Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

SAO had a lot of potential, but rather than making its ingenious concept on par with its execution.

Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 10, 2014 12:57 AM

Jul 2013
Akito_Kinomoto said:
...I have honestly have no idea what it is about this show that prevents level-headed assessments, 'cause it's neither the 2nd coming of Jesus nor a pile of dogshit. And no, I'm not talking about how its aesthetics balance out its 'crappy' writing, I'm just talking about the writing itself.
I'm not calling it shit, but it's obvious it's under explored and yes the writing is sloppy. The writing is awkward and cheesy. It uses "formula" to make you feel empathy which is what I kind of said above. Give me a topic. I'm down to talk.
“You should respect each other and refrain from disputes; you should not, like water and oil, repel each other, but should, like milk and water, mingle together.” -Buddha
Sep 10, 2014 12:59 AM

Jul 2013
j0x said:
anime is business so its filled with cliche and fanservice, only few anime makers dare to make deep stories

But why don't people boycott bad shit for the industry to get it through their thick skulls?
“You should respect each other and refrain from disputes; you should not, like water and oil, repel each other, but should, like milk and water, mingle together.” -Buddha
Sep 10, 2014 1:04 AM

Jul 2013
j0x said:
keragamming said:

high school grading system affects his scoring maybe, 7 is bad while 8 is average, that is how i score things too

The way you were saying how bad sao is, I thought you would have gave it a low score, I'm surprisingly shock to see you gave it a 8/10. O.o
sorry. I didn't really about the scoring system till recently. My passion for Anime didn't really occur till recently. Like actually analyzing the workings of a piece. I put an 8 cause that was the random number my mouse clicked in to add to my list. It's a 6 now and I'm still making conclusions on the other stuff I've seen. Idk. SAO just made me boil inside enough for the kettle to burst.
Sep 10, 2014 1:22 AM

Jul 2013
Rance-sama said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
...I have honestly have no idea what it is about this show that prevents level-headed assessments.

The adamant fanboys who'll continue to say X anime is the best thing since sliced bread, probably offended Y fanboy who thinks his anime is the best thing and eventually they'll write some shit review about how X or Y anime sucks.

The first season was mediocre but interesting.
The second season went downhill quickly into mediocrity.
SAO II hurts my eyes, but then again almost all the anime that airs this season does the same.

I agree with your claim. SAO II also feels formulaic and wants people's money. They use iconic elements and ungraded the items use in game to make it more flashy. GGO is just more appealing looking than SAO. Light sabers and gun. Old fashion hype formula. Michael Bay is the man I think of who uses this formula the most. Making it big and flashes doesn't create depth. SAO2 is better than SAO, but nothing substantial or ground breaking. I'm an Asian male in nerd culture. I like games cause of the relief of pressure from the life I deal with like an escapism. It's something fun I can focus on. SAO did explore that a bit but then they kind of scraped it. Anime has a similar effect but with a more artistic back ground. I think I'm passionate cause of SAO's ability to touch the hearts of so many but they kind of U turned and went on a crash course.

I disagree with all of this season being complete shit. Space Dandy is quite entertaining in my opinion. It gives the vintage cartoon feel with funk and space. It even has some depth in it too. A little insight in every episode.

Idk if it counts but JoJo's Bizarre adventures is very fun.
ButthurtHetairoiSep 10, 2014 1:31 AM
Sep 10, 2014 1:32 AM

Aug 2013
ButthurtHetairoi said:
How to Improve the Show
SPOILER WARNING:

The executive business man pedo crap with Asuna was a detrimental choice to the series since the first half established her as a strong independent character, but then changed into a damsel in distress aka objectifying women. The misogyny was obvious and created a down hillside to the series. The 2nd half's villain was force to be hated and the incest love complex was just cringing. The second half could have easily been fix by simply extending the first half.
lol

If that was your biggest problem with it. There's no wonder you didn't like it. Watch something else or something. Or make your own show with BIG STRONG LESBIAN WOMEN. That'll show em!

ButthurtHetairoi said:
I apologize for the lack of organization. It was a rant and I'm very passionate about Anime because in my opinion its a sagacious medium that gets hated on for being child like. SAO is a great example for why it gets haters appeal.
Ever think that maybe, just maybe that it has 'haters' for a reason? Anime is criticized an awful lot because of it fans too.

ButthurtHetairoi said:
Actually I'm really new to this. Where do I go? Also I'm a bit amazed by how fast you guess commented on this. do you guys watch the anime forum like sentries?
Go to tumblr or something. This shit has been done to death.

Also, sentries is too kind a word. More like rabid dogs hungry for any kind of food thrown at them.
Sep 10, 2014 1:50 AM

Jul 2013
Fo-Fai said:
ButthurtHetairoi said:
How to Improve the Show
SPOILER WARNING:

The executive business man pedo crap with Asuna was a detrimental choice to the series since the first half established her as a strong independent character, but then changed into a damsel in distress aka objectifying women. The misogyny was obvious and created a down hillside to the series. The 2nd half's villain was force to be hated and the incest love complex was just cringing. The second half could have easily been fix by simply extending the first half.
lol

If that was your biggest problem with it. There's no wonder you didn't like it. Watch something else or something. Or make your own show with BIG STRONG LESBIAN WOMEN. That'll show em!

ButthurtHetairoi said:
I apologize for the lack of organization. It was a rant and I'm very passionate about Anime because in my opinion its a sagacious medium that gets hated on for being child like. SAO is a great example for why it gets haters appeal.
Ever think that maybe, just maybe that it has 'haters' for a reason? Anime is criticized an awful lot because of it fans too.

ButthurtHetairoi said:
Actually I'm really new to this. Where do I go? Also I'm a bit amazed by how fast you guess commented on this. do you guys watch the anime forum like sentries?
Go to tumblr or something. This shit has been done to death.

Also, sentries is too kind a word. More like rabid dogs hungry for any kind of food thrown at them.

You sound nihilistic. Also I'm addressing all the problems that I could spit out at the time. That one just surprised me the most. It's a rant.

If I had money. I would have made something good. Sadly my life path tells me my career is more professional than artistic. Gathering a team and making something good would be my goal. It would take years to chisel out but I can do it.

My main goal was to talk about it. I excepted people to give me feed back and I'm glad that the feed back is calmer than I expected. I have a better understanding on how people work on the internet now.

Doesn't feel like rabid dogs. You are on the internet where you lack a real identity. You can express as much emotion as you want. I'm attacking on something a lot of people like. People tend to stand my their beliefs. Changing them is hard. I know it feel futile but i will learn how this system works eventually.

Thank you for the concern though
ButthurtHetairoiSep 10, 2014 2:09 AM
Sep 10, 2014 4:47 PM

Jul 2013
I don't know why you think that the anime industry should stop making something that the majority loves.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2014 12:32 AM

Jul 2013
_Ultima_ said:
I don't know why you think that the anime industry should stop making something that the majority loves.
popularity doesn't equal good stuff. Rather than making something that's good. They use "formula" to squeeze out the money, because its something that works, but the audience needs to learn. I'm shouting my opinion. It teaching and school. I don't want you to follow it and its parameters. I just want readers to take notice of these things.
Sep 11, 2014 1:08 AM

Jul 2013
Nanet said:
You know what, the first half was also shit because of THE GODDAMN FILLER GIRLS that were OBVIOUSLY there to make Kirito's football team harem larger than life. The first arc was like 14 episodes, I get like half of it as filler.

I would like to expand what I said about foucs. "Survival" was there but the main focus was still the girls (I agree with you). There were a lot of situations were some kind of a life lesson was embedded somewhere in his harem adventures. The emotions aren't from the actual event, but rather the girl's DISNEY EYES (making me feel tingly and protective. HAHA I'M ABOVE THAT). You get the intense setting by the stakes so to preserve their precious formula, they added little bits of struggle to make it looks like Kirito had character build, but it really digresses rather than supporting the main themes. These shenanigans caused Kayaba to be a weak character since we weren't given much about him. Yes there are struggles, but like I said before. Themes are trivialized. We don't know him more than Heathcliff and his game. That's why I wanted more about the chaos or about the game itself. Under exploring SAO also means not really understanding who Kayaba is. If you've seen Indie Games the movie, you would get want I mean. A game is a medium of art and therefore a form of expression. You can clearly see that Kayaba did this for philosophical and experimental reasons. That was the conclusion but not the focus. It went off of what it was intended to do. During the fairy crap, I liked that the sister was part of the adventure but she was there for the wrong reasons. She was the drive Kirito used to continue fighting in SAO but when he comes out of the game, the viewers see siblings not really knowing each other, one-sided incestual love, and misconception. This creates a gap between such a central relationship which makes it feel like coming out of SAO that much less meaningful. I would like to also add Asuna's tentacle crap was cringing and the molestation scene was uncomfortable. Shock value creates emphasis. Lacking focus again. The shifts in ideas make the series feel scattered. The ending worked because of the intensity factor and it was one of the only good scene because we get to see Kirito man up and dominate his oppressor. If you think about it, there isn't real build other than small events that are irrelevant from the plot. That's why I also mentioned that by exploring Aincrad makes the Seed more ionic than just some tool. The lack of focus created a blur of ideas in the series limiting the amount depth that naturally accumulates.
Sep 11, 2014 3:36 PM

Jun 2014
You merit a medal OP. Couldn't be easier better explained then this.
Sep 11, 2014 5:34 PM

Jul 2013
Thai777 said:
You merit a medal OP. Couldn't be easier better explained then this.
Thank you Thai777. It took alot of thought and pacing back and forth for me to express all this
Sep 13, 2014 12:19 PM
Aug 2014
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I found the show very satisfying.

Maybe you just have sh*t taste, ever thought of that?
Sep 13, 2014 7:39 PM

Jul 2013
Anatolian said:

Maybe you should learn fundamentals of film, art(especially visual), and intellectual thinking. I made a through critique and backed it up with evidence and alternative routes to improve. Nice job not saying anything to back up your claim bro. Sword Art Online had good qualities too. I see them cause I can use my brain and interpret things like most humans can. SAO's animation and action scenes were top of the line at its time. Boss fights were fast and flashy with a hit of nostalgia and drive such as the fight with Kirito and the Titan's Hand and him whooping out his duo-swords. I wouldn't call the choreography good, it was not boring and kept the hype. It felt bland when the fighting became repetitive and empty. Like when Kirito fights the horde of guards when trying to save Asuna. I get it, Kirito is super strong, you love Asuna and stuff. I don't need this wall for you to jump over when you jumped over the others. It felt dumb and unnecessary, mainly because the build was awkward and most thing in the second part wasn't really going anywhere.

Lets look at something good:

Sword of the Stranger had an awesome and well done fight, especially at the end, because the choreographer captured traditional samurai and kung fu martial art patterns which helped mix with the tone and the Songoku time period. There attacks were careful and thought out, but this is anime so rather than being overly cautious and slow. They made it fast passed and suspenseful. You can also see the chivalry when the best warrior of both sides combat. Lou-Lang desiring a worthy opponent and No Name is protecting a child in order redeem his honor and righteousness from his villainous deeds from the past. They are both foreign from Japan, faced life's struggles, and searching something, a true battle of chivalry. Not only do you have an awesome fight scene but an art piece. The film is openly critical of both countries' suspicion of foreigners: the strongest warriors seem to be the ones with Western genes (as evidenced by hair color), ostracized by Japan and used as a tool by the Chinese. The fight shows that in the end, it doesn't matter what race, nationality, or ethnicity, but your skill in combat and you purpose. Highly recommend you guys too see this.

SAO lacked the punch. I thought it was odd that the most memorable scenes were 1st boss fight, Titan's Clash, duo-sword whoop out, final fight with Heathcliff, and Sugou's defeat(In-game and IRL). Strange that i didn't really remember that Kirito turned into a giant fire demon, General Eugene, a giant metal dragon, and anything else that slipped my mind and was reminded from my rewatch. The ones I did remember had purpose to build momentum to the plot and/or an exploration of an ideal. They had substance and the others didn't have much or none at all.

I found it weird that my favorite scene was the IRL fight with Sugou. I loved it so much because it the most gripping and the ultimate metamorphosis of Kirito's character. Bringing all that character development to the real world with that flash back parallel of Suguo now and in game and Suguo's sanity deteriorating. It kind of cheating cause its the concluding unexpected climax, but doesn't that just support it even more? When Kirito stood up with his wounds, you know he's a man now.

I didn't say that I didn't like SAO. I just thought it was wrong for it to get so much praise. I rated it a 6 (wish i can put 6.5) because I had to find the good parts out of the bad. I am ripping SAO a part. Breaking it down bit by bit. These concepts had so much potential. Also the second half's villain was very fitting, which should have been saved for later. The ideas were ingenious but the execution was poor.
ButthurtHetairoiSep 13, 2014 7:55 PM
Sep 14, 2014 12:18 PM
Aug 2014
Sorry guy but since you nick is "butthurt" I instantly dismissed al your opinions and didnt bother reading anything you posted in op or this reply.

Oh and btw:

Sep 14, 2014 12:20 PM

Jul 2014
Too many words. I couldn't read it.
. . .
Sep 14, 2014 3:33 PM

Jan 2014
TL:DR
Sep 14, 2014 6:39 PM
Feb 2014
Yohimo_asakura said:

TL;DR: OP is circlejerking about how bad SAO is because A. It's a popular show, B. It's popular to hate and C. He has a contrived sense of superiority due to his taste in Chinese cartoons.

Half the people who hate this show hate it because others do and already have a reserved opinion before watching it. They post threads like this to an anime forum to cause a shitstorm and have a bunch of people patting them on the back as a confirmation bias.

Some people have different tastes, get over it. I personally enjoyed it because epic sword fights yo.
Sep 14, 2014 8:16 PM

Jul 2013
Loganvz said:
Yohimo_asakura said:

TL;DR: OP is circlejerking about how bad SAO is because A. It's a popular show, B. It's popular to hate and C. He has a contrived sense of superiority due to his taste in Chinese cartoons.

Half the people who hate this show hate it because others do and already have a reserved opinion before watching it. They post threads like this to an anime forum to cause a shitstorm and have a bunch of people patting them on the back as a confirmation bias.

Some people have different tastes, get over it. I personally enjoyed it because epic sword fights yo.

Well then I guess you have an issue with deciphering between good and bad art. If you watch something while mindlessly then that's up too you. I take this pretty seriously since I use to be a film major but then i had a stronger interest in economic development. Beside the point. I critiqued it and I liked it. I presented and exploited its flaws, doesn't mean I hate the show.

Only 4 people responded positively with what I said. Others just didn't care enough or tossed it to the side.

There is no bias if I explain exactly why what is what and how each exhibit i brought up supported the general claim. Like Is said in my massive rant. I liked SAO, it was just not as good as it should have been.

What do you mean by Chinese cartoons? Sword of the Stranger you mean? That was a Japanese production.

If anything, your tone sounds like you are the one who actually the bias one because you feel attacked. Prove to me why my critique is bias. I made it easy to understand so my ideas can be digested like baby food. tell me why SAO was a master piece and deserved the praise it gets. Try to use substance to back up what you say rather than spouting empty claims.
Sep 14, 2014 8:17 PM

Jul 2013
Anatolian said:
Sorry guy but since you nick is "butthurt" I instantly dismissed al your opinions and didnt bother reading anything you posted in op or this reply.

Oh and btw:

look above
Sep 14, 2014 8:32 PM
Feb 2014
ButthurtHetairoi said:

I made it easy to understand so my ideas can be digested like baby food. tell me why SAO was a master piece and deserved the praise it gets. Try to use substance to back up what you say rather than spouting empty claims.

The thing is, SAO was not a masterpiece. It's not meant to be a master piece. Yes, I know the story is crap. Does that mean I don't enjoy it?
No, I think it was a good show. I don't judge things on how well it was written or whatnot, I judge things based on how much I enjoy it. Sure, it may have been terrible, but I still like it.

There's a difference between not liking a show and actually being so actively angry about it that you post a rant thread about how terrible it is. I have watched a lot of bad shows, make your judgement then move on. No need to evangelise just how awful something is when there are others who may just enjoy it.

Your post in particular is well written and thoughtful, however, there is a large portion of the anime community who dismiss shows like this and call them awful not because they actually find them bad, but just because they now believe them to be bad because of all the blatant and unnecessary hate.
Sep 14, 2014 8:47 PM

Jul 2013
Loganvz said:
ButthurtHetairoi said:

I made it easy to understand so my ideas can be digested like baby food. tell me why SAO was a master piece and deserved the praise it gets. Try to use substance to back up what you say rather than spouting empty claims.

The thing is, SAO was not a masterpiece. It's not meant to be a master piece. Yes, I know the story is crap. Does that mean I don't enjoy it?
No, I think it was a good show. I don't judge things on how well it was written or whatnot, I judge things based on how much I enjoy it. Sure, it may have been terrible, but I still like it.

There's a difference between not liking a show and actually being so actively angry about it that you post a rant thread about how terrible it is. I have watched a lot of bad shows, make your judgement then move on. No need to evangelise just how awful something is when there are others who may just enjoy it.

Your post in particular is well written and thoughtful, however, there is a large portion of the anime community who dismiss shows like this and call them awful not because they actually find them bad, but just because they now believe them to be bad because of all the blatant and unnecessary hate.

Thank you for clarifying. I thought you were hating on me like the rest of them. I titled it Potential. I did that because I had fun with the series. I'm a young Asian male that escaped from reality to get the excitement and freedom from a game. I'm just really passionate cause it such an ingenious concept. I'll go change the title of the forum. I'm sorry for any confusion.
Sep 18, 2014 12:22 AM

Mar 2014

i don't think the point of SAO was to survive. i think it was to explore the world of SAO. to understand why they were trapped their in the first place. (i distinctively remember something like this in the first synopsis i red of this show)

ALO was a build up upon the Romance of Aincrad while also incorporation MMO government subplots. the incest in the show was tolerable for me because it did seem they treated it in a realistic sense. (well aware that it is wrong/socially not accepted)

and GGO seems to be an exploration of the survivors mentality pertaining their experiences in SAO. it does feel formulaic but since this is dealing with the mental state of two characters while also having another plot of murder going on, it think it was a good choice not to over complicate things.i think they handed Shinon's and Kirito's break downs well.
Sep 18, 2014 12:58 AM

Jul 2013
AzuStar said:

i don't think the point of SAO was to survive. i think it was to explore the world of SAO. to understand why they were trapped their in the first place. (i distinctively remember something like this in the first synopsis i red of this show)

ALO was a build up upon the Romance of Aincrad while also incorporation MMO government subplots. the incest in the show was tolerable for me because it did seem they treated it in a realistic sense. (well aware that it is wrong/socially not accepted)

and GGO seems to be an exploration of the survivors mentality pertaining their experiences in SAO. it does feel formulaic but since this is dealing with the mental state of two characters while also having another plot of murder going on, it think it was a good choice not to over complicate things.i think they handed Shinon's and Kirito's break downs well.

The whole entire point of the beginning of SAO was to survive. The point of being trapped there wasn't brought up till near the end of the first half. They also didn't explore SAO that much. All I know is that its a virtual MMO. If it was simply that then my rant makes even more sense.

The romance was twisted. Episode 12 end on a note and then it dove into ALO, because of the pedo. Like I said in my rant, the incest also made Kirito's drive of getting out of SAO weaker and somewhat pointless.

I didn't have much time to give GGO a critique and I really don't want to bother. I need to catch up with other shows that I have a strong interest towards.

The thing with SAO I noticed is that people really liked the concept and defend it to the death. I liked it too but if you compare SAO to something theme filled yet very focused and deep (FMA brotherhood, Gurren Laggan, Black Lagoon, Steins Gate, Clannad, etc). The issues I mentioned pop out even more. Side stories are fine in a show, but you need to either go through with it completely or expand it well. SAO like I said in my rant was like a balloon was too much tension. gonna pop
Sep 18, 2014 2:09 AM

Mar 2014
ButthurtHetairoi said:

The whole entire point of the beginning of SAO was to survive. The point of being trapped there wasn't brought up till near the end of the first half.

it wasn't talked about directly until that time but the world of SAO and the draw of Aincrad was brought up multiple times, even in the first episode (when Kirito is talking about how beautiful the world is and how awesome it feels)

the main goal in the game (before it became a death game) was to beat the 100 floors. as well. the feeling of "survival" in the sense of them being near death wasn't as big of a focus throughout the show.

ButthurtHetairoi said:

They also didn't explore SAO that much. All I know is that its a virtual MMO. If it was simply that then my rant makes even more sense.

they explored the world of SAO alot though. from the characters and their different backstories/how they were dealing with the SAO world to the basic mechanics of the system

You have single character focus arcs like Lizebeth, they show a hint at her back-story with the picture on the wall, she is surrounded by other players (are they dead? did she just move away? these questions help flesh out Lizebeth by adding an air of mystery to her that you would normally get when meeting new people.)

that same episode showed us now people are contributing to the cause in different ways (being a weaponsmith) while also showing us that these aincrad floors have different landscapes and details to each which the ice mountains and dragon (this is also done earlier though)

they also bring up the question of what is real and what isn't. even though they are just code, they feel like humans when touching (this is part of the reason SAO was created)

then there are even longer arcs ,like the honeymoon arc, that flesh out the world in multiple ways. we get to learn about how the world of SAO is run while also creating grey area of what is real and what is virtual (Yui).

We also get to learn about a great amount of people and how they live in the world. some take the leisurely route in the MMO by fishing the day away. Some create foster cares for children trapped in the game. still, all are antagonized by guilds no matter where you are. seeing the make-up and community of SAO at floors well beyond the MC made it feel like the game wasn't just Kirito and his problems.

we also get to see this MMO's unfinished areas, which is somewhat common in creating games (giving the world even more of a realistic sense)

and of course, we get to see the Romance of the series realized after it has been hinted at throughout the anime.

ButthurtHetairoi said:

The romance was twisted. Episode 12 end on a note and then it dove into ALO, because of the pedo. Like I said in my rant, the incest also made Kirito's drive of getting out of SAO weaker and somewhat pointless.

no it doesn't, it is explained/shown that after Kirito's experiences in SAO, his relationship with his sister was strengthened.

Kirito, before the death game, didn't really socialize at all with his family (from guilt i assume) and put all his time and attention toward his games. his reason for initially wanting to beat the game seemed to be more a gamer mindset for him. he didn't want to lose to the world. but ,from the many experiences he had and the people he encountered, he really started to gain more confidence and forward to his life outside the game more. still, at this point it seems like this is because of Asuna more so than his sister.

still, Kirito wasn't even aware of his sister's feelings at the time of SAO. either way, they wouldn't discourage his brotherly love for her, seeing as he did handle the situation in ALO up-front.

ButthurtHetairoi said:

The thing with SAO I noticed is that people really liked the concept and defend it to the death. I liked it too but if you compare SAO to something theme filled yet very focused and deep (FMA brotherhood, Gurren Laggan, Black Lagoon, Steins Gate, Clannad, etc). The issues I mentioned pop out even more. Side stories are fine in a show, but you need to either go through with it completely or expand it well. SAO like I said in my rant was like a balloon was too much tension. gonna pop

well i felt like the themes in SAO were focused and deep. the reoccurring theme of "what is real/what is virtual" is explored throughout many people and situation. (My favorite being the Mystery arc)
AzuStarSep 18, 2014 4:39 PM
Sep 18, 2014 2:10 AM

Jan 2013
lmfao misogynistic.
Sep 18, 2014 2:14 AM

Jun 2009
Holy fucking shit that title...
Sep 18, 2014 11:17 PM

Jul 2013
grandy_UiD said:
Holy fucking shit that title...
dude bro. I was passionate about my beliefs. I'm only telling the truths
Sep 18, 2014 11:21 PM

Jan 2014
ButthurtHetairoi said:
Yes, 5 out of 6 MAL users do nothing but scum the forums all day long. Alas, you have attracted their ire by bringing up... the Unmentionable Anime.

I can't guarantee it will actually help, but say 50 Hail Marys and 50 Our Fathers and go right to bed, you might survive this.
Sep 20, 2014 8:27 PM

Mar 2009
I wouldn't say that SAO *deserves* either hate or praise. It's just a story, whether good or bad, and some people liked it more than others. But I definitely agree that it did not live up to its potential as a story with a very intriguing premise. But I guess the author was overambitious in that respect.

I actually liked the Alfheim part of the story better, since it had a more cohesive plot, and plus I guess I just thought the fairy world was more interesting than the generic sword-without-sorcery Aincrad...

As far as realism is concerned, there were definitely way too many young, pretty females in those games, but it became pretty clear by the end that it was more concerned with being a nerd's fantasy than a gritty, realistic story about a game that people can't log out of. Unfortunately.
Sep 20, 2014 8:31 PM

Sep 2012
The wall of text was so big that it's length leaked into the title of the thread, holy crap.

SAO is entertaining and that's all I care about.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 21, 2014 1:52 AM

Jul 2013
Korrvo said:
The wall of text was so big that it's length leaked into the title of the thread, holy crap.

just proves to yo how many issues SAO had.
Sep 21, 2014 1:57 AM

Jul 2013
zharth said:
I wouldn't say that SAO *deserves* either hate or praise. It's just a story, whether good or bad, and some people liked it more than others. But I definitely agree that it did not live up to its potential as a story with a very intriguing premise. But I guess the author was overambitious in that respect.

I actually liked the Alfheim part of the story better, since it had a more cohesive plot, and plus I guess I just thought the fairy world was more interesting than the generic sword-without-sorcery Aincrad...

As far as realism is concerned, there were definitely way too many young, pretty females in those games, but it became pretty clear by the end that it was more concerned with being a nerd's fantasy than a gritty, realistic story about a game that people can't log out of. Unfortunately.

Thanks fro agreeing with most of the big points I made and also writing something interesting rather than typical one line replies.

Its true that the 2nd part was more cohesive, but it had the tail of being the second part which was not only stepped on but it was also a drag(shown in the massive rant).
Sep 21, 2014 11:20 AM

Sep 2012
ButthurtHetairoi said:
Korrvo said:

They are only issues if you make them issues.

I enjoyed everything SAO gave me and so did many others. Just cause it could have been "better" doesn't mean it "should" have been better, so I see nothing "wrong" with it in the first place, and thus very little reason to bitch or complain about it.

oh yeah and now that I'm actually reading your post

lol @ misogynistic

please go back to tumblr
KorrvoSep 21, 2014 11:24 AM
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 22, 2014 12:59 PM

Jul 2013
Korrvo said:
ButthurtHetairoi said:
They are only issues if you make them issues.

I enjoyed everything SAO gave me and so did many others. Just cause it could have been "better" doesn't mean it "should" have been better, so I see nothing "wrong" with it in the first place, and thus very little reason to bitch or complain about it.

oh yeah and now that I'm actually reading your post

lol @ misogynistic

please go back to tumblr
Most of what i wrote has a lot of proof that backed up what I claimed. If the flaws are so evident and you can't see them, then I think you should take some film courses to make your critiquing more prudent. I'm not calling it wrong, but I don't think its right or even good. That's the bullshit that art has to deal with, subjectivity. That's why you have to compare and contrast.
Don't laugh at misogyny if its literally right there on screen. You are looking at the typical damsel in distress formula which is supporting inequality.
Sep 22, 2014 1:09 PM

Sep 2012
Here's the thing.

I like SAO, and I like it's "flaws", though I use the word loosely.

They aren't flaws; they are simply not what you'd rather see. The fact that you think it "should" be different is nothing more than a bi-product of a horribly elitist mindset that is just one of the many cancers that fandoms, like the anime fandom, have to put up with.

When you begin "critiquing" an anime for not being what it's clearly not trying to be, then that's where you know you fucked up.

"This apple should taste more like an orange because I like oranges better. 2/10, what a shitty apple."

Critique is fine and I welcome it as well as any form of intelligent discussion, but at that point it's not critique or intelligent anymore, it's just overrated bitching.

ButthurtHetairoi said:

Don't laugh at misogyny if its literally right there on screen. You are looking at the typical damsel in distress formula which is supporting inequality.
You will not get taken seriously on the internet if any of that shit is ever in any of your arguments.

Because for one, nobody gives a shit, and second, people hate femi-nazis. I am one of those people.

This is a show meant for guys. Guys have dicks. If you have a problem with that and want to be an obnoxious SJW, keep it to yourself, or as I said earlier, take it tumblr.
KorrvoSep 22, 2014 1:22 PM
Sep 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Jul 2013
Korrvo said:
Here's the thing.

I like SAO, and I like it's "flaws", though I use the word loosely.

They aren't flaws; they are simply not what you'd rather see. The fact that you think it "should" be different is nothing more than a bi-product of a horribly elitist mindset that is just one of the many cancers that fandoms, like the anime fandom, have to put up with.

When you begin "critiquing" an anime for not being what it's clearly not trying to be, then that's where you know you fucked up.

"This apple should taste more like an orange because I like oranges better. 2/10, what a shitty apple."

Critique is fine and I welcome it as well as any form of intelligent discussion, but at that point it's not critique or intelligent anymore, it's just overrated bitching.

ButthurtHetairoi said:

You will not get taken seriously on the internet if any of that shit is ever in any of your arguments.

Because for one, nobody gives a shit, and second, people hate femi-nazis. I am one of those people.

This is a show meant for guys. Guys have dicks. If you have a problem with that and want to be an obnoxious SJW, keep it to yourself, or as I said earlier, take it tumblr.

I'm criticizing SAO's structure, foundation, and writing. You are talking about the presentation and topics. Very different. You should read a more about film theory and analysis. Also if you want to compare apples to oranges, a survival video game doesn't mix well with incest. You presented a big budget piece with an interesting concept that has little exploration. Kind of disappointing that they took the formulaic route rather than the more intellectual and creative one.

Call me snobbish, but I'm expressing my opinion. Never called my answer objective. Its just everything is so laid out and simple for anyone to see. I just put it into words. Your accusations are hypocritical.

So you promote social hierarchy? wow
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

66 by Mousu-kun »»
2 hours ago

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

58 by AtelierAni »»
Yesterday, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

163 by SignsOfSuicide »»
Apr 14, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2012

734 by Lionwing »»
Apr 7, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

948 by Reshiram_IX »»
Apr 2, 4:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.