Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (20) « First ... « 18 19 [20]
Jun 28, 2016 3:36 PM

Oct 2015
I don't care how old something is as long as it's good. I frequently watch anime over 10 years old.

I have also seen a good amount of 90's anime and some 80's anime as well. Here's some good pre-2006 anime.

In fact I kind of like watching old anime sometimes because older anime has more adult main characters and I actuelly like to watch the old art style sometimes.

Trigun (1998)
Cowboy Bebop (1998)
Outlaw Star (1998)
Neon Genies Evanglion (1995)
The Big O (1999)
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Cyber City Odeo 808 (1990)
Whispers of the Heart (1995)
Pom Poko (1994)
Porco Rosso (1992)
Pricess Mononoke (1997)
Only Yesterday (1991)
Berserk (1997)
Perfect Blue (1997)
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Akira (1988)
Castle in the Sky (1986)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
Spirited Away (2001)
Howls Moving Castle (2004)
The Cat Returns (2003)
FLCL (2000)
Wolfs Rain (2003)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2002)
Steamboy (2004)
Full Metal Alchemist (2003)
Beck (2004)
Tokyo Godfathers (2003)
MattKitsune96Jun 28, 2016 3:44 PM
Jun 28, 2016 3:50 PM

Jan 2014
Two of my favourite anime's, DragonBall and Maison Ikkoku, were both made in the 1980s. In general, I don't particularly mind on an anime's art and animation, It's all about whether or not the story is good. (then again, I get bored easily so)

An old anime art and animation in particular, mixed in with the classic OST's, definitely does bring a certain atmosphere to the anime that makes it stand out from each other.
“Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.”
Jun 28, 2016 4:16 PM

Sep 2011
I dont like them because:

1) I dont like the lower resolution.
2) I dont like the non-widescreen resolution.
3) Older animation has an aesthetic that I don't really like.
4) Older anime are significantly harder to find, especially with good translations.
Jun 28, 2016 4:26 PM

Apr 2015
Don't really care if they don't like it, at the end of the day they're the ones missing out. ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

-Mastergold
Jun 28, 2016 4:55 PM

Sep 2015
I don't think is bad, it just happens to don't catch my attention.

Many plots which used to be original and fresh back then were used again, making everything look cliche or predictable. I have a hard time watching things like Sailor Moon or Candy Candy.

You just lost the game
Jun 28, 2016 5:20 PM

Nov 2015
If an anime that came out a decade ago or even longer is still influential and people still talk about it then theres something good about it.

Those who don't watch it because it looks old are just missing out on great stories.

It doesn't really bother me, it's their problem as long they don't say the show is bad because of how it looks I don't really care.
Jun 28, 2016 5:25 PM

Aug 2015
Animation plays a big role in my enjoyment. Though I don't mind watching a few old anime if I find the plot interesting.
I love Studio Ghibli movies. I honestly did not notice they were that old until I got into MAL. :P
Jun 28, 2016 7:02 PM

Jun 2016
Yea ... so like my nephew said something about a series being old that I showed to him and surprisingly enough he's over then 18. Yea I know it sounds like a bad joke. I'll watch anything if it captures my interest but that's just me. Randomly picked up dr slump and questioned nothing. But heck all you fellow Astro Boy lovers, what's older then that???
Jun 28, 2016 8:37 PM

Jul 2013
Like the dude said in page 1, "people who don't watch old anime are shallow and pedantic". People who don't like older anime have never watched cartoons long enough and cartoons play an important role in one's childhood. Like Lupin said in "The Secret of Mamo" movie, "you need to watch more cartoons", that means you MAL.

Cishet said:

Many plots which used to be original and fresh back then were used again, making everything look cliche or predictable. I have a hard time watching things like Sailor Moon or Candy Candy.

Too bad you don't like Sailor Moon, because the music is good.

Shirasho said:

4) Older anime are significantly harder to find, especially with good translations.

I don't think you even watch anime for music.
Kurt_IrvingJun 28, 2016 8:48 PM
Jun 28, 2016 8:53 PM

Sep 2011
Kurt_Irving said:

Shirasho said:

I'd like some context here. Nowhere did I mention music. You also mention something about people who don't like older anime have not watched cartoons long enough. Safe to say I've seen significantly more series than you have, and nowhere did I say that I didn't watch old series. I simply stated my dislike for them due to the reasons mentioned. It's pretty hard to watch a series you don't have access to.
Jun 28, 2016 9:07 PM

Aug 2015
I think they're fine and not all of them hate old stuff for the animation alone.

Take me for example

My problems with the old anime isn't just the animation

Well, for one, the technology in a lot of old anime is really inconsistent

Wormholes, robots, invisibility cloaks but you're still using lead bullets....

A lot of them are monster of the week type shows as well, there's that
Jun 28, 2016 9:12 PM

Jul 2013
Shirasho said:
Kurt_Irving said:

I'd like some context here. Nowhere did I mention music. You also mention something about people who don't like older anime have not watched cartoons long enough. Safe to say I've seen significantly more series than you have, and nowhere did I say that I didn't watch old series. I simply stated my dislike for them due to the reasons mentioned. It's pretty hard to watch a series you don't have access to.

I've seen enough cartoons to argue with you and you're talking to someone who's been watching lots of things animated for 23 years. I never even said you didn't watch an old anime, you assume I did. Also, people who don't like older anime are [usually] ignorant by default.

It's possible to get into an anime if the music is awesome and a rock musician once said "You don't sell out concerts, meet millions of fans and go platinum if your music sucks. Period." By this logic, Initial D or the Lupin part II series doesn't even suck a lot or is pretty much bogus.
Kurt_IrvingJun 28, 2016 9:16 PM
Jun 29, 2016 9:23 PM
May 2015
So, basically people hate old anime just because of art, the story doesn't matter to them. They don't mind watching newer anime having glossy art with bullshit storyline. No wonder they will eat shit if it is covered with golden foil.
Jun 30, 2016 4:20 AM

May 2016
ekla said:
So, basically people hate old anime just because of art, the story doesn't matter to them. They don't mind watching newer anime having glossy art with bullshit storyline. No wonder they will eat shit if it is covered with golden foil.

Firstly, hasty assumptions and flawed logic. Secondly, hate is too strong a word. I believe the thread title mentioned dislike, which is pretty much what most of us who dont watch old anime feels. It is not like we harbour hatred or malice towards animation...
We dont like old anime because how it looks turn off interest. As simple as that. Not because we dont care about the story. Think about it this way. Most product producers care about presentation, it affects the number of potential customers. In general,if I have the money , i would rather buy cool, flashy running shoes over plain white ones. It looks nicer, so I judge it based on that. For all I know, the flashy shoes are cheap china knock offs that break after a few runs while the modest white ones have better quality materials. The content is great, but I didnt know that beforehand and I just trusted my sight. We all do this, not just for anime but for many choices in life(in buying new bags, books, that flashy new ride you had your eye on) or judge base on sight and appearance alone. (Unless you are blind, then my condolences) So yeah, the inferior animation turn off my interest and I can't help that. Of course this would mean we miss out, but hey, you cant miss what you never had. I feel no regret for the shows that I didnt watch. Honest.
I am pretty sure though, if the story is all that great, if we forced ourselves to sit throuh a couple of episodes,we'd be hooked. GTO and evangelion were a blast! Who would hate a good story?
RyoKei-sanJun 30, 2016 4:26 AM
Jun 30, 2016 2:33 PM

Jun 2009
One thing I do notice, that some people don't want to watch old anime but are okay with watching older western animation. Like Fist of the North Star, Wicked City, Slayers, Yu Yu Hakusho and Ninja Scroll are too old for them to watch, but watching Rugrats, Cow & Chicken and 80's Ninja Turtles shows are no problem.
Jun 30, 2016 2:44 PM

Nov 2013
Cishet said:

it's because you pick wrong anime to watch. They're literaly bad and you can see that their score are low in MAL. Try to watch something like HxH, Ashita no Joe, or Slam Dunk, it's better than most anime nowadays.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jun 30, 2016 3:00 PM

Jul 2014
Who cares? If they don't like older shows, that's totally fine.
Jun 30, 2016 9:08 PM

Sep 2015
KyouKaiTen said:
Cishet said:

it's because you pick wrong anime to watch. They're literaly bad and you can see that their score are low in MAL. Try to watch something like HxH, Ashita no Joe, or Slam Dunk, it's better than most anime nowadays.

I've watched them. Actually, Slam Dunk is one of my favourites.

You just lost the game
Jul 1, 2016 6:25 PM

Jun 2007
Shirasho said:

It's refreshing to see some honesty when it comes to technical factors like these, as opposed to the usual "bad artstyle" talking points.

Though I do wonder how shows like Vandread, Noir, .hack//SIGN, Last Exile, and others managed to gain popularity back in the day, despite not fitting the majority of displays at the time.
Jul 1, 2016 6:53 PM

Mar 2012
The worst era visually is early digital 4:3 non-HD anime. You're not getting the benefits of HD animation and progress, while still being 4:3 and being muddy.

Thankfully, the anime industry remasters a lot of its stuff so some of these issues can be fixed overtime.

Being an old anime fan, I'll play devil's advocate for the new anime fans skeptical of older anime. Old anime can be stunning and the art style is in many cases better; however, you need $$$ to pull this off. When older anime has deal with budget restrictions, things can get VERY bad. Background and side characters can look downright awful. Hell, this can even seep into the main cast and everything else, though studios try to avoid that.

Just look at the art of that character. It's God awful. Thankfully, you also get this type of art in classic anime.

Jul 1, 2016 8:12 PM

Jan 2013
nucblus said:
sumusiko said:
Just ignore people who don't like old animes and you keep enjoying them.

No.

1: The animation is irrelevant if the story is good.
2: Akira has the best animation of any feature length film.
Eh I'd say one of the ghibli films or Sword of the Stranger or KNK had better animation.
Jul 1, 2016 8:15 PM

Jan 2013
Zalis said:
Shirasho said:

It's refreshing to see some honesty when it comes to technical factors like these, as opposed to the usual "bad artstyle" talking points.

Though I do wonder how shows liked Vandread, Noir, .hack//SIGN, Last Exile, and others managed to gain popularity back in the day, despite not fitting the majority of displays at the time.
I don't know about the first 3 but for Last Exile is probably because it was pretty different from other shows during that time period.
Jul 1, 2016 8:15 PM

Feb 2015
I don't like older animes (2000 or less) simply because I'm a very perceptive person. All the glitches and sounds bother me so much. Also because of the old way to create effects makes me sick, I almost passed out once with the flashing. I'm also just picky on animation, older animes don't look that good and todays stuff is overall better
Jul 1, 2016 9:22 PM

Apr 2013
But that's none of my business :>

Anime in 2016 LUL
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jul 1, 2016 9:24 PM

Apr 2013
And 2016 Berserk is absolutely dogshit

jokes on people thinking new anime will always look better
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jul 1, 2016 9:32 PM

Aug 2015
RichtheLionheart said:
The worst era visually is early digital 4:3 non-HD anime. You're not getting the benefits of HD animation and progress, while still being 4:3 and being muddy.

+1 This man speaks the truth.

I love watching and marveling at beautiful cel animation, only fairly recently has digitally colored anime started to look good.
Jul 1, 2016 9:41 PM

Jul 2014
Old shows are fine, but for me they take some time to adjust to the kinda dirty look and bad animation, especially after watching a newer show.
Jul 1, 2016 9:51 PM

Jun 2016
It bothers me when people stay away from old anime because of the art style, but I'm not going to go out of my way to try to change their mind. Their loss, not mine.

Also people mix up art style and animation quality. There's a fair share of old anime with poor animation quality (still images and such), but people tend to have more problems with the cel animation of the 90's and earlier. Personally, I think cel anime, like Cowboy Bebop, have more style than computer animation.

behind these hills
i'm reaching for the heights

Jul 1, 2016 10:02 PM

Mar 2015
Digital art looks too clean and shiny for me, I prefer the more duller but still bright colors and rougher lines. There also tends to be a brighter color pallet used in digital anime, not by much but enough for me to notice.

Digital art can look good, but they don't do it as often because that's not what the current target audience wants. I'm fine with how newer shows look though. I don't care about how a show looks as long as it's entertaining to watch, unless it's bad CGI mecha.
Jul 1, 2016 10:25 PM

Mar 2012
kamisama751 said:

What is the name of that anime? :D Seems like something from the 80s.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/207/Lodoss-tou_Senki?q=record%20
Jul 6, 2016 11:01 PM
May 2015
MechaGuy said:
Digital art looks too clean and shiny for me, I prefer the more duller but still bright colors and rougher lines. There also tends to be a brighter color pallet used in digital anime, not by much but enough for me to notice.

Digital art can look good, but they don't do it as often because that's not what the current target audience wants. I'm fine with how newer shows look though. I don't care about how a show looks as long as it's entertaining to watch, unless it's bad CGI mecha.
agree now this what I call a stunning art! Will definitely watch t anime.
Jul 6, 2016 11:09 PM

Dec 2015
Not everyone has the same taste, I personally, after I get tired of watching some of the newer shows, go back and some of the 90s anime, they have this calming effect on me and I also really like the 90s animation style
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 8, 2016 7:49 AM
Jun 2014
It's definitely unfortunate that there's people out there who refuse to watch an anime just because of it's particular art style or genre. It's something you can't really change about people. People are entitled to their own opinions. You can only try to influence and budge their interests. You just have to remember that it's their loss. You tried to help them but if they are stubborn and ignorant then its not your fault that they won't listen. For an example, I have friends who will never watch Clannad because they believe it's too old and has a different art style compared to a lot of anime today. It's their loss for missing out on one of the most highest critically acclaimed anime out there.
Aug 18, 2021 8:23 AM
Apr 2021
I like the really old ones like Cowboy Bebop or Eva but I just have prejudice for every anime from 2005 all the way through 2014. I don't know why, but most of them seem boring and repetitive.
Of course, this excludes ongoing ones like AoT, which is absolutely incredible.
Aug 18, 2021 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
JUON said:
nucblus said:

Depends on the person. Some say 2004 and up, some 2006, and some can't watch anything more than five years old.

Wow, am I the only one here who considers old anything before, say, 1998? o.o
Kinda not, I count old anything before 2000. Most of my favourites are 2000-2010.
Aug 18, 2021 9:13 AM

Oct 2019
It really depends on the definition of 'old'.

From my personal opinion, the anime aired in the last 15 yrs looks the same. Things started to change for those aired more earlier. Also, the mainstream of anime has been continuously changing, from robots and sci-fictions to romance school comedies and isekais nowadays. People now don't really like such films, especially with the poor quality (below 360p).
"Diving deep in the ocean of ACGL"
Pages (20) « First ... « 18 19 [20]

More topics from this board

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 39 minutes ago

4 by ryokoblue »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

43 by MichaelJackson »»
8 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

104 by FFandMMfan »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

41 by SnipeStrike »»
12 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

67 by Chuckiemuffin »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.