Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (22) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Sep 22, 2014 10:10 PM

Nov 2009
SAO is the obvious answer here from recent memory. They had something, then it turned into something catered to horny kissless 15 year old's. And if you aren't, I applaud you actually being able to sit through an episode without bashing your head into your wall by the sheer mediocrity it oozes. You're stronger than I am.

I'll give them credit with the first quarter though.

Another one I want to say is C. Had a lot of promise and an interesting concept, then ended it with a short run before I feel like it even had the chance to catch its stride.
Fear is the mind killer.
Sep 22, 2014 10:18 PM

Jul 2012
Agreed about C Control. Could have been wife decent.

fst said:
mayukachan said:

>boring
>directing mediocre
>hard to care

You gotta admit, there were stretches where the show was all of these things. Ultimately they're overshadowed by the good parts because of how awesome they were... but it has an unfortunate mix of rising and falling action in the middle.

Yeah I'm not gonna deny that the first arc was pretty mundane when I first watched it. It's adapted from a novel so its to be expected that it has some time for exposition and build up rather than typical action overdose.

I'm probably biased but I liked that SSY wasn't presented like a masterpiece from the start, otherwise it would have been the same throughout. A problem I have with HXH is that it reaches a certain level of greatness (Yorkshin, certain Chimera Ant episodes) and it does not really get to that point again.
Sep 22, 2014 10:25 PM

Mar 2014
Whoever goes into Shinsekai Yori looking for a non-stop actionfest though? The show is anything but. It's a thinker's series, through and through.
Sep 22, 2014 11:05 PM

Oct 2013
Ryukatsuka said:
Whoever goes into Shinsekai Yori looking for a non-stop actionfest though? The show is anything but. It's a thinker's series, through and through.

What baffles me is that someone would compare it with sao. I thought the series was a action series but then I watch the first episode and realize it's not. People seriously should stop comparing oranges with grapes.
Sep 23, 2014 4:09 AM

Jul 2012
Tarextherex said:
legend of the galactic heroes, wasted too much time on irrelevant details and terraist asspulls. no wonder star wars is a classic but not that, logh does very little to involve the viewer and its a shame. a lot of the dialogue about politics and such and up being mostly irrelevant because in the grand scheme of things everything was a battle of pride between the important characters while the whole world is pretty much a second thought. still liked the first two seasons but it definitely went downhill after ep 52.

also @shinsekai yori the problem was that the show was simply boring, the directing was very mediocre, a lot of the emotional scenes felt dull, from the tense scenes to the dialogues betweens the characters. was very hard to care. it was hyped becauseit's rare to have anime that are a mix of many genres and such but there's a ton of gems that people have missed that are much better

I hope you are trolling, otherwhise I can't really read anything but shit taste here.
Sep 23, 2014 4:33 AM

Jun 2014
Tokyo Ghoul & Zankyou no Terror
Sep 23, 2014 4:39 AM

Sep 2007
Two of the worst anime's that I've seen, in terms of wasted potential, is arcana familia and Amnesia. In Arcana the first episode seem to promise an epic battle royale where the people that are going to fight each other arent't enemies or out to kill each other. This seemed so promising and then the rest of the episodes came, with only the last being dedicated to the fighting and actually skipping most fights.
Amnesia had actually a good premise as a mystery/romance series if only it hadn't changed the main character into never getting any of her memories back at all during the different arcs and therefore have no personality.
Guess that what I should take from this is to stay away from reverse harem series, no matter how promising it seems.
Sep 23, 2014 5:03 AM

Jun 2013
Mekakucity Actors
Amazing characters, good plot, horrible execution.

but It's still my fav anime haha
Sep 23, 2014 5:15 AM

Dec 2013
keragamming said:
Ryukatsuka said:

What baffles me is that someone would compare it with sao. I thought the series was a action series but then I watch the first episode and realize it's not. People seriously should stop comparing oranges with grapes.

What? :D Anyone actually compared SAO with Shinsekai yori? :D But that's... How is it ... ? wtf my mind is not even able to understand...
Sep 23, 2014 5:49 AM
May 2014
Neon Genesis Evangelion - As the series proceeds the animation worsens, The character loose potential and the ending was unexpected and just horrible.

Air Gear - Big disappointment

Sword Art Online - Poor extending plot strategies, Asuna starts out as an Epic, Bad arse heroin and lowers herself to a damsel in distress as the show carries on.

Death Note season 2 -

High School of the Dead - Great show meant for just some mindless enjoyment, But important plot twist or epic moments are simply ruined by the fan service.

Darker than Black - Season 2.......nuff said

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
sarroushSep 23, 2014 10:17 AM
Sep 23, 2014 8:04 AM
Dec 2013
Diabolik Lovers
Sep 23, 2014 8:05 AM

Apr 2014
MorganWolfram said:
High School of the Dead - Great show meant for just some mindless enjoyment, But important plot twist or epic moments are simply ruined by the fan service.
It is a ecchi show, what did you expect?
Sep 23, 2014 8:14 AM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
Agreed about C Control. Could have been wife decent.

fst said:

You gotta admit, there were stretches where the show was all of these things. Ultimately they're overshadowed by the good parts because of how awesome they were... but it has an unfortunate mix of rising and falling action in the middle.

Yeah I'm not gonna deny that the first arc was pretty mundane when I first watched it. It's adapted from a novel so its to be expected that it has some time for exposition and build up rather than typical action overdose.

I'm probably biased but I liked that SSY wasn't presented like a masterpiece from the start, otherwise it would have been the same throughout. A problem I have with HXH is that it reaches a certain level of greatness (Yorkshin, certain Chimera Ant episodes) and it does not really get to that point again.

I'm not bothered by the fact that it started meh. I'm bothered by the fact that it started meh, got really good, then went back to being really meh for a while, then got good again, then got really good. That bit in the middle really throws me for a loop.
Sep 23, 2014 10:29 AM

Dec 2013
Pretty sure someone already mentioned it already, but:

Another

Really, this anime started out very strong, made you care about what was happening to the characters, and fleshed out its world perfectly within the first few episodes.

Then when you started getting near the end you went, "am disappoint."
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Sep 23, 2014 11:55 AM

Sep 2013
Zankyou no Terror. I'd been waiting for that anime ever since I'd heard about it either late last year or early this year. A psychological thriller from the perspective of terrorist, if done correctly it could be amazing. I'm actually super salty that this show couldn't live up to its potential. I'm a few weeks behind so I don't know what's going on currently but if Twelve had never fallen for Lisa and forced her to be apart of Sphinx and actually have her help them out with their attacks I think it could've been so much better. Lisa already had some psychological problems and I think seeing the effects of her being forced to help them would've been so much better than seeing almost a star crossed lovers thing. I also think the series would've been better without Five. She, from at least where I'm at, hasn't seemed to add anything interesting to the story.

I just feel let down on this one. It's still good but I was (stupidly) expecting better. I really just want more mature animes with antiheroes and I thought this could've been the one show I've been waiting for but turns out it wasn't. Due to my high expectations I've gotten super salty of ZnT which has kept me from enjoying what it truly is. I think if I hadn't heard of it until the summer season started I would've liked ZnT a lot more but that's not what happened.
Sep 23, 2014 4:16 PM

Jul 2012
Cakedog said:
Another

Really, this anime started out very strong, made you care about what was happening to the characters, and fleshed out its world perfectly within the first few episodes.

Then when you started getting near the end you went, "am disappoint."

I never expected much of it. It looks like the typical teenager edgy shit from the outside, and it turned out to be true.

PA Works just can't do horror/mystery anime correctly.
Sep 23, 2014 4:21 PM

Aug 2014
SAO
Sep 23, 2014 4:23 PM

Apr 2013
AbbyArtavia said:
Diabolik Lovers
this ever had potential?
Sep 23, 2014 4:24 PM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:

PA Works just can't do anime correctly.

lemme help you out friend
Sep 23, 2014 4:26 PM

Oct 2012
hybreezy said:
mayukachan said:

PA Works just can't do anime correctly.

Hanasaku Iroha was quite good :(
Sep 23, 2014 4:28 PM

Sep 2014
Nanet said:
SAO

I completely agree!
Sep 23, 2014 4:29 PM

Sep 2013
Feaor said:
hybreezy said:

Sep 23, 2014 4:32 PM

Jul 2013
terror in resonance- it became cliche and predictable with the appearance of 5. also, lots of unanswered questions even though we have 1 episode left

aldnoah zero- this show had an awesome 1st episode. i thought we were going to see conflicts on a planetary scale but that wasn't the case at all. instead we only see a couple martians fighting an unremarkable set of characters who have a lot of issues

canaan- but this is pa works
Sep 23, 2014 4:33 PM

Jul 2012
Feaor said:
hybreezy said:

Nagiasu's alright as well
Sep 23, 2014 4:37 PM

Feb 2013
mayukachan said:
Feaor said:

Nagiasu's alright as well
so is uchouten kazoku
Sep 23, 2014 7:30 PM

Jun 2014
MCA
Sep 23, 2014 8:35 PM

Sep 2011
Aku no Hana
Sep 23, 2014 8:39 PM

Nov 2009
For me it might have been Ergo Proxxy . . . The first episode or two were some of the best episodes I have ever seen . . . And then after that it kind of just went downhill.
Sep 23, 2014 9:55 PM
Jul 2012
Danpmss said:
Tarextherex said:
legend of the galactic heroes, wasted too much time on irrelevant details and terraist asspulls. no wonder star wars is a classic but not that, logh does very little to involve the viewer and its a shame. a lot of the dialogue about politics and such and up being mostly irrelevant because in the grand scheme of things everything was a battle of pride between the important characters while the whole world is pretty much a second thought. still liked the first two seasons but it definitely went downhill after ep 52.

also @shinsekai yori the problem was that the show was simply boring, the directing was very mediocre, a lot of the emotional scenes felt dull, from the tense scenes to the dialogues betweens the characters. was very hard to care. it was hyped becauseit's rare to have anime that are a mix of many genres and such but there's a ton of gems that people have missed that are much better

I hope you are trolling, otherwhise I can't really read anything but shit taste here.

And here's why MAL forums are a joke

mayukachan said:

Dude, I think you just don't like it because I disagree with those. It's not as hyped as other bigger shows, but reason why it was hyped is because:
- it's a serious anime (no fanservice, boobs, asspulls, filler etc.)
- dystopian speculative sci-fi setting; not done in anime usually
- laced story telling style; piece the puzzles together; foreshadowing well done

You didn't refute anything about the directing. A lot of slower paced anime with lots of foreshadowing have way better means of storytelling rather than infodumps. SSY was indeed popular because it was a serious anime with a unique premise in a year full of school comedies and SAO. Having seen SSY after seeing many other sci-fi anime it just wasn't very special, it had a couple of unique ideas but nothing in the way that they were presented stood with me.
Sep 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Mar 2012
Feaor said:
hybreezy said:

I agree...as was Angel Beats, as was Nagi no Asukara, as was Uchoten Kazoku, as was Another (even though many disagree).

The problem is when P.A. Works does anime badly, they do it REALLY badly. Case and point...Glasslip and RDG: Red Data Girl (ugh, just when I was getting that out of the back of my mind).
Sep 23, 2014 9:59 PM

Jul 2012
Tarextherex said:
You didn't refute anything about the directing. A lot of slower paced anime with lots of foreshadowing have way better means of storytelling rather than infodumps. SSY was indeed popular because it was a serious anime with a unique premise in a year full of school comedies and SAO. Having seen SSY after seeing many other sci-fi anime it just wasn't very special, it had a couple of unique ideas but nothing in the way that they were presented stood with me.

The directing was pretty good overall. I didn't see any huge issues with it other than one or two episodes when they switched directors (I forgot which episode number)
I've seen a fair bit of sci-fi and dystopian and it stood out for me, so the end result was that you just didn't like it because plenty of people experienced with the genre did enjoy it and your arguments can be refuted as well.

Emotional scenes too, it's pretty subjective. SSY wasn't the type of show to make me cry but it was for other people. Likewise, something like Clannad After Story, some people didn't give a shit when -blank- died or -blank-. It's up to the viewer entirely.

Also...Info dumps? There weren't that many and it is a novel we're adapting so it's not that surprising. Have you seen Mahouka? It's even worse.
Sep 23, 2014 10:04 PM

Mar 2012
I think the anime with the most wasted potential so far from the summer season I'd say is either Zankyou no Terror or Tokyo Ghoul.

I still consider both anime "very good," but Zankyou no Terror should be considered a God tier anime considering the people behind and it's plot, but it's just "pretty good." Tokyo Ghoul was an anime that I thought had a FANTASTIC final episode...but two main problems kept this anime from being fantastic. It's the fact that the series dragged it's heels a bit on the main plot, while at the same time rushed things a little too quickly. It's got a bunch of great characters that when they had the chance to develop, we're great. However, due to the content that was in the final episode, it was left on a "complete cliffhanger" and truly needs a second season to "explain itself."
Sep 23, 2014 10:20 PM

Oct 2008
Edit
Sep 23, 2014 10:58 PM

Dec 2013
Forgot to mention:

Paranoia Agent

Again, strong start, but what's up with that ending?
It's one of those endings in an anime where you go: "df is happening?"
Basically, for anyone that doesn't know what happened:
Paranoia Agent tried to jam the whole idea of "the matrix [on drugs]" in your face within a few episodes. They did this right after revealing what the real reason behind the conflict in the story was. They pretty much ignored that, and went "ok matrix time".
It was very poorly done.
It still bothers me to this day.

Whoever thought making the final episodes that way was a good idea, was high.
Whoever liked it, was high.
If that ending was from the original source material, the writer was high.
high high high usagi drop
CakedogSep 23, 2014 11:12 PM
Sep 23, 2014 11:05 PM
Oct 2013
Arcana Famiglia so much wasted potential
Sep 24, 2014 3:28 AM

Mar 2013
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei:Nice setting but quickly turned into one of the worst written gary-stu shows I ve seen with no real plot.

Sep 24, 2014 3:33 AM

Feb 2013
From just the Summer season Znt, Fate/Illya s2 and Glasslip severely disappointed me. Znt felt like it just went nowhere quickly after such a strong couple of opening episodes. I enjoyed Fate/Illya s1 because of it's hilarious and interesting action scenes which s2 did not supply. And I honestly don't think Glasslip needs any explanation.
Sep 24, 2014 3:37 AM

Oct 2008
OriginANIME said:
Aku no Hana

The rotoscoping animation was hardly the main problem with that anime.
Sep 24, 2014 10:48 AM

Jul 2012
mbdsquad said:
Arcana Famiglia so much wasted potential

Definitely. Solid/above average first episode, shit everything else, garbage ending.
Sep 24, 2014 10:51 AM

Apr 2014
mbdsquad said:
I like your signature :)
Sep 24, 2014 10:57 AM

Feb 2010
Enjoying Aku no Hana for the moe character designs is doing it wrong :/
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 24, 2014 11:49 AM
Oct 2010
I think I mentioned mahouka already but AZ is another now that I think about it.

Two factions, one setup as monarchy with an autonomous military and multiple splinter factions and "overwhelming firepower", the other being a united force due to a common enemy.

There was the potential here for politics (interaction with different factions, relationship with the emperor etc), grand strategy, skilled, intelligent and just plain awesome commanders, skilled no name soldiers, awesome battles and a decent plot.

Instead we got awful mecha action/battles, almost no political maneuvering, some of the worst characters in anime and a terrible plot.
Sep 24, 2014 11:59 AM
Oct 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
mbdsquad said:
I like your signature :)

Glad to we both like it.
Sep 24, 2014 12:05 PM

Feb 2010
After just finishing Nobunaga Concerto I'll have to add it to the list. One of the worst cases of an anime ending prematurely and barely even starting to tap all the potential it undoubtedly has. A shame, really.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 24, 2014 12:13 PM

Dec 2013
amateur said:
OriginANIME said:
Aku no Hana

I actually loved the rotoscoping. I thought I'd come upon something truly unique after its comparatively organic and atmospheric ep1. I can appreciate what it was trying to do, unfortunately none of it was believable for me--high school setting esp. Those MCs...blech.
Sep 24, 2014 12:20 PM

Sep 2012
Yeah, if anything, the rotoscoping was the best part of this anime.
Sep 24, 2014 1:22 PM
Jul 2013
JD2411 said:
the most recent example I can think of is zankyou no terror

totally agree
Sep 24, 2014 1:24 PM

May 2013
amateur said:
OriginANIME said:
Aku no Hana

That difference is fucking insane. My god.
Sep 24, 2014 1:33 PM

Jun 2011
SetsukoHara said:
Yeah, if anything, the rotoscoping was the best part of this anime.

how? I haven't seen it but damn does that look ugly, especially compared next to the manga.
Sep 24, 2014 1:35 PM

Dec 2013
Gymkata said:
amateur said:

I actually loved the rotoscoping. I thought I'd come upon something truly unique after its comparatively organic and atmospheric ep1. I can appreciate what it was trying to do, unfortunately none of it was believable for me--high school setting esp. Those MCs...blech.

I think the point was to make the viewer uncomfortable.
The rotoscoping helped with that.
Pages (22) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

125 by Marloges »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 8 hours ago

9 by traed »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 3 hours ago

10 by iThink »»
23 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

89 by MyFriendIbis »»
27 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

971 by wedsa5 »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.