Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2009 10:52 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty cool, I liked it, I especially liked the art. The story is great and original considering its time, not anything new considering today's standards though. You can clearly see how some more recent works were heavily inspired by this little OVA.

7/10 for this episode
VeethornOct 8, 2021 3:25 PM
Sep 26, 2010 1:47 AM
Jun 2008
the details quite amazing realy liked the animation and art
Apr 8, 2012 4:18 AM

Mar 2012
Aug 23, 2012 2:11 AM

Apr 2009
This reeks 1980's and Macross! LOL Reading from the synopsis here in MAL it shouldn't come as surprise. Shogo looks like Hikaru (Macross) and Eve Tokimatsuri is Sharon Apple (Macross Plus) and bunch of other parallels...

These two were obviously from another old but popular anime series and they're here in a police car chasing Shogo. LOL

That's Lupin III and Jigen from the eponymous Lupin III anime series and all it's sequels to those who may not know. >_<
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 18, 2013 10:05 AM

Mar 2010
So they're on a Macross, but they didn't know it?

Cool premise, especially fun for me since I just finished Macross a few weeks ago.

Also, I really love the attention to detail as far as the commercial branding is concerned. I think they're trying to say that Bahamut is metaphor for the corporate world which allows us to live in blissful ignorance of reality.
Aug 9, 2014 10:36 AM

Nov 2011
dash said:

(HOLY FUCKING HELL!)
May 25, 2015 6:51 AM
Apr 2012
This was the only good episode, if the story didn't drag on for 3 more episodes it wouldn't be so tedious.

zetsu_shoren said:
dash said:

(HOLY FUCKING HELL!)

That's not from episode 1. The art is completely dfiferent in the sequels.
Jun 12, 2015 12:25 AM

Feb 2008
I'll pretend that this is the actual Macross sequel, and not that Lovers Again crap.

The movie had an interesting idea, but the execution and dialogues were pretty bad at times. Especially the dialogues.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 23, 2015 8:26 AM

Sep 2013
ZetaZaku said:
The movie had an interesting idea, but the execution and dialogues were pretty bad at times. Especially the dialogues.

Yeah. Potential was definitely there. But as you mentioned, the execution and dialogue left much to be desired. Everything felt so rushed, editing was kind of odd in some places, and characters frequently made questionable decisions. In the end, it was simply okay.
Feb 24, 2016 3:49 PM

Dec 2015
Had this on my shelf for about 0 years thought I'd finally watch it.
Only watched art 1 so far. I like the 80s style mainly because I've seen it a lot before like in Road Avenger for the Mega CD etc.

The Characters, meh hard to get into them, I was a little sad about the film-making one Mai(?) dying, I thought that was a little harsh.

Aside from that I don't think I got to know much about hte motivations of the parties involved.

So there is:
The computer that controlled everything.
The Military who are trying to take control of the computer
Our heros.

I couldn't figure out what the military's real goal was, why the heros would side with the computer or vice versa or any of that. It wasn't well explained. The subtitles on my version weren't very good but I don't think that would have helped much.

I guess I'll watch part 2 to see if it makes any more sense.
Jun 25, 2016 4:41 AM

Dec 2015
The Sci-fi elements, chara-design, music/songs, the use of show-business (movies, virtual idol): almost a perfect recipe ! Transitions were the main letdown.
The fact it uses lots of what makes Macross doesn't deserve it (on the contrary). I loved the "Dark City take" on Macross.

A weak point could be the lack of clarity of the hero, in the middle of all the conflicts:
- Bahamuth, the super computer, is clearly an antagonist as am omniscient "being" who will never free its population. "You ignorant people can be happy thanks to your ignorance." But it also wishes to prevent further conflicts between surviving humans.
- the military/giants of the industry who now control Bahamuth and made a coup d'État wanted to set themselve free, but they don't want to share this freedom with the people and will maintain them in lies, using even propaganda to control the masses.
- the Hikaru look-alike hero when he starts to think about it is first revolted by the idea of not being the master of his life, then he pushes the military away too. After EVE's exposition of the past events and Bahamut's reasons, he seems to feel more comfortable to live in his usual illusional world than what the military want to achieve. At the end, he declares he will destruct the computer (who is probably what makes everything in the city-ship work and finally battles B.G.
Conclusion: I am not sure of what he really wants (but it might be explored in the next installment). For now, it seems like he would choose the old fake secured world over the fake military State his opponents just established.

Megazone 23 (Part I)
Enjoyment: 5/5
Score: 8/10 (less if I consider it has no conclusion)

I was surprised to see all those real brands (Coca-Cola, etc), is it sponsor product placement?

August 24, 2021
@FMmatron Let's say it... shifts strongly in style and focus. Hope you'll have a decent time with theM
Rei_IIIAug 24, 2021 3:03 PM
Apr 5, 2017 12:38 AM

Jun 2009
This was pretty amazing. Each character had their own life and story so they weren't all just background accessories. The details in the art were simply gorgeous and the music amplified the entire show.
I was enthralled by the plot, charcters, plot, everything. It can only go downhill now.
Jun 19, 2019 6:39 PM

Mar 2016
Well. that was pretty damn fun. It's basically an edgy Macross, with bike mechs. I have no complaints.

They certainly know how to set up a villain: Cute, floofy and optimistic filmmaker did not deserve that at all, and it pisses me off. Like another poster said, the characterization in this was impressive. In a little over an hour I feel like we really got to know the characters and their city really well.
syncrogazerJun 19, 2019 6:48 PM
Aug 8, 2019 3:36 PM

Jul 2008
How the hell does this have such a low rating? It's almost up there with Macross and there wasn't anything like it in 1985. If Macross is a 8.00 (should also be higher!) then this should be at least a 7.80. It's not a MAL only thing either, it has a bad rating everywhere. I'm guessing they drop the ball big time in the next episodes? It's weird they lumped Megazone 23 into a 4 episodes OVA when it was released as 2 movies and then a 2 episode OVA.

Not only is it underrated, it's under watched. Hopefully they succeed with the announced remake and sequel.
Ero-CamelAug 8, 2019 3:42 PM
Aug 20, 2019 1:52 PM

Feb 2012
First saw this around a decade ago now, never picked it up so I'm rewatching from parts 2, 3 nd 4.

HAVE A MCNICE MCDAY, that line....

Before Sharon Apple, before Hatsune Miku, there was Eve.

Is it me or do the cops chasing Shogo after he found out the truth about Eve look like Lupin and Jigen?

Really got that Macross influence with the whole idol being used for military propaganda thing.

I like that she thought that Shogo and Yui were acting when it was really genuine distaste for militarisation.

Feel so bad for Tomomi, all she wanted to do was to make a film.

Shogo is a absolute badass in that Hachimaki!

TIL Hilary Haag was Tomomi, that really adds to the whole Shammy Milliome aura her character gave off.

Now for part II which is entirely new to me.
Fortress_MaximusAug 20, 2019 2:05 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 10, 2020 3:22 PM

Aug 2017
B.D. was voiced by the same person as Oberstein from LOGH *_* I love his voice

There was a sign saying "David Bowie", and a CD (?) of "Erig Glapton" in Yui's apartment xD
Mai had a bag saying "Dagger of Kamui", another reference. Oh, and of course that McDonald's (and a Coca Cola sign in the last shot)

They even had Jigen and Lupin as cops haha. Lupin got killed by a military mine-thrower!

Even IBM computers are here! And there were Easter eggs in the machine language: "Godzilla" and "Cream Lemon" xD

Minigun sound effects were from Macross, I'm absolutely sure. The mechas were also clearly influenced by Macross. They even had lightsabers (Gundam/Star Wars)! Returning to Macross, Shougo reminded me of Hikaru a bit, and Mai of Minmay (ESPECIALLY when she put on those heart-shaped glasses in the beginning, almost looked like a scene from DYRL). Well, Mikimoto was the character designer here too, after all. And Noboru Ishiguro directed this part.

The way Shougo was "deleted" from the bed scene was interesting, nice accompanying song to his fatalistic monologue. Plus the whole idea of making him tell this truth to Yui during a moment of intimacy is a good directorial decision...he tries to comfort himself in order to deal with that horrible revelation.

But anyway, to think that virtual AI idols were already a thing in a 1985 cyberpunk anime...3 years after Macross.

Overall I really loved the first part of Megazone 23, didn't expect it to explore simulation theory. I thought it was just an old anime about cool bikes and singing xD I also thought that each part of this OVA is a self-contained story, but looks like it's not.

There were some jump cuts here and there but I didn't really bother them, they were not critical.

Also, I really love the attention to detail as far as the commercial branding is concerned. I think they're trying to say that Bahamut is metaphor for the corporate world which allows us to live in blissful ignorance of reality.

This also came to my mind

P.S. Hideaki Anno's cuts:
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/16979
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/16978
St0rmbladeAug 10, 2020 4:31 PM
Aug 21, 2020 4:34 AM

Jul 2016
Rei_III said:

A weak point could be the lack of clarity of the hero, in the middle of all the conflicts:
- Bahamuth, the super computer, is clearly an antagonist as am omniscient "being" who will never free its population. "You ignorant people can be happy thanks to your ignorance." But it also wishes to prevent further conflicts between surviving humans.

Rei always coming through with great posts and clearing some things up. I was a little confused about Bahumuth as it is a super computer giving everybody an ideal, fake work.. but actually trying to help humans in the process. Maybe I am missing something.. so the military trying to prevent Bahumuth.. so are they trying to do good? There is a alien ship coming, so is Bahumuth not aware of this or just not care? I was a little tired last night (and intoxicated), so maybe I missed some key points.

Overall, the animation is just phenomenal and I miss that style of drawing so damn much.
May 8, 2021 11:55 AM

Jul 2011
It was weird experience tbh.
The idea itself - having a chunk of land inside some big spaceship with computer-controllled physical reality simulation - is quite interesting.
As well as having some enemies trying to destroy the ship and humans inside.
So we got 2 aims from the very beginning: 1. Protect people from the enemy and 2. Reveal the secret of simulated reality.
But then we have some militas trying to take the computer down and control people themselves and at the same time fight enemies alone? Emm, kinda illogical and childish. I mean turning off the computer who protects all of you from outer threats and by that literally sacrifice all humanity to death? Why not temporarily cooperate with the computer in the first place? At least till other enemies are defeated.
Plot is really messy and some random shit was constantly popping up without any proper explanations.
Hope next episodes will make some clarity.

P.S. I understand that it was made in the 80s, but... Jeez, those songs are terrible :/
Aug 22, 2021 3:42 PM

Nov 2016
Damn, killing off Tomomi was nasty.

From style, to J-pop, concept, drama and characters, I enjoyed this a lot. The "conclusion" to this part was to my liking too.

@Rei_III expecting it to go downhill from here.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 3, 2022 6:11 AM

May 2018
The lack of common sense in this show is insane.
So, there is a very serious super secret bike thing. And a guy just decides to show this thing to his friend. No reasons, just for fun. And of course he gets immediately killed for that. Really?
Another guy hijacks the bike, manages to travel unnoticed through the city, makes phone calls, visits friends etc. And the omnipotent organization is somehow unable to track him down. REALLY?
Also, that laughable GTA trick with repainting the bike so cops can't detect you.

Jun 3, 2022 11:08 PM

Aug 2018
the animation is great but the mc is annoying and a lot of plotholes nice little story kinda matrix like but im going to drop it "reek of macross plus" lol
Jun 19, 2022 9:48 AM

Jan 2008
I...did not know what to think of episode 1. It just felt so all over the place, both structurally and thematically. The analysis in this thread is pretty on point about why the episode feels unsatisfying. The story just feels at odds with itself and what it wants to say. There's a lot of goofy shit too, like the main character just going around on his stolen mecha bike without a care in the world.

The aesthetic and style felt more reminiscent of 70s anime rather than 80s in my opinion, which was a little underwhelming, as I was expecting full on 80s fashion and cyberpunk-ish stuff.

It's got a pretty cool premise though. I'm not sure how likely it was that the Wachowskis were inspired by it (they have denied any influence), as I don't think the show was popular enough to be well known in the west.

I think I'll keep watching, just to see what the change in style feels like when other people took over production for part 3.

Loved the music.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 15, 2022 2:01 PM

Oct 2018
Well, the first thing I noticed other than the hyper detailed art work was the weird editing in the opening scene but there's a lot of cool shots including a POV (always a fan of those) so it doesn't matter a lot.

It's heavily influenced from Macross with the concept and especially, the mech designs. The storytelling does feel a bit messy, now of course not everything related to Bahamut has been cleared as it's just a part 1. Also, those military guys are simultaneously trying to protect the spaceship from the invaders as well as trying to overcome the Bahamut's influence at the same time(?) I don't know if that's really the best idea to do that at the same time but part 2 here we go.

It's so good to see such detailed art move so much. Those chase scenes were awesome. Overall, my favorite was the short Ichiro Itano scene that looks straight out of DYRL. The timing of that 2nd cut is so sweet, I assume he's also involved as SB on this scene.

@St0rmblade I thought Mikimoto only did the design for Eve and the rest were from Hirano (Yui especially, looks straight out of Iczer). Or is this an original designer-animation designer thing?
Oct 15, 2022 2:26 PM

Aug 2017
Etherius_ZS said:

@St0rmblade I thought Mikimoto only did the design for Eve and the rest were from Hirano (Yui especially, looks straight out of Iczer). Or is this an original designer-animation designer thing?

You're right, I didn't write it entirely correctly back then. Mikimoto's role wasn't very big.
Mar 16, 2023 6:48 AM
Mar 2023
Seems bizarrely self-aware for the time period. Didn't like some elements of raunch.
Apr 30, 2023 7:30 AM

Jan 2016
So I got a pack with the episodes in the wrong order, what they named Part I was actually the Part II, so I got very confused... it's ok when characters talk about some past event and you can understand by context but they were doing it too much and all their motivations and relations seemed too random, I mean, I did look at my cellphone a couple of times watching it but I didn't doze off and I like watching dub especially to not miss what is going on if I look away... even though I enjoyed the whole thing it felt badly written so I tried to look on wiki and sites to see if they had a plot of the first episode to see what I missed because it wasn't possible I didn't pay attention that much, and they were talking about influence on Matrix and I got way more confuse, then I came here and saw a comment saying it looked like 70's style... what???
So I just decided to ignore it and went to next episode, then after the intro it said Part III so yeah I figured the order was wrong, so I checked episodes length on IMDB and the one name as last episode was actually the first and I'm watching it now... damn, I missed a lot of context... but on another note, I think this is a cameo from Doumu manga (Katsuhiro Otomo)

PxHCApr 30, 2023 7:33 AM

Jun 29, 2023 10:35 PM
May 2017
I originally thought the story won't be that special instead the action will be the treat. But in fact it was the story that was really well-written. It was a great blend of Macross with Akira. I never thought it would turn out this deep. 
Jan 10, 8:47 PM

Jun 2021
What the fuck i watched ._.
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Mar 14, 12:54 AM
Mar 2024
A solid throwback that is better appreciated for its legacy of in influencing later Science Fiction media and as a time capsule of 80s anime than as a profound story that holds up to modern standards. An easy recommendation to anyone interested in doing their homework or simply just a fan of this period in time. If you can get your hands on the AnimEgo bluray, it's worth the buy for the extra features.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megazone 23 Episode 4 Discussion

tofei - Oct 3, 2012

11 by Adriannitro »»
Jan 13, 11:20 PM

Poll: » Megazone 23 Episode 3 Discussion

greenmarty - Jun 17, 2012

13 by Adriannitro »»
Jan 13, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Megazone 23 Episode 2 Discussion

Veethorn - Nov 2, 2009

37 by Adriannitro »»
Jan 12, 12:24 AM

» AIC RIGHTS Starts New Megazone 23 Reboot Project as "G-Project"

ims-tokyo - Mar 25, 2023

1 by almightybismarck »»
Dec 3, 2023 8:32 AM

» 1980's ANIME Movies Pack WRONG ORDER

PxHC - Apr 30, 2023

3 by LelPop »»
May 18, 2023 4:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.