Forums
New
Sep 18, 2014 11:25 AM

Jan 2014
fluffy_mausNov 16, 2014 3:36 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 18, 2014 11:29 AM

May 2013
I like how they have incredibly tragic flashbacks the whole episode every episode a character will die in Akame ga Kill. It makes the show a whole lot deeper as a whole.
Whole.
Sep 18, 2014 11:30 AM
Feb 2014
kokkoderrisch said:
I like how they have incredibly tragic flashbacks the whole episode every episode a character will die in Akame ga Kill. It makes the show a whole lot deeper as a whole.
Whole.

Kappa

OT: Foreshadowing really depends on the show for me at least. If it's more plot-driven, perhaps it makes it interesting enough. I don't mind the speculation every now and then.
Sep 18, 2014 11:33 AM

Mar 2012
I hate discussing FS anime because 90% of people mistake anything for "omg foreshadowing"

Not only that, but they think foreshadowing > logic in terms of explaining a deus ex machina.
End Zionazism
Sep 18, 2014 11:36 AM

Feb 2013
foreshadowing is good, so plot twists don't come out of nowhere, rewatch bonus and discussion fuel especially for ongoing originals; also could be red herring
foreshadowing is bad when obvious death flags and stuff like that

lack of foreshadowing is good when the twist comes of nowhere it might be more surprising/memorable
lack of foreshadowing is bad when convenient backstory out of nowhere, characters that should have been important since the beggining being spontaneously introduced

i never thought that a show has "too much foreshadowing"
Sep 18, 2014 11:38 AM

Jul 2012
Tatakau Shisho wouldn't be the same without them.

So yeah, I like the foreshadowing device pretty much... when is used correctly.
Sep 18, 2014 11:41 AM

Feb 2010
SuperRed said:
Mikasa said:
I hate discussing FS anime because 90% of people mistake anything for "omg foreshadowing"

Not only that, but they think foreshadowing > logic in terms of explaining a deus ex machina.

What does "FS" stand for?

in this context I would guess foreshadowing?
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 18, 2014 11:42 AM

Mar 2008
laldonkaments said:
Mikasa said:

I hereby foreshadow the appearance of a certain MAL user
I don't think you're doing a very good job. Retconning isn't proper foreshadowing.

Foreshadowing can bring that much needed taste of irony and inevitability.
Sep 18, 2014 11:44 AM

Nov 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
SuperRed said:

What does "FS" stand for?

in this context I would guess foreshadowing?

Oh right...
Sep 18, 2014 11:48 AM

Jun 2014
laldonkaments said:
What do you think of 'foreshadowing'? Does it make a story better or deeper? Is it an overused literary device? Does it take tension away since one can already guess what will happen? Which animu use an excessive amount of foreshadowing? etc.

Every literary element makes the show more interesting.

Sep 18, 2014 11:49 AM

Mar 2012
romagia said:
foreshadowing is good, so plot twists don't come out of nowhere, rewatch bonus and discussion fuel especially for ongoing originals; also could be red herring
foreshadowing is bad when obvious death flags and stuff like that

lack of foreshadowing is good when the twist comes of nowhere it might be more surprising/memorable
lack of foreshadowing is bad when convenient backstory out of nowhere, characters that should have been important since the beggining being spontaneously introduced

i never thought that a show has "too much foreshadowing"

Twists are supposes to be out of nowhere/surprising.
Bad/good writing depends on wheter the twist makes sense or not.

Foreshadowing has no actual effect whatsoever. At its best it's like a cyclist doing a backflip, it's not necessary, but can be very impressive.

@superred I was hoping that was sarcasm...
End Zionazism
Sep 18, 2014 11:55 AM

Mar 2008
Foreshadowing doesn't necessarily have to herald 'twists'. In fact, it makes more sense for foreshadowing to be used for more straightforward events.

I suppose we might be heading into the territory of definitions now. Good joy.
Sep 18, 2014 11:57 AM

May 2013
Mikasa said:

Implying I was being serious.
Sep 18, 2014 12:05 PM

Apr 2013
I generally like it. When re-reading pandora hearts, the amount of foreshadowing that I missed never fails to impress me.
Sep 18, 2014 12:08 PM

Feb 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
Whole.

That's not foreshadowing, that's just you catching on to Death Flags
Sep 18, 2014 12:10 PM

Mar 2012
kokkoderrisch said:
Mikasa said:

Implying I was being serious.

Wasn't talking about you...
End Zionazism
Sep 18, 2014 12:12 PM

Apr 2011
Like just about anything else, foreshadowing is good when it's done right...... yeah, I kinda felt like being captain obvious.
Sep 18, 2014 12:14 PM

Jun 2013
Now, I am not sure if this is called a foreshadowing, but first episode of Steins Gate, where Okabe got that phonecall which was not understandable after meeting with Kurise. That thing alone, which lasted for a mere 5 seconds rounded up this series extremely well. So, I do love foreshadowing, though I do not want it to reveal to much of a story. I just want it to be a hook, and like in SG to stay in back of my head for the time being, till it's time to shine comes.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Sep 18, 2014 12:15 PM

Mar 2012
Shinsekai Yori and HxH do really good foreshadowing.

Death Note had one certain good foreshadowing that was awesome.

SnK is really good by avoidig FS altogether and making things surprising as hell, while somehwat believable.
End Zionazism
Sep 18, 2014 12:17 PM

May 2013
gedata said:
kokkoderrisch said:
Whole.

That's not foreshadowing, that's just you catching on to Death Flags

I know.
Sep 18, 2014 12:18 PM

Jul 2011
Mikasa said:
SnK is really good by avoidig FS altogether and making things surprising as hell, while somehwat believable.

But we know about those 2 being that for all the foreshadowing before the reveal.
I don't think that avoiding it's the right word.
Sep 18, 2014 12:47 PM
Sep 2013
I love good foreshadowing because of two reasons:

1) It shows that the writer actually planned his/her shit out, thus being more likely keep me interested in the story because it's most likely actually good.

2) It's fun to predict what will happen based on the hint. Especially when the characters are unpredictable or do a lot of introspection, because you keep the hint from the foreshadowing in your head and then see how the character's reasoning can lead to what was foreshadowed.
Sep 18, 2014 12:51 PM

Mar 2012
LoneWolfRain said:

1) It shows that the writer actually planned his/her shit out, thus being more likely keep me interested in the story because it's most likely actually good.

2) It's fun to predict what will happen based on the hint. Especially when the characters are unpredictable or do a lot of introspection, because you keep the hint from the foreshadowing in your head and then see how the character's reasoning can lead to what was foreshadowed.

On the other hand, if two writers write the same quality, I think the one who didn't plan and wrote off the top of his head to be much smarter than one who had a lot of time.
End Zionazism
Sep 18, 2014 12:59 PM
Sep 2013
Mikasa said:
LoneWolfRain said:

On the other hand, if two writers write the same quality, I think the one who didn't plan and wrote off the top of his head to be much smarter than one who had a lot of time.
I don't necessarily think it would make him "smarter", just more gifted in writing stories. Could be a sign of being more intelligent, though.
Sep 18, 2014 1:18 PM

Apr 2014
laldonkaments said:
LoneWolfRain said:
I don't necessarily think it would make him "smarter", just more gifted in writing stories. Could be a sign of being more intelligent, though.

I'm kind of tired of FS since it makes (below) average stories look more intelligent than they really are ("Wow, sugoooi, the author had it all planned out from the start! Much diligency! Such depth!")

I never had that kind of reaction since for me foreshadowing is not that special of a device since it's just a foreshadowing...
Sep 18, 2014 1:22 PM
Sep 2013
laldonkaments said:
LoneWolfRain said:

I'm kind of tired of FS since it makes (below) average stories look more intelligent than they really are ("Wow, sugoooi, the author had it all planned out from the start! Much diligency! Such depth!")
Wouldn't that be where we draw the line between "foreshadowing" and "good foreshadowing"? If the story is below average but something was foreshadowed, yeah, we might not appreciate it. But if the story was above average and the foreshadowing made it more exciting or did give it depth, we will be more likely to get something out of it.
Sep 18, 2014 5:45 PM

Jan 2010
It's great when it's subtle and easily missed without paying close attention. It's best when it doesn't completely imply the events to come, but perhaps bits and pieces. Otherwise the plot might as well be poking you with a stick saying "hey hey guess what, something is gonna happen!"
Sep 18, 2014 6:53 PM

Jul 2014
laldonkaments said:
What do you think of 'foreshadowing'? Does it make a story better or deeper? Is it an overused literary device? Does it take tension away since one can already guess what will happen? Which animu use an excessive amount of foreshadowing? etc.

Depends, if the story has twists then a subtle foreshadowing to allow intelligent watchers to actually see it coming is vital, or it's just going to be a cheap "jump twist" which any half-brained monkey can write. (See: Kamisama no Memochou)
Sep 18, 2014 6:56 PM

Jan 2014
laldonkaments said:
Princess Tutu uses a lot of foreshadowing.

Which is ok as long as it's not too blatant: "Little did Timmy know that his spleen was soon to be ripped from his body by a one-eyed man named Wilfred at a subway station at noon...."
Sep 18, 2014 6:59 PM

Jul 2012
I like the usage of it. Definitely makes the story more believable I guess. I like it when the puzzle pieces come together.

Excessive? Can't think of any really.

Ones that do it well? Shinsekai Yori. Hal.
Sep 18, 2014 7:16 PM

Jan 2011
If you don't already know how the story plays out you probably won't realise when foreshadowing is going on anyway.
Sep 18, 2014 7:18 PM

Jul 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
If you don't already know how the story plays out you probably won't realise when foreshadowing is going on anyway.

Sometimes, they're small things that sound a bit unusual yet leave an impression on me, so I still remember it later when the events actually happen.

Like for example:
Episode 2: And that was the last time I saw her smile
Episode 5: She dies
Sep 18, 2014 7:22 PM

Oct 2013
Snk does a good job in "foreshadowing" imo. I generally like series that has a lot of foreshadowing in it.
Sep 18, 2014 7:30 PM

Jan 2011
mayukachan said:
ReaperCreeper said:

Sometimes, they're small things that sound a bit unusual yet leave an impression on me, so I still remember it later when the events actually happen.

Like for example:
Episode 2: And that was the last time I saw her smile
Episode 5: She dies

Though sometimes you might think you caught something only for it to be a red herring.
Sep 18, 2014 8:00 PM

Jul 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
Though sometimes you might think you caught something only for it to be a red herring.

Which is completely okay too.
Sep 18, 2014 8:15 PM

Sep 2014
I hate plot twists or change in character that comes out of nowhere, so I guess I'd consider foreshadowing important. That being said, I don't like it to be too obvious.
Sep 18, 2014 8:15 PM

Mar 2014
the smaller and inconspicuous it is

the better it feels when all the pieces come together.

it almost feels like Scooby dooXInception sometimes.
Sep 18, 2014 8:16 PM

Jan 2008
Ever watch a completed airing show with them foreshadowing a main characters death? Then you look at the episode count/genre&demography and like laugh cause you know they won't die?
Sep 19, 2014 12:36 AM

Dec 2012
keragamming said:
Snk does a good job in "foreshadowing" imo. I generally like series that has a lot of foreshadowing in it.

It doesn't imo. But I think it falls into this:
romagia said:

Sep 19, 2014 12:39 AM

Mar 2012
laldonkaments said:
LoneWolfRain said:

Usually it's not even FS.

My favorite foreshadowing was of Nen from HxH, way to introduce such a complex ab fascinating system...
End Zionazism
Sep 19, 2014 12:57 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
keragamming said:

It doesn't imo. But I think it falls into this:
romagia said:

I think you miss out on a lot of foreshadowing, If you want to get more hints of foreshadowing you'll have to read over the manga to see things you didn't at first, but since you're not a big fan like me that is willing to read over the entire manga more than once, then you wont see certain foreshadowing. Everything that happens had some foreshadowing in the manga.

But if you like you can tell me what you thought that happen in the series that didn't get any foreshadowing before it was reveal. Remember to put spoiler.
Sep 19, 2014 1:24 AM

Dec 2012
With the romangia quote, I was referring to

Post the foreshadowing of the manga if you think otherwise.
Sep 19, 2014 1:36 AM

Feb 2013
tsudecimo said:

funny because that's how i first thought of my name; by switching the n in romania with a g
Sep 19, 2014 3:09 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:

keragammingSep 19, 2014 3:34 AM
Sep 19, 2014 3:36 AM

Dec 2012

Sep 19, 2014 4:36 AM

Jan 2014
Mikasa said:
complex ab fascinating system...

Mikasa's abs do tend to fascinate a lot of fans.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 19, 2014 5:06 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:

AOT spoilers:
Sep 19, 2014 6:05 AM

Dec 2012
SetsukoHara said:

AOT spoilers:

How would you do it differently?
Sep 19, 2014 8:33 AM

Jul 2011
tsudecimo said:

Sep 19, 2014 8:38 AM

Dec 2012
> Never asks for the foreshadowing of the three titans because of how obvious it was
> Keeps getting it anyway.

Sigh. You should have read the second reply to Kera, instead of posting that image.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Ruined after Serial Experiments Lain [Spoilers]

zaitec - May 6, 2017

16 by bacassu »»
47 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

42 by Maou_heika »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 8 hours ago

35 by Nemo_Niemand »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

31 by Maou_heika »»
7 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 1 hour ago

11 by weebtoge »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.