Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 19, 2014 7:48 PM

Sep 2014
Hello, all

I'm brand new to the site, and fairly new to anime as well.

My two favorites at the moment are Elfen Lied and Chobits.

I prefer anime that are mature, a little gritty, a little sexy, humorous, and well written.

I invite you to have a look at my admittedly short list, and any recommendations are welcome.

Thx,

Seinen_chan
Seinen_chanSep 19, 2014 8:13 PM
Sep 19, 2014 8:39 PM

Dec 2012
Hello there.
I recommend:

Baccano!(action with supernatural & historical theme)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex(action with mystery, drama, & sci-fi)

Psycho-Pass(action with mystery & sci-fi)

Sword of the Stranger(action-adventure with historical theme)

Eden of the East(thriller with mystery, & romance)

You are welcome.
I like anime.
Sep 19, 2014 8:45 PM

Jun 2014
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Sep 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Jun 2014
Because you liked Elfen Lied,

Higurashi.
Sep 19, 2014 9:49 PM
Sep 19, 2014 10:06 PM

Jun 2010
SolviteSekai said:
these charts are fucking terrible.

Sep 20, 2014 5:59 AM

May 2012
Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to lu Onna might have some appeal. It's an offshoot of the famous Lupin series about thieves. Mine Fujiko is a side character in the original; here she takes center stage. Okada Mari's script ventures into the Gothic at the end, but it does have the sex and humor parts you seek.

Another option is Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo. Ryoko is the drop-dead gorgeous head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo police. She has designs on her male subordinate, but he is either too dense or too cagey to respond. The series starts with a "monster-of-the-week" approach but gets better later on. The repartee between the main characters makes this show for me.

Hyouge Mono has only a few sexual references here and there, but it fits your other requests. It recounts the events surrounding the assassination of Oda Nobunaga, the warlord who began the unification of Japan in the 16th century, and follows the story for some years thereafter. You might want to read a bit on the actual history of the period before watching this, though, since the author's version is not the canonical version. (Each episode begins with the disclaimer, "this is a work of fiction," for that reason.)

Monster is mature and gritty, but not very humorous or sexy. It's still one of the best television series I have ever watched in any medium.

Usagi Drop concerns an unmarried thirty-year-old salaryman who becomes the caretaker for a five-year-old girl. Not much sex here, but it is mature and humorous, and perhaps gritty as well as it portrays the problems of single-fatherhood in Japan.

Finally I'll suggest two shows by Studio Brains-Base -- Baccano! and Kurenai. The first has an adult cast and is set in the US during Prohibition. Most of the cast are members of various criminal gangs, but some of them have a secret ability. Kurenai pairs a sixteen-year-old boy with a seven-year-old kidnapped heiress, but the story itself has little to do with childhood.
Sep 20, 2014 7:14 AM

Sep 2014
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.
Sep 20, 2014 7:28 AM

Nov 2013
You could try out Bakemonogatari (15 episodes), it fits your request well and after 1 episode, you will either be extremely fascinated or extremely bored.
Sep 20, 2014 7:35 AM

Dec 2012
Seinen_chan said:
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

It's not a problem.
I like anime.

More topics from this board

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - 1 hour ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

7 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

13 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» I find it absolutely absurd I can’t find a manga with gay marriage legalized

isseixkoneko - 3 hours ago

0 by isseixkoneko »»
3 hours ago

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.