Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 29, 2009 10:17 PM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought it was great. I liked the animation a lot and the way Cenco transformed was really creative.

Subs by Koharubi by the way.

Oct 29, 2009 10:38 PM

Feb 2009
I just wish it had been longer...
Oct 30, 2009 12:35 AM

Oct 2008
"Episode 1", huh?

Yeah, that's a good way to describe it.
Japanese cartoons and comics.
Oct 30, 2009 1:08 AM

Jul 2008
I found it rather mediocre. I like the art direction, and that's pretty much it.

Also, did everyone else here find out about this show from the ad in Bakemonogatari ep 7? It was only a few seconds but I thought it looked awesome, and had to check it out.
Oct 30, 2009 1:50 AM
Apr 2008
Awesome animation. Simple story. 1st half was okay but it got fucked up on the 2nd half and also the ending. 5/10
Oct 30, 2009 5:04 AM
May 2009
I was expecting something like FLCL, but oh boy, it was pretty disappointing.
There wasn't really a story and the artwork was okay, but not top notch.
Oct 30, 2009 6:06 AM

Aug 2009
Snoweh said:
I was expecting something like FLCL, but oh boy, it was pretty disappointing.

I liked it more than FLCL which sucked imo.
I'd like to see more of this..
Oct 30, 2009 9:12 AM

May 2008
I found out about it waaayyy before the Bakemonogatari ad.

Oct 30, 2009 10:04 AM

Feb 2009
Well it was weird but actually I like this kind of fun with animation. Weird stuff.
Oct 30, 2009 10:33 AM

Feb 2008
This would have been a lot better if it was an hour and a half long. Still, this was a pretty good movie.
Gets an 8/10 from me.
Oct 30, 2009 1:00 PM
Feb 2009
Seeing a good review on ANN I expected it to be much better. Still, I would like to see more.
Oct 30, 2009 1:47 PM

Nov 2008
When I saw the other promo poster for this some time ago, I thought it would be about some random fight involving monsters, which it actually kind of turned out to be. But, in reality, I thought the OVA was hilarious. In a good way, though. I mean, those transformations; a mercedes panda, and that huge cup of vanilla custard.. very inventive, haha. I was a bit disappointed about the art and the length though. The cenco's were animated well, but the scenery.. was just a bit too simple. It either looked like they used actual scenery images that were 'canvased' with some kind of photoshop program, or, it was just the fault of this hugely upscaled file I watched. And, the end was just a bit too rushed and random. This could have been great as a hour-long movie or maybe even a serie. After the cenco sacrificed himself as limb, they all continued like it was just another happy day in the life of schoolkids. And what happened to the other kid, that fight he started, was a bit too weird, I mean, for what? Oh well.
Seems like all is well, and now I want a nice, chubby, fat, blubby, blob seal as well.

8/10

Oh and now I remember what I wanted to ask; the synopsis contains this bit about a secret that Yuki has, but I don't remember seeing anything about this..

Wait, I think I take my comment about the art back for some part, turns out the original manga author almost produced the whole OVA by him/herself. Including direction ánd animation.. so, well done!
desolatoOct 30, 2009 2:00 PM
Oct 30, 2009 1:47 PM

May 2009
Pretty interesting to watch... I'll put it in same basket as FLCL. Interesting story, want more of it... :1
Oct 30, 2009 2:09 PM

Jun 2009
for just 30 minuets I really enjoyed it
Oct 30, 2009 2:09 PM

Nov 2008
It wasn't bad, but I felt like it was the tip of the iceberg. I think it would have been better as a TV series, as there was little time for any plot or character development, and it seemed like there could have be enough of that to last at least 12 episodes.

On the plus side, Cenco's transformations were imaginitive and the battles were quite good.

6/10 for me.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Oct 30, 2009 2:23 PM

May 2009
A damn weird anime, but pretty interesting ^^
Oct 30, 2009 2:47 PM

Oct 2008
it was interesting... but it really needed BGM ~ everyone is comparing it to FLCL... the pillows really did a good job in keeping the show alive, a lot of this show was dead silence.

also, there was a lot of moments in the fights where they were just standing around giving orders (i guess) with the antenna shit... i was always thinking what the hell until yuki smashed the kid's head with cenco as a baseball bat ~ why werent they moving around much before that is all..

overall it looked like it could be a promising *introduction* to something, but as a standalone, it wasnt all that spectacular.

7/10
Oct 30, 2009 2:50 PM

Jan 2008
The problem I have with Cencoroll is that it felt more like a concept episode rather a stand-alone OVA. There's this little cell in my brain, thinking that "I wish it's a sucess with the Japanese Audience, so it can be a series", but eh.

But hey, you fail to realise, but Cencoroll was all animated by one guy. ONE GUY. Atsuya Uki's Cencoroll could be considered as a equivalent of Makoto Shinkai's Voice of a Distant Star in terms of one man creator. Except Makoto did it better imo.

The animation, considering it was done by one man, was amazing. It's funny that he can churn out better animation than Bleach or Naruto. But there was background to the plot and it ended on a cliff hanger.

What are these monster they have? Why are they here? What is their role with them? None of those question has been answered, hence why I think it's more of a concept episode.

Atsuya, work with Madhouse or Production I.G and make a Cencoroll series. Make it around 13 episodes and make it awesome. And give more life to these characters.

Overall: 7/10
Oct 30, 2009 2:52 PM
Jul 2018
Good animation and music. It should be longer though, felt more like an introduction - first episode - than a movie.
Oct 30, 2009 3:08 PM

Jun 2008
I would give it a 7 for good, but the art was just awesome, so I'd have to give it a 8. If it went on longer, it would of been alot better.
Oct 30, 2009 3:11 PM

Nov 2008
Chrono_Mizaki said:
The problem I have with Cencoroll is that it felt more like a concept episode rather a stand-alone OVA. There's this little cell in my brain, thinking that "I wish it's a sucess with the Japanese Audience, so it can be a series", but eh.

But hey, you fail to realise, but Cencoroll was all animated by one guy. ONE GUY. Atsuya Uki's Cencoroll could be considered as a equivalent of Makoto Shinkai's Voice of a Distant Star in terms of one man creator. Except Makoto did it better imo.

The animation, considering it was done by one man, was amazing. It's funny that he can churn out better animation than Bleach or Naruto. But there was background to the plot and it ended on a cliff hanger.

What are these monster they have? Why are they here? What is their role with them? None of those question has been answered, hence why I think it's more of a concept episode.

Atsuya, work with Madhouse or Production I.G and make a Cencoroll series. Make it around 13 episodes and make it awesome. And give more life to these characters.

Overall: 7/10
Which was what I was trying to say with my comment, but you said it much better.

For some reason, if this did turn out to be a series, I think it may end up like Narutaru or Alien Nine. It just gives off that sort of vibe for some reason.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Oct 30, 2009 3:50 PM

Feb 2008
well although it felt random it was pretty fun. maybe they will make a more in depth show.
Oct 30, 2009 4:00 PM

Jan 2009
Nothing like the trailer, but i enjoyed it? idk what i just watched...but i liked it.
Oct 30, 2009 4:17 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
desolato said:
the end was just a bit too rushed and random. This could have been great as a hour-long movie or maybe even a series. After the cenco sacrificed himself as limb, they all continued like it was just another happy day in the life of schoolkids. And what happened to the other kid, that fight he started, was a bit too weird, I mean, for what? Oh well.
Yeah this definitely should have been longer. It would have really developed the story more and there probably would have been a more concrete ending. I also want to figure out the answers to those questions.
flygon250 said:
It wasn't bad, but I felt like it was the tip of the iceberg. I think it would have been better as a TV series, as there was little time for any plot or character development, and it seemed like there could have be enough of that to last at least 12 episodes.
I agree. Rather than a short movie or even a full-length movie, this would have done really well as a 12 episode series.
Positiveputty said:
it was interesting... but it really needed BGM
There was BGM and great BGM at that!! But I do think they could have had more, yes.
Chrono_Mizaki said:
It's funny that he can churn out better animation than Bleach or Naruto.
uhh I'm pretty sure that 80% of all anime has better art than the normal episodes of Naruto.

i personally thought it was exciting and very fun to watch. It could definitely use some more character development though. 9/10 :)
p r o f i l e 👀
Oct 30, 2009 4:21 PM

Nov 2008
WAIT WAIT WAIT. I looked up some info on the director, since I was wondering if he did some other projects. And.. listen up! This anime was based on his award winning one-shot 'Amon Game' (2005). He decided to make an OVA out of it on his own.. (.....) And now, a couple of years later, we have a movie. I found this trailer on the official website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHX6w0IlBM

I may be crazy, but I don't remember seeing any of these scenes.
What's more, the animation looks alot better as well.

So, either the 30 min file we all just saw was a summary of the movie ór the actual OVA, and has a real movie DVD rip yet to surface!

So, judge by yourself, so we can clear this up..
(In case I happened to be wrong, I'm sorry, but please help)

The New York Anime Festival (NYAF) has announced that it will host the United States premiere of Atsuya Uki's Cencoroll science-fiction anime film during the September 25-27 event. Cencoroll's story begins when a giant monster sends a town's citizens into a panic — except for a girl named Yuki and her schoolmate Tetsu. Tetsu happens to have his own strange creature named Cenco as a pet. Another boy named Shu controls the monster threatening the town, and the stage is set for a battle.

According to the sponsor Aniplex, Uki directed, wrote, designed, and animated the 30-minute film himself. The 2009 film is based on Uki and Anime Innovation Tokyo's earlier 2007 Cencoroll short, which NYAF also screened that year. The new 30-minute version had its world premiere at Canada's Fantasia 2009 festival on July 28, and it will open in Japan on August 22
desolatoOct 30, 2009 4:54 PM
Oct 30, 2009 6:10 PM

Apr 2009
desolato said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT. I looked up some info on the director, since I was wondering if he did some other projects. And.. listen up! This anime was based on his award winning one-shot 'Amon Game' (2005). He decided to make an OVA out of it on his own.. (.....) And now, a couple of years later, we have a movie. I found this trailer on the official website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHX6w0IlBM

I may be crazy, but I don't remember seeing any of these scenes.
What's more, the animation looks alot better as well.

So, either the 30 min file we all just saw was a summary of the movie ór the actual OVA, and has a real movie DVD rip yet to surface!

So, judge by yourself, so we can clear this up..
(In case I happened to be wrong, I'm sorry, but please help)

The New York Anime Festival (NYAF) has announced that it will host the United States premiere of Atsuya Uki's Cencoroll science-fiction anime film during the September 25-27 event. Cencoroll's story begins when a giant monster sends a town's citizens into a panic — except for a girl named Yuki and her schoolmate Tetsu. Tetsu happens to have his own strange creature named Cenco as a pet. Another boy named Shu controls the monster threatening the town, and the stage is set for a battle.

According to the sponsor Aniplex, Uki directed, wrote, designed, and animated the 30-minute film himself. The 2009 film is based on Uki and Anime Innovation Tokyo's earlier 2007 Cencoroll short, which NYAF also screened that year. The new 30-minute version had its world premiere at Canada's Fantasia 2009 festival on July 28, and it will open in Japan on August 22

Dude, you are fucking blowing my MIND!!!
Oct 30, 2009 6:12 PM

Feb 2009
Cool anime I wish they were more episode. Yuki is a weird girl for not getting terrified by these big monsters! A lot of questions and no answers. I want more!
Oct 30, 2009 6:22 PM

Mar 2008
Hmm not bad at all really. Overall enjoyed watching though certainly wish there was more to see. Still favourite moment might be Yuki just rushing the guy with the bat :).
Oct 30, 2009 6:29 PM

Nov 2008
It was a fine episode, I like how Cenco transforms to another objects though imo the character designs sucks, oh also the Ending song is very awesome, Supercell ftw.
Oct 30, 2009 9:00 PM

Mar 2008
I really loved the animation and character designs. But I was confused that the movie didn't include scenes from the first trailer. Not sure how to interpret what desolato pointed out, but I hope there is more. XD
Oct 30, 2009 9:07 PM

Jun 2009
For something that quick, this was a great watch.
Oct 30, 2009 11:17 PM

Jul 2008
I agree that the animation was really good. I also liked Yuki's character.
Oct 30, 2009 11:18 PM

Jul 2008
Yes, I agree that it seemed like a 1st episode
The characters were great I especially loved Cenco
The whole concept was very interesting and creative
I want moar XD
Oct 30, 2009 11:25 PM

Jul 2009
The movie was great.....cool Cenco transformation,that wierd guy with that antenna hair(?) & lots more. Although it was only 30 minutes, i enjoyed watch it & i find interesting that this movie is one guy production. Hope in future he decided to make it longer for us to understand more about plot :)
Oct 31, 2009 1:35 AM

Jun 2007
Loved it so~
Oct 31, 2009 3:16 AM

Nov 2008
I just re-read my post, and suddenly, it's all clear (ahem, lol).
I also asked Archeon about it, since he wrote that amazing review on it..

Anyways, I think this is it. The movie we all just saw, is the real deal. Uki produced this almost all by himself with the help of his sponsor Aniplex. The DVD was released October 28, 2009.

The trailer I posted is from 2007, the same year he produced a short movie/OVA of Cencoroll. This was financed by Anime Innovation Tokyo, who are stimulating and supporting individual anime directors.

That was the missing link. In the end, it wasn't that hard, hehe.
So, basically, if we get our hands on this short, the world would be perfect, haha.
I'm serious, that trailer, those scenes looked so much more badass than what we got. Anyways.. I'm gonna track the internet down for more info on this short.. and praying hoping that he will deliver more material in the upcoming years!

vucubcaquix said:
Dude, you are fucking blowing my MIND!!!
Err, is that a good thing? .. :p *dudette
desolatoOct 31, 2009 3:23 AM
Oct 31, 2009 3:20 AM

Oct 2008
Naruleach said:

Positiveputty said:
it was interesting... but it really needed BGM
There was BGM and great BGM at that!! But I do think they could have had more, yes.

But the BGM was only played for like 10 seconds at a time before being cut off!

The entire thing felt like a teaser. Great concept though. I agree with flygon and Chrono_Mizaki.
Oct 31, 2009 4:08 AM

Nov 2007
This deserves/needs a 12 episode series or full length movie. I enjoyed it even though I'm not even sure what to feel about it.
Oct 31, 2009 5:14 AM

Sep 2007
Interesting concept. I wouldn't mind seeing more, which I'm guessing there will be.

Oct 31, 2009 5:46 AM

Mar 2008
I loved it. One of the best short movies I've seen. The music, animation, execution and concept were amazing. 8/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2009 5:53 AM

May 2009
Nothing much to say. I liked the vibe and it was pretty interesting and heck, Im happy it's somewhat different from all the other shitty stereotype 1 episode anime I can get.
I'm gonna be generous and give it an 8/10
Oct 31, 2009 6:41 AM

Dec 2007
Hope it get a series or something, I need explanations. The animation is obviously its forte.
Oct 31, 2009 7:16 AM

Jun 2009
Too many things are left unexplained and there is little character developement. It would make a great intro episode of episodic anime, but as a single short movie, just OK.

7/10
RazimirOct 31, 2009 7:22 AM
Oct 31, 2009 7:43 AM

Nov 2007
I wished this was an actual series, Loved it !!
Great art too, and it just rocked
Oct 31, 2009 9:28 AM
Feb 2009
The only thing i liked about this was the ending song
Oct 31, 2009 2:12 PM

May 2009
That was AWESOME!
Cenco, I wanna have something like Cenco.
That's awesome how he replaced Tetsu's arm.
Animation was pretty cool, BGM would've been great, but I still liked it even without
BGM.

There's going to be more!! Right!? Right?!
Oct 31, 2009 3:43 PM

May 2009
Yuki was HNNNNNNGH
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2009 4:40 PM

Aug 2008
Hamchee said:
The only thing i liked about this was the ending song
+1

Pretty boring, terrible animation, and little explanation.
Oct 31, 2009 4:42 PM

Aug 2009
Hamchee said:
terrible animation

opposite. i loved the animation. and sounds [of tp or jumping]. they rocked.
Oct 31, 2009 4:52 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was really nice! I'd like to see more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Lixo

StuartPot - Jun 26, 2020

0 by StuartPot »»
Jun 26, 2020 8:08 PM

» Cencoroll in Durarara!

mystline - Feb 28, 2010

4 by bloodiemonster »»
May 29, 2014 8:56 AM

» Please read! OVA and MOVIE?!

desolato - Oct 30, 2009

10 by innerchihiro »»
Dec 17, 2009 10:00 PM

» DVD Release

TechnoCat - Oct 28, 2009

3 by kelakagandy »»
Oct 30, 2009 8:42 AM

» The trailer ( 1 2 )

flychansan - Sep 6, 2007

51 by krjmiism »»
Oct 2, 2009 11:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.