Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 16, 2014 10:12 PM

Apr 2012
Whoever is saying he is not a hedonist is outright lying. Everything we do in life is in order to achieve pleasure. Some just achieve pleasure in different ways. But either way why do you work? To be able to finance your pleasures and desires. Or others take pleasure from their work itself, achieving something. Either way, when you check your motives, you will see the reason you do something is always pleasure.

Ok unless you are at the bottom of the barrel and you are fighting for your existence. But Id say from middleclass upwards, the motive of why you do something is always pleasure.
Sep 16, 2014 10:34 PM

Jun 2014
I just live by the idea that one should be free to do anything he or she wishes as long as it doesn't impede on another person's ability to ... do anything he or she wishes.

It's a pretty broad term that eliminates many ideas such as (cheating, stealing, killing, etc). Of course it's not meant to be enforced to the core, but it's just a generality.

Sep 17, 2014 5:51 PM

Jun 2008
Somehow this poll seems to indicate not many people know what a hedonist actually is.

"Hedonism is a school of thought that argues that pleasure is the primary or most important intrinsic good.[1] In very simple terms, a hedonist strives to maximize net pleasure (pleasure minus pain)." - wikipedia

I did not expect people here, who's all about "if it doesn't hurt them, do whatever makes them happy" to have said no to this ideology.
Sep 17, 2014 7:40 PM

Dec 2012
I'm anything but a stoic, let's put it that way. But I'm not at all an extreme hedonist, those people just scare me. Not even an existentialist either, those people also scare me.

I don't know what school I'm a part of... I see those as a bit extreme as said above.
Sep 17, 2014 10:46 PM

Oct 2012
baki502 said:
Whoever is saying he is not a hedonist is outright lying. Everything we do in life is in order to achieve pleasure.
There's a difference between what we do, and we should do. But you do bring up a good point (which you probably did not want to): Defining "pleasure" is such a hard thing to do because there is a lot of different states that could be considered pleasurable. For example, someone could find it emotionally pleasurable to suffer extreme torture for his ideals. Clearly, this is not the kind of pleasure that Hedonism normally refers to. What you're suggesting falls further in line with psychological egoism--the idea that we are psychologically motivated for our self-interests, despite anything we think.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 17, 2014 11:21 PM

Oct 2012
no i am not
RRRRRRRRRR
Apr 14, 2021 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
My lifestyle is pretty self-serving, so I like calling myself a hedonist, but ethically, I'm technically a Utilitarian.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

46 by Malkshake »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 55 minutes ago

4 by Crystepsi »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 10 hours ago

15 by pludel2 »»
16 minutes ago

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

73 by pludel2 »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

22 by Rhaelynne »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.