Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2009 7:55 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 2: Shadow Land

The mystery of what Joon Sang's mother was thinking about.

Joon Sang and Yu Jin starts becoming good friends and she starts to know him a bit more.

Joon Sang's father does not know Joon Sang as his son.

Sang Hyuk appears when he sees Joon Sang and Yu Jin still being together at night.
Oct 25, 2009 10:38 PM

Feb 2009
Just saw the Raw. Kind of cool not needing the subs for once, though they still help.

Yu Jin is still cute and charming as all get out.

Don't quite know why, but that little moment of them in the bus using their bandages to fix up their seat in front made me smile.

Actually, there are a lot of those moments between them which I enjoy. Not a lot really seems to happen in them, but they just make you feel good seeing them togetehr, you know?

Oct 26, 2009 5:01 PM
May 2007
what the hell!!?? why wasn't yujin dancing to dancing queen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2gtro0qC1E
Oct 26, 2009 6:20 PM

Feb 2009
ParaParaJMo said:
what the hell!!?? why wasn't yujin dancing to dancing queen?

It's possible they couldn't get the rights to the song.

Oct 27, 2009 3:52 AM

Apr 2009
Well, for now I really like this anime. I haven't seen the drama, but I like what I see.

There's only one big annoying thing for me here... Yujin's voice is horrible. No offense, but she sounds like a woman in her 50s and she tends to scream a lot - the voice actress is so young and beautiful and her voice is... um... horrible T_T

Regading their relationship, it's kinda a classical story. He's a really nice guy. But really, why is he always trying to make that other guy angry? Because of Yujin or for his own amusement? It's just that it's really funny.

And oh, about those bandages on the bus. Yeah, it also made me smile. It's just like real life - when you're in love or you're simply happy with your family or friends, such small things make you smile ^^

Such a kind anime, and pretty slow-paced. I wish it had more than 26 episodes. How many episodes are in drama?
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Oct 27, 2009 8:29 AM

Sep 2008
is it just me or this show is not weekly? :O
Oct 27, 2009 10:54 AM

Feb 2009
Neilikki said:

It is, just that the subbers are starting to catch up.

Oct 27, 2009 12:48 PM
Jul 2009
ArnoldK said:
Neilikki said:

It is, just that the subbers are starting to catch up.

Yeah, we had a bit of a slow start.

LenaleeMelodee said:
Well, for now I really like this anime. I haven't seen the drama, but I like what I see.

There's only one big annoying thing for me here... Yujin's voice is horrible. No offense, but she sounds like a woman in her 50s and she tends to scream a lot - the voice actress is so young and beautiful and her voice is... um... horrible T_T

Regading their relationship, it's kinda a classical story. He's a really nice guy. But really, why is he always trying to make that other guy angry? Because of Yujin or for his own amusement? It's just that it's really funny.

And oh, about those bandages on the bus. Yeah, it also made me smile. It's just like real life - when you're in love or you're simply happy with your family or friends, such small things make you smile ^^

Such a kind anime, and pretty slow-paced. I wish it had more than 26 episodes. How many episodes are in drama?

What can I say, Korean women probably started the whole tsundere meme to begin with. Try watching the original K-drama, it's a lot shabbier than people seem to remember it as being. Modern day k-dramas have a huge step up in terms of quality of production, especially the shorter ones that run on for 13-26 episodes.
Oct 27, 2009 1:20 PM

Feb 2009
traen said:

What can I say, Korean women probably started the whole tsundere meme to begin with. Try watching the original K-drama, it's a lot shabbier than people seem to remember it as being. Modern day k-dramas have a huge step up in terms of quality of production, especially the shorter ones that run on for 13-26 episodes.

I'm watching the K-Drama alongside it, and it's holding up pretty well. The scene with Yujin dancing in the soundproof radio booth was funnier in the original- She's dancing to ABBA of all groups, and her expression when she finds out Joon Sang was watching the whole time was priceless. :)

Oct 27, 2009 1:37 PM

Aug 2007
lol, bonding over the piano, long walks in the park, boat riding with the wind whipping through her hair... all so cliche! But I can't lie. I did smile at a lot of it. And I'm slowly warming up to them both. I'm quite interested to see how they end up where they are when they're older.
Oct 27, 2009 1:57 PM

Aug 2008
I liked this episode. I've warmed up to Yujin's voice actress more, but now, the choppy animation bothered me. Also, where'd they get the bike from?
Oct 27, 2009 5:27 PM

Jul 2009
And Yujin's favorite song is....AMAGAD!!!!, damn, I would love to have the full version of it...=d

I think she loved her pop a lot as she keep saying "Papa! Papa!! Papa!!!", or maybe her favorite fruit was papa-ya? Dooo me heeere in papayaaaa... Oups, sorry, guess I was carried on with some song...

I'm not sure whether I was loli intoxicated or not but I could swear before the sacred boobs of Bantorra that I heard the megane gal said: "Oppai!!!" 8-)

Oh well, even though I knew the plot and his reason, I can't help but think that he was a dick in this ep whenever he treated the other guy. IRL, his pretty face would already be crushed before long....

Other than that, enjoyable episode, a bit disappointed about the inferior 2D version of Oh-Chelin (was it?). In the drama, I kept hoping that she would take the female lead role instead of the other one...

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Oct 27, 2009 10:49 PM
Apr 2008
noteDhero said:
I liked this episode. I've warmed up to Yujin's voice actress more, but now, the choppy animation bothered me. Also, where'd they get the bike from?

I agree with you on animation part on that. I was bit disappointed when I saw lip movement and vocal were off sync =/ Hope they take care of those issues in future episodes.
Also on Bikes, In Korea, there are parks where you can actually borrow bicycles, in hourly fee, (I remember this since when I was young my uncle took me around parks on bicycle.)
Oct 28, 2009 1:22 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, two episodes in and we're already having a love triangle xD Pretty good. Yujin's voice didn't really bother me. Also,
ParaParaJMo said:
THIS gave me the lulz.
Oct 28, 2009 6:22 AM
May 2007

As for why Joon Sang doesn't like Sang Hyuk, it was already explained in episode 1

Oct 28, 2009 8:41 AM

Jul 2009
ParaParaJMo said:
As for why Joon Sang doesn't like Sang Hyuk, it was already explained in episode 1

Well, thing is the reason that made him pissed off is Hyuk's father, not Hyuk himself, so why the heck does he keep pestering the poor guy? And even in the drama, I felt sorry for Hyuk since....

I sincerely hope the anime will make some change and having someone beat the shit out of Joon Sang for once to put back some senses to this guy, I don't know what girls find attractive in those kinda guys but that attitude of people-around-me-suck-I'm-da-best seriously turned me off...<_<

Oct 28, 2009 2:52 PM
Jan 2009
Does anybody know the name of the song that Joon Sang plays on the piano ?

He calls it first but i didn't find it anywhere
Oct 28, 2009 3:01 PM
May 2007
It's called "First Time."
Oct 28, 2009 10:21 PM

Jul 2007
Wait wait ... where the heck did that bike suddenly come from ?! And a boat?! Holy crap how do they manage to do all of this after school lol
Oct 28, 2009 10:28 PM

Jul 2009
neverless said:
Wait wait ... where the heck did that bike suddenly come from ?! And a boat?! Holy crap how do they manage to do all of this after school lol

I guess the Koreans' technology has advanced 'nuff for them to create Doraemon? ;)

Oct 28, 2009 11:26 PM

Oct 2007
amusing ep but i'm sure the kdrama youtube clip wins over for this week
Oct 29, 2009 3:02 AM
Jul 2009
Puff-kun said:
Here's to hoping Episode 3 actually airs.

It will, Puff. We would've gotten a warning if it wouldn't at the last episode.
Oct 29, 2009 8:00 AM

Feb 2009
neverless said:

Bikes are commonly available for rental at parks in Korea. Not sure about the boats but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the same.

Oct 29, 2009 8:58 AM
Nov 2008
I think I've narrowed down what I don't like about this show. The main characters are just flat out unlikable. Yujin is a bitch, Joonsang is a jackass. They have a handful of cute moments together in this episode, but looking at the whole picture, I just don't see many likeable qualities. And from what we've seen of the future, they appear to go from bitch and jackass to bland and uninteresting. I think I'll give it one more episode to try to convince me otherwise, but I don't have high hopes at this very moment.
Oct 29, 2009 9:20 AM
Jul 2008
I'm glad they didn't dub it in Japanese, but kept it in Korean like the dorama series actually is. Love the background music!
aksdldew3Nov 13, 2009 5:48 AM
Oct 29, 2009 4:35 PM

Mar 2009
Hmm, Im starting to like the anime now, will have to watch the K-Drama once Winter Sonata anime's over lol
Oct 29, 2009 11:50 PM

May 2007
Ugh. I'm dropping it. I can see the appeal for the people who either (a) have never seen the drama or (b) LOOOOVED the original. I fit in neither category and it doesn't make sense in my mind to sit through an animated re-enactment of the drama -- that's somehow 1/3 of the length or the original and yet feels just as long.

I was hoping for an updated version, a reinterpretation... something that brought something new to the table. I don't even see the point for them to make something like this. I'm disappointed.
Oct 30, 2009 7:45 PM

Apr 2009
Hahaha bout the bike.
Oct 31, 2009 7:31 AM

Jun 2007
thalandor46 said:
I think I've narrowed down what I don't like about this show. The main characters are just flat out unlikable. Yujin is a bitch, Joonsang is a jackass. They have a handful of cute moments together in this episode, but looking at the whole picture, I just don't see many likeable qualities. And from what we've seen of the future, they appear to go from bitch and jackass to bland and uninteresting. I think I'll give it one more episode to try to convince me otherwise, but I don't have high hopes at this very moment.

You pretty much summed up how I feel. The guy is an emotionless dick, basically bullying a nice guy for no good reason and getting respect for dickish actions. The girl, on the other hand, is ignoring how her nice guy friend feels, whilst being lovey-dovey with the new bad boy. Neither of them are likeable. And, like you said, they looked very dull in the future; they don't develop into interesting people.

It looks nice and the story is good enough for a romance, but the characters just aren't the type you can cheer for. Maybe that'll change, but right now I feel nothing for either of them.

On the plus aside, at least the TV series is better than 'Episode 0'. I struggle to imagine a more boring and lifeless introduction.
Oct 31, 2009 10:42 AM

Jul 2009
Aionic said:
thalandor46 said:

You pretty much summed up how I feel. The guy is an emotionless dick, basically bullying a nice guy for no good reason and getting respect for dickish actions. The girl, on the other hand, is ignoring how her nice guy friend feels, whilst being lovey-dovey with the new bad boy. Neither of them are likeable. And, like you said, they looked very dull in the future; they don't develop into interesting people.

LOL that's what you get when you're good-looking, no matter what kind of dick are you, girls will still like you. And from most of the shojo(s) that I happened to see, seems like the female leads are fine with being RAEP by anybody, as long as he is attractive. ;p

Oct 31, 2009 12:20 PM
May 2007
when will the anime include "my memory" in the soundtrack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogDu4vTVhI
Oct 31, 2009 1:02 PM

May 2008
I guess this one was better than the last episode..

Nov 1, 2009 2:45 AM
Jul 2009
BitchMaster said:
Aionic said:
thalandor46 said:

LOL that's what you get when you're good-looking, no matter what kind of dick are you, girls will still like you. And from most of the shojo(s) that I happened to see, seems like the female leads are fine with being RAEP by anybody, as long as he is attractive. ;p

You guys need to watch more of the series. It's kind of hinted at why he's such an emotionless prick already, but the pacing of a Korean drama is a lot different from an in your face LOL-HERE'S-THE-EXPOSITION-AND-DEVELOPMENT-IN-ONE-EPISODE of a j-animu.

Also, the translation job for episode 3 is finished, but we'll be in some technical difficulties for another day or two.
Nov 1, 2009 3:39 AM
May 2007
You guys need to watch more of the series. It's kind of hinted at why he's such an emotionless prick already,

Nov 1, 2009 9:29 AM

Jul 2009
traen said:
You guys need to watch more of the series. It's kind of hinted at why he's such an emotionless prick already, but the pacing of a Korean drama is a lot different from an in your face LOL-HERE'S-THE-EXPOSITION-AND-DEVELOPMENT-IN-ONE-EPISODE of a j-animu.

No, I already knew why a long time ago, and I don't care if he's an emotionless prick or whatever, what got and still gets on my nerves is that he picked on a nice guy who doesn't have anything to do with his so-called "reason" and get away without getting punched in the face. <_<

Nov 1, 2009 3:40 PM
Jul 2009
BitchMaster said:
traen said:

No, I already knew why a long time ago, and I don't care if he's an emotionless prick or whatever, what got and still gets on my nerves is that he picked on a nice guy who doesn't have anything to do with his so-called "reason" and get away without getting punched in the face. <_<

Oh. That's cuz Sanghyuk's such a nice guy.
Nov 2, 2009 9:48 AM

Jul 2008
i just realized how little i still remember from the original drama but watchin this anime version i've started to remember more and more things. Sure it's a romance series full of cliches but somehow i still seem to enjoy watchin this. and i luv the korean dub..so glad they kept it. and the best thing ever about it is the fact that the girls don't sound like their 5-year-olds as they usually do in jap dubs...YAY!!!^^

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Nov 4, 2009 1:33 PM

Aug 2007
They should have sticked to Abba instead of what they used in this episode... I definitely start to like it. I liked this episode way more than the first. The broadcast part was hilarious. Do want to see more episodes.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Nov 6, 2009 4:49 AM

Sep 2009
LenaleeMelodee said:

Exactly thats what i was goin to say,because of her voice the korean language even sounds pathetic.Have never watched a korean show before but heard it in songs and all, it never sounds like the way the women speaks.Guess its too late to make changes to the voice actors huh..

So why was the animation so bad, did you see the way people where running in the background? Yu's eyes looked crooked someitmes when she looked. Still not giving up on the anime.1st ep was too influential to prevent from dropage.

BitchMaster said:

Very true!! read smut shoujos, theres always a bad sexy guy who rapes, and the girl always falls for him..always!!women too blinded by looks, and they usually seem to have a liking for the rape.
recent eg : yozo from aoi bangaku, he was never alone due to his good looks..^__^
Nov 6, 2009 1:34 PM

Feb 2009
Linalee-Stratos said:
LenaleeMelodee said:

Exactly thats what i was goin to say,because of her voice the korean language even sounds pathetic.Have never watched a korean show before but heard it in songs and all, it never sounds like the way the women speaks.Guess its too late to make changes to the voice actors huh..

Oh come on, her voice is NOT THAT BAD, people!

Here's a clip of her in the original drama (episode 1, no spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCXBIHVqJN0

By the way, the Japanese fans would pretty much lynch the producers if they changed the voice actors.

Nov 8, 2009 12:43 AM

Sep 2009
ArnoldK said:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCXBIHVqJN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCXBIHVqJN0

actually i still dislike her voice...the guys voice is really good...ya the girls voice annoys me even after wathcing the clip...thanks for sharing atleast had a little glimpse of the drama...i feel like watching it now...^__^
Nov 8, 2009 4:00 PM

Jul 2009
Linalee-Stratos said:
ArnoldK said:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCXBIHVqJN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCXBIHVqJN0

actually i still dislike her voice...the guys voice is really good...ya the girls voice annoys me even after wathcing the clip...thanks for sharing atleast had a little glimpse of the drama...i feel like watching it now...^__^

It's not her fault, seems to me like Korean has certain number of words that require rough pronounciation and made foreign listeners think that the female speakers might be in a bad mood or something...

The same happened with all the girls' voice in another popular Korean drama series named "My Gal" too. Speaking of which, I really do hope it also will turn into an anime serie someday cuz some of the humor there is just priceless LOL XD

Nov 11, 2009 3:11 AM

Aug 2009
BitchMaster said:
Linalee-Stratos said:
ArnoldK said:

It's not her fault, seems to me like Korean has certain number of words that require rough pronounciation and made foreign listeners think that the female speakers might be in a bad mood or something...

The same happened with all the girls' voice in another popular Korean drama series named "My Gal" too. Speaking of which, I really do hope it also will turn into an anime serie someday cuz some of the humor there is just priceless LOL XD

Actually, they ARE in bad mood... :P Even Korean myself feels like that.

Not all, but some of female actress over-expresses, or false-expresses their feelings in drama, which is one of the lots of things that I don't like about k-drama.
Jan 28, 2016 4:42 AM

Dec 2012
Poor Sang Hyuk.

People here complaining about her voice. Well, i think her voice is fine, it just different with some cute japanesse anime VA. Her voice is nomal for some high schooler or maybe because I had been watching some korean drama.
(wow last comment since 6 years), interesting.

Feb 17, 2018 8:18 PM

Mar 2013
What is the friend mad about? She's not your girlfriend man!

I like the girl, Yujin. She seems mature and looks really charming. I feel the way she and Joonsang are carrying their relationship is pretty natural. Makes it all more interesting for me because it feels just like real life. Also, I don't see the problem with her voice. Maybe people above were too used to the high-pitched unrealistic voice every girl in Japanese anime has.
Feb 18, 2019 5:57 PM

Jun 2015
i dont dislike the girls voice, it actually heavily reminds me of jun ji hyun. i'm surprised the voice actor isnt her.
Dec 29, 2020 1:40 PM
Mar 2018
So I liked this episode more than the previous one. You could actually cut the romantic tension with a knife. I really enjoyed the banter between Yujin and Cheensong. There are 1 or 2 moments where the animation proved to be a bit weird but overall it's fine I suppose. I also felt that the music is a bit too melodramatic which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing as just from this two episodes all e, I have a feeling that this is a story heavily steeped in melodrama.

As for predications, I got the impression that the professor from the end of the last episode was Cheensong's dad(or atleast that's what he thinks). And I also got this feeling that he believes that this professor is also the father of Yujin from their talk during the piano recital. Now it may not be true and if it, let's hope to God that this guy is actually her adopted father or something because I won't stand for any incestous relationships. I also wonder what's up with the flashback with the mom at the start of the episode. Curious to know what that's about.

Overall, a very good episode and I can't wait to see the next one.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 26 Discussion

Hercule - Oct 16, 2010

27 by Short_Circut »»
Oct 15, 2022 9:05 AM

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 5 Discussion

Valentiln - Jan 4, 2010

12 by CatLoverMoshi »»
Oct 11, 2022 6:05 PM

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 4 Discussion

ParaParaJMo - Nov 9, 2009

22 by Neil1998 »»
Dec 30, 2020 4:59 AM

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 23 Discussion

Siva - Sep 6, 2010

6 by 3miL »»
Sep 15, 2020 11:11 PM

Poll: » Winter Sonata Episode 20 Discussion

ueda - May 22, 2010

10 by 3miL »»
Sep 15, 2020 7:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.