Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2014 10:42 AM

Apr 2014
Listen to this interview with Raymond Francis. We all consume sugar daily so what do you people think of his theory ? Is sugar really that harmful? Or is he a crazy old fart ?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ISgt71CRG2I
Enyo-Sep 20, 2014 11:35 AM
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 10:52 AM

Apr 2014
Can I get a condensed summary so I don't need to listen to this guy talk for an hour?
Sep 20, 2014 10:53 AM

May 2014
idont feel like watching a video but based on what you said i can infer that he said sugar is the cause of all of our illnesses?

sounds like a lunatic to me
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 20, 2014 10:54 AM

Apr 2014
OnlyTemporary said:
idont feel like watching a video but based on what you said i can infer that he said sugar is the cause of all of our illnesses?

sounds like a lunatic to me

Yeah. Sugar/glucose is needed for aerobic respiration, ie life.

C6H12O6 + 6O2 = 6CO2 + 6H2O + Energy
Sep 20, 2014 10:54 AM

May 2010
Sounds like sugar hate.

If you stop eating you'll eventually cure yourself of all diseases.
By dying.
Sep 20, 2014 10:56 AM

Jun 2008
Not gonna watch some video that isn't even linked.

But 2/3 of Muricans are overweight, with 1/3 of all Muricans obese. Obesity is associated with a shitton of diseases but not exclusive to: cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, cancers & ulcers involving digestive organs, strokes. Stop eating or limit your fast foods, instant noodles, junk foods, packaged stuff, and in general, sugar-heavy (note: not carbs-heavy), fat-heavy diet. Eat your vegetables and fruits and actually exercise at least 4 times a week (excluding work). None of this is rocket science.
Sep 20, 2014 10:57 AM

Jun 2014
That doctor is full of it. Sugar, in small doses is perfectly fine, and going completely 100% without it would actually be bad.

High Fructose Corn Syrup on the other hand, is extremely bad for you, and is much, much worse for you than real sugar.

Sep 20, 2014 11:00 AM

Apr 2014
Cause- said:
Can I get a condensed summary so I don't need to listen to this guy talk for an hour?

He's basically saying that sugar is one of the main causes to all illnesses. That includes cancer, diabetes(duh), chronic illnesses etc. It supposedly weakens your immune system making your body vulnerable. 2 spoons of sugar are thought to affect your cells/immunity negatively for 6-8 hours.
By the way, I highly recommond you listen to it, even if it seems boring.
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 11:02 AM

Nov 2008
Tachii said:
Not gonna watch some video that isn't even linked.

But 2/3 of Muricans are overweight, with 1/3 of all Muricans obese. Obesity is associated with a shitton of diseases but not exclusive to: cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, cancers & ulcers involving digestive organs, strokes. Stop eating or limit your fast foods, instant noodles, junk foods, packaged stuff, and in general, sugar-heavy (note: not carbs-heavy), fat-heavy diet. Eat your vegetables and fruits and actually exercise at least 4 times a week (excluding work). None of this is rocket science.

An easier way is to just cut down the portion sizes, it has a lot on benefits without much change to your lifestyle.

Sep 20, 2014 11:03 AM

Apr 2014
People calm down he is NOT saying that you should refrain from eating sugar. Natural sugar found in fruits is very healthy and necessary. You can't survive without it.
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 11:03 AM

Jun 2008
Cutting down portions isn't really effective. The obvious drop of calories will naturally make your body want to consume more. So suddenly eating less is actually a change your body is unwilling to have.
Sep 20, 2014 11:04 AM

May 2010
Sugar is used as a source of energy. Humans are made up of cells. It's not we the humans that use this energy, its our cells that use this energy.

People often forget that, and then they wonder why foreign entities such as viruses and stuff get energy from sugar.

Cancer is an irregular growth of cells in a specified area. More energy would likely increase the growth rate of these cells and thus increase the risk of cancer, but that isn't exclusive to sugar.

We should put a ban on energy instead. Sugar isn't the only culprit.
Sep 20, 2014 11:05 AM

May 2014
havoc0 said:
Cause- said:

He's basically saying that sugar is one of the main causes to all illnesses. That includes cancer, diabetes(duh), chronic illnesses etc. It supposedly weakens your immune system making your body vulnerable. 2 spoons of sugar are thought to affect your cells/immunity negatively for 6-8 hours.
the government is using sugar to keep us sick and our illnesses make us line the pockets of medical corps which in turn line politicians pockets to pass bills that allow them to keep making us sick with sugar

sugar is at the center of it all... the root of all evil
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 20, 2014 11:05 AM

Nov 2008
Tachii said:
Cutting down portions isn't really effective. The obvious drop of calories will naturally make your body want to consume more. So suddenly eating less is actually a change your body is unwilling to have.

It has to be a gradual process though for any results, what you are thinking is if you just cut them down suddenly at a rapid pace in which you'd be correct as it would make you hungrier.

Sep 20, 2014 11:07 AM

Apr 2014
havoc0 said:
Cause- said:

I can tell you from that summary that he's a moron.

He assumes the body can fight off any disease? That's not how biology works. Immunizes sometimes cannot be developed naturally. That's why we have medications and vaccines to help fight these things that we can't just get over.

Natural sugars do not hurt your body. They are required by your body to produce energy. Eating less then needed sugar means less energy produced, which will actually hurt your bodies cells due to not enough energy to function properly. Harsh sugars that are produced manually do however have some negative effects on the body in high doses, but can still be used by converting the sugar to glucose within your own body. But not to the point it causes terrible illnesses. You'll have less energy, and more fat concentration from them instead because of the energy required to convert it to glucose, and the byproducts of the conversion.

He's an airhead that has no grasp on how biology actual works despite saying he is a "doctor".

EDIT: I listened to it until he said that there is just one disease and everything else is a symptom. No competent doctor would say that. That's borderline crazy.
daveSep 20, 2014 11:11 AM
Sep 20, 2014 11:08 AM

Aug 2012
havoc0 said:
Go on Youtube, search for "Never Be Sick Again" and listen to the interview with Raymond Francis. We all consume sugar daily so what do you people think of his theory ? Is sugar really that harmful? Or is he a crazy old fart ?
You can use {yt} on MAL to embed youtube videos.

Some people are lazy and just throw the link.

You reached a whole new level, OP, you're not even giving the link
Sep 20, 2014 11:12 AM

Apr 2014
lupadim said:
havoc0 said:
Go on Youtube, search for "Never Be Sick Again" and listen to the interview with Raymond Francis. We all consume sugar daily so what do you people think of his theory ? Is sugar really that harmful? Or is he a crazy old fart ?

The rules said not to post youtube videos. I wasn't being lazy.
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 11:14 AM

Jun 2008
Cause- said:
havoc0 said:

He assumes the body can fight off any disease? That's not how biology works. Immunizes sometimes cannot be developed naturally. That's why we have medications and vaccines to help fight these things that we can't just get over.

Natural sugars do not hurt your body. They are required by your body to produce energy. Eating less then needed sugar means less energy produced, which will actually hurt your bodies cells due to not enough energy to function properly. Harsh sugars that are produced manually do however have some negative effects on the body in high doses, but can still be used by converting the sugar to glucose within your own body. But not to the point it causes terrible illnesses. You'll have less energy, and more fat concentration from them instead because of the energy required to convert it to glucose, and the byproducts of the conversion.

He's an airhead that has no grasp on how biology actual works despite saying he is a "doctor".

EDIT: I listened to it until he said that there is just one disease and everything else is a symptom. No competent doctor would say that. That's borderline crazy.
havoc0 said:
People calm down he is NOT saying that you should refrain from eating sugar. Natural sugar found in fruits is very healthy and necessary. You can't survive without it.
Sep 20, 2014 11:16 AM

Aug 2012
havoc0 said:
lupadim said:

If you want to discuss about an youtube video, that's allowed. The rule is against sharing youtube videos without willing to discuss anything
Sep 20, 2014 11:18 AM

Apr 2014
Tachii said:
Cause- said:

havoc0 said:

If you listened to the video you would've known that I wasn't talking about natural sugar.
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 11:18 AM

Jan 2009
Come to think of it: in the video game "Gothic 3", immunity against sickness was explained as a sheer act of willpower like "you don't get sick if you don't want to!" or "imagine your healthy self and always keep the image in mind" (not sure about the second one, though).

After trying it out, I've very seldom got sick (apart from symptoms from the common cold), I haven't gotten any headaches, fevers and other stuff.

So Placebo and/or autosuggestions might also have an effect.
Sep 20, 2014 11:20 AM

Apr 2014
lupadim said:
havoc0 said:

If you want to discuss about an youtube video, that's allowed. The rule is against sharing youtube videos without willing to discuss anything

Thanks for the clarification http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ISgt71CRG2I
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 11:21 AM

Jun 2011
havoc0 said:
Or is he a crazy old fart ?

I think that should be obvious.
Sep 20, 2014 11:28 AM

Apr 2014
havoc0 said:
If you listened to the video you would've known that I wasn't talking about natural sugar.

This still isn't the issue though.

Excess bad sugar causes more fat to be produced in storage. It doesn't have any affect on your immunity until you start drowning in sugar. In that case will suppress white blood cells because of the excess amount of energy being diverted to sugar conversion. But that's a common thing with anything. If I drink too much water I can hurt my body. If I sleep too much I can hurt my body. If I breath too fast without actually exerting energy I can hurt my body.

He's not making any groundbreaking discoveries. He just talks a lot about nothing new. Moderation is a common thing in everything. Talking for an hour about sugar moderation is kinda irrational, especially when you try to tie it with the cause of every disease.
Sep 20, 2014 11:31 AM

May 2010
I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of intellectual discussion in this topic.
Sep 20, 2014 11:32 AM

Apr 2014
Cause- said:
havoc0 said:

This still isn't the issue though.

Excess bad sugar causes more fat to be produced in storage. It doesn't have any affect on your immunity until you start drowning in sugar in that case will suppress white blood cells because of the excess amount of energy being diverted to sugar conversion. But that's a common thing with anything. If I drink too much water I can hurt my body. If I sleep too much I can hurt my body. If I breath too fast without actually exerting energy I can hurt my body.

He's not making any groundbreaking discoveries. He just talks a lot about nothing new. Moderation is a common thing in everything.

I agree. By the way, many people do not relate illness to food. They assume diseases come out of no where.
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 11:34 AM

Apr 2014
Thrashinuva said:
I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of intellectual discussion in this topic.

I'm sorry I can't get on your level.
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 11:34 AM

Jan 2009
There's also an alternative explanation for staying healthy in Grisaia no Kajitsu:
NoboruSep 20, 2014 12:41 PM
Sep 20, 2014 11:36 AM

May 2014
I haven't been sick for 8yrs and I eat /drink sugary shit everyday.
I call BS
Sep 20, 2014 11:41 AM

Aug 2014
Everything is harmful.
Sep 20, 2014 11:41 AM

May 2010
havoc0 said:
Thrashinuva said:

Would you care to elaborate?
Sep 20, 2014 11:50 AM

Apr 2014
Thrashinuva said:
havoc0 said:

I thought you were trying to mock our intellect so I replied with I can't get on your level.
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 11:52 AM

Sep 2012
The guy's a quack. The only decent advice that he gave in the entire interview was to avoid dieting. Everything else is complete bunk.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Sep 20, 2014 8:57 PM

May 2010
havoc0 said:
Thrashinuva said:

I thought you were trying to mock our intellect so I replied with I can't get on your level.

No I was making an honest observation. I'm sincerely glad you guys have done some investigation into the topic instead of repeating the first thing you saw.
Sep 20, 2014 9:44 PM

Sep 2012
Kazataro said:
I call BS

But you're also young. Bad environmental influences tend to accumulate over the years.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Sep 20, 2014 9:50 PM

Apr 2014
Nonyflah said:
Kazataro said:
I call BS

But you're also young. Bad environmental influences tend to accumulate over the years.

But it's also not the definitive answer, just like how this guy in the video is saying because he hasn't had a cold because he didn't have sugar, it's a truth.

You cannot base your own personal health and apply it to a mass of people, because that's not enough data. You could just be extremely healthy/ un-healthy by nature. It happens.
Sep 20, 2014 10:24 PM

Apr 2014
Thrashinuva said:
havoc0 said:

No I was making an honest observation. I'm sincerely glad you guys have done some investigation into the topic instead of repeating the first thing you saw.

You have my sincere apologies then. I'm just used to internet trolls.
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 10:26 PM

Apr 2014
Cause- said:
Nonyflah said:

But it's also not the definitive answer, just like how this guy in the video is saying because he hasn't had a cold because he didn't have sugar, it's a truth.

You cannot base your own personal health and apply it to a mass of people, because that's not enough data. You could just be extremely healthy/ un-healthy by nature. It happens.

I agree. I don't like sugar, rarely eat it, still get sick. Doesn't prove anything. (In fact, I feel sick now)
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 10:32 PM

Feb 2014
My diet is the unhealthiest shit in the world and I've never been stricken with a disease, I call bs

Sep 20, 2014 10:38 PM

Apr 2014
Regardless of what everyone says, I personally believe that all processed foods are bad for your health, and that should be obvious to anyone. You setting yourself as an example doesn't prove anything, serious illnesses don't show up suddenly. If you aren't sick now, doesn't mean you won't be sick in the future. So, take care of your health, everyone !
Sackcloth and ashes.
Sep 20, 2014 10:47 PM

Oct 2012
Working_Designs said:
That doctor is full of it. Sugar, in small doses is perfectly fine, and going completely 100% without it would actually be bad.
Most people eat way too much sugar. Small doses sounds fine, until you quantify how small is actually small. If small to you is a large soda 3 times a day, then you're really just trying to make yourself feel better.

Thrashinuva said:
People often forget that, and then they wonder why foreign entities such as viruses and stuff get energy from sugar.

Cancer is an irregular growth of cells in a specified area. More energy would likely increase the growth rate of these cells and thus increase the risk of cancer, but that isn't exclusive to sugar.
Get the fuck out...
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 21, 2014 12:30 AM

May 2010
katsucats said:
Thrashinuva said:
Get the fuck out...

No seriously!
Sep 21, 2014 6:24 AM

Jun 2014
katsucats said:
Working_Designs said:
Most people eat way too much sugar. Small doses sounds fine, until you quantify how small is actually small. If small to you is a large soda 3 times a day, then you're really just trying to make yourself feel better.

I quit drinking soda 6 years ago. The only sugar I intake are the natural sugars found in fruit, vegetables, etc.

More topics from this board

» What is your favorite Masaaki Yuasa anime?

Sorachin - Yesterday

18 by Lost_Viking »»
9 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

19 by Lost_Viking »»
12 minutes ago

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

31 by Lost_Viking »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

22 by SnipeStrike »»
44 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.