Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 11, 2014 9:13 PM

Aug 2014
I'm not looking for just the title.. I want you to reccommend your favorite, and give a detailed explanation to why it's your favorite... you can recommend more than one
Sep 11, 2014 9:18 PM
Jan 2009
Oban Star Racers

Four French animators spend 8 years developing a series, go to Japan not knowing Japanese, get a bunch of people who worked on Bebop and TTGL and make one of the best and most visually imaginative series of the last 20 years
Sep 11, 2014 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
- One Outs ( This was the main reason I started watching Sports Anime. If you like psychological games then you'll enjoy it )

- Kuroshitsuji ( The Characters and the story are interesting. )

- Zetsuen no Tempest ( Good Story and the Animation is Good. )

- NouCome ( One of my Fav Comedies if not the best. )

- Ergo Proxy ( The Story is good )

- Monogatari (Series) ( Good? Really Good? :D )

*I'm not really good at stating why I like Something but you may check them all and decide ^^
Sep 11, 2014 9:58 PM

Nov 2013
Wolf's Rain: I love the characters, the music, the plot, everything. It deals with my favourite themes, such as reincarnation, and every character is important to the plot somehow.

Shinsekai Yori: Outstanding world building and fascinating usage of psychology. None of the characters were cut out archetypes.

Psycho-Pass: See Shinsekai Yori. They're quite similar anime which is probably why I like them so much.
Sep 11, 2014 10:01 PM
Apr 2014
As you've put 10-s for all my favourites except one which you don't have on your list, I'd recommend "Planetes". Just of hope that it will coincide too.
Sep 11, 2014 10:44 PM

Jun 2014
Skip Beat because I love the characters and the MC is adorable.
Senyuu because it's funny and kind of random, but still has a plot.
Haikyuu because the characters are loveable and volleyball is one of the sports I decently like.
Free because muscles and swimming.
Noragami because gods and sad moments.
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun because the OST is nice.
Inu x Boku SS because I like sadists.
Durarara because it has a cool plot.
Kaichou wa maid-sama because maids and a not completely helpless MC.
Kamisama Majimemashita because I like pretty demons.
Sep 11, 2014 10:57 PM

May 2012
Hayate no Gotoku: All the characters are really loveable, except for Yukiji, I never particularly liked or disliked her. It's a full on parody(at least the first two season), and its humor is second to none. It's just a really great series overall, except for Can't Take My Eyes Off You. J.C Staff did a decent job with HnG, but Manglobe murdered their designs, and the story in Can't Take My Eyes Off You wasn't nothing to write home about. They at least sorta redeemed themselves with 'HnG: Cuties

Aria The Animation: It's just a great SoL overall. So long as you aren't a person who just likes nothing but action, you'll enjoy Aria a lot. It's relaxing, the character are extremely likeable, the world of Aria, Neo Venezia, is marvelous.

Shinsekai Yori: What Grimmoire said

Sep 11, 2014 11:10 PM

Feb 2009
Toaru Majutsu no Index - It's kind of hard to explain, its probably the setting and characters that i like, the idea of supernatural and science clashing makes it feel epic and interesting. There are typically anime tropes that get played out over and over if you watch enough anime, or read any books/manga.

And there are certain things that bug the hell out of me, b/c they are cliche. Index actually uses some of these but you can tell whoever wrote it knew exactly what they were doing b/c they handled them well. And i'm a big sucker for cheesy payoffs. So if a story has some sort of evil villain, that villain needs get punched in the face real good and the pacing for the build up needs to timed just right so it doesn't feel rushed or doesn't feel dragged out. Index does this very well. And the characters have very distinct personalities, even though some of them might be cliche, it doesn't hide that fact and b/c of this is able to surprise the viewer when they do something that is a little out of character. I also like stories that combine a lot of elements together, while some shows may end up confused b/c of this, index manages to pull it off really well.

The spin-off/side story Railgun is even more awesome.
Sep 11, 2014 11:53 PM

Aug 2014
Shounen

HxH - A series that's excellent at creating tension in fights where the threat level of the opponents feels very real & overwhelming at times. Which really does the series justice as the main characters are quite young. Pretty cool world and some stand out characters make it worth watching.

Comedy / Romance
Hayate - Lovable characters & excellent humour. You can root for any of them pretty much. Only character that gets annoying is Tama and he's minor.

Minami-ke Tadaima - I have no idea how this series is rated under an 8 when it really succeeds at being fun and light hearted. Great voice acting + simple but genuinely funny humour for most of it. No real elements of romance just light hearted fun.

Nichijou - Lovable characters and absolutely hilarious jokes with excellent voice acting. I'm still not sure why those random parts exist in the anime and I felt it detracted from it but w/e when it goes all out for an awesome joke it's memorable as hell.

School Rumble - I'm going to start repeating myself too much. See above. It has a poor ending, or did technically until we finally got what we wanted to see over a decade later.

Baka to Test - Characters are very likeable, the MC & his best friend have absolutely hilarious bro & anti-bro moments. Despite some generic humour, they actually really pull it off and make it funny again. Love so much about this show.

That's all I'll put down for now but there's a tonne of other shit I absolutely love.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Sep 12, 2014 12:04 AM

Jul 2014
Shiki and Shinsekai Yori.

Make you question sides, and think about which one was right. They're interesting plot wise too. And show how fast humans can turn into Monsters.
Sep 14, 2014 1:18 PM

Apr 2014
Gosick
--------
its a mystery action romance criminal-investigative historical anime in a fantasy land that was somewhat devastated by world war 1
--------
my username picture and forum sig are all based on that show lol
Sep 14, 2014 2:05 PM

Sep 2012
Mentioned before, but might as well mention it again:

Shinsekai Yori - it ain't perfect, but it's really damn close. Great story, amazing world, great characters, decent visuals, epic soundtrack etc.
Sep 14, 2014 3:24 PM
May 2011
Souten Kouro (Best historical anime and the storyline and dialogue are perfect)

Death Note (You can always watch it clever storyline and exciting)

Eden Of the East series and movies( very good, different anime)

D.M.C - Detroit Metal City( funniest music anime)

Beck (also a very good music anime)
Sep 14, 2014 6:15 PM

Oct 2012
uh oh here i go

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, because it pulls off being a sci-fi slice of life comedy mystery romance story and it executes all parts of itself extremely well. It's plot is one that is constructed off many layers of intense contradictions. All the main characters are very intentionally trope-ish, but their inner desires and personalities all reflect the opposite of what is standard for their respective tropes and also what they say they want. IE, Kyon being the basic run-of-the-mill hyper logical protagonist who, on the surface, says he desires an ordinary life but truly longs for something extraordinary. Or Haruhi, who longs to meet aliens and other extraordinary people, and ends up completely surrounded by what she believes desires, but is only brought happiness due to mundane yet genuine friendship instead of the interesting things she thinks she needs. She fights constantly to achieve her strange goals, all the while completely unaware shes already done everything she wants to do. Because of her god like powers she can have anything she wants, but she lives her life completely unaware, constantly seeking things she doesnt truly believe she can ever have, yet already does. Every character in that show is a living contradiction, everything any of them want or feel is a contradiction, and everything any of them are capable of doing is a contradiction. I'm actually not as great as explaining this as id like to be, but you get the picture. Also, it has absolutely fantastic animation.

BUT if im being honest, the reason why it's my number one show is that I find Haruhi deeeeeply relatable , in a way I've never really seen represented in any other character before, in any form of media. We share an extremely similar since of logic, world view and goals. I dont really relate to most people so when I find something I connect with I connect DEEP. idk. I could write a god damn novel about the subtle complexities of that show, but I'll stop here. Lot of people hate this show and are probably laughing at me, but I don't give a shit I think it's fantastic. I dont necessarily recommend it to everyone, since the reasons I like it are so specific, but whatever watch it if it sounds like something youre into.
Sep 14, 2014 6:28 PM

Aug 2014
Sakaxxx said:
Souten Kouro (Best historical anime and the storyline and dialogue are perfect)

Death Note (You can always watch it clever storyline and exciting)

Eden Of the East series and movies( very good, different anime)

D.M.C - Detroit Metal City( funniest music anime)

Beck (also a very good music anime)

Souten Kouro is the only one I haven't heard of
Sep 14, 2014 6:28 PM

Aug 2014
KazuyaKujo said:
Gosick
--------
its a mystery action romance criminal-investigative historical anime in a fantasy land that was somewhat devastated by world war 1
--------
my username picture and forum sig are all based on that show lol

I'm planning on seeing Gosick one day
Sep 14, 2014 6:29 PM

Aug 2014
-Grimmoire- said:
Wolf's Rain: I love the characters, the music, the plot, everything. It deals with my favourite themes, such as reincarnation, and every character is important to the plot somehow.

Shinsekai Yori: Outstanding world building and fascinating usage of psychology. None of the characters were cut out archetypes.

Psycho-Pass: See Shinsekai Yori. They're quite similar anime which is probably why I like them so much.

I've seen some of wolfs rain, I'm going to check out psycho path... I'd better see shinsekai yori since you're like the second person to recommend it
Sep 14, 2014 6:50 PM

Mar 2014
Shinsekai yori.
This anime is really awesome
It talks about what people can do to protect themselves and their idea about a society. About how fear can control humans to a point where you can kill people from your own species to protect the persons you love or kill the persons you love for the greater good. . and about what is wrong.
This anime makes you think about what is wrong and what is not.
Is really philosophical.
Shinsekai yori represents a world when the humans can manage the 100% of their brain. They can handle/or change the space around them as they wish. We can call them powers if we want to.
Well anyways, Shinsekai yori represent a distant future. 1000 years in the future and the human civilizacion has been destroyed.
the main characteres learn about the history of the humanity, which they find out that this blood-stained and more. Then in the summer, an unexpected and unprecedented tragedy strikes humanity and this is where the adventure begins.

Shinsekai is my rank 1# anime and i loved this so much.
Sorry if i wrote something wrong xD.
Sep 14, 2014 7:05 PM

Mar 2014
Kougyokuz said:
Shinsekai yori.

I think ill add a few more

Shingeki no kyojin; A world in which the rest of humanity lives as cattle, and people are already used to the idea of this. They live in cages called walls with +50 meters; because the humanity was destroyed by the Titans, giant monsters who eat humans without any logical reason, bec they dont need to eat them survive. A corrupt world dominated by fear. The story follows three protagonists. And it focuses on the perspective of eren (main protagonist) Eren is not in accordance with his lifestyle and decides to face the Titans and kill them all.

Inu x boku SS; this is really a fun romance anime with a lot of comedy, is about youkais and the relationship beetween a youka-girl and a youkai-butler ( a fox-human-butler)

Kuroko no basuke; a sport anime, with a lot of emotion in all the episodes, this have comedy and is about basketball.

Zetsuen no tempest; This anime is about magic. makes many references to hamlet. And some works of shakespeare. is about two clans who serve to two gods who control the good and the bad. (they are rivals something like the ying and yang). it has action, romance. I love this anime and is really good ;k

Magi; I DONT HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THIS BEC MAGI IS PERFECT BYE
Sep 14, 2014 7:27 PM

Apr 2014
Gintama - at first i thought this anime would be boring because it has 100+ episodes but after watching a few episodes i got hooked by its comedy,action and characters. Also new characters are introduced every episodes bringing out more fun and comedy.. and the creator of the series also makes appearance :D
Sep 14, 2014 7:46 PM

Mar 2014
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Tells the tale of two brothers and their effort to regain their intact bodies after a failed experiment to bring their mother back to life. The characters have real chemistry and the story is so well written that you can't help but keep watching. At first it seems like it isn't going anywhere big, but at the end it's just nonstop action. Streets ahead of the original (except maybe equal in terms of music).
...But it turns out you've already seen it so I'll just move on.

Planetes: I read the description and I wasn't expecting anything big. I mean, it should have just been a romance in space with a couple of tense moments thrown in. Except it was oh so much more than that. I can't spoil exactly what made it tense since it's central to the plot, but I'm telling you... Watch it. It's funny, it's beautiful, and it feels so real.
The best part of this show was that it made me really appreciate how far we've come in terms of space exploration... and how far we have to go.
Just listen to the opening and you'll see what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-OyT4ivkM
˙˙˙ɥɐǝʎ
Sep 14, 2014 7:52 PM
Mar 2014
The Aria series, especially the last installment, Aria the Origination, is a masterpiece of the slice-of-life genre. Amazing setting, beautiful soundtrack, charming characters, and all the little themes it presents honestly influenced the way I look at daily life. I know it sounds naive, but it really impacted me in a touching way that no other form of media has ever done for me. A must watch if you're into slice-of-life shows.
Sep 14, 2014 8:42 PM

Aug 2014
zacoist said:
The Aria series, especially the last installment, Aria the Origination, is a masterpiece of the slice-of-life genre. Amazing setting, beautiful soundtrack, charming characters, and all the little themes it presents honestly influenced the way I look at daily life. I know it sounds naive, but it really impacted me in a touching way that no other form of media has ever done for me. A must watch if you're into slice-of-life shows.

I'm watching the first aria now
Sep 14, 2014 8:43 PM

Aug 2014
Kougyokuz said:
Shinsekai yori.
It talks about what people can do to protect themselves and their idea about a society. About how fear can control humans to a point where you can kill people from your own species to protect the persons you love or kill the persons you love for the greater good. . and about what is wrong.
Is really philosophical.
Shinsekai yori represents a world when the humans can manage the 100% of their brain. They can handle/or change the space around them as they wish. We can call them powers if we want to.
Well anyways, Shinsekai yori represent a distant future. 1000 years in the future and the human civilizacion has been destroyed.
the main characteres learn about the history of the humanity, which they find out that this blood-stained and more. Then in the summer, an unexpected and unprecedented tragedy strikes humanity and this is where the adventure begins.

You're like the third person to reccommend that
Sep 14, 2014 9:07 PM

Mar 2014
silversongwriter said:
Kougyokuz said:
Shinsekai yori.
Is really philosophical.

Then go watch it
Sep 14, 2014 9:25 PM

Jul 2014
Akame ga kill- nice fight scenes, major characters die, suprises me sometimes, esdese
Gintama- self explanatory
Sep 14, 2014 9:41 PM

Aug 2014
Kougyokuz said:
silversongwriter said:

Then go watch it

I gotta finish Aria the animation and Fate Zero... I'm making it so fate zero will be my 80th anime
Nov 4, 2014 3:21 PM

Aug 2014
-Grimmoire- said:

I don't watch stuff with gays in it... so Shinsekai yori is out of the question...
Nov 4, 2014 3:43 PM

Jul 2014
silversongwriter said:
-Grimmoire- said:

I don't watch stuff with gays in it... so Shinsekai yori is out of the question...

Everytime someone says this, I laugh so hard at them I cry.
Nov 4, 2014 3:48 PM

Aug 2014
xDarkrai said:
silversongwriter said:

Everytime someone says this, I laugh so hard at them I cry.

I've heard that in episode 8, some gay shit happens... sorry, but I just don't wanna see that.
Nov 4, 2014 3:52 PM

Jul 2014
Yeah it's a 5 second scene and it's explained in the plot prior to it why. So lol.

Also the source material won a literary award. But it's up to you if you skip it. I just wanted to let you know you could skip it and it's part of the plot.
xDarkraiNov 4, 2014 3:57 PM
Nov 4, 2014 3:56 PM

Aug 2014
xDarkrai said:
Yeah it's a 5 second scene and it's explained in the plot prior to it why. So lol.

So none of the main dudes in the story are gay or bi?
Nov 4, 2014 3:58 PM

Aug 2013
Lucky star - Has konata izumi and shes the master of chocolate cornets. nuth said
Nov 4, 2014 3:59 PM

Jul 2014
silversongwriter said:
xDarkrai said:

If you want me to explain it, it will be a minor spoiler.

Nov 4, 2014 4:00 PM

Aug 2014
Magzablaze said:
Lucky star - Has konata izumi and shes the master of chocolate cornets. nuth said

It's... eh.... Not one of my favorites, not as bad as some say it is. It's just alright
Nov 4, 2014 4:03 PM

Aug 2014
xDarkrai said:
silversongwriter said:

Then there's no way I'm going to watch that show...
Nov 4, 2014 4:05 PM

Jul 2014
silversongwriter said:
xDarkrai said:

See that's why I laugh.
xDarkraiNov 4, 2014 4:17 PM
Nov 4, 2014 4:07 PM

Nov 2014
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

I really liked this because it follows a realistic story that would be seen in real life (Other than the doctor's ignorance towards a patient x_X) and it left a mark on me til this date.

and the opening is awesome as well. :)
Nov 4, 2014 4:18 PM

Aug 2014
xDarkrai said:
silversongwriter said:

Ignorance is bliss as they say. Have fun with yours.

Btw I hate Yaoi and Yuri and I gave this Anime a 10, like other people that can look past one 5 second scene.

It's not the scene that bugs me, it's the fact that everyone is bi... I don't need to see them characters doing gay shit for it to bother me, knowing that they are gay is enough for me to not like it. Even if there's zero kissing and stuff... Of course, that doesn't apply to two chicks, cause it's hot
Nov 4, 2014 4:53 PM

Oct 2014
gurren lagann EPIC nuff said
Nov 4, 2014 4:56 PM

Aug 2014
L
chrisedmonds said:
gurren lagann EPIC nuff said

I love that show so much
Nov 4, 2014 5:40 PM

Oct 2014
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - I honestly still can't believe there's an anime like this. It's by far the biggest, most ambitious story ever told within the medium.

The Ideon: Be Invoked - It's the ending movie to the series Space Runaway Ideon & no other anime has left a bigger impression on me. Aside from being extremely influential & serving as a transition that moved anime in a much darker direction, no other anime has sent chills down my spine the same way this one movie from the early 80s did. You'd probably need to watch 38 out of 39 episodes of the main series to fully appreciate it though because it's a direct continuation.

Kodocha! - Probably the funnest anime I've ever watched. It's nothing like the above two, what with being a silly comedy and all, but it knows exactly what it is & it's extremely difficult not to love. It's consistently funny the whole way through, every single character is loveable & there's never a dull moment. Should be watched english dubbed as well; the english voices are so much better than the japanese ones it's insane.
Nov 4, 2014 5:56 PM
Nov 2014
Future diary, or Miraii nikki in Japanese.

Is about a group of people who are put into a survival game by the god of space an time, Deus ex Machina.
he gives them the possession of a diary (each diary differs from person to person) that can in one way or another tell the future up to 90 days.
each person has to hunt down and kill the others without knowing who they are or what they look like, and the last person alive gets to be the new God.
it mainly revolves around the tragic love story of the main characters, Yuki and Yuno.

Code Geass R1 and R2
(ill probably get a little hate for this, but to the people who may not have seen it, it is simply amazing!)

Japan has been overrun by a "country" that owns more than a third of the world, Britania.
japan has been stripped of its name and the japanese people of there rights, japan was renamed Area 11.
code geass follows the story of a Boy Named Lelouch Vi Britania (lelouch Lamprouge) who as a young boy, along with his sister nanally was abbandoned by theyre father, the Britanian King.

lelouch's is now 17 - 18, he Now lives in area 11, posing as a high school student. and his one desire is to obliterate britania and create a peaceful place for his younger sister to live.
one day lelouch gets caught up in some trouble and ends up receiving the power of geass (the power of the king) to comand anyone to do any action he desires,
lelouch uses this power to his advantage in a war he creates to destroy britania.
Infamous_UchihaNov 4, 2014 6:00 PM
Nov 4, 2014 8:45 PM

Sep 2014
I have 5 favorites, which are real hard to put in any specific order, so in no specific order:

The Legend of Condor Hero
Overview/review: http://www.anime-forums.com/showthread.php?158393-The-Legend-of-Condor-Hero-review

Kingdom
Overview/review: http://www.anime-forums.com/showthread.php?157090-Kingdom-(complete-series)

Kemono no souja erin
Overview/review: http://www.anime-forums.com/showthread.php?140783-Kemono-no-Souja-Erin

Inuyasha+Inuyasha the Final Act
The overview/review for Final Act: http://www.anime-forums.com/showthread.php?133474-Inuyasha-The-Final-act

In addition to my Final Act review, the series in general has the best cast of characters, as well as English VA to go along with them, ever assembled, this anime has one of the top two best/strongest romance aspects in anime history, it has the greatest, and most twisted/evil villain ever created This series has byfar the greatest soundtrack ever created, and all the music by Do As Infinity+ Dearest is downright legendary, among the best Opening/Endings ever created in the history of anime, ect.

Twelve Kingdoms
Off the charts world building aspect, great characters, especially the support characters, this anime has 2 of the greatest support characters ever created, and omg, the dialog to match. It's a masterpiece in story telling, and has great plots, ect.
Nov 4, 2014 9:42 PM
Nov 2013
Hmm I wouldn't be sure of my favourite since I haven't made a top 10 for a few years, but my favourite from that time was "Monster", in my opinion the greatest story ever told in anime, it explores the morality of humans and the joys of life as you journey through the episodes with our main char, lots of character intertwine and are essential to figuring out why a certain character turned out the way he did, it probably has the best villain in anime, he's extremely manipulative, also there's no supernatural bullshit in this anime, it's just a great series, but if you're not willing to watch 70+ episodes to see the story turn out then don't bother.
Nov 5, 2014 4:32 AM

Nov 2014
Ookami to koushinryou (Spice and Wolf) - I loved the storyline, the teasing and romance and the character development. I also overly-enjoyed Horo's accent/dialect. Overall a great adventure/romance/comedy anime, you'll love Horo
Nov 5, 2014 4:38 AM

Apr 2013
One Piece - Show which brought anime to my attention. Funny, great fights, great characters.

Fairy Tail - Great characters, very funny, makes me smile and laugh a lot.

Binbougami ga! - Hilarious comedy show with good fanservice and lovable characters.

High School DxD - Best ecchi show for me, characters are very different and lovable, hottest girls in anime but still has a great plot and action.
Nov 5, 2014 4:41 AM

Oct 2014
FMA:Brotherhood

Great plot,Great Characters,Great Music.What more could you ask for?

More topics from this board

» Can someone please put me on to some sad anime

Fischer77 - 1 hour ago

3 by duchessliz87 »»
3 minutes ago

» Non-hentai anime with traumatizing rape?

stanklem28 - Feb 7, 2014

40 by Omega90 »»
5 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

26 by PostMahouShoujo »»
5 hours ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.