Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (20) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 9, 2014 7:07 PM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
The same thing that I think about people who won't watch new stuff. That they're close minded and can probably find anime in it that they would like. But hey, it's their taste, I don't give a shit.

^ And the fact that newer shows get so much hate and criticism when those types of people bask in the oldies and "classics" like its the only good anime out there.
Sep 9, 2014 7:16 PM

Jun 2014
What's to like about old anime other than nostalgia?
Sep 9, 2014 7:16 PM

Apr 2013
In the words of the great Michael Jackson, "They're ignorant."

Sep 9, 2014 7:51 PM

Jul 2012
Qans said:

Different genres and themes. Like how we barely get any space opera/hardcore sci-fi/good mecha anime these days but there's a lot of old shows that fit it. Same goes for mystery/detective anime too. Now, there's more of action/battle/shounen though.
Sep 9, 2014 7:52 PM

Jun 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Aside from seasonals I find myself mostly watching stuff from the 70s-90s nowadays. The art is just more appealing to me, cel animation rocks, the OPs/EDs and OSTs are also great and for movies and OVAs sometimes you even get amazing animation that is rare nowadays.

It was also rare for those days as well. First rate animation is very rare overall, only Akira, Ponyo and Wind Rises have full 24 frames per second animation I think.

As for people who categorically avoid 'old' anime, it's pitiable, especially when they don't even mean 90s or older but avoid anything older than 4 or 5 years, but I stopped 'crusading' to convince them otherwise a long time ago. There's a difference between preferences and complete close-mindedness, so either people will try out some titles on their own sooner or later when it matches up with their interests, or they don't deserve it anyway. No sense in getting angry or annoyed by it. I have my seemingly endless pool of awesome oldies to get over their ignorance after all :>

Indeed. Fighting idiots on the internet is a complete waste of time. They are only hurting themselves if they don't watch the old stuff. Also, anime is a new medium: old stuff is from 1996 or so, that's not really old for me since I was already alive and watching anime in 1996 (Yu Yu Hakusho was a childhood favorite of mine).
Jose_CruzSep 9, 2014 7:55 PM
Sep 9, 2014 7:54 PM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
IntroverTurtle said:
The same thing that I think about people who won't watch new stuff. That they're close minded and can probably find anime in it that they would like. But hey, it's their taste, I don't give a shit.

^ And the fact that newer shows get so much hate and criticism when those types of people bask in the oldies and "classics" like its the only good anime out there.

That's a problem as well. Today more anime is made than ever before so the tendency is for more good stuff to be had today than ever before.
Sep 9, 2014 7:54 PM

Oct 2013
Qans said:

Older hentai has better animation than newer hentai
Sep 9, 2014 7:58 PM

Jul 2014
I can't watch anything from 2000 and back
Sep 9, 2014 8:03 PM

Jul 2012
SwagDemonMan said:
I can't watch anything from 2000 and back

What about Evangelion?
Sep 9, 2014 8:16 PM

Jul 2012
I like Mid 80s and 90s animation styles a lot
My favorite Anime ever made isn't exactly The "newest" either

The voices were amazing in the English Dub too!
MiraniaSep 9, 2014 8:23 PM
Sep 9, 2014 8:26 PM
May 2007
It is virtually impossible for me to consider anything before 2000 or 1998 or whatever old.

I remember being the only minor at small anime gatherings at local universities in the 90s. Membership was small, but they let me in. I remember shortly before VHS fansubs, we'd be watching LDs imported from Japan and one of the guys studying Japanese at the university would type up his translations, print them out, and distribute for us to read before hand. I remember one of these animes was just mostly 80s stuff.

I've been watching anime for a very long time (if you can count the dubs of Robotech/Macross, Flying House, Super Book, and Voltron) and have watched anime as old as Cyborg 009 and Tetsuwan Atom in Japanese, and the newest anime I have seen so far is the latest Initial D movie (but intending to see the new Garo anime series and the next Code Geass movie). I live in Japan so anything new, I tend to watch in theaters 95% of the time though the last series I watched was Hajime no Ippo Rising but i got up at like 1:15am to watch it. And I rented Initial D Final Stage.

But there is a lot of old anime with amazing quality like Castle of Caglistro, Akira and Macross Do You Remember Love. And a certain significant percentage of my bias for older anime is I really love the soundtracks in them. Ashita no Joe, the original Gundam series, Sailor Moon 90s (characters had some awesome image songs), and Macross.
Sep 9, 2014 8:56 PM

Jun 2007
mayukachan said:
Qans said:

Different genres and themes. Like how we barely get any space opera/hardcore sci-fi/good mecha anime these days but there's a lot of old shows that fit it. Same goes for mystery/detective anime too. Now, there's more of action/battle/shounen though.
Yeah, I guess it's hard to convince people to watch older shows if they're completely satisfied with the types of anime that're common today and in the recent past. However, some people say "I hate all the moe/ecchi/otaku anime that's on these days, give me something gritty, dark, mature, and violent", but then refuse to consider anime that fits their request simply because it was made before some arbitrary cutoff year. Those people are shooting themselves in the foot, no two ways about it.
Sep 9, 2014 9:01 PM

Mar 2012
ParaParaJMo said:
It is virtually impossible for me to consider anything before 2000 or 1998 or whatever old.

I remember being the only minor at small anime gatherings at local universities in the 90s. Membership was small, but they let me in. I remember shortly before VHS fansubs, we'd be watching LDs imported from Japan and one of the guys studying Japanese at the university would type up his translations, print them out, and distribute for us to read before hand. I remember one of these animes was just mostly 80s stuff.

I've been watching anime for a very long time (if you can count the dubs of Robotech/Macross, Flying House, Super Book, and Voltron) and have watched anime as old as Cyborg 009 and Tetsuwan Atom in Japanese, and the newest anime I have seen so far is the latest Initial D movie (but intending to see the new Garo anime series and the next Code Geass movie). I live in Japan so anything new, I tend to watch in theaters 95% of the time though the last series I watched was Hajime no Ippo Rising but i got up at like 1:15am to watch it. And I rented Initial D Final Stage.

But there is a lot of old anime with amazing quality like Castle of Caglistro, Akira and Macross Do You Remember Love. And a certain significant percentage of my bias for older anime is I really love the soundtracks in them. Ashita no Joe, the original Gundam series, Sailor Moon 90s (characters had some awesome image songs), and Macross.

We don't have many people on this forum, in your age group and with your story. I'm glad to have you here. I'm a 90s guy myself, but it's awesome to see a fan from the 80s. I really need to get into Macross, but I need to finish the original Gundam first. I think I will go back to it, after Trigun and Mushishi.
Sep 9, 2014 10:07 PM
May 2007
RichtheLionheart said:
ParaParaJMo said:

We don't have many people on this forum, in your age group and with your story. I'm glad to have you here. I'm a 90s guy myself, but it's awesome to see a fan from the 80s. I really need to get into Macross, but I need to finish the original Gundam first. I think I will go back to it, after Trigun and Mushishi.

I am like one of the few users here who remembers and at one point used the anipike.
Sep 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Aug 2014
Princess Tutu is a very manly old anime.
Sep 9, 2014 10:20 PM

Oct 2013
Vulpixel said:
Qans said:

Older hentai has better animation than newer hentai

That shouldn't even be considered to be a joke. -_-
Sep 9, 2014 11:15 PM
Mar 2011
RichtheLionheart said:
ParaParaJMo said:

hes a bit older than me but i grew watching my oldr siblings anime vhs and betas and i was waaching stuff like gundam and anime miaed at older peoople tna i when i was very young
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 9, 2014 11:34 PM

Nov 2013
I think they should give them a chance despite the animation and I got my friend to start watching Great Teacher onizuka xD and he said he really likes it so far.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Sep 9, 2014 11:40 PM
Mar 2011
MrGoldiii said:
I think they should give them a chance despite the animation and I got my friend to start watching Great Teacher onizuka xD and he said he really likes it so far.

imo the aniation uprage is next to 0 cuse monder animw art lack the detail of nice trdation hand drwen animation
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 10, 2014 12:22 AM

Apr 2014
I basically watch any anime, but I'm not a big fan of old animes (1980s-1990) I do enjoy some of them, but they don't really grab my attention. I guess its just what you grew up watching. For example I loved watching DB and DBZ as a kid. But then again as a kid I thought the animations we're amazing. But compared to animation now-adays its nowhere near as good.

E.g. Disney movies back then Cinderella, compared to the remade versions)

Everyone has their different tastes and opinions and I respect that, If you don't like older animations you don't have to. But some of them gems and incredible even though they were made many years ago.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2014 3:01 AM

Jun 2014
Anything that is above 1990 is okay for me. xD
:3
Sep 15, 2014 3:36 AM

Mar 2014
They're feel to like what they like.
I personally think it's sad when people tell me that they won't watch anything old because of the animation regardless of how good it is.
Sep 15, 2014 3:52 AM
Oct 2010
An old anime with budget constraints tend to be hard on the eyes. They used a ton of cut aways, stills and recycled scenes so it takes away from the experience.
Sep 15, 2014 3:57 AM

Feb 2014
Simple ooh my animu is better than yours go watch it thread.

"Everything you see on the internet isn't true." -Abraham Lincoln
Sep 15, 2014 4:06 AM

Jan 2013
sumusiko said:
nucblus said:
I tried to write a lot of things here but i only came off as a total asshole with the things I had to say.

So I'll just ask: What do you think of these people who stray away from old anime?

I personally can't stand them. I mean, I would at least be able to understand them if their preferences had something to do with the content of the shows. But they don't.

They just think old animation is bad.

And it's not.

I don't like the animation, so I don't like them. Who cares anyways, people keep trashing Mirai Nikki just for the lols of it without any good explanations either but it's not like I care, I still keep loving it.

Just ignore people who don't like old animes and you keep enjoying them.

people bash mirai nikki because it has lots and lots of problems :D and you do seem to care as you bring it up LOL
Sep 15, 2014 4:08 AM

Apr 2013
To each their own. They are missing out on some good older titles but hey what you watch doesn't concern me.

I just started Lupin III from 1971 and the animation is better than I thought it would be for something that old.
Sep 15, 2014 5:26 AM

Jun 2012
I do get annoyed when people trash on some anime for superficial reasons like that. Animation is not appealing to them, so they overlook all good things anime have to offer. Especially older anime, when stories felt more original and like more effort was put in them.

But I wont get into pointless arguments with those people. if you don't want to watch it, don't. If you dislike it, I don't care. I'm not going to try and persuade anyone to watch something just so I can hear them bitch about animation.

There are people who appreciate older anime, so you can always discuss it with them if you're up to it.
Sep 15, 2014 6:35 AM

May 2013
old anime have really bad art. Which is 1/3rd of the show for me. If the content isn't good enough then I won't watch it.
Sep 15, 2014 7:15 AM

Jan 2012
watch anything and everything crew checking in..

pick and choose = their loss

if people enjoying seeing 1% of all anime out there then hey.... fuck em and let them be...
Sep 15, 2014 7:24 AM

Apr 2014
nucblus said:

They just think old animation is bad.

And it's not

Old animation is old and I prefer the newer than older.
and thus I don't watch anime from before 2000.
Mladen said:
I do get annoyed when people trash on some anime for superficial reasons like that. Animation is not appealing to them,

Animation is Superficial ? Anime is all about the animation, If I don't watch anime for the animation than I rather read a manga.
tr1ckst3rSep 15, 2014 7:27 AM
Sep 15, 2014 7:29 AM

May 2012
I don't mind watch an old anime if it has some good and enjoyable story like Berserk. But I always prefer modern anime over old one.

I also like Sailor Moon Crystal much more than original one. The original feels so outdated, and it is hard to watch.
Sep 15, 2014 7:47 AM

Jun 2012
[quote=tr1ckst3r]
nucblus said:

Mladen said:
I do get annoyed when people trash on some anime for superficial reasons like that. Animation is not appealing to them,

Animation is Superficial ? Anime is all about the animation, If I don't watch anime for the animation than I rather read a manga.

People who say "Anime is all about animation" make me think that they would watch biggest shit ever, as long as it looked good.

If anime is really good and engaging, then animation shouldn't be that big of a deal. I know that it's important, but it doesn't have to be highest budget animation every time for anime to be good.
Sep 15, 2014 7:59 AM

Sep 2014
I don't really like old anime because of the art style and character design, they often tried to be too realistic and I just don't like it. If a friend recommends one or it very well known for being superb then i will give it a shop.
With the new animes, the subtle things really make a difference, The way their faces move and the lighting on their bodies. Also, the modern anime are more relatable especially when it comes to the humour. Lastly, the old animes don't have those really short chibi moments that are sometimes just plain hilarious.
Blood looks better on the floor.
Sep 15, 2014 8:03 AM

Feb 2010
SWANKYDANK said:
I don't really like old anime because of the art style and character design, they often tried to be too realistic and I just don't like it. If a friend recommends one or it very well known for being superb then i will give it a shop.
With the new animes, the subtle things really make a difference, The way their faces move and the lighting on their bodies. Also, the modern anime are more relatable especially when it comes to the humour. Lastly, the old animes don't have those really short chibi moments that are sometimes just plain hilarious.

I don't think I've seen chibi artstyle being used in old anime, it's a fairly recent thing as far as I can tell.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 15, 2014 8:14 AM

Apr 2014
[quote=Mladen]
tr1ckst3r said:
nucblus said:

People who say "Anime is all about animation" make me think that they would watch biggest shit ever, as long as it looked good.

If anime is really good and engaging, then animation shouldn't be that big of a deal. I know that it's important, but it doesn't have to be highest budget animation every time for anime to be good.

you got FMA B in your fave list, say IF FMA B got animated with an pre-2000 animation style, will you still have the same enjoyment you got with FMA B actual animation?
animation is not everything but it's especially not superficial. no matter how good the anime if they make it with crappy animation, lot of still shot and repetitive scene it will turn out to be bad.
like I said before, because I want to see it animated or the animation, that's why I watch anime. If not, I rather read some manga.
Sep 15, 2014 8:19 AM

Feb 2013
Im not a fan of old anime but i dont hate it either. Right now im watching Trigun and im really enjoying it, l think people who hate old anime is just because they dont give it a try same with people who hate on new anime but again is their tastes so whatever.

Sep 15, 2014 8:21 AM

Jun 2012
[quote=tr1ckst3r]
Mladen said:
tr1ckst3r said:

you got FMA B in your fave list, say IF FMA B got animated with an pre-2000 animation style, will you still have the same enjoyment you got with FMA B actual animation?
animation is not everything but it's especially not superficial. no matter how good the anime if they make it with crappy animation, lot of still shot and repetitive scene it will turn out to be bad.
like I said before, because I want to see it animated or the animation, that's why I watch anime. If not, I rather read some manga.

I also have Cardcaptor Sakura in my favorite list, which aired with pre-2000 animation style. That doesn't mean anything. I enjoyed FMA B because of amazing story and characters. Not really because of the looks of it. And I don't know. I assume I would, but I can't know until I actually see it with pre-2000 animation.

Some anime are even complimented by their seemingly unappealing animation. Something like Ping Pong Animation, which was awesome anime and got dropped left and right because it didn't have appealing animation. That anime would probably not have same height of quality if it was all about animation.

Manga and anime are completely different media of entertainment. Take in account voice acting, sound, color, etc. It's not only animation looks.
Sep 15, 2014 8:27 AM

Feb 2010
Ping Pong has amazing animation though. It's the sketchy artstyle that bothers some people, but that's also what allows for the great animation so yeah.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 15, 2014 8:32 AM

Dec 2012
I think that they're rather shallow, using age or animation as a singular determining factor, when there are many more factors to consider.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 15, 2014 8:42 AM

Nov 2012
If they won't watch it simply because its old then they are narrow minded morons. If the dislike older animation, story plots, voice acting then They have a reason to dislike it and I could care less.
Sep 15, 2014 9:49 AM
Sep 2014
Animes from the 90's and beginning/middle of the 20's is FAAAR superior the the crap people are making today.
Sep 15, 2014 9:59 AM

Nov 2012
gh0stcat said:
Animes from the 90's and beginning/middle of the 20's is FAAAR superior the the crap people are making today.

Well there were tons of horrible show during those periods as well. So someone could simply state the same thing but with reversed roles.
Sep 15, 2014 12:30 PM

Sep 2014
Their loss. They're missing out on some truly visionary animation and storytelling. Especially in the feature lengths and OVAs. Even throwaway "trash" like Genocyber is better animated, better drawn, and has more inspired lunacy than most of what you can find today. And forget about even trying to hang with Patlabor 2, Royal Space Force, Jin Roh, Mononoke Hime, Magnetic Rose etc.

What they'll say is "B-b-but Redline!" Yes, impressive but the story isn't about shit and it has more in common with the animation of yesteryear than what is popular now. Madhouse transcends time.

But I will give credit to TV shows being better animated on average than the TV shows of the 90s. Too bad the character drawing is so cheap and lazy though. Wake me when one of these studios partners Nobuteru Yuki full Lodoss War "realistic" mode character design with good animation in a TV show. And no bloom, pls.
Sep 15, 2014 12:34 PM

Apr 2014
Bean_Bandit said:
But I will give credit to TV shows being better animated on average than the TV shows of the 90s. Too bad the character drawing is so cheap and lazy though. Wake me when one of these studios partners Nobuteru Yuki full Lodoss War "realistic" mode character design with good animation in a TV show. And no bloom, pls.
Some shows that are currently airing have really good character design like Haikyuu!! and Tokyo Ghoul. The character designs in these shows are really well done.
Sep 15, 2014 12:54 PM

Sep 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
Some shows that are currently airing have really good character design like Haikyuu!! and Tokyo Ghoul. The character designs in these shows are really well done.

Been meaning to check out Tokyo Ghoul. Good to know about the designs. Plus it's horror to boot? I"m going to party like it's 1996

I think the characters in Terror in Tokyo are decent. Nothing special, but they have that Shinichiro Watanabe look that I like.
Sep 15, 2014 1:04 PM

Apr 2014
Bean_Bandit said:
Milk_is_Special said:

Been meaning to check out Tokyo Ghoul. Good to know about the designs. Plus it's horror to boot? I"m going to party like it's 1996

I think the characters in Terror in Tokyo are decent. Nothing special, but they have that Shinichiro Watanabe look that I like.
Tokyo Ghoul is a pretty good anime so far, the horror isn't really horror and it censorship is horrible and I mean really horrible.
Sep 15, 2014 1:14 PM

Nov 2013
I've watched a fair number of 70's/80's/90's anime, I prefer new anime though, I just like them better, but there are also some great older anime.
Sep 15, 2014 1:31 PM

Aug 2012
I'm one of those people that don't really watch old anime. The animation of the show is a huge part, why is that not a viable reason to skip it?
Sep 15, 2014 1:46 PM

Apr 2013
gh0stcat said:

TIL Madoka, Fate Zero, TTGL, FMA:B, Shinsekai Yori, Jojo, HxH, Mawaru Penguindrum, Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, etc are crap.
Sep 15, 2014 1:47 PM

Apr 2014
ShortCircuit-kun said:
gh0stcat said:

TIL Madoka, Fate Zero, TTGL, FMA:B, Shinsekai Yori, Jojo, HxH, Mawaru Penguindrum, Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, etc are crap.
That's probably sarcasm if you haven't noticed it yet.
Pages (20) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

43 by 8oomer »»
1 minute ago

» what do you think is the worst genre ever existed

dumbandinsane - 3 hours ago

16 by Sorachin »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

104 by SeleneOnTheMoon »»
31 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Yesterday

58 by pludel2 »»
33 minutes ago

» Opensource app app for watching anime and reading manga

nikhuge1994 - 52 minutes ago

0 by nikhuge1994 »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.