Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Sept 1 - 7

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 9, 2014 5:24 PM

Jul 2014
b1GZZ said:
I don't like to see Kill la Kill to much on the tops... I didn't like it either, that must be the reason then.
Wut? Jinsei is selling decently? That was totally unexpected, I see people usually saying it's bad :o
Nourin and Bokura no Minna wa Kaiwasou having good sales, amazing! =D Hoping for new seasons for both of them.

... I'm sorry, what? Jinsei's sales were awful, particularly considering that it had an event ticket and sold for a far lower price to generate interest, which obviously didn't work. Nourin and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou are also selling poorly, averaging 2,000 is nothing to be impressed about.
Winter_Fox_TamiSep 9, 2014 5:36 PM
Sep 9, 2014 6:04 PM

Sep 2011
kurosaki_kabuto said:
Fullmetal89 said:
Maybe this will get Studio Trigger to make a Hoshi no Samidare adaptation *nudge* *nudge*.

This a hundred times. Sadly very unlikely. The only time when it was actually possible for it to be made was a few years ago and they (while still at Gainax) chose to do Panty and Stocking instead - or so Mizukami Satoshi said in an interview.

To be honest, there's still a small inkling of hope inside me. That was the first thing that came to my mind when they announced they were forming Trigger to be honest.

Yeah *sniff* every time I think about Panty and Stocking I can't help but get depressed because it took the place of what could have been a spectacular anime. I would love for Hoshi no Samidare to get a proper adaptation. I still have hope that the former members of Gainax now in Studio Trigger will push this adaptation forward. If it is made as well as Gurren Laggan it could easily topple it. It's definitely got the better story, characters.
Sep 9, 2014 9:16 PM

Aug 2010
Nothing I'm really watching made it...
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 9, 2014 10:15 PM

Jun 2008
No Accel World for blu-ray. ;_;
Sep 9, 2014 10:45 PM

Nov 2007
Retro8bit said:
No Accel World for blu-ray. ;_;

The last volume for Accel World was released on 2013/02/27. How can you expect it to still be charting more than a year later?
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Sep 10, 2014 10:49 AM

Jul 2010
Winter_Fox_Tami said:
b1GZZ said:
I don't like to see Kill la Kill to much on the tops... I didn't like it either, that must be the reason then.
Wut? Jinsei is selling decently? That was totally unexpected, I see people usually saying it's bad :o
Nourin and Bokura no Minna wa Kaiwasou having good sales, amazing! =D Hoping for new seasons for both of them.

... I'm sorry, what? Jinsei's sales were awful, particularly considering that it had an event ticket and sold for a far lower price to generate interest, which obviously didn't work. Nourin and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou are also selling poorly, averaging 2,000 is nothing to be impressed about.

I am not even really aware of Jinsei... No idea why I haven't heard of it before this...
Sep 10, 2014 11:34 AM

Nov 2011
Out of curiosty, I looked at the current numbers to look at whats shows will be filling the 3 & 4 top spots of the season(love Live and Haikyuu already claimed the top 2). Jojo P3, Gochiusa and Mahouka are the only 3 I see taking the last spots in the top 4. But i'll be placing my bets on JoJo(3#) and Gochiusa(4#), with mahouka as a close 5th.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 11, 2014 11:34 AM

Oct 2007
I still don't know why Persona is doing so well this week even topping Oricon on it's release date despite looking absolutely horrible in terms of animation quality and just not being a very good representation of the game and it's story and characters. Nobody seems to like it either, not even fans of the game or Marie or whatever which makes it even more baffling. Really not a fan of this seasons whole trend of just easily rewarding A-1 Pictures shows which are just really kind of not that good in terms of craftmanship. Like I know they're pretty much the only studio that came to bat with some sure fire sellers, but still to me the actual effort to put out a good show using those licenses like Persona, SAO and those big names with Aldnoah just isn't there in a lot of cases. I don't know if it's the licenses themselves or extras in the disc package that are making up the difference or what but it just doesn't make any real sense to me and looks like it's just becoming way too easy again to score easy hits off of low effort work.

I say this as a really big fan of the Persona franchise too, the anime does not deserve to become a bestseller for the complete lack of effort that was put into it. Please Japan stop rewarding poor effort, it really can't be that hard not to just hand certain elements of the industry easy success like this.
PeacingOutSep 11, 2014 11:39 AM
Sep 11, 2014 2:10 PM

Sep 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I still don't know why Persona is doing so well this week even topping Oricon on it's release date despite looking absolutely horrible in terms of animation quality and just not being a very good representation of the game and it's story and characters. Nobody seems to like it either, not even fans of the game or Marie or whatever which makes it even more baffling. Really not a fan of this seasons whole trend of just easily rewarding A-1 Pictures shows which are just really kind of not that good in terms of craftmanship. Like I know they're pretty much the only studio that came to bat with some sure fire sellers, but still to me the actual effort to put out a good show using those licenses like Persona, SAO and those big names with Aldnoah just isn't there in a lot of cases. I don't know if it's the licenses themselves or extras in the disc package that are making up the difference or what but it just doesn't make any real sense to me and looks like it's just becoming way too easy again to score easy hits off of low effort work.

I say this as a really big fan of the Persona franchise too, the anime does not deserve to become a bestseller for the complete lack of effort that was put into it. Please Japan stop rewarding poor effort, it really can't be that hard not to just hand certain elements of the industry easy success like this.

Dude as a big fan of Persona myself it's not that bad.

I mean would you rather they didn't make it at all. They had no reason to make this adaptation but they did anyways. It's not like this changes the original game in any way. You aren't forced to watch it. Sure it kind of sucks but it's not the worse thing I've ever seen. There are far worse things that have done well in Japan than Persona 4 Golden: The Animation.
FullmetalRaikouSep 11, 2014 2:24 PM
Sep 11, 2014 2:16 PM

Oct 2007
Fullmetal89 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Dude as a big fan of Persona myself it's not that bad. I mean would you rather they didn't make it at all. They had no reason to make this adaptation but they did anyways. It's not like this changes the original game in any way. You aren't forced to watch it. Sure it kind of sucks but it's not the worse thing I've ever seen. There are far worse things that have done well in Japan than Persona 4 Golden: The Animation.

I don't think people understand here. Its a matter of being sick and tired of mediocrity being rewarded so faithfully. I guess most people really just watch anime strictly for disposable cheap entertainment these days and don't care about that sort of thing much but to me its just leading to a one step forward one step back look for the industry. I don't know it just never ceases to amaze me how little people seem to care about this sort of thing. Its like companies just have no standard or creativity that they are held to by anyone anymore, just have the right license, the right names and pander to the right people with the right extras and the actual quality of the show is a secondary concern at best.

And of course they had a reason to make this adaptation. Easy low effort cash in and naturally it works because nobody cares enough to expect anything better. Anime made some really good strides towards more effort being put into adaptation towards the end of the prior decade but I feel things have been sliding backwards in that department particularly these past two seasons. The only adaptation it feels like any sort of creative effort and passion was put into was Ping Pong and naturally for that it must be a commercial flop. It's again to use the term I keep using just kind of pathetic. What a joke anime is becoming to me lately.
PeacingOutSep 11, 2014 2:22 PM
Sep 11, 2014 2:21 PM

Sep 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I don't think people understand here. Its a matter of being sick and tired of mediocrity being rewarded so faithfully. I guess most people really just watch anime strictly for disposable cheap entertainment these days and don't care about that sort of thing much but to me its just leading to a one step forward one step back look for the industry. I don't know it just never ceases to amaze me how little people seem to care about this sort of thing.

Look I agree with you that there's a lot of mediocre shows that do exceptionally well even though they don't deserve it. That said it's not like this didn't happen in the past. Every year we get a barrage of shitty anime that does pretty well because it's pandering to the loneliest of Otakus; with a sprinkle of the occasional good show. I get were your coming from but being frustrated about something you really can't do anything about isn't healthy. I've come to terms that the audience in Japan, in general, doesn't like the same things I do. So I just take what I can get, sure it pisses me off like what Studio Pierrot has done with Tokyo Ghoul but it is what it is. I have to accept that they have fucked up the adaptation to something I was really looking forward to and move on.
Sep 11, 2014 7:30 PM

Oct 2007
Fullmetal89 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I don't think people understand here. Its a matter of being sick and tired of mediocrity being rewarded so faithfully. I guess most people really just watch anime strictly for disposable cheap entertainment these days and don't care about that sort of thing much but to me its just leading to a one step forward one step back look for the industry. I don't know it just never ceases to amaze me how little people seem to care about this sort of thing.

Look I agree with you that there's a lot of mediocre shows that do exceptionally well even though they don't deserve it. That said it's not like this didn't happen in the past. Every year we get a barrage of shitty anime that does pretty well because it's pandering to the loneliest of Otakus; with a sprinkle of the occasional good show. I get were your coming from but being frustrated about something you really can't do anything about isn't healthy. I've come to terms that the audience in Japan, in general, doesn't like the same things I do. So I just take what I can get, sure it pisses me off like what Studio Pierrot has done with Tokyo Ghoul but it is what it is. I have to accept that they have fucked up the adaptation to something I was really looking forward to and move on.

Hmmm yeah for whatever reason somethings just clicking chemically again that I've been fretting and stressing to much about things like this in general lately and its a good way to an early grave. I need to probably commit more towards just doing and focusing on the things that do make me happy in life. Even if the whole world feels like its spiralling out of control into a bottomless pit of greed selfishness and hedonism maybe working to separate my entertainment from the other stressors isn't such a bad idea right now.
Sep 12, 2014 5:30 AM
May 2012
Nice, Kill la Kill!!
Sep 14, 2014 12:24 AM

Apr 2013
Gochiusa :3

I hope there's a season 2.
Sep 14, 2014 9:46 PM
Dec 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:

People who buy it are probably fans of the video games which are huge among the otakus. And don't care much about if the anime is actually good.
Sep 15, 2014 3:53 AM
Jul 2018
Sad to see that Kill last Kill is topping, but that's just from my personal dislike. I seem to be one of the few who hated it.
Sep 16, 2014 3:22 PM

Aug 2014
I wonder why Kuroshitsuji sold more DVDs than Blu-Rays. That's definitely different.

This was a slow week outside of Persona 4 Golden. I guess Arena or 5 will be the next TV series.
Sep 17, 2014 2:10 AM

Nov 2007
Kamima said:
I wonder why Kuroshitsuji sold more DVDs than Blu-Rays. That's definitely different.

Anime that are aimed at female fans or not necessarily aimed at female fans (but many female fans like it), will usually show around a 50% or higher ratio for DVD to BD sales.

Obviously for anime aimed at male fans or not necessarily aimed at male fans (but many male fans like it), the BD to DVD ratio is typically 75~90%.

Most likely this is because female fans don't really care much about video resolution quality compared to male fans (480p vs 720/1080p), or many females haven't upgraded to BD players yet, or female fans want to save the ~¥1000 difference from buying DVD instead of BD. So DVD higher than BD for Kuroshitsuji is not surprising at all.
EjcSep 17, 2014 2:14 AM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
3 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

3 by Maumuu »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
10 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.