Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 4, 2014 4:21 PM

Mar 2010
Hey everyone, I love games and gaming, but one thing i never understood was the appeal of games that are centered around getting loot. For example games like Diablo or borderlands or the up coming destiny. I dont understand why it is appealing to do the same content over and over again.

I heard that people put massive amounts of time into playing diablo 2 back in the day just to get better gear and such, but my question is what do you do once you get better gear? is there certain levels that unlock when you have a certain gear level? or is it just getting gear for the sake of getting gear? and if that the case how is it that a game could have such longevity while essentially offering no new experience? i could understand if there was solid pvp elements in those games where you get the gear to have an advantage over other players, but i don't see what is appealing about fighting AI over and over again.

I just want to be clear that i am not bashing those games. I am just curious about the reason people find them appealing. Thanks.
Sep 4, 2014 4:25 PM

Aug 2008
Not interested unless there is a unique and appropriate change in a character's appearance.

The worst kind of loot-based gameplay uses excessive palette swaps and makes minor alterations to items with minor stat changes. I much prefer to upgrade equipment manually than to find "sword +1" in the field. Dragon's Dogma did it right.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Sep 4, 2014 4:26 PM

Jun 2008
I can't exactly explain why either. For me I guess it gives me a good thrill after grinding and grinding that I finally get that rare item which I seeked so badly.

I did a ton of that stuff on "Castlevania: Harmony of Despair."
Sep 4, 2014 4:28 PM

Jun 2014
Basically it's a man version of, women finding good clothes show them off to their friends and see who's better.

☆ミ(o*・ω・)ノ
Sep 4, 2014 4:28 PM

Jan 2013
It's like getting a golden ticket, you're the only that has it and you feel special.
Currently I'm doing a Skyrim playthrough and even store every enchanted or special weapon I find.
Why ... ?
Dont know ^^
Sep 4, 2014 4:32 PM
Oct 2012
They're chasing a carrot on a stick.
Sep 4, 2014 4:39 PM

Jul 2014
I am no psychologist, but my personal experience as a gamer as well as my intuition has led me to this conclusion:

Gaming is a lot about completing tasks and getting rewarded for it. The fact that you feel rewarded and get that sense of accomplishment when you receive loot makes you feel satisfied. The human dopamine neurobiology, at its core, is about anticipation and trying to predict rewards based on what's happening in our environment. It's all about pattern recognition. Whats more; unexpected dopamine rushes highlight failures in our predictive system, and it’s a system that’s designed to help us figure out why we didn't see life’s good things coming and thus how to find them again in the future. This is why the random nature of loot drops in many games is so effective at getting people to keep playing: it capitalizes on our brain’s attempts to predict the unpredictable.

Of course this is also dependent on the psychological makeup and tendencies of the players. Some people will find it enjoyable, others will not. Games like Diablo are much less reliant on story and characterization. They addict the type of people that are dependent upon instant gratification to get their fix.
Sep 4, 2014 4:40 PM

Mar 2010
Deserada said:
Not interested unless there is a unique and appropriate change in a character's appearance.

The worst kind of loot-based gameplay uses excessive palette swaps and makes minor alterations to items with minor stat changes. I much prefer to upgrade equipment manually than to find "sword +1" in the field. Dragon's Dogma did it right.

i see it would be motivating to have cooler looking armor. I feel like most loot games simply adjust the stats a bit and have minor skin changes like what you mentioned. however i can somewhat see the excitement behind finding a completely unique item.

Zeebrah said:
Basically it's a man version of, women finding good clothes show them off to their friends and see who's better.

☆ミ(o*・ω・)ノ

LOL
Retro8bit said:
I can't exactly explain why either. For me I guess it gives me a good thrill after grinding and grinding that I finally get that rare item which I seeked so badly.

I did a ton of that stuff on "Castlevania: Harmony of Despair."

I see but you need prior knowledge that the upgrade exists right? so would still play if you didnt have a specific item that you were looking for?

PrOxAnto said:
It's like getting a golden ticket, you're the only that has it and you feel special.
Currently I'm doing a Skyrim playthrough and even store every enchanted or special weapon I find.
Why ... ?
Dont know ^^

I am also playing skyrim and i am a bit of a hoarder in that game as well lol. but what makes skyrim interesting for me is that the game is not centered around getting loot but more around exploring a world that somewhat feels alive.l
Sep 4, 2014 4:47 PM

Mar 2010
Aerodust said:
I am no psychologist, but my personal experience as a gamer as well as my intuition has led me to this conclusion:

Gaming is a lot about completing tasks and getting rewarded for it. The fact that you feel rewarded and get that sense of accomplishment when you receive loot makes you feel satisfied. The human dopamine neurobiology, at its core, is about anticipation and trying to predict rewards based on what's happening in our environment. It's all about pattern recognition. Whats more; unexpected dopamine rushes highlight failures in our predictive system, and it’s a system that’s designed to help us figure out why we didn't see life’s good things coming and thus how to find them again in the future. This is why the random nature of loot drops in many games is so effective at getting people to keep playing: it capitalizes on our brain’s attempts to predict the unpredictable.

Of course this is also dependent on the psychological makeup and tendencies of the players. Some people will find it enjoyable, others will not. Games like Diablo are much less reliant on story and characterization. They addict the type of people that are dependent upon instant gratification to get their fix.

I see, so its like perpetually playing "cat and mouse " with the game. So the players are not playing against the Mobs infront of them but against the loot the mechanics and trying to minimize effort and maximize gain.
Sep 4, 2014 5:09 PM

Mar 2013
I used to be super hardcore into lootbased games back when I was a little younger. I played wow until the release of Wrath of the lich king before I realized it was all a tedious waste of time.

You play to get gear, but once you have the best then what? It just starts to feel like a second job.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Sep 4, 2014 5:32 PM

Dec 2012
I like the feeling of getting lots of loots, it especially feels good when you get a super rare one knowing it's worth a shit load of value.
Sep 4, 2014 5:42 PM

Feb 2008
All the loot and trading, i like to hoard good loot then trade it to build another character. But the route say games diablo3 is going ruins it. Haven't felt that rush of getting a item like an SoJ since d2 way back or since the runes and such in d2. D3 ruined that whole aspect for me, get another great item and it's fucking useless if no one in that specific game wants it might as well throw it away, not matter how rare it is. bind on account, and bind on pickup ruined loot for me.

Trading adds a barter/social aspect for me, if there's no actual set currency. Players generally start to use certain items while rare are not impossible to get as currency eventually. (Diablo 2= SoJ/certain runes . Phantasy star online=Photon drops for lesser rares). Then there's still bartering Item X for Item Y, Z, etc. Which i loved.

All gone now, not it's money money money.Diablo 3- No bartering, no trading. All binds to accounts for a few hours with the people in the game. Phantasy star online 2- All Mesta based. Those games ruined alot of what i found alot of fun about loot games.
Sep 4, 2014 5:43 PM

Jun 2014
Loot games are generally more challenging and have more interaction in them then non looting games
Sep 4, 2014 5:44 PM

Sep 2011
For a long time I really bought into the 'carrot on a stick' appeal of loot based games but eventually I just got sick of it. I still play Diablo 3 on occasion, sometimes I just want to melt face on my Wizard but then I hit the wall that is RNG and I quickly lose interest.

Nowadays I almost exclusively play character or story driven games. If it's just a tedious combat focused RPG I normally pass on it. Unless it's a game like SMT:IV with an addicting game play feature (demon fusion) or Pokemon. I also enjoy sandbox games like GTA/RedDead/Fallout.
Sep 4, 2014 5:54 PM

Apr 2011
it's for PvP
Sep 4, 2014 7:51 PM

Apr 2012
Because gamers are compulsive hoarders.
Sep 5, 2014 12:39 AM

Oct 2011
An alien concept called fun.
Sep 5, 2014 3:23 AM

Apr 2012
Lipi said:
An alien concept called fun.

I've never heard about it. It sounds pretty old-school.
Sep 5, 2014 3:28 AM

Oct 2012
Why do people like games I don't like?
Sep 6, 2014 10:32 AM

Jan 2013
Fullmetal89 said:
For a long time I really bought into the 'carrot on a stick' appeal of loot based games but eventually I just got sick of it. I still play Diablo 3 on occasion, sometimes I just want to melt face on my Wizard but then I hit the wall that is RNG and I quickly lose interest.

Nowadays I almost exclusively play character or story driven games. If it's just a tedious combat focused RPG I normally pass on it. Unless it's a game like SMT:IV with an addicting game play feature (demon fusion) or Pokemon. I also enjoy sandbox games like GTA/RedDead/Fallout.

Fallout is pretty much loot-based aswell
Sep 6, 2014 11:10 AM
Jun 2014
Really good weapons can make a huge difference that's why it's important to always look for better gear because you'll always level and your enemies too.

Look at Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode in Borderlands 2. If you don't have good gear, your'e fucked and if you get legendary weapons, they pretty much become irrelevant after two levels.
KaiwaiikillahSep 6, 2014 11:15 AM
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Sep 6, 2014 3:02 PM

Mar 2008
It simulates a feeling of making progress and adding to your personal wealth. It's the same reason why people like collecting and buying crap that they don't really need. But sometimes certain gear allows you to build your character to a certain potential that you've theorycrafted (ie. character/stat building, or seeing how far you can take a certain idea or concept). There's also the sense of elitism and pride that goes with possessing more items or power than others, which I guess goes back to the first point.
FuiSep 6, 2014 3:08 PM
Sep 6, 2014 9:41 PM

Sep 2011
PrOxAnto said:
Fullmetal89 said:

Fallout is pretty much loot-based aswell

I know but it's not as reliant on it as an MMO. I mean if you wanted you can make a new character go out get a mini-nuke and kill a few Deathclaws. That would be the equivalent of a level 1 killing a raid boss in 1 hit. I get your point though.
Sep 13, 2014 3:27 PM
Aug 2014
Dunno, I find those extremely boring. To me an rpg must have an amazing story/setting (Mass Effect series) and/or a solid combat system (Dark Souls). I got bored playing Borderlands after like 20 minutes
Sep 13, 2014 5:16 PM

Oct 2009
When you think of it, RPG gamers has a very low moral standard..

They kill any kind of creatures that stands in their way, they barge in to private properties and loot from peoples houses, they loot everything including from what they killed, and the more things they kills the stronger they becomes, and they continue to kill countless other living creature even those which is no threats to them, in order to get stronger.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 13, 2014 5:41 PM

Aug 2014
"Loot based games" you mean RPGs...
Sep 14, 2014 12:14 AM

Feb 2013
Nanet said:

Not all RPGs have loot zzZz
Sep 14, 2014 1:20 AM
Sep 2014
MoldyCereal said:
Nanet said:

Not all RPGs have loot zzZz

What RPG doesn't have some sort of loot system?
Sep 14, 2014 6:00 AM

Sep 2012
I mostly like loot-focused RPGs because of the ability to kill the tons of stuff, hence I vent my frustration through them. It is nice, though, to get a weapon with an amazing impact that feels game changing. But that's mostly what I look for there: weapons. Nice armor is nice and everything, but casting spells, swinging that freaking huge warhammer and decimating the foes is the feeling not many games can have.

Just sayin'.
Sep 14, 2014 4:38 PM
Nov 2008
everyone's secretly a pirate.
Sep 14, 2014 8:49 PM

Feb 2014
dity said:
everyone's secretly a pirate.

Beat me to it.

"Everything you see on the internet isn't true." -Abraham Lincoln
Sep 15, 2014 7:08 AM

Jan 2012
gives me raging boner (srs)

it's like infinite climax orgasmic feel when the shit you really want finally dropped after countless hours

your e-peen level is now through the roof (ie. flinging your now huge dick for others to admire, virtually speaking)

Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlhaJF5Afw
Sep 15, 2014 7:16 AM

Jul 2011
batossai said:
I dont understand why it is appealing to do the same content over and over again.

people who buy every call of duty game
Sep 16, 2014 12:59 AM

Apr 2014
Progression.

There's two kinds of progression. Concrete, and skillful.

Concrete progression is from things within the game obtained through playing. Loot based games being the best example. They have concrete items that allow you to progress. Items obtained by completing goals, or simply by playing the game.

Skill progression is where people play competitively and match their abilities against one another in that gaming environment. It allows you to see your skill progression by going up against other players and comparing your skill levels.

Loot based games just play on the concrete example more.

More topics from this board

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

15 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
35 minutes ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

28 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
40 minutes ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 9 hours ago

1 by rootje_43 »»
2 hours ago

» Whats a game you'd see yourself as an expert in? ( 1 2 3 )

Disapeared_Ghost - Jun 28, 2021

147 by rootje_43 »»
2 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

51 by juanlqr »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.