Forum Settings
Forums

Standardization: Yuri/Yaoi and Shoujo Ai/Shounen Ai

New
Sep 5, 2014 8:41 AM

Feb 2008
So recently, I was looking at my MALgraph and noticed something rather perculiar. On my genre weight list, I noticed I had 1 anime with "Yuri" and 6 anime with "Shoujo Ai" watched.

This lead me to discover that the use of Yuri/Yaoi vs Shoujo Ai/Shounen Ai is not standardized on the genres for some entriess on MAL.

I found these definitions here on MAL.

Yaoi/Yuri: Anime whose central theme is a sexual relationship between two [same gender characters]. This implies Hentai.

Shoujo/nen Ai: Anime whose central theme is about a relationship (or strong affection, not usually sexual) between two [same gender characters]. Shoujo/nen Ai literally means "girl/boy love".

So that being said, it can be inferred that:

1) -Yuri/Yaoi should only be applied to Rx rated entires.
2) -Shoujo/nen Ai should not be applied to Rx rated entires.
3) -Yuri/Yaoi and Shoujo/nen Ai are mutually exclusive.

Using advanced search, I got these results (only in anime. Did not do manga):

1) -Yuri/Yaoi should only be applied to Rx rated entires.
NOT Rx Rating, Yuri. 12 results - Fail.
NOT Rx Rating, Yaoi. 21 results - Fail.
Condition FAIL

2) -Shoujo/nen Ai should not be applied to Rx rated entires.
Rx Rating, Shoujo Ai. 0 Results - Pass.
Rx Rating, Shounen Ai. 0 results - Pass.
Condition PASS.

3) -Yuri/Yaoi and Shoujo/nen Ai are mutually exclusive.
Yuri + shoujo Ai. 4 results - Fail.
Yaoi + Shounen Ai. 11 results - Fail.
Condition FAIL

Alternate Solution
As posted in post 2 of this thread, there is a link to a thread that suggested the removal of the Shoujo/nen Ai tag all together and replacing them with Yuri/Yaoi. Although the purpose THAT was suggested ultimately is different, it would also have the effect of fixing the issue brought up in this thread.
GodelSep 5, 2014 9:25 AM

Sep 5, 2014 8:45 AM
Sep 5, 2014 8:48 AM

Feb 2008

Thanks for input, but different thread for different purpose. I actually do NOT support the removing of Shoujo Ai/Shounen Ai genre category. If it comes down to that I can live with it.

The point of this thread is that genres in the MAL anime DB as defined by MAL's own definition of genres are inconsistant and should be fixed.

I do understand the purpose of that thread too. If MAL is moving to be more eastern, that would be the obvious choice of action to take. Buuut for now, just fixing the things they way they are rather than just changing them all together. (Changing it would be a much easier fix too though, tbh..)
GodelSep 5, 2014 8:56 AM

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8683 by Iranai_Sonsai »»
10 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

681 by SurgingSoulZX »»
10 hours ago

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Yesterday, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.