Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 24, 2013 1:33 AM

Aug 2012
So solemn and mysterious. Love it.
Aug 15, 2013 10:05 AM

Sep 2009
:'( What a sad story. His wife died. And that wife thought that only 3 days has passed.. If they're going to make a movie like this, it would be very nice. Since the story in this episode is so touching :)
Aug 22, 2013 6:14 PM
Jul 2013
All the episodes so far had the best endings i've ever seen. I wonder if the rest of the series is just going to be stories like these or if it'll become episodic
Sep 26, 2013 5:58 AM

Jul 2012
the feels with this episode were strong T_T I though the Mushi in this episode was particularly fascinating, and I liked even more the fact that they didn't got to control or kill the mushi. and yes, the thing from the fog seem more like a gigantic centipede and its also very interesting how this life forms have such different time lapses, this being 3 years as if it were 3 days, and the one from the previous episode having one day only.

I was really glad that the missing wife came alive, I hoped there's was nothing wrong, I thought that the mushi wanted back the women and they would have to fight it, instead she already became mushi u.u sad... the kimono scene at the ending was quite touching. Beautiful series so far, and it has ambiguity, one of my favorites elements in art.
Oct 27, 2013 7:51 AM

Jul 2013
Am I the only one who thought it was kind of messed up that Shiro was okay with the new girl trying on his dead wife's kimonos? :/ I know she didn't know, and he said it was fine, but that scene just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
(눈_눈)
Jan 5, 2014 7:09 AM

Dec 2012
A sadder episode this time around, especially the reunion with the man's wife. At the very least he was able to get closure though and move on with a new purpose in his life. I really like how this series keeps changing things up, making each episode a new, unexplored adventure.
Jan 21, 2014 6:01 AM

Dec 2013
What a sad episode :(
Feb 6, 2014 12:48 AM

Oct 2013
Osaka117 said:
Its so sad, but so beautiful at the same time. I felt quite bitter sweet by the end.

yeah
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 17, 2014 2:49 PM

Jun 2013
Is it just me or have there been more sad episodes than happy ones? I feel that it's almost an ongoing theme in Mushishi that something tragic happens in every episode..
Mar 18, 2014 7:42 AM

Aug 2013
That was really sad. It's good that he has found something (and someone) else to live for. If I was in the same predicament, I'm not quite sure if I wanted to go back.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 24, 2014 11:02 AM

Dec 2012
What an amazing episode, yet again.
Mar 26, 2014 2:40 PM

Sep 2011
ntHai said:
In this episode more than half a year has passed. Ginko sure takes his time.
I'm beginning to think ginko isnt human from how much time seems to have passed over just 8 episodes in addition to how he knows so much about mushi.

Great episode. Really emotional.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 26, 2014 7:25 PM

Jan 2013
prosit said:
Does anyone know the name of the ending song?

Umi Sakai ^^
Apr 1, 2014 7:31 PM

Oct 2010
katarin said:
Am I the only one who thought it was kind of messed up that Shiro was okay with the new girl trying on his dead wife's kimonos? :/ I know she didn't know, and he said it was fine, but that scene just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh god this. I was like "y-you're really just gonna let her wear all your dead wife's clothes and not even tell her about it?"
Apr 8, 2014 11:35 PM

Jan 2014
I'm glad Ginko managed to make that man
feel the power to move on. Sad and quite
encouraging the same.
Apr 13, 2014 10:42 PM

Aug 2012
That ending ;_;

By far my favorite episode
Apr 19, 2014 7:13 AM

Sep 2013
Heh... no Mushishi episode ends on a completely happy note.
Apr 20, 2014 2:22 AM

Jun 2011
I was happy to see that the man could find it in himself to move on from the grief of losing his wife. Very touching episode.
Apr 21, 2014 8:17 PM

Oct 2011
a_new_challenger said:
So solemn and mysterious. Love it.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Jul 15, 2014 2:32 PM

Oct 2013
sad that she died but at least he got a new girl ???
note to self stay away from the fog
[/quote]
Jul 24, 2014 2:14 PM

Dec 2013
Not much happened but it was a surprisingly good episode. It felt kinda different comparing to previous episodes. Mushi were introduced after 13 minutes or so.
Aug 21, 2014 5:07 PM

Dec 2011
:'(
A few things really got to me in this episode, but the biggest is that Shiro is partially (or completely) responsible for his wife being trapped in the fog at sea. He told her that he didn't expect her to follow him to his hometown, and that she could return home if she wanted (because it didn't suit her to live in the boonies)... I think because of that she began doubting her place by Shiro's side, and was unable to see his hometown as her home too. With those doubts and no home to return to, Michihi was unable to see the land from inside the fog.

Shiro's words were simple and careless, but they cut deep. I'd like to say that the guilt of being unable to apologize to his wife contributed to him being unable to let go... but that doesn't seem quite right.

What I didn't notice the first time I watched this is that Shiro was really living on a razor's edge. As Ginko says, "... It seemed you might lose your desire to go on living the moment you found any of your wife's personal effects." Shiro assured Ginko that wasn't true anymore. He had found his place in the village and even started "something" with a village girl. (Even then, it seems he still longed for his wife. "You stare out at the sea sometimes... I worry you'll be washed out to sea.")
... That's the only reason Ginko let him go into the fog so easily... Yet the moment he met his wife again, he lost his ability to see the land.
This really was a story of Shiro being unable to let go of his wife and the past that he lost.

Ginko's role is rather interesting... It was necessary and rather cruel how Ginko told Shiro to leave his wife behind... But Michihi disintegrating in his arms was an even more cruel realization that she is not the same as before.
DalPuriAug 21, 2014 10:25 PM
Oct 8, 2014 8:25 PM

Feb 2013
That turned out to be a bit tragic. I had a feeling it wouldn't be too happy of an ending even after that guy found his wife...
Oct 9, 2014 1:22 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Very good episode.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Oct 19, 2014 8:16 AM

Oct 2013
DalPuri said:
:'(
A few things really got to me in this episode, but the biggest is that Shiro is partially (or completely) responsible for his wife being trapped in the fog at sea. He told her that he didn't expect her to follow him to his hometown, and that she could return home if she wanted (because it didn't suit her to live in the boonies)... I think because of that she began doubting her place by Shiro's side, and was unable to see his hometown as her home too. With those doubts and no home to return to, Michihi was unable to see the land from inside the fog.

Shiro's words were simple and careless, but they cut deep. I'd like to say that the guilt of being unable to apologize to his wife contributed to him being unable to let go... but that doesn't seem quite right.

What I didn't notice the first time I watched this is that Shiro was really living on a razor's edge. As Ginko says, "... It seemed you might lose your desire to go on living the moment you found any of your wife's personal effects." Shiro assured Ginko that wasn't true anymore. He had found his place in the village and even started "something" with a village girl. (Even then, it seems he still longed for his wife. "You stare out at the sea sometimes... I worry you'll be washed out to sea.")
... That's the only reason Ginko let him go into the fog so easily... Yet the moment he met his wife again, he lost his ability to see the land.
This really was a story of Shiro being unable to let go of his wife and the past that he lost.

Ginko's role is rather interesting... It was necessary and rather cruel how Ginko told Shiro to leave his wife behind... But Michihi disintegrating in his arms was an even more cruel realization that she is not the same as before.

Spot on...

This episode was the perfect example of how bittersweet Mushishi is. I can't imagine any other series introducing a new set of characters every episode and still making you want to cry for them by the end of each one.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 8, 2014 6:21 AM

Jan 2014
Mushi coming in between love.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 21, 2014 6:00 PM

Jan 2014
This show makes me so relaxed, the music is just perfect. Really sad episode though.
Dec 7, 2014 6:59 AM

Dec 2010
Free_Candy said:
Syllen said:
uh so what happened to his wife?

she died...
But why?

Great episode, either way. One of my favorites.

Cynderella said:
A lot of the male characters he meets look the same.
At first I was thinking the same, and that it's kinda bad, but at this point I think the point is to see Ginko's encounters from his point of view - he meets so many people affected by Mushis during his travels, that their faces eventually stop making difference and just blend into the face of a Mushi encounter victim.

On another hand, there are quite some stories that you remember distrinctly.
Dec 23, 2014 6:18 PM

Jun 2014
eerie episode with a sad end

Feb 9, 2015 7:52 AM

Jan 2014
but why did his wife turn into a mushi? O_o

and lolol ginkos so smooth at inviting himself along xD
Mar 17, 2015 2:33 PM

Aug 2014
Another sad, but thoughtful episode.
Mar 26, 2015 12:25 PM

Feb 2015
Cynderella said:
A lot of the male characters he meets look the same.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2015 7:12 AM
Nov 2014
What a story, love this ep.

Sad to see what happened to the guy's wife.

Glad to see he moved on to better things now.
Apr 20, 2015 3:13 PM
Apr 2015
Okay, this episode was certainly not conclusive! He said they spent 2-3 hours in the fog, while a month passed on the shore. Say 2 hours equals 1 month, therefore 24 hours equals 12 months, or in other words: 1 day inside = 1 year outside.

When Shiro told his story to Ginko in the beginning, he said it took place 2 years 6 months ago. Ginko then came back after what seems to have been several months, so let's just assume that from the point Shiro went into the fog with Ginko, 3 years had passed since he lost his wife. Upon finding his wife, she conclusively states that "it has been 3 days", which makes perfect sense as 3 days withinin the fog equals 3 years outside the fog.

So according to the math, the time that actually passed inside the fog was 3 days, a relatively short amount of time that the woman could have easily survived. It's correct that she didn't want to return home to begin with, but she was still just there for an actual 3 days, not enough time for her to die or for her body to decompose. And certainly, the fog didn't consume her, because Shiro was in the fog two times, and nothing happened to him either. The only thing that happens to you if you don't want to return home is that you lose sight of the shore and get lost in the fog, which could in no way be a problem if you were saved (which she was!) a mere 3 days later.

I'm fine with sad endings, but suggesting that "time passes slower in the fog than outside" was stupid. If that really was the case, they should have been able to save the woman with ease. Thank you for reading.
May 19, 2015 7:34 PM

Jul 2014
Another good episode. 4/5
Jul 6, 2015 2:17 AM
Aug 2014
Silva13iP said:
Okay, this episode was certainly not conclusive! He said they spent 2-3 hours in the fog, while a month passed on the shore. Say 2 hours equals 1 month, therefore 24 hours equals 12 months, or in other words: 1 day inside = 1 year outside.

When Shiro told his story to Ginko in the beginning, he said it took place 2 years 6 months ago. Ginko then came back after what seems to have been several months, so let's just assume that from the point Shiro went into the fog with Ginko, 3 years had passed since he lost his wife. Upon finding his wife, she conclusively states that "it has been 3 days", which makes perfect sense as 3 days withinin the fog equals 3 years outside the fog.

So according to the math, the time that actually passed inside the fog was 3 days, a relatively short amount of time that the woman could have easily survived. It's correct that she didn't want to return home to begin with, but she was still just there for an actual 3 days, not enough time for her to die or for her body to decompose. And certainly, the fog didn't consume her, because Shiro was in the fog two times, and nothing happened to him either. The only thing that happens to you if you don't want to return home is that you lose sight of the shore and get lost in the fog, which could in no way be a problem if you were saved (which she was!) a mere 3 days later.

I'm fine with sad endings, but suggesting that "time passes slower in the fog than outside" was stupid. If that really was the case, they should have been able to save the woman with ease. Thank you for reading.

The problem wasn't that the woman was starving or something. The problem was the she didn't want to go to the shore. Thus..the Mushi took over her during that time. As Ginko said only those who want to go back , can go back. So..the woman was probably already taken over by the Mushi when they found her. Shiro wasn't affected because both the times he wanted to return back.
Aug 3, 2015 11:30 PM

Dec 2011
TyphoonS said:
Silva13iP said:

The problem wasn't that the woman was starving or something. The problem was the she didn't want to go to the shore. Thus..the Mushi took over her during that time. As Ginko said only those who want to go back , can go back. So..the woman was probably already taken over by the Mushi when they found her. Shiro wasn't affected because both the times he wanted to return back.

There's this weird... feeling about this episode that I can't quite get past. It's the people who don't feel they have a future who can't see the shore. This is true with Michihi, where Shiro's words made her doubt herself as his wife, and her future in his hometown. With those doubts, she was consumed. This is also true with Shiro who was so caught up with his wife's death that he could not move forward.

He waited and grieved for 2 and a half years, and he should have moved on when he met that village girl... but he didn't. The moment he met his wife again, he lost sight of the shore, lost sight of his future, and became excited by the thought of returning to his lost past. I feel like there were allusions throughout the episode that Shiro may be suicidal (the only thing keeping him alive was the vagueness of his wife's death). The man was so haunted by his past, Ginko had to forcibly rip him away from it. That seems so sad.
Sep 18, 2015 9:09 AM

Aug 2008
That ending ost and ED.
ED was like the best thing every. I'm sure this ED was the best of them all. Most impacting tone.
ikutoSep 24, 2015 6:36 AM
Oct 15, 2015 7:41 PM
Aug 2015
Such a melancholic episode, yet beautiful. I think this one is about letting things go and moving on...
Maybe i shouldn't watch Mushishi before going to sleep, episodes like this make me feel so heavy/full of thoughts. :>
Oct 21, 2015 3:38 PM
Apr 2015
Sad ending, but good story (as usual).
(⇀‿‿↼) ( ͠°‿‿ °) ( ͡°‿‿ ͡°) (⍜‿‿⍜) (๏‿‿๏) (■‿‿■) ( ͡⎚‿‿ ͡⎚) (◕‿‿◕) (x‿‿x) (ᵔ‿‿ᵔ) ( ̄‿‿ ̄) (⪩‿‿⪨)
Apr 9, 2016 12:19 AM

Oct 2012
Mushi snake.. Why? She's innocent :(
"Signature removed"
May 2, 2016 4:53 AM

Dec 2015
I thought this ep was pretty boring.
Aug 19, 2016 1:45 AM

Mar 2012
Poor guy :(

At least he was able to fix things with his wife, even if it wasn't really her anymore. That gave him the closure he needed to move forward.
Oct 5, 2016 1:03 AM

Apr 2015
Saddest episode so far, so the wife didn't wanted to return to the shore at all so that she's finally consumed? But not really a bad ending though.
Oct 26, 2016 8:25 AM

May 2010
This show and its direction kills me emotionally.

So Ginko gave him a push and he took it well and started helping everyone with what he had learnt.

"I worry you might wash away with the tide" That's a very specific line when said to someone who just helped you and isn't really part of your family. Also, is that person a guy or girl? Sounds girly but there are some high-pitched boys too at that age, so I have my doubt.

So his wife actually wanted to try living with him but sorta wanted to die as well... I guessed it from her body language when they were arguing. I wish there was a bit more on her character tho, why she wanted to die (if there was a bigger reason apart from the fight) If she tried living with him, she might have gotten used to the newer surroundings (she even stated that she wanted to) I guess at the time they argued, she was upset and wanted to die for being a pain, and while that feeling was temporary, it was enough for her to get devoured. Sad.
I was surprised to see her alive. Even Ginko himself was surprised so I got even more surprised.
It's here again, the mushi time. That really intrigues me.

For a second, I thought he would die together with his wife (preferred actually) but this outcome is good, too. More realistic. Liked this story as well.
TragicRomanceOct 26, 2016 8:32 AM
May 31, 2017 7:36 PM

May 2013
Aww, poor Michihi :'( She did nothing wrong. You could tell she was offended because Shirou thought she wouldn't come with him when she in fact truly loved him and wouldn't hesitate following him anywhere </3 Even after death, nothing washed ashore so that Shirou wouldn't kill himself. Her belongings only floated back after Shirou was ready and at peace. His first wife was lovely TT^TT

During that moment of being reunited, I thought there was a chance that Shirou would ask to stay with Michihi, but I'm glad he decided to return with Ginko and move on with his new wife, especially since he promised not to leave her. Luckily Ginko came with or else that nigga would've drifted far away and never return to the shore =____='
Sep 20, 2017 8:45 AM

Apr 2013
Holy shit, the guy has some good trading skills. The one that should be blamed for this whole mess is the shop owner. The mushi were neutral.
Dec 10, 2017 12:42 PM

May 2016
Pretty sad episode poor guy at least the woman didn't have to be there for three years.
Apr 22, 2018 9:03 AM

Nov 2011
And here we go again, I could not let myself go to tears, after having witnessed another story so sad and full of melancholy, this time too I believed that there could be a happy ending, but this does not happen but a little consolation at the end is. Mushishi is an anime that leaves you dismayed, melancholy, but it is also so full of humanity and sweetness, it is anyway a pleasure to see it again and again.
Mar 2, 2019 9:27 PM

May 2016
His wife got spirited away by the sea of snakes and her years of absence only amounted to a mere three days but she wasn't human anymore. At least he knows that she's out there, flying and being part of something bigger even if it's a giant magical centipede dragon. He now has something to live for in the form of those around him and he'll finally be able to stop gazing out at the sea and wondering what to do next after that.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

131 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 8, 12:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.