Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 21, 2014 1:45 PM

Aug 2013
Why hello here. Lately I've had some trouble finding anime and manga that actually captivate me. I'm tired of feeling all casual about every single thing I pick up. I want to watch something so captivating that I want to marathon it, or read a manga that is so interesting that I can sit for hours without wanting to put it down. Now, I should probably be a little more specific, and you could always check out my list if you want to get an idea of my pleb tastes.

I love psychological stuff and anime/manga that are people-oriented, but I dislike action and fighting, although I can tolerate it if it's not the main aspect. I love stuff that's a little thought-provking so that I can't risk turning my brain off. I'm not too fussy about what genre it is, be it horror, romance, comedy, whatever. But it has to captivate me, and I want to be left feeling curious and wanting more. Hopefully someone out there knows just what I'm looking for.

Also, I'd rather read a manga than watch an anime, but recommend whatever you want if you can't think of a manga.

Thanks.
Sep 21, 2014 2:00 PM

Feb 2013
psycho pass (the new directors cut version 11 episodes with each 50 mins) (it has action ,but i wouldnt call it main aspect, the main aspect is just the world build in this anime)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kIyF3bwdcI (opening)

non non biyori (SoL comedy, but rly rly enjoyabel and cute)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5nqWkr_N_4 (opening)

spice and wolf (dialgue driven adventure romance, very good to chill out) (its about a merchant who promises to take a wolf god to the north)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_WgwEmRaw (opening)

guardian of the sacred spirit (it has action ,but not much, its about a female bodyguard saving the prince. the queen asks her to take him with her and protect him, since the king wants to kill him)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJSwiHeOo4 (opening)

katanagatari (in every 50 mins eps you have lik 5-15 mins action, the rest is dialogue driven adventure with rly well made characters) story: mc goes with a self claimed tactican to gather 12 legendary swords, while he is a material arts master who cant use swords. and every episode was interessting) (since its from the same author as monogatari series, it has soo much talking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONevQyxRGM (opening)

mawaru penguindrum (psychological comedy, drama) mcs sister dies, but somehow she comes back to life and tells her brothers to gether the penguindrum if they want her to surrive, but they have no idea what the penguindrum is.....
http://vimeo.com/29649237 (1st opening)

you should also continue nisemonogatari (i know... nise is much with the sisters, but monogatari 2nd season is far better then bakemonogatari)
smooki91Sep 21, 2014 2:05 PM
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Sep 21, 2014 2:23 PM

Apr 2011
I'm so glad that you preferred manga rather than anime but apparently I couldn't really see your kind of favorite manga. So maybe I'll just throw in some of my personal favorite here (that matches your criterias):

** adapted in anime, which is also good but I say the manga is better.

Sorry if there are too much drama. Hope any if not all of them can captivate you. :)
abiranzSep 21, 2014 2:28 PM
Sep 21, 2014 3:34 PM

May 2009
This was tough. Not sure what would captivate you, but here are some that miiiight work.

Manga:
20th Century Boys < not sure how much fighting this has, but it is psychological
Shissou Holiday
Kokou no Hito
Liar Game < might have minor fighting; it is psychological
F. Compo < not psychological, but it is somewhat interesting and has a moral; minor fighting

These all have some amount of fighting I think:
Akumetsu, though it is kind of bloody from what I remember
Bloody Monday, it is more thriller than psychological though
Rookies, has a small amount of fighting, not that psychological
Great Teacher Onizuka maybe. About a teacher helping students.
Hammer Session! < - similar concept to above
Kimi no Knife < about hitmen
Aphorism < - very bloody but addicting
Shounen Oujo
Yuureitou < more creepy and fresh than psychological
Toukyou Kushu / Tokyo Ghoul < - a lot of fighting

Anime:
Cross Game might be a nice anime to watch. If it could be considered psychological though, it would be very subtly psychological.
House of Five Leaves is also good.
Tokyo Godfathers.
Zankyou no Terror.
Sep 21, 2014 3:43 PM

Mar 2013
Sports manga are usually very captivating >w>

Captivating manga (personal opinion):
Glass Mask
Liar Game
Monster
Holyland
Battle Royale
Prince of Tennis
Tomie
Again!!
Kuroshiya 1
Noblesse
Sumire 16-sai!

Anime:
Rainbow
Hikaru no Go
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2014 3:44 PM

Mar 2013
Try reading Oyasumi punPun my friend
Sep 21, 2014 4:13 PM

Mar 2014
Well, I can see from your Manga List that you already know about 'Aku no Hana', so we'll leave that one :)

A manga that I would recommend to anyone who wants to read something 'captivating' is 'Utsubora: the Story of a Novelist' by Asumiko Nakamura. This is the story of an author who succumbs to the siren song of plagiarism, and it's spectacular. A warning: it's full (and I mean full) of sex. If this is a problem for you, steer clear. If not, go ahead. For me, the sex in this book was fine, mainly because it fit in with the story perfectly, but also because it never feels like fanservice.

I also found 'Battle Royale: Tenshitachi no Kokkyou' to be a very moving read. I'm a huge fan of both the book and movie versions of 'Battle Royale', but I haven't read the manga. This wasn't a problem, however. Basically, 'Battle Royale' is the story of a bunch of kids who are rounded up and forced to kill each other. (Of course, it's far more complicated than that, but I don't have time to go into it, and you may already know the story!) This manga tells the stories of the group of girls (two in particular) who hole up in a lighthouse. The artwork is great, and I was hooked from start to finish.

Even though I'm only three volumes in, I'd like to recommend 'Gunslinger Girl'. This is about an organisation that adopts young, damaged girls and combines their bodies with robotics in order to create dangerous and efficient assassins. Each chapter tells a different story, and therefore each girl (and her handler) gets ample story-time. This is definitely a character-driven piece, and I'm psyched to read the next volumes.

For anime, I would have recommended 'Death Billiards', but it appears you gave it a six, so we'll move swiftly on!

I see that 'Ano hi mita hana...' is on your 'plan to watch' list, so that's good; I'm only about six episodes in, and it's amazing so far.

If you're willing to try something a little (by which I mean very) different, then I'd suggest 'Shigurui'. I've currently got it on hold, as the person I was watching it with couldn't grasp what was going on, so I felt compelled to stop. (We went on to 'Higashi no Eden' instead, which isn't half bad and is, at times, captivating.) Anyway, 'Shigurui' is very interesting, and if it grabs you in the first episode, you'll be hooked.

Okay, I think that's enough for now.

I hope you find something great!
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Sep 21, 2014 5:45 PM

Aug 2013
Wow, thanks for all the great responses!

@Smooki:

I've contemplated watching some of these titles in the past, so perhaps I decide to check them out! Thanks for the recs. And yeah, I should finish Nise. I like the Monogatari series, but that season in particular just didn't do it for me.

@abiranz:

Thanks. Indeed, my manga list is... lacking. I actually haven't read that many manga, but I really enjoy reading them. I'll have a look at the ones you've recommended. : )

And I don't mind drama so no worries.

@Caeca:

Thank you. I will check these titles out.

@Mycelistsukiyo:

That's very true. Maybe it's worth trying out one of them for a change. Thanks for the recommendations.

@html:

Ah, I know about that one. It sounds like something that I might enjoy. I'll consider it.

@NERigby96:

Yeah, I loved Aku no Hana. : )

Thanks for the recs. Great explanations of them as well! Yeah I'm already familiar with Battle Royale, but I never got around to read it. I'll definitely read it at some point. I'll look into the other titles as well.

Thanks again, everyone. I've got quite a bit of series to look into now. ^.^
Sep 21, 2014 6:04 PM

May 2012
I'll add Chihayafuru to the list. The manga extends past the end of the two anime seasons.

More topics from this board

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - 3 hours ago

2 by Snailsoup »»
2 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Today

4 by Ten »»
3 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
5 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - 5 hours ago

0 by MeZaDefined »»
5 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

70 by Meline0102 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.