Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 4, 2014 1:23 PM

May 2012
I didn't like it. Felt boring for me

4/10
Apr 8, 2014 8:46 AM

Jan 2012
It was pretty nice but I didn't like how she kind of stole Cenco from him... or more like Cenco betrayed him for her I guess but still...
May 9, 2014 4:49 PM

Dec 2008
That was interesting...

Sent with Mal Updater
May 29, 2014 8:55 AM

Oct 2013
WOW this is fucking Insane can't wait for the 2nd movie cenco is soooo coool!!!!!!
love the supercell song at the end!
[/quote]
Aug 18, 2014 1:20 AM

Feb 2008
Maybe it could have been something if it was longer, like at least 45-90min. This way it's just a bad version of Digimon Tamers. Even the characters were a bit like Takato, Ruki and Lee.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 19, 2014 8:42 AM

Jan 2014
Too short, on top of that nothing really stood out. But I guess that ending song was amazing.

6/10
Recommend me an anime
Nov 12, 2014 11:24 AM
Aug 2012
was just great! Ending song was so energetic! wanna download this))
Dec 25, 2014 2:19 AM

Jul 2008
I thought it was good but it needed far more. Very interesting monsters I thought.

Gets a 6/10, needed more episodes or just needed to be longer.
Jan 10, 2015 7:22 PM

Jun 2012
Well at least the ending theme was good.
Jun 17, 2015 10:08 AM

Mar 2015
I thought it was pretty boring tbh
Jun 23, 2015 2:53 PM

Apr 2014
I love this but ugh it needs to be a lot longer, this should get a full tv series, I got really in to it in just 26 minutes and that does not happen often.
Aug 26, 2015 5:47 AM

Sep 2007
Was just randomly rewatching this for the first time in 5 years and realised that Kana Hanazawa was in this. Nice.
Sep 21, 2015 5:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Although there was no bgm, it was still surprisingly fun and enjoyable. I would agree with Archaeon's review that it gives you a sense of apathy. I really like the two very nonchalant MCs, reminds me a bit of Kyoukai no Rinne. The aliens were quite interesting, although I'm not sure what the creator wanted to do, except maybe show awesome-weird-but-kind-of-cute aliens fighting and getting beat up. Which in that case, I think he delivered. It was a cool take on aliens, I've definitely never such odd creatures before with control towers or keeping humans inside their body. I think this was also made before all three VAs became popular, or as well-known as they are now. Although they've all gotten much better, I think they also portrayed the characters very well. Overall, it was quite a creative short movie. If someone wanted to watch something unconventional yet fun, I would recommend this.
Apr 19, 2016 10:12 AM

Dec 2014
Cenco was good but creepy at the same time
May 10, 2016 1:57 AM

Apr 2013
Cencoroll was something that I had been interested in for a while, but never ended up watching. I finally ended up watching it. I have to say that I loved how apathetic the characters were, whether that makes them believable or not. It feels like there was extremely heavy use of symbolism here that flew right over my head. The fact that the characters were so nonchalant about everything clued me into this. That, and the ending song and the scene immediately following it.

What are the monsters? What is control? And why do they have to fight and eat each other?

Monsters have to eat other monsters to survive. Every monster is controlled by a person, but after the credits, we see a human getting devoured (or perhaps consumed) by their own monster.

I suppose you could liken 'monsters' to egos, hidden personalities/feelings or the repressed feelings deep inside human beings.

"You're not afraid?"

That's what lethargy dude asks kininarimasu girl when she discovers his monster, even though he's trying to hide it; mask it as something else. If you start thinking of it like that, you might be able to see it as a very surreal representation of a love story. The 'monster' takes a liking to Yuki (kininarimasu girl) very quickly. In which case, Cenco likely represents letahrgy-dude's inhibitions, sexual appetite and desire for human connection.

If you think about it for a second, lethargy dude doesn't have friends. Rather, he's in a situation where he doesn't want anything like friends. He pushes Yuki away when she says she wants to ride in the car Cenco transforms into. It's common for people to 'reject them before they reject me', and this is exactly what he's doing here. He does actually starve for human connection, so he reluctantly accepts her proposal. All the while, the 'monster' is very eager. In this case, the 'monster' becomes a representation of 'the truth buried under the lies', or what lethargy dude actually feels, as opposed to his superficial attitude. This could then explain why he's so apathetic--his personality is divided into two pieces: his superficial fascade and his involuntary but undeniably honest feelings.

But then, why are these monsters at war with each other? Why do they have to eat each other to survive? And what exactly is 'control'?

To be honest, I'm not very sure. However, I at least feel like my analysis is at least somewhat correct. I don't think it's a futile attempt to try and derive meaning from Cencoroll, and I doubt that it's as empty as it appears. I've seen people criticise Cencoroll for leaving many things unexplained, but I've not seen any such criticisms of anime like Serial Experiments Lain. The very point is to leave those things unexplained and use metaphors as specific or more vague allusions to the truth behind the creator's thoughts and feelings that went into the show. It's often been said that 'actions speak louder than words,' something I certainly agree with. I'd add that they also speak more eloquently than words.

I just can't help but feel that there's something I'm missing here with Cencoroll. But it's also long-since been proven that even if you can derive deep meaning out of something, that doesn't necessarily it had deep meaning to begin with. That just means that it had perfectly shaped holes for you to fill that meaning in with. It's not digging out meaning, but shovelling it in. Just because something doesn't feel right doesn't mean that it isn't. Just because there's a logically consistent possible answer doesn't mean it's the actual answer--for example, in a murder case. One possible answer may fit the clues and contain the motive, but that doesn't mean that it happened. Often, it just means that you're misunderstanding and mixing up the facts in your mind.

But still, I think there is a deeper meaning to Cencoroll. Whether I unearth it or whether I fill it in, if I don't know the difference, I'll be equally as satisfied. And that's the beauty of symbolism: there are so many different interpretations that the 'true' meaning becomes even more obscured than with just words. But unlike in a murder case, one truth doesn't have to prevail over all the others. In fact, the square root of 4 can be equal to either 2 or -2. Both logically consistent; both correct. As long as it fits and there aren't any discrepancies, then it is correct, logically. Or maybe, if you answered '2' if someone asked you what the square root of 4 was, you'd only be half-correct. The correct answer is '+-2'. That's how I see it.

So in actuality, I might be just as correct to say that Cencoroll has meaning as someone else who says that it doesn't. I'm just going to say that I enjoyed the 30 minutes I spent watching Cencoroll as much as I did the 30 minutes analysing it.
Aug 1, 2016 9:46 PM

Apr 2015
Weird yet interesting..I liked the transformations. The characters felt plain. :/
Aug 27, 2016 11:36 AM

Jun 2009
The hell was the point of that?
May 19, 2017 10:36 AM

Aug 2016
wth did i just watch.
Sep 1, 2018 4:03 PM

Oct 2015
Felt like an introduction to the rest of the series, too bad because it would've been great. The characters are all laid back and that is very unique in a sense.

Cenco is one useful monster, I wish I had one because he is so convenient.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 7, 2019 12:44 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty great movie, hopefully the second one comes out somewhere accessible soon!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jul 17, 2019 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
lol god of vore fetish would approve this
Sep 7, 2019 9:11 AM
Apr 2016
Rosa_FOEtida said:
It wasn't bad, but I felt like it was the tip of the iceberg. I think it would have been better as a TV series, as there was little time for any plot or character development, and it seemed like there could have be enough of that to last at least 12 episodes.

On the plus side, Cenco's transformations were imaginitive and the battles were quite good.

6/10 for me.

This is exactly how i felt after warching this, but i rated it 7 instead of 6.
Sep 24, 2019 5:26 PM

Jul 2017
Hard to believe it's been 10 years since the original came out, and I'm still shaking my head in wonder of understanding what is this series about.

Even as a oneshot of the movie and the manga it (loosely) adapted from, I'd say that Uki Atsuya was at the helm of genre-defying back in the day.

Quite a weird movie (that inspired Cencoroll 2 with this being Connect) and stuff.
Dec 18, 2019 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
I tried this again but seems this time around I felt invested with the character but unf the whole climax goes very fast.. also lack of music seems like the whole budget went onto the animation part which was alone treat to watch.
Feb 1, 2020 8:41 AM

Dec 2015
Great proof-of-concept short, good visuals with interesting background technique and great animation.

Score: 7/10
Enjoyment: 4/5
Jun 10, 2020 5:52 AM

May 2020
Even just by this episode, story and plot is seems interesting. A white monster came from nowhere and standing atop the building and human can take under control. Seems they who need a power can brought this monster. Also a monster can be anything you want. Was realized that Hanazawa Kana as Yuki. Introvert guy and cheerful girl into one again. Not an intense fight but it seems just like a prologue for me. I was enjoying this after all, this is cool. And animation is cool this better than 3D for me.
Apr 16, 2021 9:31 AM

May 2020
kinda confusing but I enjoyed watching!
Apr 29, 2023 2:14 PM
Apr 2015
Fall said:
Cencoroll was something that I had been interested in for a while, but never ended up watching. I finally ended up watching it. I have to say that I loved how apathetic the characters were, whether that makes them believable or not. It feels like there was extremely heavy use of symbolism here that flew right over my head. The fact that the characters were so nonchalant about everything clued me into this. That, and the ending song and the scene immediately following it.

What are the monsters? What is control? And why do they have to fight and eat each other?

Monsters have to eat other monsters to survive. Every monster is controlled by a person, but after the credits, we see a human getting devoured (or perhaps consumed) by their own monster.

I suppose you could liken 'monsters' to egos, hidden personalities/feelings or the repressed feelings deep inside human beings.

"You're not afraid?"

That's what lethargy dude asks kininarimasu girl when she discovers his monster, even though he's trying to hide it; mask it as something else. If you start thinking of it like that, you might be able to see it as a very surreal representation of a love story. The 'monster' takes a liking to Yuki (kininarimasu girl) very quickly. In which case, Cenco likely represents letahrgy-dude's inhibitions, sexual appetite and desire for human connection.

If you think about it for a second, lethargy dude doesn't have friends. Rather, he's in a situation where he doesn't want anything like friends. He pushes Yuki away when she says she wants to ride in the car Cenco transforms into. It's common for people to 'reject them before they reject me', and this is exactly what he's doing here. He does actually starve for human connection, so he reluctantly accepts her proposal. All the while, the 'monster' is very eager. In this case, the 'monster' becomes a representation of 'the truth buried under the lies', or what lethargy dude actually feels, as opposed to his superficial attitude. This could then explain why he's so apathetic--his personality is divided into two pieces: his superficial fascade and his involuntary but undeniably honest feelings.

But then, why are these monsters at war with each other? Why do they have to eat each other to survive? And what exactly is 'control'?

To be honest, I'm not very sure. However, I at least feel like my analysis is at least somewhat correct. I don't think it's a futile attempt to try and derive meaning from Cencoroll, and I doubt that it's as empty as it appears. I've seen people criticise Cencoroll for leaving many things unexplained, but I've not seen any such criticisms of anime like Serial Experiments Lain. The very point is to leave those things unexplained and use metaphors as specific or more vague allusions to the truth behind the creator's thoughts and feelings that went into the show. It's often been said that 'actions speak louder than words,' something I certainly agree with. I'd add that they also speak more eloquently than words.

I just can't help but feel that there's something I'm missing here with Cencoroll. But it's also long-since been proven that even if you can derive deep meaning out of something, that doesn't necessarily it had deep meaning to begin with. That just means that it had perfectly shaped holes for you to fill that meaning in with. It's not digging out meaning, but shovelling it in. Just because something doesn't feel right doesn't mean that it isn't. Just because there's a logically consistent possible answer doesn't mean it's the actual answer--for example, in a murder case. One possible answer may fit the clues and contain the motive, but that doesn't mean that it happened. Often, it just means that you're misunderstanding and mixing up the facts in your mind.

But still, I think there is a deeper meaning to Cencoroll. Whether I unearth it or whether I fill it in, if I don't know the difference, I'll be equally as satisfied. And that's the beauty of symbolism: there are so many different interpretations that the 'true' meaning becomes even more obscured than with just words. But unlike in a murder case, one truth doesn't have to prevail over all the others. In fact, the square root of 4 can be equal to either 2 or -2. Both logically consistent; both correct. As long as it fits and there aren't any discrepancies, then it is correct, logically. Or maybe, if you answered '2' if someone asked you what the square root of 4 was, you'd only be half-correct. The correct answer is '+-2'. That's how I see it.

So in actuality, I might be just as correct to say that Cencoroll has meaning as someone else who says that it doesn't. I'm just going to say that I enjoyed the 30 minutes I spent watching Cencoroll as much as I did the 30 minutes analysing it.
nice, did you watch the sequel(sorry for too much boxes, mal is realy glitchy
May 24, 2023 4:03 PM

Jan 2018
Zero substance, but good animation, I guess.
Jan 13, 4:41 PM
May 2022
Was actually way better than I expected. Really liked it!
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Lixo

StuartPot - Jun 26, 2020

0 by StuartPot »»
Jun 26, 2020 8:08 PM

» Cencoroll in Durarara!

mystline - Feb 28, 2010

4 by bloodiemonster »»
May 29, 2014 8:56 AM

» Please read! OVA and MOVIE?!

desolato - Oct 30, 2009

10 by innerchihiro »»
Dec 17, 2009 10:00 PM

» DVD Release

TechnoCat - Oct 28, 2009

3 by kelakagandy »»
Oct 30, 2009 8:42 AM

» The trailer ( 1 2 )

flychansan - Sep 6, 2007

51 by krjmiism »»
Oct 2, 2009 11:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.