Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 19, 2014 7:14 AM

Jun 2013
I just finished up an essay on this topic and wanted to know some general opinions. I thought the greater majority were all for it, however Whilst looking around the internet i was surprised to see that Greenpeace are very much against it and the sentiment is shared by many. After reading various studies and such i'm still having difficulties positioning myself against it. Many of the arguments against it were those of "but there are other options to combat (for example) poor nutrition, without the need for genetically modifying crops".. which seems like a bit of a baseless statement to me. A more viable argument is that it could interfere with organic farms, which i recognise, however surely with tight enough regulation this can be minimised or completely stopped?

..but i guess that since I've only spoken with my friends about it and we may just all be bias from being manipulated into loving it by our genetics lecturer :P

Anyway, This topic genuinely interested me and so i was just curious to know what sort of feeling people had towards it. And if they had any arguments to contribute for or against it
Sep 19, 2014 7:18 AM

Jul 2013
Sep 19, 2014 7:19 AM

Jul 2013
Oh I had the wrong kind of genetic engineering in mind :P

Well in this I'm not necessarily against it, but messing with nature can be a very risky thing to do. The side effects it could have could be disastrous, as such great precaution is necessary.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Sep 19, 2014 7:20 AM

Feb 2012
Oh, yeah, I'm totally in for that. Can't wait until I get one of those genetically engineered catgirls!
Sep 19, 2014 7:24 AM

Jul 2013
Wickelkind said:
Oh, yeah, I'm totally in for that. Can't wait until I get one of those genetically engineered catgirls!

lol there's that side too isn't there? xD
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Sep 19, 2014 7:27 AM

Jan 2012
I prefer things natural - the way God made them.

It's unappreciative pricks that aren't satisfied with what God gave them that take it upon themselves to make changes to God-given genetic material for whatever short-term benefits they desire, ignoring any potential long-term harmful effects / environmental pollution, etc.

There's only one case where it should be considered:
Sep 19, 2014 7:29 AM

May 2012
nya~ girls best.
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Sep 19, 2014 7:35 AM

Jan 2011
Cat girl slave trading seems like a dream job.
Sep 19, 2014 7:38 AM

Jun 2013
Now considering changing my major to biotech and trying to make catgirls. Thanks MAL.
Sep 19, 2014 7:43 AM

Feb 2012
PLP said:
Now considering changing my major to biotech and trying to make catgirls. Thanks MAL.
That's the right spirit, pal!
Sep 19, 2014 10:42 AM

Mar 2014
Yeah, No thanks.
Sep 19, 2014 11:00 AM

Nov 2008
Genetic engineering is fine for most civilian uses (although more research needs to be done before it's used in food for animals and humans even though it does happen now is the time to do so before it gets completely out of hand) also genetic engineering for non-civilian purposes must always stay illegal as it's too dangerous if they escape. I don't like the idea of artificial human weapons and other biological organisms walking the Earth, it's a recipe for disaster.

Sep 19, 2014 11:01 AM

Apr 2014
I wanna be a catgirl.

Science help.
Sep 19, 2014 11:08 AM

May 2010

To be quick, you live in a world full of genetically modified foods, and should they all disappear every one of you would probably be pretty sad about it.
Sep 19, 2014 12:52 PM

May 2014
that splice movie was funny

mutant experiment sex ftw
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 19, 2014 12:54 PM

Sep 2014
SForSynthesizer said:
Yeah, No thanks.

I want this as a pet. where could I buy it?

Sep 19, 2014 1:00 PM

Mar 2008
You mean gentically modified food? I dont like the government or corporations disturbing natural order only to gain proffit. We dont know enough about every function of every gene of DNA for this to be guaranteed safe. Improved farming methods are better practice. Im more okay with things like making glow in the dark trees to replace street lights and whatnot but that may disturn ecosystems as well so they should be made infertal.
Sep 19, 2014 1:06 PM

Mar 2013
Because companies like Monsanto make crops that don't produce seeds, so in stead of a farmer essentially being self-sustainable, regrowing crops from the seeds of last year's harvest, they're forced to buy seeds from Monsanto again. This is a disgusting practice that basically enslaves farmers to Monsanto, and could potentially lead to Monsanto holding a monopoly over all grown food in America and maybe even the world, but I might be committing the "slippery slope fallacy" here.
Sep 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Jan 2014
You people have learnt nothing from FMA. Tsk tsk.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 19, 2014 2:27 PM

May 2014
RedRoseFring said:
you talking about that dog girl or sometihng?

not like youd be able to merge an existing conciousness with another being through genetics anyway so your point is pointless
Sep 19, 2014 2:50 PM

Jan 2009
GM foods causes cancer but that is just fear mongering

im all for GM foods and genetic engineering or eugenics in general
Sep 19, 2014 4:41 PM

Aug 2014
OnlyTemporary said:
RedRoseFring said:

not like youd be able to merge an existing conciousness with another being through genetics anyway so your point is pointless

The world may never know.
Sep 19, 2014 4:44 PM

Jun 2014
OnlyTemporary said:
RedRoseFring said:

ur pro
Sep 19, 2014 7:08 PM

Oct 2012
PLP said:
i was surprised to see that Greenpeace are very much against it
Why would you be surprised that a terrorist group is against human advancement?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 19, 2014 10:31 PM

Oct 2012
i dont care for it since it will probably happen even if you did stop it
RRRRRRRRRR
Sep 19, 2014 10:51 PM

Jul 2014
Creating cat girls just to fulfill your sexual fantasies? How about no.
Sep 19, 2014 11:04 PM

Jan 2014
Here are my main problems with GM foods:

(1) Patents on foods. Multinationals like Monsanto have GM crops like corn and soybeans. Specifically the "Roundup-Ready" lines of crops. Basically this chemical called Roundup kills everything, plants, bugs, small children, except for these GM crops. So you plant the crops, spray everything down with Roundup, and voila! no bugs or weeds. It's a really cool concept. Except that Monsanto holds a patent on those crops. Having them in your possession could be a crime. In other words, they own the intellectual property rights to a food. So what? Big deal, right? Except that leads to point #2...

(2) GM crops are extremely aggressive and cross-contaminate natural crops. So let's say you have a huge farm where GM Roundup Ready corn is being grown. Next door Farmer Jack is trying to grow organic natural corn. A little wind and cross-pollination, and suddenly Farmer Jack's corn is no longer all natural, and to make things worse, he is in possession of patented GM corn that he has no legal right to grow. When Monsanto finds this out, they file a lawsuit against Farmer Jack and ruin him. I'm not making this crap up; this story happens all the time.

Just ask the question, what happens when a company gets a monopoly on food? Bad things, my friends, bad things.
Sep 20, 2014 4:14 AM

Apr 2012
JonyJC said:
Cat girl slave trading seems like a dream job.

I'll only buy untainted virgins. Don't bother selling me used goods.
Sep 20, 2014 5:41 AM

Jun 2013
Jackrabb1t said:
Here are my main problems with GM foods:

(1) Patents on foods. Multinationals like Monsanto have GM crops like corn and soybeans. Specifically the "Roundup-Ready" lines of crops. Basically this chemical called Roundup kills everything, plants, bugs, small children, except for these GM crops. So you plant the crops, spray everything down with Roundup, and voila! no bugs or weeds. It's a really cool concept. Except that Monsanto holds a patent on those crops. Having them in your possession could be a crime. In other words, they own the intellectual property rights to a food. So what? Big deal, right? Except that leads to point #2...

(2) GM crops are extremely aggressive and cross-contaminate natural crops. So let's say you have a huge farm where GM Roundup Ready corn is being grown. Next door Farmer Jack is trying to grow organic natural corn. A little wind and cross-pollination, and suddenly Farmer Jack's corn is no longer all natural, and to make things worse, he is in possession of patented GM corn that he has no legal right to grow. When Monsanto finds this out, they file a lawsuit against Farmer Jack and ruin him. I'm not making this crap up; this story happens all the time.

Just ask the question, what happens when a company gets a monopoly on food? Bad things, my friends, bad things.

Oh wow, we were only taught about the science side.. I never even stopped to consider the legal parts. Sometimes i forget that there is more to life than the stuff i'm taught :P All this interplay between different aspects of society escaped my notice for so long.. here comes the shame feels..

But with that said, i feel that the more significant negative aspect of that comes through the act of patenting. Of course farmer Jack isn't going to be too pleased, patent or not, but contributions to current agricultural practices aside (I push it aside because i agree with you, and concede that my knowledge on the matter is not even close to discussion a solution).

Even with the involvement of patenting, expanding the agriculture industry with use of GM crops that are tolerant to harsh abiotic conditions seems to be a pretty positive prospect. If such crops are being used than its unlikely that any organic crops will be growing in the vicinity. Plus there is GM technology not focused on agriculture! When i was looking through resources i found a paper about altering the tobacco(i think) plant genome so that it would (do science-ey stuff to) take up ~twice as many heavy metals from the soil, for decontamination. I just thought that was pretty cool :P

Thank you, i'm feeling more enlightened on the subject now! :)
Sep 20, 2014 5:43 AM

May 2009
I don't have anything against GM foods. They could help solve the problem of malnutrition in impoverished and arid regions.

The main issue has already been mentioned, that is, the patents on food. The consequences of this dangerous practice could be disastrous. So while I'm fine with producing GM crops, the regulation on patents needs to be discussed, as does the issue of contamination of original seeds.
Sep 20, 2014 5:55 AM

Jun 2013
bacchi said:
I don't have anything against GM foods. They could help solve the problem of malnutrition in impoverished and arid regions.

The main issue has already been mentioned, that is, the patents on food. The consequences of this dangerous practice could be disastrous. So while I'm fine with producing GM crops, the regulation on patents needs to be discussed, as does the issue of contamination of original seeds.

That is basically what i was trying to get across with the incoherent blabbering in my last post. Your conciseness inspires me. ^^

Additional point, I don't know who the blue haired girl on the side of your anime list is. But i'm having intrusive (though not necessarily bad) thoughts about settling down and starting a family with her. :|
Sep 20, 2014 6:38 AM

May 2009
It's Miki Sayaka from Madoka Magica, she's a bit hard to recognize on that one. I can't find the original or the artist, but here is the wallpaper on my list.
Sep 20, 2014 7:00 AM

Jun 2008
The patenting is definitely a real issue around GM foods.

The other is the lack of genetic diversity. Making them prone to infections on a massive scale.
Sep 20, 2014 7:15 AM

Apr 2013
Virtually every food you buy at the store is genetically modified, including the "organic" labeled foods you see. We've been genetically modifying our food for thousands of years through artificial selection and now that it's done more quickly and more efficiently in a lab, it's suddenly bad?
Sep 20, 2014 7:20 AM

Jun 2012
I would like a cat with a girl's head. But it can't talk, it just meows.
Shoot first, think never.
Sep 20, 2014 9:36 AM

May 2014
makishima shougo approves of genetically modified foods
Sep 20, 2014 9:41 AM

Nov 2008
MenthoI said:
Virtually every food you buy at the store is genetically modified, including the "organic" labeled foods you see. We've been genetically modifying our food for thousands of years through artificial selection and now that it's done more quickly and more efficiently in a lab, it's suddenly bad?

It's only a concern because there's a lack of testing to see which GM are good for human consumption and which aren't.

Sep 21, 2014 3:43 AM

Jun 2013
bacchi said:
It's Miki Sayaka from Madoka Magica, she's a bit hard to recognize on that one. I can't find the original or the artist, but here is the wallpaper on my list.

Oh it is too! i probably should have picked up on that.. Thank you :)

More topics from this board

» What's the point of life?

purple_rayn - 23 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
44 seconds ago

» Do you ever miss old/former online friends?

pludel2 - Apr 10

41 by Starchaser »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » representation or relatability ?

ame - Apr 14

39 by PeripheralVision »»
7 minutes ago

» What age range do you find the most physically attractive?

Ejrodiew - Apr 11

29 by LoveYourEyes »»
10 minutes ago

» What does your username mean?

DesuMaiden - 3 hours ago

14 by AllGudNamesRGon »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.