Forum Settings
Forums

Determining of the ''character from'' section for manga only characters?

New
Sep 3, 2014 5:07 PM
Oct 2013
How is the "character from" section in the "Favorite Characters" list determined? I mean the grey title which is written beneath the character name. And to be more specific, for characters who have no role in any anime yet.

Because I thought it's just the chronological first manga entry. But this character (Jun Aikawa) contradicts this thought (like it's seen in my profil). First appearance and chronological first entry would be Zaregoto (2002). But instead, the related entry is a spin-off manga/adaptation of a side story (Ningen (2004)) which came out in 2011. Before this manga (Zerozaki Soushiki) was published, I guess there was another related entry (maybe Zaregoto).

So my question is: why has it been changed to a spin-off manga? Or in general: how is the related entry for a character determined exactly? And when does it change?
Sep 3, 2014 6:58 PM

Jul 2013
Check the type. Manga, manhua, manhwa supersede light novels.

[i]edit: typo
AnaSep 3, 2014 7:13 PM
Sep 5, 2014 3:56 PM
Oct 2013
orithyea said:

So does the type matter, even though both are in the same database? I get that an anime entry dominates a manga entry. But Why does the type "manga" dominate the type "novel" (or others)? Is it this way just because?
QonellSep 5, 2014 4:26 PM
Sep 5, 2014 9:53 PM

Jul 2013
Qonell said:
orithyea said:

So does the type matter, even though both are in the same database? I get that an anime entry dominates a manga entry. But Why does the type "manga" dominate the type "novel" (or others)? Is it this way just because?
Yes, that's what I said, and that's simply how it's coded. Don't limit it to just the separation of the anime and manga database.

You'd also have to understand that the light novel entries here rely on their anime and manga counterpart, which implies a lower priority.

edit: It seems that MAL also considers the manga's status i.e. Koiwai Yotsuba's grey text is Try! Try! Try! Webcomics instead of Yotsuba despite it having a lower manga ID. We see this too with Ylfa. The grey text is Ganso Ylva-chan instead of Vinland Saga. "Finished" supersedes "publishing". Basically:

manga = manhwa = manhua > one-shot > light novels
finished > publishing
AnaSep 9, 2014 12:21 AM

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Character & People DB - Recent Merges/Removals ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kuroshiroi - Dec 6, 2009

1385 by Lady_Andromeda »»
5 hours ago

» Picture Change/Remove Request

grin3671 - Jul 19, 2022

1 by Zuudachi »»
Apr 10, 7:52 AM

» Wrong picture uploaded for German voice actor

potionmistress - Mar 23

0 by potionmistress »»
Mar 23, 3:52 PM

» Requesting simple Noein character default displayed picture change

AWGXXX - Mar 19

0 by AWGXXX »»
Mar 19, 12:25 AM

» Incorrect person used for mangaka's picture

_cjessop19_ - Mar 15

0 by _cjessop19_ »»
Mar 15, 6:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.