Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 21, 2014 1:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, did they just say America?

Holy shit, that would be interesting since it's one of my favorite arcs from the manga. There are new characters from it that develops both his character and skills. Perhaps this finale was more like a built-up.

Anyways yeah, I thought the finale was alright. The overall show gets a 8/10 from me. Romance isn't very noticeable but whatever. I liked a lot of the momentum of the matches.

HELL YES. Season 2 confirmed for SPRING. Bring it America.
Stark700Sep 21, 2014 11:41 AM
Sep 21, 2014 3:56 AM

Aug 2008
OMG SEE YOU, BABY STEP, IN SPRING 2015!! :D I'm so thankful they will make a season 2, it totally deserves one!

Haha, I kind of wanted Ei-chan to confess, that's not going to happen soon. XD

It was a nice sport series and a good romance subplot. :P
Sep 21, 2014 4:03 AM
Nov 2008
The anime original part wasn't really necessary ( for non manga readers it's the part related to the cheer ) since there will be already a similar yet much better scene in the future and I actually shows Ei-chan is not that dense.

Anyway great news for the second season. If it's good for NHK we can actually have seasons for a few years.
Sep 21, 2014 4:38 AM

Nov 2013
SEASON 2 ANNOUNCED GET HYPE

Ahhh I'm so glad that's happening, I would have hated to end it just like that with the future uncertain at the start of an arc that seems to be a crucial for Maruo.

Boy I loved this series, I held my breath at the 'fake-confession' scene at the end. I'm bummed that wasn't what he turned up to say but at least it is 100% going in their direction. I feel sorry for the Sasaki but hopefully she ends up with his school-bro :D

I was quietly hoping that the opening happened in the series too, him playing in a legit tennis stadium, hopefully next season or beyond!
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 21, 2014 5:16 AM
Nov 2008
Vexper said:

Ahhh I'm so glad that's happening, I would have hated to end it just like that with the future uncertain at the start of an arc that seems to be a crucial for Maruo.

Boy I loved this series, I held my breath at the 'fake-confession' scene at the end. I'm bummed that wasn't what he turned up to say but at least it is 100% going in their direction. I feel sorry for the Sasaki but hopefully she ends up with his school-bro :D

I was quietly hoping that the opening happened in the series too, him playing in a legit tennis stadium, hopefully next season or beyond!

Regarding the stadium
Sep 21, 2014 5:47 AM

Mar 2008
Loved seeing their date animated. They left out the part where Ei-chan was asking his parents about Florida but I am glad cause they added the anime only part where he went to cheer up Nat-chan before he left. This is gonna be a hellish wait for me. I want season 2 now.
Sep 21, 2014 6:07 AM

May 2013
This anime is surprisingly underrated. It is one of the series that you can´t simply pass without watching it.

Seeing the character development Eichiro has gone through in all this episodes has been just amazing. çyou get the sense of being with a character, and following Eichiro en every step has been a lot of fun.

Talking about this episode, we get to see Eichiro following his sense and what he wants to do as a person, overall really cute seeing him on a "date" with Natsu.

Hopefully he gets the master abilities training in the US

>_< I´m gonna miss this so much

9/10
Sep 21, 2014 6:44 AM

May 2013
Those weren't the words that I wanted to hear from Maruo before he left lol. Great that he is going to America to get some tennis training. Glad to see that they have announced a second season for this. Can't wait for that one.
Sep 21, 2014 6:51 AM

Aug 2010
Best news ever having a 2nd season :D

NacchanxEi-chan is cuteness overload <3 OTP :3

Nat-chan is adorable <3

Aoi's reaction to him being with her during those events was lol XD

To Florida >.<! Thank u as usual NHK :D

And is it just me or did the animation and art feel more fluid than usual?

9/10 :3
Barion-ZaraSep 21, 2014 10:07 AM
Sep 21, 2014 7:03 AM

Dec 2011
I'm satisfy with season 1 and really should get a higher score but it has a weak point on animation.For me it's a 9/10,well 1 point deduce for the animation but it keep the spirit of the manga.
Great final episode and i love how they did add that Natsu moment before he left to Florida but wanted they animate the scene where he ask his parent about going to Florida.Will be waiting for this in Spring 2015 and hope it get better animation...
Sep 21, 2014 7:15 AM

Jun 2014
Yuuuuus !

Season 2 means America arc and more Natsu !

Theres more romance when he's back from America ^^'
Its faint, but his main reason for starting was his crush on her really, and he was pushed by her so many times. She obviously is also feeling something, give it time :P
Sep 21, 2014 8:08 AM
Jun 2011
Vexper said:

Well, that stadium is Centre Court Wimbledon, which is as close as tennis has to a center of the universe. Safe to say that would be the pinnacle of any player's career arc.
Sep 21, 2014 8:56 AM
Jul 2012
Thankfully NHK exist.
Sep 21, 2014 9:02 AM

Jun 2013
nice we're getting a second season
Sep 21, 2014 9:19 AM

Jun 2014
2nd season fuck yeah !
Sep 21, 2014 9:24 AM

Jul 2010
The date Ei-chan had with Nat-chan!
Going to America for winter break to get some extreme training.
The romance is a lot more prominent now ^^
Ei-chan instinctively wanting to see Nat-chan before he goes to America!
So close to confessing xD A bit early but gave an encouragement instead.

A second season and not that far too!!!
Sep 21, 2014 10:12 AM

Jul 2011
Not a fan of the pairing, but it was cute.

AND YEAH. SEASON 2!!! OMFG.

The character development in this series is wonderful, and I can't wait for more.

I knew it was going to be good going in, but I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. :)
Sep 21, 2014 10:16 AM

May 2007
I'm so freaking happy that they announced a season 2 to this. I was screaming so much "Kyaa" when the episode ended and doing the "Yes-Victory" punch, tennis players do when they win a point or match.

The first season was great and I know the second season will be just as good. I hope we also get a 3rd season.
Sep 21, 2014 10:19 AM

Nov 2012
This anime is reeeealy underrated.
Ei-chan going to America, that will be interesting. I really wanted him to say something else to Nat-chan, lol.
Near the end of the episode I kept my fingers crossed that they will announce a 2nd season of this anime and when I saw the announcement I was literally screaming: "Yeees!".
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
Sep 21, 2014 10:59 AM
Aug 2011
Nothing here interests me enough to watch a sequel but the series was fun sometimes.
I can appreciate that Ei-chan was a different type of sports MC from the norm.
Sep 21, 2014 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
The date between Eiichirou and Natsu was great.

Eiichirou is going to Florida.

I'm looking forward to season 2.
Sep 21, 2014 11:28 AM

Jun 2012
I was quite disappointed with this show. I dont think I'll watch the second season.
Sep 21, 2014 12:12 PM
May 2014
Season 2! Season 2!

But I'm super sad that I have to wait till spring! Maybe I'll rewatch this.

I've stopped watching other shows lately, but I've always come back to this. It's amazing. It's just so genuine and real. Florida really is the place to go if you are thinking of becoming pro.
Sep 21, 2014 12:15 PM

Nov 2010
Aside from the spectators, the background details were quite high this final episode their remaining budget must have been spend on that
I liked the date Ei chan had with Nat chan, he was greedy enough to do all the things she wanted to do

I thought Eiichiro's instinct while thinking of Natsuki would turn out to be something ecchi or a confession
For him to come over to her match and flightday just to cheer was just like him

The second season which was announced at the end seems to be covering his trips to the Florida, I wouldn't mind a long arc of that
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1274765

Baby Steps along with Haikyuu! were really great competition anime the past two season
Sep 21, 2014 12:48 PM

Jul 2013
HOLY SHIEET 2ND SEASON!!! *cue Daniel Bryan's YES!! YES! YES!*

Aoi's eyebrow was so lol and everyone thought Maruo was gonna confess XD

I'm so glad I gave this a chance, it introduced me to a wonderful manga and without a doubt the best sports story since Slam Dunk.

I would've given this a perfect score if the production value had been (a lot) higher but alas it's a fantastic adaption anyway. Every match was a thrill and before I started reading the manga, it was nearly impossible to predict how every match would go since Ei-chan could lose anytime. Wonderfully satisfying!

9/10 even just for the story alone.
MoeGodSep 21, 2014 12:52 PM
Sep 21, 2014 1:01 PM
Oct 2010
Great show.. gave it 8/10 . Nice to see it's getting a season 2.
Sep 21, 2014 1:03 PM

Jan 2011
YES!!!! I was expecting it since this is an NHK show and a nice sweet positive show fits their mandate as a public broadcaster. The good news is you don't have to worry about Blue Ray sales in order for another season to be made, the bad news is that they work with a pretty tight budget on the animation.

Nice romance episode with Natsu as we prep for the America arc. Of course Ei-chan isn't quite ready to confess yet (although Natsu has given him some pretty broad hints at the festival and at karaoke that she's waiting for him to make the first move). Funny how every girl at the tournament focused their attention on the couple expecting him to have come there to make a dramatic confession...but not yet...

Much more tennis to come and we'll get to see him go up against some really strong players as well as start to find his own style. And once again, the romance tag put on this show is no mistake...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 21, 2014 1:18 PM

Nov 2012
spring? not winter? ouch, so long. i thought its gonna be long running like uchuu kyodai :(

good thing the date is only around 8 minutes. good balance between sport and romance.
i probably would dislike this series if too much romance
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 21, 2014 1:21 PM

Nov 2010
Volkanon said:
1lau said:
Aside from the spectators, the background details were quite high this final episode their remaining budget must have been spend on that

It's something that was likely planned so that it leaves a good last impression. I didn't expect an S2 at all, so I don't want to sound greedy all of a sudden, but I do hope there's a slightly higher budget.

First and last episodes tend to be like that sadly for most shows even real life action
I hope they get a higher budget as well or at the level this last one was as a minimum

rodac said:
...Funny how every girl at the tournament focused their attention on the couple expecting him to have come there to make a dramatic confession...but not yet...

Just read the comments on the first page and this user said:
_Legna_ said:
The anime original part wasn't really necessary ( for non manga readers it's the part related to the cheer ) ...

If that was an added part it was a great scene to me
Sep 21, 2014 1:27 PM

Jun 2012
Volkanon said:
Sol_Ou said:
I was quite disappointed with this show. I dont think I'll watch the second season.
If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about it?
Nothing, but at the same time there was nothing that I really liked.
Sep 21, 2014 1:55 PM

May 2012
Nice! 2nd season! I was planning to read the manga after the season 1 ends but since there is a season 2, I will just wait then. Hheehe. So happy there is a sequel!!!!
Sep 21, 2014 2:25 PM

Feb 2012
Great ending for season 1!
Really solid series. Definitely looking forward for season 2, which was even announced!
Sep 21, 2014 2:38 PM

Mar 2012
Sad to see the good series ending :/
Awesome episode as always, looking forward to watch the next season! KYAAA~ We're gonna have romance in the next season *-* Tanoshimi desu.
b1GZZSep 21, 2014 2:41 PM
Sep 21, 2014 3:07 PM

Mar 2013
Well, it was a pretty good first season. The America arc was really great in the manga, so I'm glad they are animating a second season.

I'll give this season an 8. If the second season keeps up this quality, and maybe upgrades the animation just a bit. The second season will be a solid 9. Here's to hoping.
Sep 21, 2014 3:53 PM

Jul 2010
Sol_Ou said:
Volkanon said:
If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about it?

Not to be "that" guy but are you stupid or something? why did you continue to watch 25 eps if you didn't even like a single thing? I don't get people who do that.
Sep 21, 2014 4:31 PM

Apr 2014
Dang, what pretty animation! And for a final episode of the season (not series, 'cause SEASON TWO YEAHHH).

For those wondering, Ei-chan's goodbye scene with Natsu was anime-original. No way in hell would that have been a confession scene -- save it for next season!! But it did, you know, gives a nice "was thinking of you" feel so. :D

Near-perfect show. Only weakness this show had was average direction and sub-par animation. That's it. Fantastic storytelling. 9/10

parfaited said:
Nothing here interests me enough to watch a sequel but the series was fun sometimes.
I can appreciate that Ei-chan was a different type of sports MC from the norm.
Baby Steps only gets better from here. My favorite characters from the manga (besides Aoi-kantoku) will show up next season, and the upcoming America Arc is where the manga becomes God Tier and never stops improving upon itself.
currycurrySep 21, 2014 4:39 PM
Sep 21, 2014 4:33 PM

Aug 2009
10th_man_down said:
Sol_Ou said:

Not to be "that" guy but are you stupid or something? why did you continue to watch 25 eps if you didn't even like a single thing? I don't get people who do that.

No need to insult him. Also he said "really" liked, so there very well could have been something he only liked.
Sep 21, 2014 5:04 PM

Oct 2013
SECOND SEASON YESSSSS
Sep 21, 2014 5:10 PM

Mar 2009
Wow. Another season. I wouldn't have expected that.

Good, realistic sports series. Looking forward to January.

Nat-chan is so cute, btw.
Sep 21, 2014 5:30 PM

Apr 2013
Yes!!!! My favorite sports anime of all time is getting a second season. But I didn't get what she meant about him cheating? I thought he was going to confess.
Sep 21, 2014 6:49 PM
May 2014
Holmes15 said:
Yes!!!! My favorite sports anime of all time is getting a second season. But I didn't get what she meant about him cheating? I thought he was going to confess.

I'm guess what she meant by "Cheating" is that he's suppose to tell her that he likes her, not cop out and have her tell him first.
Sep 21, 2014 10:29 PM

May 2012
Dang, in Ei-chan's 'Go to America' thought he thought of Abraham Lincoln instead of Obama. And here I was hoping I could get a version of my forum avatar in non black and white.

I love this series and everything it does. 8/10, watched it both by myself and with my girlfriend. I'll watch it again too.
Sep 22, 2014 2:28 AM

Dec 2011
Awwww, Nat-chan kawaii :3

Dat singing doe... Nat-chan clearly won lol.

So no actual love confession yet eh.

His coach is a sly fox XD.

Hell yeah! Two weeks in 'murica to improve!

Takuma's such a tsundere to be honest XD.

LOL, everyone was hoping he would confess his love...

Good, very good, a 2nd season in Spring 2015.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Sep 22, 2014 3:05 AM

May 2012
Best date Ive seen lately in anime, Nat-chan is really cute, cant wait for 2nd season..

Sep 22, 2014 4:50 AM

Jun 2012
fanshii said:
10th_man_down said:

No need to insult him. Also he said "really" liked, so there very well could have been something he only liked.
10th_man_down I liked multiple things in baby steps but like fanshii pointed out there was nothing I really liked in the show. Also I only watch shows that I enjoy so I would have dropped this immediately if I didnt find this show interesting. Im not that much of a masochist to watch 25 episodes of a show I dont even like.
Sep 22, 2014 5:40 AM

Aug 2013
Oh yeah second season baby! Good episode,but damn Maruo just tell her how you feel jeez :p

If it weren't for the animation and the pace sometimes this show could be great,I give it a 7
Story:8
Characters:8
Art/Animation:5
Sound:6
Enjoyment:10
Sep 22, 2014 6:22 AM

Jun 2010
Everybody hyped for second season, and all I want is full version of Kotobuki Minako singing the ED LOL
Sep 22, 2014 6:29 AM

Nov 2010
One of best anime from past seasons. Love the whole Characters. so many good characters.
I'm just gonna go ahead and enjoy thinking about second season from now. <3

8/10
Sep 22, 2014 8:20 AM
Sep 2014
well, so I finally make an account just to comment this anime..

its been a longtime since I wait patiently for an anime to release each week..

btw...

I have read the manga long before the anime released and somehow realized if the 1st season is from manga ch 1 -72, then if you multiply it with 2..

then 2nd season (probably and I hope so) will end in the most amazing chapter.

Sep 22, 2014 11:28 AM

Sep 2011
Whoa, Eiichirou going to America. That should be a really good experience for him and for the development of his tennis. But more importantly, SEASON 2!!!!!!! The six-month wait is gonna be so WURF.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

51 by 1Konochi »»
May 26, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.