Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Sept 8 - 14

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 18, 2014 6:10 AM

Apr 2012
rederoin said:
/quote]We are purely talking about sales here, even orginal anime can be profitable without sales(i.e Tamayura or Nobunaga the fool).

why an anime has low sales does not matter, the fact is that it does have low sales. So you can't say the anime had decent or good sales. Whether an anime was profitable or whether it sold a lot of discs or not are 2 different subjects.

I know what you're talking about, but 'well', 'good' et cetera, are words only given meaning when given context. And a lot of things in life can be viewed as terrible given the right (or wrong for that matter) context.

So its sales, in the conext of sales of discs in general is bad, yes.

I feel like the topic has strayed from what I was talking about.
'A man, that maketh haste to be rich, and envieth others, is ignorant that poverty shall come upon him'. - Proverbs 28:22
Sep 18, 2014 8:34 AM

Aug 2014
chicagopiano said:
rederoin said:
Yes, that also applies to Japan. Sasami-san did sell like shit, no matter how you look at it. How popular it was before airing is irrelevant, a lot of orginal anime sell like hotcakes.

I don't get it, the guy was complaining that it was selling well. Why would they buy it if they didn't like it?

You can't compare original anime to adaptations. This is because one purpose of adaptations is to promote the original product. Original anime have no origin besides their own and thus, obviously, sell more.

As such, I can conclude that it didn't sell like shit for it's purpose for it's purpose was more than to sell as many copies.
And how popular it is before it airs is very relevant. I mean, just look at 'Infinite Stratos', it's fun to watch sure but it doesn't do anything particularly unique to sell a lot. No, it sells off it's fame; people know about it and such more people watch it on the television and then, as a result, there would be more sales of discs.
If a anime is relatively unknow, more people may not notice it and as such less people are watching it on the television and therefor less sales.

I didn't say people bought it even though they hated the anime. I said MCA sold what it did because of other factors that had nothing to do with Shinbou direction or Shaft animation.

For one, the KP franchise is already popular (best selling LN last year?) so some people will buy it just they enjoy seeing the series animated. Second, all of the volumes come with a CD of the episodes songs which would compel people to buy it for the songs and not the animation itself. Lastly, all of the volumes are much cheaper than your average anime volume which is another good reason for them to sell. These are much more likely reasons that Mekakucity Actors is selling than the studio that animated it. If anything, it's because of Aniplex's decisions on how to sell it.
JayBlueSep 18, 2014 5:16 PM
Sep 18, 2014 12:20 PM

Oct 2007
SolviteSekai said:
rederoin said:

We are purely talking about sales here, even orginal anime can be profitable without sales(i.e Tamayura or Nobunaga the fool).

why an anime has low sales does not matter, the fact is that it does have low sales. So you can't say the anime had decent or good sales. Whether an anime was profitable or whether it sold a lot of discs or not are 2 different subjects.

You cant deny the fanboyism that comes with shinbous form of direction.

Nisekoi and MCA were both really mediocre shows that sold imho simply because shinbou did them.

Actually MCA and Nisekoi sold because the licenses are already popular and because Aniplex did a lot of finagling with the packaging and pricing of the disks in order to make it appealing to buyers. Moreso with MCA than with Nisekoi but they basically made MCA a music disc with episode insert for what amounts to little more than double the price of a normal insert. I think each one comes with some peace of artwork too. The fanbase for MCA though is absolutely gigantic though, like Love Live level huge which it was supposed to easily rival or surpass in disc sales yet at this point it'll be lucky to add up to the total of what the first volume of that show sold by the end despite pulling every possible trick in the book to make it sell as much as possible. This to me says fans didn't really like the show all that much and aren't really buying it in spite of the franchise creator Jin who worked on the anime practically begging fans on twitter to support it and him.

Shaft just did a brutal careless job on the anime overall and frankly showed what their real level of commitment is as a production studio. They just really don't care and saw the easy money and put in a bare minimum effort and by the looks of it weren't really rewarded nearly as much as they thought they were going to be for it at the end of the day.

chicagopiano said:
rederoin said:
Shaft has a lot of series with bad/below average sales,

I know that, it doesn't take a genuis to figure out that they make stuff that isn't particularly normal to sell well. They don't generally make stuff with broad appeal, which is what is needed to sell a lot because broad appeal is what it is: broad. The less risks you take the more you strike with the general population for you do not tread into territory that some may not like.

Actually the irony is that Shinbo is on record as basically stating that he directs anime series at Shaft with the sole intent of creating something that will sell well and make lots of money and that if something is unsellable it means it is completely without worth.

Akiyuki said:

An unsellable animation, even if it is worth to watch, is meaningless. So the most important thing when you make anime, is satisfying consumers.

He doesn't actually care about much beyond that which makes it hilarious that fans look at him as some sort of for the art type. Shaft must have the greatest variance of any studio ever when it comes to marketability of their shows. There really is no middle ground, either it's a mega smash hit or it's pretty much a disaster of a bomb. In any case their profile seems way down overall these days compared to the peaks of the Bakemonogatari and Madoka years as I can only hope more people look at Shaft the way I do. They just have never struck me as that artistic or committed to quality in any regard, Shinbo just has his weird ideas and people either see utter genius in them or gimmicky distractions that serve no real narrative or artistic purpose. I feel like people want someone to believe in the way they seem to believe in Shinbo as this artistic genius that cares so much about that side of animation but IMO he's not their guy and has proven it oh so many times if you're willing to see it.
PeacingOutSep 18, 2014 12:38 PM
Sep 19, 2014 9:35 AM
Dec 2010
For how big Kagepro is, Mekakucity Actors is a flop that should have sold FAR more than it did. It had 300k viewers for its Nico Nico stream. You can be sure a lot of people in Aniplex aren't happy with how Shaft and Shinbou handed the series and will think twice about letting them do 2 anime series at the same time again.
Sep 19, 2014 10:37 AM

Oct 2007
scytheavatar said:
For how big Kagepro is, Mekakucity Actors is a flop that should have sold FAR more than it did. It had 300k viewers for its Nico Nico stream. You can be sure a lot of people in Aniplex aren't happy with how Shaft and Shinbou handed the series and will think twice about letting them do 2 anime series at the same time again.

Quite a few things get that amount of views, it's more the level of fanaticism being on par with idol anime (the buy multiple copies group of fans) and Aniplex deliberately adjusting the price points, extras and even adding an event ticket to the early volumes to make the packages as enticing and affordable as possible and it still struggling to consistently sell over 10K that's the damning part. Really though what did they expect, I've been arguing for a while Shaft and Shinbo aren't nearly the perfect geniuses a lot of fans like to make them out to be and MCA is a great example. Hopefully it'll lead to people questioning the studio and it's leader a little more in the future and subjecting them to a little more proper scrutiny and evaluation.
Sep 19, 2014 7:16 PM

Oct 2013
It's Shaft, baby.
Sep 20, 2014 9:48 AM
May 2013
rederoin said:

We are purely talking about sales here, even orginal anime can be profitable without sales(i.e Tamayura or Nobunaga the fool).

Whoa nobunaga the fool was profitable? How? Were there some kind of mecha merchandise?
Sep 20, 2014 10:34 AM

Nov 2011
Hahalollawl said:
rederoin said:

Whoa nobunaga the fool was profitable? How? Were there some kind of mecha merchandise?

I can't be sure ofcourse, but its possible. It was an advertisement for the stage play afterall.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 20, 2014 1:12 PM
May 2013
rederoin said:
Hahalollawl said:

I can't be sure ofcourse, but its possible. It was an advertisement for the stage play afterall.

I'm not sure I get it. So there is a play and they used the anime to advertise for it? Was the play successful?

Wouldn't you think (or maybe I'm wrong) that if you were going to use an anime as an advertisement for something else (like a manga) you would just make a one cour show, but Nobunaga the Fool was two cour if I remember correctly. Doesn't that seem like an expensive investment for an advertisement?
Sep 20, 2014 3:28 PM

Nov 2011
Hahalollawl said:
rederoin said:

I'm not sure I get it. So there is a play and they used the anime to advertise for it? Was the play successful?

Wouldn't you think (or maybe I'm wrong) that if you were going to use an anime as an advertisement for something else (like a manga) you would just make a one cour show, but Nobunaga the Fool was two cour if I remember correctly. Doesn't that seem like an expensive investment for an advertisement?

They probably needed to cover the entire story of the play or something. But I want to make clear that it could have been profitable, we just don't know for sure. It was just a good example of a late night tv original anime that had other sources of an income besides merch(its a mecha afterall) and disc sales.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuru Camp△' Season 3 Announces Additional Cast

Nioxys - 53 minutes ago

0 by Nioxys »»
53 minutes ago

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Second Cour Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

3 by Playcool »»
4 hours ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

18 by Adnash »»
6 hours ago

» 'Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest' Unveils Main Staff, Summer 2024 Premiere

Vindstot - Mar 11

25 by Juventinoaymen »»
6 hours ago

» 'Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf' Reveals Additional Cast, Staff, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - Mar 21

19 by HloFrndz »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.