Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 15, 2014 3:04 PM

Oct 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Manumento said:
Yeah Zankyou is a good terrorism show with no terrorism in it.

Yeah right. It's not surprising that a lot of people praise this "holy grail" of the year then. It is stupid, it is extremely pretentious. All characters are plot devices. Writing is abysmal, and the plot is stupid. Logical flaws everywhere. As a thriller it is severely lacking, and since it is solely based on that there's nothing else to enjoy in this show. Soundtrack is the only good thing.

Scene composition alone makes it something worth watching, especially paired with the OST.
It certainly shows Watanabe's skills as a director, the show is very well directed, probably one of the better directed shows I've seen in a while, but I think the writing since episode 5 has dragged the show down. Good directing and OST can only carry a show so far, its kind of disappointing, if the writing was good I think the show could easily break the top 50, possibly top 30.
Sep 15, 2014 3:09 PM

Aug 2014
orchidork said:
Manumento said:
Any person with an average intelligence or above can easily say that Zankyou is bullshit and extremely pretentious

*insults other people's intelligence because their tastes don't match his* you don't have any creditability if you can't back up your statements. "terror in resonance iz stoopid cuz i say soo"

Tastes? Ha. Would you like me to start?

The plot is basically a whole bunch of overblown mess. It's just bombing for the sake of bombing. Absolutely no depth as into why they would choose this way to express their problems.

Writing is abysmal. Girl not only survives a 4th floor jump, but comes away unharmed? 2 teenagers ram a fucking truck inside of a mass security nuclear facility where they make atomic bomb prototypes and they steal it and get away with it? And you expect me to think this is an intelligent anime that tries to show us a serious story? (this is all 1st episode btw, I guess the airport chess was very gud also)

Characters are one dimensional and plot devices. They ditch the only slightly reasonable character in Shibazaki ( to the side plot) to focus its plot on this generic one dimensional villain with no inspiration whatsoever. No character development exists, apart from Lisa's whining and poorly executed 12's change of heart. (because the plot demands it!)

Also, it's genre is thriller, but all of it comes from information waiting to be revealed that the characters already know. That's not thrilling, that's just fucking frustrating to watch. The storytelling feels so artificial that it's impossible to get attached to it, as everything comes down to plot conveniences. It only catches a glimpse of thrillness now that
but the anime is almost over and I see no reason why I should believe that it's going to end well when I've been exposed to so much bullshit already.

It's like psycho-pass, you just dig in deeper and everything falls apart. Except that P-P had a unique setting and a few interesting concepts to work with, so even that is better than Zankyou.

Of course I wouldn't expect everyone to notice that this anime is extremely pretentious (trying to be a logical thriller and fails at every aspect of it) but yeah you can atleast try before fanriding on the bandwagon.

Yeah, the soundtrack's the best of the year though. But you might as well just download or buy the OST and don't watch this abomination at all.

Anything else? Oh yeah, this show has no terrorism at all btw. If you have any questions please ask, I can gladly spend my time trying to help.
Sep 15, 2014 3:18 PM

Jul 2012
Manumento said:
orchidork said:

*insults other people's intelligence because their tastes don't match his* you don't have any creditability if you can't back up your statements. "terror in resonance iz stoopid cuz i say soo"

Tastes? Ha. Would you like me to start?

The plot is basically a whole bunch of overblown mess. It's just bombing for the sake of bombing. Absolutely no depth as into why they would choose this way to express their problems.

Writing is abysmal. Girl not only survives a 4th floor jump, but comes away unharmed? 2 teenagers ram a fucking truck inside of a mass security nuclear facility where they make atomic bomb prototypes and they steal it and get away with it? And you expect me to think this is an intelligent anime that tries to show us a serious story? (this is all 1st episode btw, I guess the airport chess was very gud also)

Characters are one dimensional and plot devices. They ditch the only slightly reasonable character in Shibazaki ( to the side plot) to focus its plot on this generic one dimensional villain with no inspiration whatsoever. No character development exists, apart from Lisa's whining and poorly executed 12's change of heart. (because the plot demands it!)

Also, it's genre is thriller, but all of it comes from information waiting to be revealed that the characters already know. That's not thrilling, that's just fucking frustrating to watch. The storytelling feels so artificial that it's impossible to get attached to it, as everything comes down to plot conveniences. It only catches a glimpse of thrillness now that
but the anime is almost over and I see no reason why I should believe that it's going to end well when I've been exposed to so much bullshit already.

It's like psycho-pass, you just dig in deeper and everything falls apart. Except that P-P had a unique setting and a few interesting concepts to work with, so even that is better than Zankyou.

Of course I wouldn't expect everyone to notice that this anime is extremely pretentious (trying to be a logical thriller and fails at every aspect of it) but yeah you can atleast try before fanriding on the bandwagon.

Yeah, the soundtrack's the best of the year though. But you might as well just download or buy the OST and don't watch this abomination at all.

Anything else? Oh yeah, this show has no terrorism at all btw. If you have any questions please ask, I can gladly spend my time trying to help.

Lol, what are you saying, Psycho Pass was great :v
People were like that because of the whole freaking distopia happening (and psychological instabilit is basically the main theme, so, the more you dig, the more this fact became obvious).
Sep 15, 2014 3:21 PM

Aug 2014
Danpmss said:

People were like that because of the whole freaking distopia happening (and psychological instabilit is basically the main theme, so, the more you dig, the more this fact became obvious).

If you think P-P is great then there's nothing to discuss here.

Also what dystopia? The Athena plan? The approach to that was so bullshit it gave me cancer.

There's no psychological instability as a main theme. It feels very fake and poorly executed.

" Let's play a game of riddles with bombings and hope someone will come to solve our problems guys" - The Anime
Sep 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Jul 2012
Manumento said:
Danpmss said:

If you think P-P is great then there's nothing to discuss here.

Also what dystopia? The Athena plan? The approach to that was so bullshit it gave me cancer. Let's play a game of riddles with bombings and hope someone will come to solve our problems guys!!!!!! ~ THE ANIME

Sybil System is a Distopia per se.
Do you even know what a distopia is? lol
Sep 15, 2014 3:35 PM

Feb 2010
Feaor said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Scene composition alone makes it something worth watching, especially paired with the OST.
It certainly shows Watanabe's skills as a director, the show is very well directed, probably one of the better directed shows I've seen in a while, but I think the writing since episode 5 has dragged the show down. Good directing and OST can only carry a show so far, its kind of disappointing, if the writing was good I think the show could easily break the top 50, possibly top 30.

I don't disagree, but I think people treat it way too harshly still. I've definitely lowered my expectations and from being my clear favorite of the season during the first 1-3 episodes it has now fallen a few ranks, but it's still fairly interesting and it depends on how the ending ties everything together to judge if there was a point to say Lisa or Five for example. I don't think it's the kind of show where you can really judge the writing before the conclusion has aired and everyone has played his/her role.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 15, 2014 3:35 PM

Nov 2012
Man, people always make these threads before teh season is over.. what's so bad about waiting until the 1st or 2nd week of Fall season and then post this thread?

Welp it looks like Terror in Resonance, Barakamon, Gekkan Shoujo , and Akame ga Kill are the front-runners.

Wow I'm surprised that GS gets that many votes! I dropped it a few episodes into the season, not because it was bad, but i needed to clean out a number of shows I was watching because I was watching too many at the same time in the first stages of the summer season.

Its funny when these polls come out, its usually the case I'm not watching anywhere near all of the options listed on the poll. So all I can really do is vote on the shows I'm actually watching and say "this is the best show from the ones I'm actually keeping track of" and not "this is the best show of Sumer Season"

I put Barakamon, even though I'm 2 episodes behind..
Sep 15, 2014 3:40 PM

Jul 2012
midnightblade said:
Man, people always make these threads before teh season is over.. what's so bad about waiting until the 1st or 2nd week of Fall season and then post this thread?

Read the first post xD
Sep 15, 2014 3:47 PM

Jun 2014
sullynathan said:
Please use the English names instead of the Japanese names. The Only decent show this summer was terror in resonance.

Or put both. I like knowing my names in Japanese.

Sep 15, 2014 3:56 PM

Dec 2008
Where my Precure homies at?
Sep 16, 2014 5:31 AM

Jul 2012
Xari said:
sullynathan said:
Please use the English names instead of the Japanese names. The Only decent show this summer was terror in resonance.

Or put both. I like knowing my names in Japanese.

I let the entries as they were written here on MAL.
The anime you guys are watching is already on your list, I suppose, so there's no reason for me to write down their respective names in english here :/
Sep 16, 2014 10:17 AM

Jul 2012
"The only decent show"
wow you guys sure are open minded and objective wow
Sep 16, 2014 2:26 PM

Jul 2012
mayukachan said:
"The only decent show"
wow you guys sure are open minded and objective wow

This season wasn't even that weak (we had 6 or 7 awesome titles).
Sep 16, 2014 2:32 PM

Jul 2012
orchidork said:
the romance is mediocre though so i don't see what's likeable about that. only yukinari and yanagi's "romance" is somewhat entertaining. to each his/ her own i guess

lol i agree. it's sad that even the main couple (touko and david) are bland as hell. should've just focused on yukinari and yanagi and it would have been decent. i'm just saying, casual anime watchers think that anything with teenage romance is good.

Danpmss said:

exactly. i have 9 summer shows at a 7+ right now. pretty great season, ever since fall 2012.
Sep 16, 2014 2:48 PM

Nov 2013
Hanamonogatari. Rest are varying degrees of bleh to decent.
Sep 16, 2014 3:10 PM

Jul 2012
Fatma94 said:
Haikyuu ( Spring + Summer )
Free! Eternal Summer/ Love Stage!! / Barakamon ( Summer )

Good taste right there.
Sep 16, 2014 3:28 PM
Dec 2013
From the poll, i choose you

Ao Haru Ride. <3
Sep 16, 2014 6:12 PM

Aug 2013
mayukachan said:
orchidork said:
the romance is mediocre though so i don't see what's likeable about that. only yukinari and yanagi's "romance" is somewhat entertaining. to each his/ her own i guess

lol i agree. it's sad that even the main couple (touko and david) are bland as hell. should've just focused on yukinari and yanagi and it would have been decent. i'm just saying, casual anime watchers think that anything with teenage romance is good.

Danpmss said:

exactly. i have 9 summer shows at a 7+ right now. pretty great season, ever since fall 2012.

To be honest, Yuki and Yana's romance is boring to me. None of the couples interest me. It's sad because I love romance anime :(

I really like this season! I think summer was the strongest season this year (so far). The weakest was winter.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Sep 16, 2014 6:15 PM

Jul 2012
waterfallsxo said:
To be honest, Yuki and Yana's romance is boring to me. None of the couples interest me. It's sad because I love romance anime :(

They're just not elaborated well enough, but yes, none of the couples really are good.
Sep 16, 2014 7:06 PM

Jul 2012
mayukachan said:
waterfallsxo said:

They're just not elaborated well enough, but yes, none of the couples really are good.

C'mon guys, SakuraxNozaki and PolnareffxAlvdol are OTP
Sep 16, 2014 10:17 PM

Mar 2013
Im happy to see Zankyou no terror has the most votes, I think it's animation, ost, characters, and plot all contribute to it's big success!
Sep 16, 2014 11:42 PM

May 2012
In my opinion these are the only anime that worth watching in summer. Most of the others are crap and deserve 5/10 or lower than that

Akame ga Kill!
Aldnoah.Zero
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!
Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus
Love Stage!!
Momo Kyun Sword
RAIL WARS!
Seirei Tsukai no Kenbu: Blade Dance
Sword Art Online II
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ghoul
Zankyou no Terror (it is overrated but still worth watching)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Himegoto
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Sailor Moon Crystal (this is not on list for some reason)
Hunter x Hunter 2011 (not on the list)
thepathSep 16, 2014 11:45 PM
Sep 17, 2014 12:16 AM

Mar 2012
Of what I'm watching...

1. Zankyou no Terror - Dark, gritty, mysterious and compelling. It's Watanabe being Watanabe and making some high quality stuff.

2. Ao Haru Ride - I REALLY love this series and especially more after it's EXTREMELY awesome episode 11 just recently. It's probably the only anime episode to make me tear up so far this year.

3. Aldnoah.Zero - I find this series really fascinating...even though I'll admit it's MC is rather weak (well, strong...but weak in development).

4. Tokyo Ghoul - Surprise of the season...I didn't expect this anime to be "this" good. Nice to finally have an MC that ISN'T overpowering despite having specific circumstances surrounding him. I'm guessing he might eventually though (we'll see).

5. Sword Art Online 2 - I thought it would be crap, but so far it's actually been pretty decent.

Other than that, I haven't really seen anything worth writing home about.
Sep 17, 2014 12:32 AM

Dec 2013
Barakamon. Easi(l)ly.

ZnT was fine until ep5. Then the plot took a nosedive in my eyes.
Sep 17, 2014 2:44 AM

Jan 2014
SAO2 for me.

Just started Barakamon, seems pretty good.

ZnT in first place? pffffff....
Sep 17, 2014 7:18 AM

Jul 2012
thepath said:
In my opinion these are the only anime that worth watching in summer. Most of the others are crap and deserve 5/10 or lower than that

Akame ga Kill!
Aldnoah.Zero
Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus
Love Stage!!
Sword Art Online II
Tokyo Ghoul
Zankyou no Terror (it is overrated but still worth watching)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Himegoto
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Sailor Moon Crystal (this is not on list for some reason)
Hunter x Hunter 2011 (not on the list)

Fixed.

Also:
Sailor Moon Crystal is an ONA/OVA series and if Hunter x Hunter was to be in this list, so should it be Naruto, One Piece and other long-running series, read the OP.
Sep 17, 2014 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
Gekkan shoujo nozaki kun
Although it's not a masterpiece, it entertains me very well

Instead, Akame Ga kill and Aldnoah zero disappointed me a bit.
removed-userSep 17, 2014 8:08 AM
Sep 17, 2014 8:05 AM

May 2013
Akame ga Kill's writing is on par with fanfiction.
Sep 17, 2014 8:10 AM

Jun 2014
Voted for Mahouka.

Haven't watched even half of them but from the ones I've watched Mahouka has been giving me far more enjoyment.

AgK expected to be better, the manga is a 8-9/10 the anime is a 6-7/10.

Tokyo Ghoul, although I really enjoyed the anime, it was mostly for the story since it was unique and the scenes were pretty well made, however anyone even those who haven't read the manga, can notice that they skipped a shitload of chapters and were clearly rushing things, give it a 7-8/10.

Mahouka although many people disagree, I completely enjoyed the magic system, I enjoyed the op MC and enjoy the show altogether, it has its flaws, it was boring at times but most of the time it was really interesting, especially after episode 24 where OP gets a power boost. Give it a 8/10
Sep 17, 2014 9:04 AM

Oct 2011
It's an incredibly tough call for me, but I chose Aldnoah.Zero over Zankyou no Terror.

Aldnoah gets my vote because, prior to watching it, I hated mech series, with the exception of Eva (mech ish) and Gurren Lagann (which is way too over the top to be a normal mech series), but now, I'm gonna be seriously considering checking out other mech series, all because of Aldnoah, so it gets my vote.
Time waits for no one...

DrunkenBlowfish said:
Ho-oh, I'd imagine its like a Skittles flavored turkey.

Sep 17, 2014 9:12 AM

May 2013
I voted for Stardust Crusaders because it is fucking Jojo.
Sep 17, 2014 7:09 PM

Jul 2012
kokkoderrisch said:
Akame ga Kill's writing is on par with fanfiction.

It gets progressively better (Really Better), so I'm not going to complain about this one just yet.
Sep 17, 2014 7:13 PM

Jul 2012
kokkoderrisch said:
Mahouka's writing is on par with fanfiction.

FTFY
Sep 17, 2014 7:16 PM

Jun 2012
VanishingKira said:
Glasslip's writing is below par with fanfiction.

It's not even on par with Twilight...
Sep 17, 2014 7:31 PM

Sep 2013
Akame ga Kill!. Not even a fair contest.
Sep 17, 2014 7:42 PM

Jul 2012
mayukachan said:
kokkoderrisch said:
Mahouka's writing is on par with fanfiction.

FTFY

You mean the anime script (with Godsuya onii-sama written all over it)?
Because in the novels, is kinda explicit how much he is not a wish fullfilment character xD
Sep 17, 2014 8:01 PM

Jul 2012
The anime certainly makes it very fanfiction-like and wish fulfillment, as well as making the characters self-insert.

Mladen said:
VanishingKira said:
Glasslip's writing is below par with fanfiction.

Even worse than SAO's pretentious dialogue.
Sep 17, 2014 8:17 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
The anime certainly makes it very fanfiction-like and wish fulfillment, as well as making the characters self-insert.

Mladen said:

Pretty sure I'd rather read a shitty smutfic than watch Glasslip.

And the shitty smutfic doesn't even have pictures.
Sep 17, 2014 8:23 PM

Sep 2014
These polls are cruel... ~_~ they expect me to choose only one out of a bunch of great shows...

For me it was either Akame ga Kill, Barakamon, Free, or Gekkan Shoujo NozakiKun
Even though in the end I did choose Gekkan Shoujo :D
*hi*
Sep 17, 2014 10:43 PM

Sep 2013
I really, really hope Haikyuu!! only has 15 votes because it's a left over from last season. Seriously... this has to be the only answer.
Sep 17, 2014 10:56 PM

Feb 2013
I'll go with the Obvious choice of [size=155]FUCKIN' JOJO!!!!![/size]

Other than that,I only watched 2 episodes Aldnoah (Crap),2 episodes of Tokyo Ghoul (pretty good,i'll probably continue),and a few here and there episodes of Akame (Reading the Manga),and Sailor Moon (love it)..........So i'll just go with Sailor Moon
Sep 17, 2014 11:36 PM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:

I'm probably just slamming my own head into a wall at this point, but in what way has SAO's script acted like well more than its worth?
Sep 18, 2014 6:31 AM

Nov 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
mayukachan said:

I'm probably just slamming my own head into a wall at this point, but in what way has SAO's script acted like well more than its worth?
Because SAO is a stupid show and it shouldn't be about anything more than playing counter-strike.
Sep 18, 2014 6:34 AM

Oct 2009
Barakamon.
Sep 18, 2014 6:35 AM

Jan 2013
idk, zankou no terror and barakamon are both pretty pretentious.

i guess being edgy or having generic coming of age drama makes it ok though.
Sep 18, 2014 6:41 AM

Apr 2014
Wintovisky said:
I really, really hope Haikyuu!! only has 15 votes because it's a left over from last season. Seriously... this has to be the only answer.
I didn't see Haikyuu!! on the list so I voted Akame ga Kill :'( . Haikyuu!! would've gotten my vote.
Sep 18, 2014 7:05 AM

Jan 2012
I'd give it to Barakamon pretty easily, but I'm only watching 6 or so series. The one that's actually in the lead in the poll is one I'm not watching.
Sep 18, 2014 7:07 AM
Jul 2014
Not sure if Gekkan Shoujo is the best....but it's definitely the surprise of the season.
Enjoying it more than Barakamon.
Sep 18, 2014 7:09 AM

Jul 2014
I regret picking Zankyou no Terror. The first half was great but bring in a bunch of Americans and a woman and the series goes downhill! It was rank #106 before and has dropped down to #137.

I'm going with Akame ga Kill! because this season was a let down for me.
"Hi!"
Sep 18, 2014 7:10 AM

Oct 2008
Anything other than Jojo's Bizarre Adventure SC is false and immediately not worthy of being taken seriously.

Thus has been decreed.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

19 by BatoKusanagi »»
15 seconds ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 39 minutes ago

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

31 by BatoKusanagi »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 7 hours ago

18 by MeanMrMusician »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

87 by downymaiden »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.