7:36 PM
May 2021
It's so good, the anime looks amazing.
Jan 9, 2023 8:40 PM

Mar 2022
Again still don't know where it says that Shinji's meant to be annoying in the slightest but whatever, the fight that the EVA had against the Angel was fantastic. I was honestly not expecting it to go fricking berserk on it, it not only wailed on that Angel, it broke both it's arms in the process. I was a bit confused that the battle was abruptly cut off at the beginning and I was legit like: "Wait what? What happened? Why's Shinji in a bed? Was he injured? Did the whole thing happen? Was he having a nightmare or something? Only to confirm in the next scene the wreckage of the EVA that yes it did happen. And it was just their way of framing the rest of the battle in the form of a flashback which isn't enough to detract from the story but it was a bit jarring for a brief moment. Misato is turning out to be a really fun character, I really loved the scene where Shinji's having dinner with her as well as the rest of the scene being hilarious with Pen-Pen's sudden appearance. That scene with the eye was freaky, really getting the feel of the dark atmosphere that the anime has, so that's good.
Jan 13, 2023 11:18 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything.
Jan 18, 2023 11:48 PM

Mar 2016
Coming from someone who's pretty much watched mecha anime backwards - Darling in the FranXX, Full Metal Panic (first 2 seasons), now this. Just wondering how much work goes into 2D mech fighting animation that so many have fallen into 3D and don't give the 2D love as often anymore.

Hoping that some of these "Shinji is annoying" is just the age of the comments before more anime actually properly considered how characters should be behaving. He's a high schooler who's likely never seen these Angels, got dumped by his dad and has been living solo for 3 years. Of course he's going to be socially awkward and be incredibly reluctant and inexperienced at piloting a damn mech.

Quite liked the way the episode was ordered. Completely cut the Angel fight until later when Shinji recalls the aftermath. Also incredibly surprising that the true nature of the EVAs is being revealed so early. While I believe I was aware that there was more to EVAs than being pure robots (like was done with FranXX), I am rather surprised that I never got outright spoiled on them being some alternate form of Angel. I say 'alternate Angel', because EVA-01's head certainly resembled and acted like the Angel, but the altered shape and zero hesitation at trying to kill the attacking Angel when it went 'berserk' suggests it isn't all that clear cut.

Shinji's going to be having nightmares for a while :P
Feb 19, 2023 1:26 PM
Feb 2023
love the og art vibe
Feb 28, 2023 2:19 PM
Feb 2023
Gran capitulo, buena introduccion de personajes
Mar 17, 2023 12:37 PM
Aug 2022
i really liked it, yeeee
May 25, 2023 12:48 PM
Apr 2020
Still plenty confused but damn this was really good
May 27, 2023 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
Misato annoying..

Jul 30, 2023 7:51 PM
Jul 2023
really cool idk, it really adds up that anime was made so long ago so the style is like old
aesthetic. <3
Aug 1, 2023 3:20 AM
May 2021
yo that mechs real face is sexy af🥵🥵🥵
Oct 18, 2023 8:48 PM
Sep 2023
someone's gonna die of alcohol poisoning
Dec 31, 2023 1:41 AM
Jan 2018
nice opening and graphic
Jan 9, 9:10 PM

Dec 2022
Misato the dream girl... for us alcohols
Jan 25, 7:05 PM
Apr 2023
Great show so far. That scream hit hard and I have not idea why.
Mar 3, 5:16 AM

Jul 2017
The direction of Evangelion is amazing, i love how the scenes are portrayed.
Misato was so cute showing shinji Tokyo-3. the city that he saved, to make him feel proud of himself, even if i think that she is doing it only because she has to keep in check his mental sanity.

''Touch the darkness inside me''
Mar 9, 2:21 PM
Aug 2016
Well executed, first showing us what happened after the fight. Later they show us what really happened.
And how this is related to how he has not yet fully assumed it.
The robot has its own personality it seems. We have to learn more about the link that unites the robot with the human, because no matter how powerful the robot may seem, it seems that it cannot be activated without the concurrence of another living being. What does that tell us about enemy robots? Who sends them?

I also like it because we are starting to see the development of the characters. Will the girl, the captain, stop being realistic and seeking practical results, and become truly interested in the young man's mental and physical health? Still the protagonist, the young man has not rejected being part of the combat program.
Mar 20, 11:03 AM

Feb 2022
I love how they presented the fight from the point of view that he lost his memories temporarily and then regained them back gradually. The slice of life element was nice, and I guess this is how it will be from now on, slice of life mixed up with epic fights and tragic psychological moments, and I'm all for it as it seems a perfect mix each episode.

That scene with Eva's eye at the end was fabulous, perfect ending for an episode. I reckon it's somehow related to maybe them being actual angels or something, in other words the way he bounded with Shinji right away and shielded him was very well done to establish that he is truly special in this world.

P.S.: I also have no idea why they keep talking about fan service since there seems to be none, but I'm glad as I don't think it would add much to the quality of each episode.
Mar 30, 11:12 PM
Jul 2023
This show is so…. Different.
- the unique shots in this episode make me completely forget about how old it is. Being artistic is definitely more important than having good animation
- I like the subtle symbolism, such as Misato in casual attire in the car while Katsuragi still has her equipment on.
- I like how they came back to the battle later. It’s a trope I appreciate
- It seems the Evangelions are actually organic?
Mar 31, 4:59 PM
Apr 2023
Another very cool episode. Shinji/ true EVA-01 defeated the Angel after almost dying and the fight scene was surprisingly brutal. The city is still really sick also mommy Misato.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this

Lonely_kun - Today

45 by leekyg »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

245 by ToTheGyz »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

268 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

290 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 16, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

810 by _reii017 »»
Apr 16, 2:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.