Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 21, 2014 12:08 PM

Jun 2008
http://ideas.ted.com/2014/01/23/10-facts-about-infidelity-helen-fisher/

Lots of common sense in the article, but has some statistics to really talk about it in a more biological or cultural sense.

Some interesting information:

6. Myriad psychological, cultural and economic variables play a role in the frequency and expression of infidelity. But one thing is clear: infidelity is a worldwide phenomenon that occurs with remarkable regularity, despite near universal disapproval of this behavior.

8. Infidelity doesn’t necessarily signal an unhappy relationship. Regardless of the correlation between relationship dissatisfaction and adultery, among individuals engaging in infidelity in one study, 56% of men and 34% of women rated their marriage as “happy” or “very happy,” suggesting that genetics may also play a role in philandering.

Unfaithful females reaped economic resources from their extra-dyadic partnerships, as well as additional males to help with parenting duties if their primary partner died or deserted them. Moreover, if an ancestral woman bore a child with this extra-marital partner, she also increased genetic variety in her descendants. Infidelity had unconscious biological payoffs for both males and females throughout prehistory, thus perpetuating the biological underpinnings and taste for infidelity in both sexes today.

Quite educating. What do you know about cheating? It's one thing to disapprove it, but quite another to somehow be part of it. I don't expect our average forumite to have experienced it, but knowing that your ideals and your behaviour can differ is an important aspect of self-understanding, I think. Rather than saying it will never happen to yourself, it's probably better to be aware of our human limitations so we can act more accordingly.
Sep 21, 2014 12:11 PM

Nov 2008
Cheating while natural is bad and heartbreaking and should be illegal in the Western world, just break up or get a divorce if you want greener pastures.

Sep 21, 2014 12:14 PM

Jul 2013
Cheaters should have their genitals mutilated.
Sep 21, 2014 12:21 PM

Apr 2014
Hoppy said:
Cheating while natural is bad and heartbreaking and should be illegal in the Western world, just break up or get a divorce if you want greener pastures.

Illegal?

Lol.

No.
Sep 21, 2014 12:32 PM

May 2012
No matter how much I love someone. She cheats -> Pack your things, you have 2 hours.
Delete from life.

My personal reaction to someone cheating.
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Sep 21, 2014 12:41 PM

Apr 2014
"You either choose me or lose me."

Easy.
Sep 21, 2014 1:03 PM

Dec 2013
The scientific study sounded interesting, the possibility of it being a genetic trait is both intriguing and scary in a way. Maybe in the future people will take the gene into consideration when looking for a relationship. Of course the beneficial aspects of infidelity have probably been a major role in those who choose to take part in it.( Attention, money, etc.) I wonder how the overall view of it will change with the passing of time.
Sep 21, 2014 1:13 PM
Feb 2014
Infidels are non-Muslims It's the only fact in my book........I had to say it sorry and with that I take my leave.
Sep 21, 2014 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
God I'm not welcome here. My baes and waifus are everywhere.

If your partner cheats on you, consider it as a really huge red flag. You don't necessarily have to leave her on the spot. Talk about it first and ask why she did it. Some relationships may be saved, but if she's just the type of person to explore or can't stick to one, you're free to leave her.
Sep 21, 2014 4:38 PM

Jan 2013
Some men/women find infidelity thrilling. It's a fetish
Sep 21, 2014 4:45 PM

Apr 2012
I myself wouldn't bother with cheating, there's nothing thrilling for me in it, cheating is a pretty bad idea overall.

Also, I wouldn't like to be cheated on, so I disapprove of it, although this:
"Moreover, if an ancestral woman bore a child with this extra-marital partner, she also increased genetic variety in her descendants."
Is true.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Sep 21, 2014 5:11 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Fact number nine is interesting and terrifying.
Sadly, my father cheated on my mother. She stayed with him for my big brother and I, but he cheated on her again years later. Not sure if there was anyone in between-- wouldn't doubt it. The worst part is who he cheated on my mother with the first(?) time.

My dad's mother and father were both cheaters. My mother's father was a cheater, though she doesn't cheat. Fact number nine is scaring me.
I know I'd never cheat; my mother's a strong woman, but I can see how hurt she is. I'd never want to see that emotion on anyone's face, especially not because of anything I did.

I'm just scared for my big brother. He already doesn't seem to understand that drinking and driving isn't okay-- and that stealing money out of my room while I'm not around is bad too.

The article does say it's "likely" and not set in stone though.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 21, 2014 5:14 PM

Mar 2008
Cheaters are selfish assholes.
Sep 21, 2014 5:21 PM

Jul 2014
Uh, it seems pretty clear that the only reason not engage in infidelity is to protect your partner's emotions. Which is pretty legit, considering that that someone is supposedly the most important person in the world to you.

I'd love to see a relationship where the couple just laughs off their irregular infidelity and remain in really good romantic/sexual relationship.
Sep 21, 2014 5:24 PM

May 2014
Kaeis said:

I'd love to see a relationship where the couple just laughs off their irregular infidelity and remain in really good romantic/sexual relationship.

i want to see pierrot make a faithful adaptation
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 22, 2014 1:23 AM

Jan 2014
Hoppy said:

I also think it should be illegal. Because it hurts people (love partner and children if they have kids)!
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Sep 22, 2014 3:57 AM

Mar 2008
Shiratori-san said:

I also think it should be illegal. Because it hurts people (love partner and children if they have kids)!
I thought when it comes to marriage it actually is illegal to cheat because marriage is like a legal contract and its a breech of contract?
Sep 22, 2014 4:02 AM

Mar 2014
That's why you gotta live that bachelor life. Kicking someone out of your house is cheaper than alimony.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2014 4:06 AM
May 2009
traed said:
Shiratori-san said:

I thought when it comes to marriage it actually is illegal to cheat because marriage is like a legal contract and its a breech of contract?

It should be but its not.
Sep 22, 2014 4:20 AM

Mar 2014
shintai88 said:
traed said:

It should be but its not.
It isn't illegal but I believe in civil court, evidence of infidelity is taken into account during divorce proceedings.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2014 4:29 AM

Apr 2013
Onee_SAMA said:
Infidels are non-Muslims It's the only fact in my book........I had to say it sorry and with that I take my leave.

Islam condones polygamy.
Sep 22, 2014 4:51 AM

Jun 2008
This all happens because society has illogical principles.
The "my partner never must touch anyone else" is one of those since humans obviously need sexual variety in the same way they need more than one type of food. That is why so many fuck others and no matter how socially unacceptable it is it just won't go away.

Is time humans stop trying to change the normal by pushing up-normal principles as normal.
It's better if couples had more open sexual relationship and sexuality was not viewed as something evil. If you can get you wife and go to a friendly couples house where you all fuck each other and so on then i doubt nether you or your wife will ever need to do anything behind each others back.
MonadSep 22, 2014 4:59 AM
Sep 22, 2014 4:56 AM

Apr 2013
Monad said:
This all happens because society has illogical principles.
The "my partner never must touch anyone else" is one of those since humans obviously need sexual variety in the same way they need more than one type of food. That is why so many fuck others and no matter how socially unacceptable it is it just won't go away.

Is time humans stop trying to change the normal by pushing up-normal principles as normal.
It's better if couples had more open sexual relationship and sexuality was not viewed as something evil. If you can get you wife and go to a friendly couples house where you all fuck each other and so on then i doubt nether you or your wife will ever need to do anything behind your back.

This is the post I wanted to see. Thank you. I can't believe people actually spend time making studies like these. It's not rocket science, people obviously like to fuck.
Sep 22, 2014 5:58 AM

Jan 2014
'Thou shalt not commit adultery.' Seems clear enough.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!

More topics from this board

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

8 by traed »»
13 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

12 by LoveYourEyes »»
13 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

14 by Kikugi »»
14 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 10 hours ago

25 by Kikugi »»
17 minutes ago

» What do you think about tourism in your country?

Sad - 46 minutes ago

2 by Sad »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.