Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Sep 22, 2014 12:53 AM
Oct 2013
xchee said:
That move Miyuki did...was that Cocytus? Because it wasn't as uh...I hate to use the word epic but it wasn't as epic as I imagined. I mean the way it was described in the LN was kind of frightening.

deanzel said:
And that ending sequence was hilarious. Onii-sama was like...

LOL! If I wasn't an LN-reader, this would have been 100x funnier haha.

yes it was and no it wasn't as epic as I should have been that whole scene...was total garbage.
“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”
― Imam Ali as
Sep 22, 2014 1:44 AM

Aug 2008

LMAO! Would be great if someone can photoshop and put Tatsuya face in it. And instead of Jesus they said Jesus Tatsuya or something like that.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 22, 2014 3:12 AM

Sep 2013
Maybe I would've enjoyed this episode more if I didn't actually read the LN beforehand .
Sep 22, 2014 3:59 AM

May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Because Cast Jamming doesn't work against strong magicians, and it is very expensive, and because it is expensive it would pinpoint that the GAA is behind the attack (there are not too many ancient civilizations at high altitude in the world (remember episode 8 I believe)). This was supposed to be a raid not the prelude to an invasion, as such the GAA went out of its way to create plausible deniability.

IIRC in Reminiscence arc Miya Shiba was affected by CJ and presumably she was A class magician.

Training and elan mean nothing if you French knights going up against English longbows or CSA Calvary against a Gatling gun or for that matter a strong person going up against a "Smith and Wesson Equalizer".

The basic premise of this show is that magicians are weapons, and very similar to weapons there is a great deal of weapon development going on. But with mere weapons you are hampered by physics, magic is not, hence the great fear that the GAA is showing.

But most of nameless Japanese magicians were less effective than machine gun or high powered rifles, so why Japan even bothered to train them? On the other hand Chinese were only after a basic shooting training.

Don't forget that Tatsuya was able to identify the origin with just 4 or 5 rings (that is how rare the element needed to cast jam is), now imagine how many rings the "invaders" would have needed in order to make much of a difference in this type of running battle. Hundreds of rings would have been needed, and the scale involved would have been what made it clear who was involved.

Even a few rings would make a difference, if used tactically. But strategy is blind spot of GAA.

No, the animation I believe made it clear (if not the books sure do) that there is a lot of surplus military hardware out there, so the mecha wouldn't have been much of a clue. As for Magicians, if they have fairly standard powers then again it would not have been much of a signature. Had the GAA sent in their strategic level magician that would have been a clue.

You are right here. I bet no one would believe, that global power is using so wasteful and unreliable weapons like those mechas. Heck, GAA would even fail on today's battlefield.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Sep 22, 2014 4:10 AM
Sep 2014
wow. miyuki's cocytus was unexpectedly underwhelming! she doesnt even look angry on that scene. i really want to see her angry. lol. overall, the episode is good but not as good as the previous episode. did they cut ichihara's scene where she was kidnapped? -_- anyway, georgexmasaki is my newest ship and i hope the last episode will be a blast.
Sep 22, 2014 4:15 AM

May 2014
GAA was revealed to be the culprit because of those magic boosters (made up of magicians brain parts,which the anime forgot to include) because the 101st has intel that the GAA was researching and using said magic boosters.
2nd high caliber rifles are too expensive that a country is the only one that can supply them to their army,and even terrorsit organizations can't afford to supply that many to their men.

@ jakk, Miya even though is a powerful magician,she has been weakened by her overused on mental interference magics at that point,Miyuki at that age managed to use her magics even with CJ in Reminiscence.
Sep 22, 2014 4:33 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:
2nd high caliber rifles are too expensive that a country is the only one that can supply them to their army,and even terrorsit organizations can't afford to supply that many to their men.

So why even bother making them, if high class magician can effortlessly disable soldiers with those rifles under gunfire? It's nearly as wasteful as Chinese mechas.

@ jakk, Miya even though is a powerful magician,she has been weakened by her overused on mental interference magics at that point,Miyuki at that age managed to use her magics even with CJ in Reminiscence.

By saying that Miyuki managed to use her magic under effects of Cast Jamming, you didn't mean Cocytus? Because MI magic is not affected by CJ.
Sep 22, 2014 4:43 AM

May 2014
jakkubus said:
darkreaperix said:

So why even bother making them, if high class magician can effortlessly disable soldiers with those rifles under gunfire? It's nearly as wasteful as Chinese mechas.

By saying that Miyuki managed to use her magic under effects of Cast Jamming, you didn't mean Cocytus? Because MI magic is not affected by CJ.

Because the anime messed up Masaki's barrier withstanding those rifles,even Jumonji with his powerful barriers is wearing armor.I don't recall a line that said that Masaki was not taking cover when he was fighting enemies.

-Armies in the Mahoukaverse are made up of muggle's and magicians so those rifles are necessary since those are the only one's that could penetrate magicians defenses.That is also why they weren't using CJ,it would interfere with the magicians and those mecha's was also being moved by magic,but the anime cut out all those dialogue between Mikihiko,Miyuki,Erika,etc making anime only viewers confused.Did I say ep 25 sucked bigtime? :)

Ah yes,but you did forget that Miya's specialty is MI too right?
darkreaperixSep 22, 2014 4:48 AM
Sep 22, 2014 4:58 AM
May 2013
darkreaperix said:
jakkubus said:

Because the anime messed up Masaki's barrier withstanding those rifles,even Jumonji with his powerful barriers is wearing armor.I don't recall a line that said that Masaki was not taking cover when he was fighting enemies.

-Armies in the Mahoukaverse are made up of muggle's and magicians so those rifles are necessary since those are the only one's that could penetrate magicians defenses.That is also why they weren't using CJ,it would interfere with the magicians and those mecha's was also being moved by magic,but the anime cut out all those dialogue between Mikihiko,Miyuki,Erika,etc making anime only viewers confused.Did I say ep 25 sucked bigtime? :)

He was not taking cover, it is mentioned that he was destroying them with Rupture but was tired because of the repeated usage, he only took a cask to protect himself. He could have killed them all more easily with aoe but preferred not to because he was leading volunteers, but he lost patience and finally used Kyokan Jigoku to melt them all.

Anti magicians rifles are good against most of the magicians, but Juumonji's armor was not necessary, he blocked absolutely everything, he was prudent. Masaki's barriers are very strong, even Tatsuya can create a barrier but it will weak, objective barrier is a simple magic.
Sep 22, 2014 5:47 AM

May 2012
This anime keep getting better and better with each episode. This was one of the best episodes so far. The action was so great. Too bad this will end after 1 episode.

Hope they announce 2nd season in the end of the next episode.
Sep 22, 2014 6:26 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:

So it was Madhouse, who messed up here?

Tank rounds, rockets or artillery missiles... all of them have more penetrating power than stupid rifles.
So what, that those mechas were moved by magic? Their weponry was weak and stupid (chainsaw? really?), and due to height they were easy to aim. Something like that is just wasting resources. Fighting like that GAA would even lose in today's warfare. It's 2095 and technolgy hasn't moved at all (what is especially strange, if we consider, that WWIII took place).

But her power is not as combat oriented as Miyuki's. Also there was her guardian, who was one of strongest Japanese defensive magicians.
Sep 22, 2014 7:47 AM

Sep 2012
Tatsuya kind of looked like Venom from Spiderman in this episode.
Sep 22, 2014 7:54 AM

Oct 2011
This episode coupled with some of the delusional responses in here have made this week especially laughable. I really hope this gets a second season. Comedy like this is quite rare!

deanzel said:

Also, this is gold.
Sep 22, 2014 8:21 AM

May 2014
HomeAlone said:

He was not taking cover, it is mentioned that he was destroying them with Rupture but was tired because of the repeated usage, he only took a cask to protect himself. He could have killed them all more easily with aoe but preferred not to because he was leading volunteers, but he lost patience and finally used Kyokan Jigoku to melt them all.

Anti magicians rifles are good against most of the magicians, but Juumonji's armor was not necessary, he blocked absolutely everything, he was prudent. Masaki's barriers are very strong, even Tatsuya can create a barrier but it will weak, objective barrier is a simple magic.

But it wasn't also mentioned that he used a barrier and taking hits from those rifles.From the text magicians with strong barriers like the Jumonji clan are the only ones that those rifles can't penetrate.

jakkubus said:
darkreaperix said:

So it was Madhouse, who messed up here?

Tank rounds, rockets or artillery missiles... all of them have more penetrating power than stupid rifles.
So what, that those mechas were moved by magic? Their weponry was weak and stupid (chainsaw? really?), and due to height they were easy to aim. Something like that is just wasting resources. Fighting like that GAA would even lose in today's warfare. It's 2095 and technolgy hasn't moved at all (what is especially strange, if we consider, that WWIII took place).

But her power is not as combat oriented as Miyuki's. Also there was her guardian, who was one of strongest Japanese defensive magicians.

Those mech in defense from what I remember from the LN's were 2nd hand from WWIII (not sure if it was WWIII or something like a decade or so mech),so they will really be outdated,and that stuff were cut from the ep again.They did have rocket launchers from what I remember from the ep.And Tatsuya's battalion did took significant casualties from those guns,but he is Godsuya,also Kihirara and Isori almost died :)

It can't really be called a one side battle in favor of Japan,Godsuya's battalion was also dropping like flies but he was there to restore them.Miyuki's group though might have it easier because,well of Miyuki :) but also with help from Mikihiko and they had Erika with help from Leo as finishers.Mari's group did have a harder time fighting those mechs,until Mayumi and co. arrived.Jumonji and Masaki also arrived in time to help,because the Japanese magician and muggle defenders were getting overwhelmed from those locations respectively.
darkreaperixSep 22, 2014 8:28 AM
Sep 22, 2014 8:31 AM

Oct 2013
I wonder why it hasn't occurred to the people who are citing the fact that high schoolers are taking down invaders with very little trouble that it's a plot point, and as such, has repercussions in the long-term. Even disregarding the fact that Mahoukaverse isn't the real world and therefore would have some major differences in how things are done, I would have thought that it wouldn't be that difficult to assume there was more involved than the author having a Nippon Banzai moment.
Sep 22, 2014 8:36 AM
Oct 2013
Popka said:
Tatsuya kind of looked like Venom from Spiderman in this episode.
When the face mask retracted it looked like Magneto helmet from the last 2 x-men movies
“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”
― Imam Ali as
Sep 22, 2014 8:37 AM

May 2014
millie10468 said:
I wonder why it hasn't occurred to the people who are citing the fact that high schoolers are taking down invaders with very little trouble that it's a plot point, and as such, has repercussions in the long-term. Even disregarding the fact that Mahoukaverse isn't the real world and therefore would have some major differences in how things are done, I would have thought that it wouldn't be that difficult to assume there was more involved than the author having a Nippon Banzai moment.

And they have no problems with Team 7 from Naruto winning against seasoned assassins and other ninja's when they were like 13?And Ichigo winning against seasoned captain class shinigami's in Bleach,when he took out half of them during Rukia's arc,or the pilots of any Gundam series defeating seasoned pilots :)
Sep 22, 2014 8:46 AM

Apr 2008
darkreaperix said:
millie10468 said:

And they have no problems with Team 7 from Naruto winning against seasoned assassins and other ninja's when they were like 13?And Ichigo winning against seasoned captain class shinigami's in Bleach,when he took out half of them during Rukia's arc,or the pilots of any Gundam series defeating seasoned pilots :)

Don't you just love Hypocrisy? I know I do
Sep 22, 2014 10:05 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:
Those mech in defense from what I remember from the LN's were 2nd hand from WWIII (not sure if it was WWIII or something like a decade or so mech),so they will really be outdated,and that stuff were cut from the ep again.They did have rocket launchers from what I remember from the ep.And Tatsuya's battalion did took significant casualties from those guns,but he is Godsuya,also Kihirara and Isori almost died :)

That stuff would be barely sufficient today and in Mahouka we have 2095. Also Kirihara and Isori almost died because of plot induced stupidity (cause Oniisama needs to shine).

It can't really be called a one side battle in favor of Japan,Godsuya's battalion was also dropping like flies but he was there to restore them.Miyuki's group though might have it easier because,well of Miyuki :) but also with help from Mikihiko and they had Erika with help from Leo as finishers.Mari's group did have a harder time fighting those mechs,until Mayumi and co. arrived.Jumonji and Masaki also arrived in time to help,because the Japanese magician and muggle defenders were getting overwhelmed from those locations respectively.

It was extremely one-sided. Glorious Nippon was just punishing those despicable foreigners. Chinese had advantage for a moment, when they released their pokemons, but it was only a short moment. Also GAA assaulted with justbrute force and without any strategy.
Sep 22, 2014 10:10 AM

May 2014
jakkubus said:

That stuff would be barely sufficient today and in Mahouka we have 2095. Also Kirihara and Isori almost died because of plot induced stupidity (cause Oniisama needs to shine).

It was extremely one-sided. Glorious Nippon was just punishing those despicable foreigners. Chinese had advantage for a moment, when they released their pokemons, but it was only a short moment. Also GAA assaulted with justbrute force and without any strategy.

when did we have giant mechs???

Strategy was attack and run after stealing info,it wasn't an invasion,they just wanted to steal magic tech,and maybe some magic engineers.

Japan was getting overwhelmed until those 10MC's and Hundred families scions went into action.'nuff said.And the ep sucked :)
Sep 22, 2014 10:18 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:

Strategy was attack and run after stealing info,it wasn't an invasion,they just wanted to steal magic tech,and maybe some magic engineers.

Japan was getting overwhelmed until those 10MC's and Hundred families scions went into action.'nuff said.And the ep sucked :)

Those mechas weren't bigger than tank, they were just taller (thus easier to aim) and worse armed.

But soldiers were acting without any tactics. Just like untrained civilians with guns.

Overwhelmed? When? It looked completely the other way.
Sep 22, 2014 10:30 AM

May 2014
jakkubus said:
darkreaperix said:

Those mechas weren't bigger than tank, they were just taller (thus easier to aim) and worse armed.

But soldiers were acting without any tactics. Just like untrained civilians with guns.

Overwhelmed? When? It looked completely the other way.

They move easily and more freely than tanks though.

Japanese defenders were retreating until Jumonji arrived,Japanese defenders were getting slaughtered until Masaki arrived,Miyuki and Mari's groups were guarding the streets leading to the the civilians and students that was with Mayumi,that will be surely be slaughtered by those mechs if they weren't closing out those entrances,yeah Japan wasn't overwhelmed :p
Sep 22, 2014 10:50 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:

And are easier to aim and destroy.

Japanese defenders were retreating until Jumonji arrived,Japanese defenders were getting slaughtered until Masaki arrived,Miyuki and Mari's groups were guarding the streets leading to the the civilians and students that was with Mayumi,that will be surely be slaughtered by those mechs if they weren't closing out those entrances,yeah Japan wasn't overwhelmed :p

Chinese haven't splited JSDF completely, they just moved on a bit before they were smashed by Juumonji. And those purple pokemons summoned by guy who was later ruptured also didn't slaughter many. Also Mayumi could single-handedly take down a lot of Chinese.
Sep 22, 2014 11:45 AM

Jul 2008
Okay time to state something obvious that a lot of people didn't understand:
This isn't the real world.

What does that actually imply ?

1. Even if it's fucking 2095, their science isn't that much advanced than ours
Magic exist in that world so most resources of every country for the last century or so have been devoted to use that source of power. Magic is everywhere, appliance you use at home work with magic, new technologies are based around Magic, Magic is becoming the core of everything.
To put simply, because there is magic there were less need to advance technologies that wouldn't profit from it so in a lot of area, the Mahouka world is less advanced than us.

Those mecha were strong, not a match for magicians but in a war they'd kill countless normal humans. They move fast (faster than a car), possess strong firepower and have a strong melee weapon. They just aren't made to face magician because of the next point

2. Magician are a fraction of the world's population
We've been shoved magician after magician since the start of the show so no wonder we've been so used to see them. Still they are less than 0.1-0.5% of the entire world population. For every 10 000 soldier sent to a war, there will be about 20 magicians to back them up.

It depends on the country but in Japan, magician are like high class noble. If you are born with magical talent you are an asset to the country and you are treated like a noble. Even if you're a teenagers, you have a duty to serve your country in exchange for that treatment. Magician, while having a high rank in society, are also treated like weapons and tools so they are raised as such.
A magician teenagers isn't a normal teenagers. Some of them already went to war, other were used their entire life as a tool,etc. Rare are those who grew up in a family without any problem.
The scions of the Ten master families especially had an intense childhood and were pretty much conditioned to become the next leaders of the country. From politic to table manners they grew up without having a childhood at all and only studying what would benefits their families. It isn't to say that Kasuto, Mayumi and Masaki, while being teenagers, are more versed in controlling a country, dealing with politics and waging war than any young adult in their twenties.

3. But it doesn't make sense, they are still teenagers, they are still inferior to adults so how do these kids seems to have total authority over everything?

In order of status
Government >= Ten master families > Army = Independent Armies > Police > Magicians > Civilians

In first place are the Government of Japan pretty much tied to the Ten master families. They are mutually trying not to step on each other's foot because the Government depend on the Ten master families and the Ten master families doesn't want to go to war with the mother land. Obviously there are also different authority level among the families. The Yotsuba are feared by the rest of the families for being the strongest group without any morals.
Kids like Mayumi and Katsuto only do what they've been learning to do their entire life and have been given the authority to do so by their parents. They possesses a rank higher than the actual army but they doesn't have free reign either. They follow protocol to the letter and are to select the best solution in every case, if not they just might be stripped of their right for succession.

Then follow the actual army of the government composed mostly of non magician which ties with the Independent armies such as the squadron Tatsuya works for. Then Police come into play with the Chiba family being it's major force. Then come ordinary magician like Honoka and in dead last is the rest of the non-magician population.

In term of rank in the Yokohama battle for the character we knows it's as follow.
Masaki > Kasuto >= Mayumi > Fodder soldier and Tatsuya's squadron > Erika's brother > Erika > the rest of the magicians

It'd be wrong to say that most of these teenagers have any says in anything because except for the members of the Ten master families, nobody else has any form of authority and these three have been instructed about how to deal with this kind of situation since they were children.

4. Still how the fuck is any magician able to beat those mecha

It's not 'any magician', it's the committee of First High composed of the elite of First High. They are the elite, magician that might enter the army and go to actual wars in less than a year. Erika trained in the Chiba style since she was little, the style used by the special force of the army. She's teaching how to use a sword to actual soldier, that's how much she's good with one. Even Mari, the head of the disciplinary committee of First High trained under Erika. Erika's brother is a world class sword user. Leo is a modified human. Mikihiko is the scion of one of the most powerful ancient magic family who's just a little lower than the Ten master family. Unsealed Miyuki is one of the deadliest and strongest magician in the entire world which is to be expected of the scion of the strongest magician family in Japan. As for the rest, they're being carried by this small group of elite.
Ask Honoka or Shizuku to face one of these mecha and they'd get destroyed in a matter of seconds. Kanon and Kirihara would have become Swiss cheese if they were alone.

These mecha are strong even though the anime didn't depict them as such. The number of people that can beat one of these alone can probably be counted in the four or five digit in the entire world.
Sep 22, 2014 11:58 AM
Mar 2014
I really think it's ridiculous that the creators gave an undefeatable guy like tatsuya a suit that would make him even more undefeatable..... further more weren't the academies' students something like test subjects for developing magic? how come they are such experts in the use of magic?

P.S.: I'm not degrading the novel, I've nothing against it, it's just that the anime wasn't done right....
Sep 22, 2014 12:59 PM
May 2013
jakkubus said:
darkreaperix said:

And are easier to aim and destroy.

Chinese haven't splited JSDF completely, they just moved on a bit before they were smashed by Juumonji. And those purple pokemons summoned by guy who was later ruptured also didn't slaughter many. Also Mayumi could single-handedly take down a lot of Chinese.

The Ten Master Clans names are not for show, they are the best humanoid weapons.
Sep 22, 2014 1:30 PM
Oct 2013
ayri-chan said:
I really think it's ridiculous that the creators gave an undefeatable guy like tatsuya a suit that would make him even more undefeatable..... further more weren't the academies' students something like test subjects for developing magic? how come they are such experts in the use of magic?

P.S.: I'm not degrading the novel, I've nothing against it, it's just that the anime wasn't done right....

its was more of a way for him to focus less on personal defense and more on offense is why he has the suit. I mean yea with Decomposition he doesn't need a bulletproof suit and with Regrowth no need for biodefense but with the suit he can focus those 2 spell more on the battlefield.

HomeAlone said:

The Ten Master Clans names are not for show, they are the best humanoid weapons.

no they went Strong Magician route its really the Yotsuba that went full human weapon mode
― Imam Ali as
Sep 22, 2014 5:12 PM
Oct 2012
jakkubus said:

The GAA had perfectly adequate tactics, they just ran into two unexpected insurmountable forces:

1) Seize hostages at the convention. They succeeded at that. Until Tatsuya killed them.
2) If that failed, send the armor to seize the hostages at the shelter. They were in the process of succeeding at this until Miyuki killed them.
3) Divert the main Japanese forces away from the Magical Headquarters. They succeeded at this. Though Tatsuya ended this bluff too early.

So yes, there were tactics, pretty good one considering that they knew they would be fighting against superior forces, both in numbers and in talent. Their only failure was not to take Tatsuya and Miyuki being there into account. Otherwise they would have succeeded on all fronts.
Sep 22, 2014 6:10 PM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
jakkubus said:

The GAA had perfectly adequate tactics, they just ran into two unexpected insurmountable forces:

1) Seize hostages at the convention. They succeeded at that. Until Tatsuya killed them.
2) If that failed, send the armor to seize the hostages at the shelter. They were in the process of succeeding at this until Miyuki killed them.
3) Divert the main Japanese forces away from the Magical Headquarters. They succeeded at this. Though Tatsuya ended this bluff too early.

So yes, there were tactics, pretty good one considering that they knew they would be fighting against superior forces, both in numbers and in talent. Their only failure was not to take Tatsuya and Miyuki being there into account. Otherwise they would have succeeded on all fronts.

I had always wondered how the GAA could have miscalculated so bad despite their seemingly adequate strategies. Sure, their info-gathering wasn't on the USNA's level but at the very least, they should have known that the scions of the 10MC would be in the vicinity of their invasion. I do realize that at this point in time, it hadn't yet occurred to that many people/countries that high school magicians could be just as formidable as the adults or even better. And I also realize that they couldn't have known that the Blanche and NHD incidents had been handled by high school magicians.

Wait, now that I'm writing it all out, it occurs to me that the GAA really did the best it could with the info it was given.

V13 explains why they had that little info in the first place. It's really unfortunate that a lot of people won't look past their preconceived notion of the series and get to the latter parts of the source material because I'm really enjoying myself with this.
OpalMidgeSep 22, 2014 7:32 PM
Sep 22, 2014 7:13 PM

Jul 2012
Oh hey a decent episode without a single "Onii-sama!! ♥♥♥"
Sep 22, 2014 7:18 PM
Oct 2012
millie10468 said:
Sure, their info-gathering wasn't on the USNA's level but at the very least, they should have known that the scions of the 10MC would be in the vicinity of their invasion. I do realize that at this point in time, it hadn't yet occurred to that many people/countries that high school magicians could be just as formidable as the adults or even better.

Wait, now that I'm righting it all out, it occurs to me that the GAA really did the best it could with the info it was given.

V13 explains why they had that little info in the first place. It's really unfortunate that a lot of people won't look past their preconceived notion of the series and get to the latter parts of the source material because I'm really enjoying myself with this.

Well, one really can't blame viewers for not reading 6 novels ahead, fortunately there is an answer already in the series: the GAA probably assumed a couple of 10MC members, after all Masaki and Jumouji were not enough by themselves to prevent the GAA from achieving their initial goal of seizing the convention center (and giving the timing, it seems clear that their primary goal was Cardinal George, who could have been used to check Masaki).

What they didn't count on was a strategic level magician entering into the fight, and the GAA is hardly alone in not knowing this, as stated in episode 16 there are 37 or so secret strategic magicians running around the world that even Japan and the USNA don't know about.

And even then they would have won had it not been for the second one (though I don't think that Miyuki's power has been expanded upon or that she has been called a strategic magician, she could very easily be considered one, the only question is whether her range is strategic level).
Sep 22, 2014 7:38 PM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
millie10468 said:
Sure, their info-gathering wasn't on the USNA's level but at the very least, they should have known that the scions of the 10MC would be in the vicinity of their invasion. I do realize that at this point in time, it hadn't yet occurred to that many people/countries that high school magicians could be just as formidable as the adults or even better.

Wait, now that I'm righting it all out, it occurs to me that the GAA really did the best it could with the info it was given.

Well, one really can't blame viewers for not reading 6 novels ahead, fortunately there is an answer already in the series: the GAA probably assumed a couple of 10MC members, after all Masaki and Jumouji were not enough by themselves to prevent the GAA from achieving their initial goal of seizing the convention center (and giving the timing, it seems clear that their primary goal was Cardinal George, who could have been used to check Masaki).

What they didn't count on was a strategic level magician entering into the fight, and the GAA is hardly alone in not knowing this, as stated in episode 16 there are 37 or so secret strategic magicians running around the world that even Japan and the USNA don't know about.

And even then they would have won had it not been for the second one (though I don't think that Miyuki's power has been expanded upon or that she has been called a strategic magician, she could very easily be considered one, the only question is whether her range is strategic level).

Miyuki has been called a Tactical Magician. Of course, it was by Mari who doesn't really know the qualifications for that but Miyuki's Cocytus is supposed to be that impressive. Kudou does later put her in the same category as a certain USNA Strategic magician as well as his own grandson and considering that he might know her full capabilities, it's worth consideration.

Popular opinion in the fanbase is that she's not a stg magician because her AoE isn't as wide as a Stg magician's should be. She can't destroy a city with Cocytus alone, for instance. At most, she's a tactical magician like Masaki so Mari could be right after all.
Sep 22, 2014 7:55 PM
Oct 2012
millie10468 said:
Miyuki has been called a Tactical Magician. Of course, it was by Mari who doesn't really know the qualifications for that but Miyuki's Cocytus is supposed to be that impressive. Kudou does later put her in the same category as a certain USNA Strategic magician as well as his own grandson and considering that he might know her full capabilities, it's worth consideration.

Popular opinion in the fanbase is that she's not a stg magician because her AoE isn't as wide as a Stg magician's should be. She can't destroy a city with Cocytus alone, for instance. At most, she's a tactical magician like Masaki so Mari could be right after all.

I think "Freeze Flame" was what got the "tactical" classification. A spell that can "freeze" all chemical reactions is pretty powerful.

Cocytus though is another matter, though Mari and company all saw it, none of them knew what the hell it was, so I don't think Mari's comments were regarding it. We have not, I believe, seen what she can do with it,

So the range is very much up in the air, and this is just when Miyuki is annoyed. Imagine if, like her grandfather, someone did something to really piss her off.

Personally this is where I think the story is going
Takuan_SohoSep 22, 2014 8:15 PM
Sep 22, 2014 8:14 PM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
millie10468 said:

I think "Freeze Flame" was what go the "tactical" classification. A spell that can "freeze" all chemical reactions is pretty powerful.

Cocytus though is another matter, though Mari and company all saw it, none of them knew what the hell it was, so I don't think Mari's comments were regarding it. We have not, I believe, seen what she can do with it,

So the range is very much up in the air, and this is just when Miyuki is annoyed. Imagine if, like her grandfather, someone did something to really piss her off.

Personally this is where I think the story is going

I've always agreed that there was great similarities between the siblings and those two deities. After reading Satou's interview where he cites where he got his influence for Mahouka from, I'm more convinced he chose those particular deities precisely for their OPness. See, he's an avid fan and reader of fantasy and sci-fi and among his favorites are Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga and the Perry Rhodan sci-fi series which begins to shed some light on his choice of world-building, his tendency to be overly detail oriented, and why he chose such an OP character to be his MC, among other things.

I also don't think it's a coincidence at all that Tatsuya and Miyuki are so reliant on each other.
Sep 22, 2014 8:23 PM
Oct 2012
millie10468 said:
I've always agreed that there was great similarities between the siblings and those two deities. After reading Satou's interview where he cites where he got his influence for Mahouka from, I'm more convinced he chose those particular deities precisely for their OPness. See, he's an avid fan and reader of fantasy and sci-fi and among his favorites are Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga and the Perry Rhodan sci-fi series which begins to shed some light on his choice of world-building, his tendency to be overly detail oriented, and why he chose such an OP character to be his MC, among other things.

I also don't think it's a coincidence at all that Tatsuya and Miyuki are so reliant on each other.

If I had a chance to ask him about his reading list, Zelazny's "Lord of Light" would be the one I would be curious if he had read (and for those who don't know this novel, read it, it would be on any person's short list of best SF novels of all time), though not because both deal with Hindu deities, but rather to get his opinion on the socio/ political aspect of it.

Agree that Satou meant to have an OP. In his afterword to this novel he asked the readers their opinion on it, referencing that this was really a 80's type of hero (he actually said Showa) and not too common nowadays. I appreciated that comment, and he is completely correct on this as well.
Sep 22, 2014 8:29 PM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
millie10468 said:

If I had a chance to ask him about his reading list, Zelazny's "Lord of Light" would be the one I would be curious if he had read (and for those who don't know this novel, read it, it would be on any person's short list of best SF novels of all time), though not because both deal with Hindu deities, but rather to get his opinion on the socio/ political aspect of it.

Agree that Satou meant to have an OP. In his afterword to this novel he asked the readers their opinion on it, referencing that this was really a 80's type of hero (he actually said Showa) and not too common nowadays. I appreciated that comment, and he is completely correct on this as well.

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked out the synopsis and it sounds right up my alley :)
Sep 22, 2014 11:01 PM

Dec 2010
Uhh well, that was a pretty fucking hilarious episode.

But the Masaki scene was pretty good, until it suddenly got kind of gay.
Sep 23, 2014 12:08 AM

Jan 2014
the god tatsuya... your not unbeaten.

Sep 23, 2014 6:11 AM

Jan 2011
I always face palm at how kill happy the characters are.
Sep 24, 2014 12:42 AM

Sep 2008
"Tatsuya, he is dying, help him."
"Stand my child, and walk, for your faith in me has saved you."

Not only can he recover from mortal wounds in split second, he can also resurrect others.
I admit, I am enjoying this show lately. Not because it's good, no, no, no.
It is so terribly bad I am having lots of fun.
It's actually really good if one turns his brain off and decides to worship Tatsuya.
Sep 24, 2014 5:59 AM

Dec 2011
Now that's quite the gruesome start to this episode with those guys exploding from inside out...

I'm quite curious to see how much stronger Onii-sama can get now that his limiter is off.

I could've known they would be ambushed lol.

Dat smexy ice combo between Miyuki and Mayumi :3

Tatsuya's combat suit looks freaking awesome... more stylish points for Onii-sama XD.

ALL PRAISE THE ONE AND ONLY ONII-SAMA!!!

So his classmates from his class and high school are afraid of Masaki now that they've seen him in action eh...

It looks like intense fighting is happening all over the place.

LOL, a swarm of locusts :o

Awwww, Mayumi was cute :3

Rocket launcher guy went poof XD.

CASUALTIES!

ONCE AGAIN ALL PRAISE THE ONE AND ONLY ONII-SAMA!!!

Miyuki was close to having an orgasm I would say XD.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Sep 24, 2014 10:24 PM
Oct 2010
millie10468 said:

I have no issues with them beating the regular foot soldiers since they have an advantage. My issue is with the magician vs magician battles.. they are winning vs experienced enemy military magicians, one even being infamous. Experience almost always beats raw talent, they tried to show this when those dudes got shot (since they aren't battlefield ready they ended up getting ambushed) but that just reinforces my main point even more.

Even ignoring how OP the first high students are, the battles are just so ridiculously one sided I can't get any enjoyment from them. If every side was portrayed as having their ridiculous mages then ok fine, but seeing how one sided everything is, is just boring. I see you have seen hellsing ultimate, well that is a really good example of having OP characters on all sides to make it entertaining. Maybe Mahouka has that in the novels but right now it's just too one sided to be enjoyable. Ignoring all the onii-sama shit and whatever that's one of the biggest problems with the anime for me.

darkreaperix said:

Team 7 had one of the best ninjas in it, not sure why you'd bring that up. Funny enough, from what I remember of the manga and anime, naruto has never beaten a strong enemy without either

Bleach was just stupid, even I was questioning how he did that stuff...
GD1551Sep 24, 2014 10:52 PM
Sep 25, 2014 12:42 AM

May 2014
skudoops said:
millie10468 said:

I have no issues with them beating the regular foot soldiers since they have an advantage. My issue is with the magician vs magician battles.. they are winning vs experienced enemy military magicians, one even being infamous. Experience almost always beats raw talent, they tried to show this when those dudes got shot (since they aren't battlefield ready they ended up getting ambushed) but that just reinforces my main point even more.

Even ignoring how OP the first high students are, the battles are just so ridiculously one sided I can't get any enjoyment from them. If every side was portrayed as having their ridiculous mages then ok fine, but seeing how one sided everything is, is just boring. I see you have seen hellsing ultimate, well that is a really good example of having OP characters on all sides to make it entertaining. Maybe Mahouka has that in the novels but right now it's just too one sided to be enjoyable. Ignoring all the onii-sama shit and whatever that's one of the biggest problems with the anime for me.

darkreaperix said:

Team 7 had one of the best ninjas in it, not sure why you'd bring that up. Funny enough, from what I remember of the manga and anime, naruto has never beaten a strong enemy without either

Bleach was just stupid, even I was questioning how he did that stuff...

Talking about 13 year old team 7,when all Naruto could do was his clone jutsu.

All those soldiers were grunts,it was a hit and snatch infiltration mission (for magic tech and magic engineers) not an invasion.Lu was injured by Chiba Nao,who is as world renowned as he is with help from Mari.He also fought 2 10 MC's scions and Mari who is as strong as Mayumi.Novels did show Mari's group getting overwhelmed and taking cover until Mayumi and co. in the helicopter arrived (scene before Kei and Kihiraha got shot,but the anime didn't bother to show it,because MH sucks :)
darkreaperixSep 25, 2014 12:46 AM
Sep 25, 2014 1:19 AM
Dec 2012
26 episodes... that's not enough. We need more...
It would be great if they made some Specials about the Summer Vacation (Vol.5 of the Light novel).
But well, Episode 25 was really good !
Sep 25, 2014 4:40 AM

Sep 2010
Tatsuya > Jesus. Confirmed.
Sep 25, 2014 6:37 AM

Aug 2008
Plot armor show of the year.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Sep 25, 2014 7:33 AM
Oct 2010
darkreaperix said:

Talking about 13 year old team 7,when all Naruto could do was his clone jutsu.

I am as well I'm sure you are referring to

right?
Sep 25, 2014 8:27 AM

Dec 2011
Cocytus scene is bullshit

wtf was that? Miyuki was supposed to be despairing then and hysterically scream for Onii-sama

but this? pure crap
Sep 25, 2014 12:29 PM

Oct 2013
skudoops said:
millie10468 said:

I believe this is the only large scale combat related conflict so far but the point of it was to highlight just how one-sided the battles were. It brought Ancient magic vs Modern magic into focus (seeing how both types of magic were represented in the disturbance) as well as raise the question of whether magicians being developed solely for combat had gone too far. As for them beating experienced magician enemies, the only one we saw in the entire battle was Lu, whose battles placed him at a disadvantage all three times. Experience beats raw talent? That's a different world you're talking about. Masaki stepped on the battlefield in Sado an inexperienced but extremely powerful magician and blew experienced people away. These magicians might be newbies on the battlefield, but they're definitely not newbies to the act of combat if you factor in the training most of them receive and especially those the children of the 10MC are given.

The battles are boring for you. That's a valid complaint. You wish both sides had shown their OP magicians to make it more even. The GAA doesn't/didn't have the magicians on the level of the First High students we saw kicking butt. If this was a USNA vs Japan conflict going on, I would understand and even agree about the lack of OP characters on both sides. But it's not. The GAA was defeated through a combination of seemingly lazy info gathering (which wasn't all their fault really) and their lack of good magic (note that they trying to rectify this led to the current conflict in the first place).

I personally feel like the anime can't be defended at this point since it's managed to take out the stuff that made people like me fall in love with the novels in the first place while spending more time and highlighting the stuff that we tend to either ignore or skip, giving a skewed picture of the series. For instance, we know Tatsuya is very OP. Why is he so OP? The anime won't tell you. Makes me wonder what the hell anime-only viewers even get out of it. I'm NOT the saying the LNs are perfect but they sure are a lot more entertaining than the anime.
OpalMidgeSep 25, 2014 12:35 PM
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.